Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

just-mark

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby just-mark » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:34 am UTC

Despite being pretty new to the fora myself I'm going to pretend I've been around for ages and welcome The_Great_Yoshi_Rider, Cue, Vicariously-Kaiser and songwithnosoul. Hello :D

The_Great_Yoshi_Rider wrote:…I'm a spriter (though not that great), love video games…

*makes mental note in case I ever need a spriter* Do you make sprites for any particular purpose (games, art, wallpapers, etc) or just for the fun of it?

Cue wrote:…my C# is developing quite well, and I'm looking into Objective C…

What's the learning curve been like for Objective C so far? I've been meaning to look into it myself but other things keep pushing it down my to-do list.

Vicariously-Kaiser wrote:…just about to start college in the UK. I will be studying Advanced Maths, Chemistry, Theology and Philosophy…

Sounds like an interesting mix. Did you choose them for any particular long term aim or just because they'll each be interesting?

songwithnosoul wrote:…I also am absolutely not a raptor.

Yeah…that's what all the raptors say…just because His Holy Noodliness doesn't mind you being a raptor doesn't mean to say we're as forgiving…
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

Manticorehunter

Postby Manticorehunter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Hi, everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster. My name is Sarah, I'm 15, and I'm terrified of Utahraptors. My hobbies include reading and (to a lesser extent) writing comic books, rats, and video games. I also convinced my brother to pretend to be Spock. I'm not sure how much I belong here, but I've been a fan of xkcd for several years now so we'll see how it goes.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Sounds like you will fit right in :)

How long has he pretended to be spock? Does he often try to use the vulcan pinch on you?
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Manticorehunter

Postby Manticorehunter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

He doesn't do it for very long periods of time (that may be difficult to pull off) but he'll do it for up to several hours at a time. And no, he hasn't tried the Nerve Pinch. :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am UTC

songwithnosoul wrote:Hey. I'm Song, and I live in Ontario, Canada. As you can see, I enjoy reading, writing, and I play the trombone and guitar. I'm also a Pastafarian, a math competition veteran, a cat lover, and a long-time lurker of the fora. I also am absolutely not a raptor.

Hi Song :) . One of the other students in my uni really had the first name Song, she was from China. I miss taking part in math competitions. Your being a Pastafarian is sufficient proof for not being a raptor, because ... <fill in the blank>. 8)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby Hale » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Hello all, I'm known to some as Hale, and to others in the pesky thing called 'The Real World' as Ben. I've been lurking on the forums for about a month now and finally got around to registering to post. I'm 16, going to HS still, play WoW despite all attempts to stop, spend all day sitting in front of my outdated computer reading webcomics, such as the gem that is xkcd, over and over until I have memorized large parts of them. I probably wont be posting much, however if I do, chances are your time would be better spent skipping the post rather then reading through my ramblings. I live in the middle of nowhere in southern US, mountain timezone. About all I can think of at this time, which shows something about me, not sure what though.

Edit: I also edit my posts, since something that make sense in my head really don't.
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

featherless

Postby featherless » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Hello! I'm a huge xkcd fan; I've been reading since I stumbled across the comic in 2007. I'm guilty of taking part in such activities as geocaching thanks to the geohashing strip from 2008.

I'm a student at the University of Waterloo and I spend most of my free time developing software for the iPhone, web, Mac, and PC, in that order. My current project is something to do with web comics, so I'm hoping to immerse myself in the forum culture here and meet some awesome people.

Cheers!

MediocreGopher

Postby MediocreGopher » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Hello, I'm MediocreGopher. I haven't been on any message boards in a long time, but I forced myself to uninstall stumbelupon, so now I need something to fill in the time gaps. I enjoy programming and making stuff. I also like parkouring and climbing. I collect desktop wallpapers and love techno and metal.

Titch

Postby Titch » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

Heyo-I'm Mike, I'm 15, and this is... well yeah, this is about it :|
I've looked round the fora a bit, I've been on before, but never properly got into it-but hopefully it'll change now :)
So hey
Pez Dispens3r wrote:Bacon is not a vegetable.

Shro wrote:Moo, Cassi and Titch are now my ONLY friends!

Cielmerlion

Mouse overs on the comics

Postby Cielmerlion » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Good lord I just started reading these comics 2 days ago and found them so good that i read them all in one day ( yes I was that bored) Only to find in the last 200 or so that there was mouse over text! Now I have to spend another day or so going over all the comics to read the mouseovers. Im not angry or anything..... but wtf! I also registered just to rant, so im off to keep reading the mouseovers (>^_^)>

capawe

Postby capawe » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:29 am UTC

Hi!
I'm Phill, I have been reading the xkcd comics for a while now and finally decided to post on the forum.
I'm a computer science student at the University of Newcastle and I enjoy video games, b grade zombie movies, anime, sci fi and fantasy novels.

