Dead protein / hairstyles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

marshlight

Dead protein / hairstyles

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:15 am UTC

So I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, and I'm kind of tired of what I've got going on at the moment. It seems like all my good friends are chopping it off and getting really cute, short cuts and that's what I've been wanting for a long time. Except I am also a huge fan of being lazy and pulling it back into a ponytail and forgetting about it. Blargh.

Anyway I guess what I'm really asking is if anyone A) has immediate recommendations or B) knows of any good free photoshop-y hairstyle websites (where you submit a picture of yourself and can overlay different things, etc).

In lieu of that I will continue on my Google image search. Thanks!
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:22 am UTC

Haircuts are bad! The short hair allows the mind beams to penetrate.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

notallama

Postby notallama » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 am UTC

sideways reverse mohawk.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:27 am UTC

buzzcut

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:30 am UTC

I don't know what you look like, and can therefore offer no constructive advice.

That being said, cut your own hair. With a lawnmower. All the cool kids are doing it.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Hrtbrkone

Postby Hrtbrkone » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 am UTC

Check out Japanese models singers and actresses.

Their hairstyles are hawt.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 am UTC

Oh right.

There are pictures of me here, here, y aqui!

Err, otherwise, I don't really have any huge wish for bodily harm or prerequisite product. >.>

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Regardless of how you style it, you should only ever get your hair cut during the months of September and May.

There is no particular reason for this, of course. It's just that every one I've gotten since 2002 has been in one of those months or the other. (I'm about due for another one, I think.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:06 am UTC

Get bangs. My trendy friend has bangs.

I just cut off like six inches of hair last week. It's hell of weird, but I want to cut off even more.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:11 am UTC

I dunno, short hair sucks cause its harder to control...well for me anyway, it doesn't know how to stay back unless theres shoulders in the way!

I guess you could get short hair if you're not worried about it, you'd probably look cute. I'd say ick to bangs though...

BTW Trumpet kicks ass. :D

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 am UTC

I'd say long hair is harder to control, but it has more versatility (which I think is what you meant)

Klye

Postby Klye » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:29 am UTC

Bangs are good as long as you do them right -- no little kid bangs that start in the middle of your head.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:29 am UTC

I go for buzzcuts because I pay so little attention to my hair (it's being a couple months since I even shaved my face, yay for never leaving my house), and with buzzcuts I don't even have to think about combing it for a couple months.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Castaway wrote:I'd say long hair is harder to control, but it has more versatility (which I think is what you meant)

No what I meant was that short hair likes to get in my face ALL THE TIME, and it's hard to do anything with it to prevent that. I've only cut my hair short once and I hated it because it's hard to keep in line, with long hair it naturally stays behind my shoulders and ears instead of getting in my face, I don't need to do anything to it aside from brush it. If it's obnoxiously windy or something then it's easy to put in a ponytail.

It might be different from some people, but really long hair is NOT harder to control than short hair in my case.

I dunno about Marsh, but it looks like her hair is relatively strait like mine, I dunno if it's as thick though...but if she cuts it short it may be just as much a pain for her to keep it behind her ears.
Last edited by lorenith on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Yeah, I've done the bangs thing before, and I think I'm pretty done with them. The problem with my hair is it doesn't really do anything...it's ridiculously flat.

Ah, hair worries. How persistently useless but sadly critical you are.

Edit: it's true that it flies all around even when it's the length it is now. I suppose any shorter would just be worse. Ah, fudgesticks!

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:50 am UTC

I'd like straight hair, but maybe only because the grass is greener on the other side.

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:38 am UTC

Hmm. Having now seen the hair in question, I must respectfully reiterate my nononononodon'tcutitdon'tcutitdon'tcutit statement.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:42 am UTC

The curly-haired people I know wear it incredibly well (except for my brother, because apathy and jew-fros don't mix) and I think girls with curly hair are quite cute. However, I have never been one to progress past the 2-in-1 and have accumulated a lot of laziness because my hair doesn't do anything. I like how my hair feels for the thirty minutes it's wavy after pulling out a braid or something, but I imagine it's harder to take care of. *shrug!*

And since my google searches have yielded nothing useful, I suppose this discussion is kind of moot because I'm not going to chop much off without a plan. But conversation about hair and such could continue!