Xear

Postby Xear » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:42 am UTC

Sup, I'm Karl.
I've followed the xkcd comics and forums for a while, but recently I decided to finally register. (another lurker, haha!)

I'm (very?) interested in foreign languages and linguistics, so much so that I've taught (as best as possible without staying in the country) myself several using grammar books and penpals.
(Current resume: Latin - going into my 4th year at school, Portuguese - 1 year and counting, Italian - 3 months so far, Ancient Greek - off and on, Turkish - 1 month so far, Polish - 2 days so far, but I can hold conversations!)

Not really sure what else to say...so yeah.
"In war, truth is the first casualty."
-Aeschylus

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

Hi Phill with two L and hi Karl with one L 8)

Phill, why do you prefer B-grade zombie movies over A-grade zombie movies?

Karl, based on what do you choose your languages to learn? And where do you live?

Xear

Postby Xear » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Karl, based on what do you choose your languages to learn? And where do you live?

It mostly depends if they interest/motivate me, potential usefulness (number of speakers, power/economy of country, etc.), if I can find resources to learn them, and if I can find enough penpals in said language.
I like to learn/study languages that most people wouldn't, since I plan to study the common ones (e.g. Spanish, French) in college.

And I live in Seattle! :)
"In war, truth is the first casualty."
-Aeschylus

capawe

Postby capawe » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Hi Phill with two L and hi Karl with one L 8)

Phill, why do you prefer B-grade zombie movies over A-grade zombie movies?

Karl, based on what do you choose your languages to learn? And where do you live?

I just love the tongue-in-cheek style that a lot of b grade zombie films adopt, that isn't to say that I don't also like A-grade zombie films I'm just saying I have seen more b grade zombie films that I loved than A-grade. Speaking of which, my next anticipated zombie film is Zombieland starring Bill Murray and Woody Harrelson.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 am UTC

Hello all you new people! Come, stay, try the veal!
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

NeoMagicwarrior

Postby NeoMagicwarrior » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Brian. Ive been reading XKCD for a while and have been too lazy to join the forums till now. so in my boredom, i say "hey" to you all....

elsupremo

Postby elsupremo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

Hello I'm Jon. Been reading the comic for a while now and have been lurking for the past week or two. I'm 25 and live in Seattle. I read a lot, write a bit, play way too many video games, cook, and get very interested in odd science things.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

capawe's avatar makes me smile.

Welcome, and carry on.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

razrsharp67

Postby razrsharp67 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 am UTC

Hey I'm Alex. Found this comic, loved it so much i sat down and read every single one. I'm 15, currently planning on (though it changes daily) going to college to major in physics. Happy to join the community with all you intelligent comedians. :D

Brawls

Postby Brawls » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Hi there. I have been longtime reader of xkcd comics, but just recently came across the xkcd forums.

I'm a 20 year old college student at Baruch in New York, NY.
Although I am earning a CIS degree, I already hold a PHD in procrastination.

Of all the life's simple pleasures, I love listening to music and reading the most. Nothing relaxes me more than some soothing music, especially in the noisy place that is New York city. Some of my friends and co-workers rely on cigarettes to calm them down during a stressful time, but all I need is my ipod. You could say that music is my drug. I just love anything that takes me away from reality, even for a fleeting second. Whether it's music, an immersing story, or laughter, I would be lost without these things.
"A Chinaman of the T'ang Dynasty - and by which definition, a philosopher - dreamed he was a butterfly, and from that moment he was never quite sure that he was not a butterfly dreaming it was a Chinese philosopher. Envy him; in his two-fold security."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

And you're quite a poet, too :) . Welcome and enjoy yourself!

Axidos

Postby Axidos » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 am UTC

So I just found out you guys actually like new users posting here, making this the first forum I've visited where the intro thread/forum actually has a point.

I've lurked here for quite a while but evidently I don't post very often. My favourite section is Logic Puzzles, but I'm terribly bad at almost all of them and only marginally better at following the ensuing discussion.

I'm a programmer and computer geek in his first year of an IT degree and I'm using all my electives to study Games Design. Oh, and I doodle and draw comics on the side and may be starting a webcomic if my partner-in-crime and I can get organised enough for the launch date we've set ourselves.
I will become the most bitching game designer slash programmer you will meet, and my comics will blow your mind if you share my sense of humour. Also I certainly do not have an ego. Well, it's almost an unavoidable part of being Australian. :P

Ahoy!

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

Xear wrote:
Monika wrote:Karl, based on what do you choose your languages to learn? And where do you live?

It mostly depends if they interest/motivate me, potential usefulness (number of speakers, power/economy of country, etc.), if I can find resources to learn them, and if I can find enough penpals in said language.
I like to learn/study languages that most people wouldn't, since I plan to study the common ones (e.g. Spanish, French) in college.

And I live in Seattle! :)

Me too! Do you live near the Evil Empire as well?
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

cheezermega

Postby cheezermega » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Hey guys my name is Drew. I like to consider myself a nerd of all trades. I am a CCNA, I am getting a degree in video game programming currently, and I have my A+ certification. I currently freelance web designs and general tech support for my school/area. I just started up a new web comic called Dos'NBard and there is already a post about it here in the forum Link so feel free to check it out. BTW I am MrGibons on the IRC.
Thanks,
CheezerMega
Programming Is the art of converting caffeine into error messages
Good news everyone, you now have "The Final Countdown" stuck in your head...

red.

Postby red. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Howdy, I'm Colleen, I have red hair, and I'm not Irish. It's a coincidence.

At the moment my life consists of school, work, books, and waiting for buses and trains. Melbourne's public transport system fails.
I'm into sciencey things, but I'm not quite sure what exactly so I plan to do a general science degree next year and figure it out there.

I'm a grammar nazi, and I don't eat the flowery bits of broccoli.

And I'm already feeling slightly self-conscious about having a full stop in my name when no one else seems to.

Pleased ter meet y'all. :)
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Valhallen

Postby Valhallen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:55 am UTC

Hi.

I've read xkcd for a while, and lurked around the forums for a bit. I signed up because some other forums I frequent currently don't have enough interesting discussion to keep me occupied on break. To Logic Puzzles!

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Hi. I'm probably posting this a bit late, having already lurked a lot and posted a bit. Oh well. I've been reading the comic for about two years, and signed up because someone was wrong on the internet. I'm 14 and starting freshman year of high school. I know some python, but have never had a chance to use it outside of Project Euler. I'm not much of a gamer nerd, mostly due to the fact that I don't have any money to buy games with. I play Tenor Saxophone and am trying to learn guitar. I plan on going to college (hopefully MIT, though I'm not to sure I could get in) and becoming a programmer. My best time on a rubix cube is one minute fifteen seconds, using teh petrus method.

I also enjoy hugging random people, martial arts (Currently do Haganah, Tae Kwon Do, and some Jiu Jitsu), running around in the rain, melodic death metal, science fiction, and climbing almost anything.

I also HATE math competitions. They take all the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable activity.
podbaydoor wrote:^What this person said.

Vicare

Postby Vicare » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Hi everyone, I'm Vicare. I found xkcd through a few hours of late-night internet clicking, though I've seen it before on other websites. I'm 14, I play piano, sing, draw, and, when I find the time, be awesome. I hope we can all be friends!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
---
quod erat demonstrandum, baby!

Allan

Postby Allan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 am UTC

Long-time reader, first time poster. I realize I'm not required to post in this thing first, but I felt it would be good manners. Couldn't we all use a little bit more of that?

Male entering my upper thirties, gah. I am rotating between New Jersey, New York City, and San Jose, California, at present.

I am a network performance test engineer. I create programs that emulate real people accessing their IT infrastructure, run them to make sure that infrastructure does not break, collect the data they produce, and analyze and report those data. So I have to price and plan these efforts, interview people, program the tests, run them in coordination with people who may or may not hate me at the core of their being, fit the data produced into some statistical distribution, and write twenty- to thirty-page reports. Many hats.

I am interested in math and language, among other things, so xkcd has usually been a good fit. Other interests include: literature, psychology, programming, history, theology, and Greek and Latin. I would try to list my music tastes but that may make me sound more insane than I already do sound, so I should probably stop.

Scip

Postby Scip » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Hey everyone, I'm 17 years old and a rising senior in high school. I've read the comic for a while now but only discovered this forum's exisitence today while looking at the Blue Eyes Puzzle (which completely blew my mind).

I enjoy games, reading, instrumental music, anime, crafts and anything involving logic/strategy. I'm also making a feeble attempt at learning to breakdance (don't laugh :(). I like rollerball pens.

Manifold

Postby Manifold » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

A bit late: I completely forgot about the obligatory intro thread posting, not that I disparage the concept!

I'm not going to give away my real name, but my age I will: I'm 20. Currently a second year undergraduate physics student studying somewhere in the UK. I've been in and out of these forums for the past year or so, ever since stumbling across the shining XKCD comics. It seems that I've finally been drawn into these forums by the charm and atmosphere of this place.