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:54 am UTC

If you want cute, short cuts, go to the madradhair livejournal community. I was going to go find the pic of what I'm getting, if you look back and see a super pretty blonde chick with bright blue eyes, not too emo/scene, and her hair is like, an inch above her shoulders, that's what I'm getting. Her bangs are fantastic. As are the bangs and hair of many people who post in this community.

A lot of people think that Madradhair is entirely emo/scene/goffik, but it's not, really. It's for anyone who thinks they have nice hair.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:24 am UTC

That's weird, me too. Alisto wins this thread, by the way. That site is very very helpful.

http://www.hairstylesdesign.com/gallery ... n=register is what I think I'm getting.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:28 am UTC

The mens selection is really bad.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:30 am UTC

I got mine cut yesterday, I hate it :( I'm scared to go out in public.

Yeah, I'm an idiot, so don't bother re-telling me.
=]

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:31 am UTC

Master Gunner wrote:I go for buzzcuts etc buzzcuts

My point exactly.

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:27 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I got mine cut yesterday, I hate it :( I'm scared to go out in public.

It's not idiocy, it's MIND BEAMS.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:31 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I got mine cut yesterday, I hate it :( I'm scared to go out in public.

I got mine done on Monday. Way too short, looks terrible on ice. Waiting for it to grow long, and then I'll dye the left half purple.

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 am UTC

i recently cut my hair REALLY short, like... just below my ears. Man, it seemed a really good idea at the time. Im still growing it out :( and I still dont like it. It looked awesome for about a week... and then I got tired of doing it properly and it got just the right length to look ugly. So just think LONG and HARD about cutting it all off. I went from hair down to my boobs to hair brushing my ears and it was WRONG.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:35 am UTC

If it's the first time you're going a bit shorter, don't go shorter than your shoulders. If you like it short, you can always get it even shorter later on!

Also, really make sure your hairdresser knows what measurements are. It took me weeks to grow my hair out the time my hairdresser decided

<-------------------------------------->

was 3cm. I get mine layered, so it honestly felt like half my hair was gone.

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 pm UTC

my hairdresser is my sister.. boy does she get yelled at sometimes. I used to have my hair short all the time when I was younger.

I think haircuts are meant to look good for one week and terrible for the next 6 months till you get the courage to cut it again.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.

-Neil Gaiman

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

you should get your hair shoulder length. its the hottest length imo. for my hair i prefer then mohawk, but right now i have it buzzed due to me looking for internships.

and heres a link to my mohawk http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=256695#256695

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:32 pm UTC

A bob (I think thats what they call it) with bangs. I like that cut on a lady, well most of the time.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

youuuu bastahd. you beat me to it. i was going to say bettie page bangs ALLL THE WAY!!

but i'm about to chop mine off again, and they dont work w/ every face shape. =P

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

You are required to post pics of your new doo.

kilgore trout

Postby kilgore trout » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

Dying your hair a different color is a good way to make a change, without the commitment cutting your hair requires.

As someone who went from long hair to short I would advise keeping it long enough to still do a mangeable pony tail. I cut mine a couple inches above my shoulders and when I attempted a pony tail the bottom half of my hair wouldn't even stay in, and my pony tail was a short, ridiculous looking stub.

Lucien

Postby Lucien » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

High and tight. Zero on the sides, and maybe five or six on top. Go to any barber shop and they'll do it for ya real cheap.

It's the easiest hairstyle to maintain.

You'll also go a long time before you need to get it cut by a professional again. Maybe trim up the edges above the ears if you're looking for real fancy. Maybe a month or so.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:55 pm UTC

The way you described that sounds like Butters from South Park.

Dalenthas

Postby Dalenthas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

Don't cut your hair. Girls look better with longer hair almost 100% of the time. Looking at the pics you posted, you look like one of the ones that'd look really lame with shorter hair. No offense. You look cute in those pictures though, so keep your hair long. Grow it out even longer!
You can't take the sky from me...
Well, I suppose if you put me in a windowless box that'd be like taking the sky...

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

I haven't had a serious haircut in around six years, so I couldn't help you.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

The Louise Brooks style has just come back into vogue and I really love it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

Shave your head. Completely. Skin only. No "I shaved my head but actually I still have an eighth of an inch of fuzz"

Shave it. Completely.

Start over.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”