It's important to me to say that I'm a Christian, too.

Comic number 610 is blue-tacked onto my wall, above my bed.

Judging from my posts so far, my most popular board is the 'Books' sub-forum.

Here's to a cerebral-engaging, common future.
icanus wrote: Pigs are a bit of an edge case, but I square eating them because 1. they're delicious, and 2. a pig tried to eat me once.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Scip wrote:Hey everyone, I'm 17 years old and a rising senior in high school. I've read the comic for a while now but only discovered this forum's exisitence today while looking at the Blue Eyes Puzzle (which completely blew my mind).

I enjoy games, reading, instrumental music, anime, crafts and anything involving logic/strategy. I'm also making a feeble attempt at learning to breakdance (don't laugh :(). I like rollerball pens.

Oh, I didn't even notice that Blue Eyes Puzzle yet.

I am pretty certain I know the solution, but only because our math club instructor asked us a very similar question in about 9th grade for complete induction practice.

I then went on to destroy my sister's Jugendweihe (something like confirmation without religion) by telling the riddle to our family ... and then trying to explain them the solution. My sis and my uncle understood the solution, but almost no one else did (maybe our mom, I don't remember exactly), and then our step-dad kept arguing that the solution was wrong and they would all leave on the second day :sigh: . You have been warned.

Good job by Randall to make it so water-proof. Not that it could have prevented my family catastrophe.

Welcome to the forum! To all the others, too.
Last edited by Monika on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Scip

Postby Scip » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Monika wrote:...I then went on to destroy my sister's Jugendweihe (something like confirmation without religion) by telling the riddle to our family...
Hahaha, logic puzzles: the party crasher. Thanks for the welcome!

HippieJohn

Postby HippieJohn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Hi, I'm John, and I'm 18, and I discovered this comic about a month or two ago after being shown it by my friend Raine. I was instantly hooked, despite pretty much falling under one part of the disclaimer (I'm a Literature Major). I love to talk about pretty much anything :)

Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Watcher Of The Skies » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Wade, I'm 17 and I live in Lower Mainland BC Canada. My favourite pastimes are music, eating, swimming, and conversation. I also like looking at trees. I started reading xkcd a few months ago, and I've been lurking on the fora for a while.
EDIT: figured I should put in a little more information about me
I'll graduate from high school in June, I'm taking mostly sciences (+history) next year, and I hope to go into something science related after high school. My main consistent interest in the past few years has been music. I play the viola, used to play the saxophone (poorly) and have dabbled in guitar. My taste in music progressed from classic rock in grade 8 -> Rush -> classic prog -> more canterbury prog -> a bit of everything now, in case anyone cares.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Watcher Of The Skies wrote:I also like looking at trees.

Individual trees or large meetings of trees known as forests? :D

Welcome! Enjoy yourself.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Watcher Of The Skies wrote:I play the viola

Woot! Readers of alto clef, unite! What size group do you play in (solo/chamber/orchestra)?

I do love playing the viola. I wish I played it more... I don't really have any music though, and most of my time is currently taken up by other activities.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Watcher Of The Skies » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:31 am UTC

Monika wrote:
Watcher Of The Skies wrote:I also like looking at trees.

Individual trees or large meetings of trees known as forests? :D

Welcome! Enjoy yourself.

Thanks! haha I dunno, I like both. I guess the more trees, the better.

rrwoods wrote:
Watcher Of The Skies wrote:I play the viola

Woot! Readers of alto clef, unite! What size group do you play in (solo/chamber/orchestra)?

I do love playing the viola. I wish I played it more... I don't really have any music though, and most of my time is currently taken up by other activities.

Yeah! we violists gotta stick together to deal with the jokes the rest of the orchestra makes about us.
my favourite:
What's the difference between a prostitute and a violist?

The prostitute knows more than two positions!

really though, I've found that having easy orchestra parts is good because I can just sight read them and leave more time for individual practice, and I love the viola's sound- it seems a lot richer and less squeaky than a violin. I'm in one string orchestra at school, but I used to play in two symphony orchestras as well. I've cut back because it can get pretty boring playing viola parts, and I didn't really like the music we played in one of the orchestras (I've never really like Mozart, but our conductor loved him). I also used to be pretty decent as a soloist, but my practice habits have slipped recently so I haven't improved much in the last couple of years. ohhhh well.

The Smithmeister

Postby The Smithmeister » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:41 am UTC

Hi. I'm Alex and am quite possibly addicted to reading all the topics on this forum. I've been lurking for ages and decided finally to join.

EDIT: I should learn to spell too.

Return to “General”