Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

icelizarrd

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby icelizarrd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:33 am UTC

Hey-- so I'm actually a pretty regular member here, but I don't want to associate that username with posting music (or participating in projects--I'm about to offer my services in the xkcd band thread) that might identify me in real life. A little paranoid, I know, and likely unnecessary, because it's not as though I'm at all famous. But I might be someday :P (we can all dream...)

Anyway, if you'll pardon my eccentricity, and if the mods don't mind: a sock-puppet account!

I'll be sure to make some hopefully helpful posts with this account before posting any links around. Although I will add here, if anyone on xkcd happens to frequent the audio forum KVR, I can be found there on occasion under this same username (icelizarrd).

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:26 am UTC

Pryomancer wrote:I don't speak Klingon, but isn't the vocabulary so limited that you can ask for something like a warp drive, but have trouble ordering something from a menu in a resturant?

Klingon is still a work in progress, ie there are new words / phrases being "discovered" on a regular basis, and Klingons are getting more and more in contact with humans and our culture, so little by little their language is evolving to a multicultural one (hence words like qa'vin (coffee) and yuch (chocolate)).

So yeah, if the restaurant doesn't serve serpent worms or pipius claws, you're on your own {{:-) (<- smiling Klingon)

On the other hand, there are people who are translating Shakespeare back to the original Klingon, so the vocabulary can't be that limited.

Monika wrote:
Chavroux wrote:Thank you, I've learned something today. My daily quest for knowledge is fullfilled for today.

I guess I can't tell you then that it's spelled "fulfill" (in British English even worse: fulfil). I think fullfill would be much more logical.

Doesn't matter, I can save this piece of knowledge for a later, less enlightening day.

I used to run everything (browsers, chat clients, mail clients, ...) through emacs with a spelling checker on it. Maybe I should start doing that again (or enable the spelling checker on Firefox :roll: )

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

Chavroux wrote:On the other hand, there are people who are translating Shakespeare back to the original Klingon, so the vocabulary can't be that limited.

I have been wondering how Shakespeare got his hands on Hamlet ever since this Klingon said this to Kirk.

enable the spelling checker on Firefox

Spell checkers not to be used by muggles, underage witches and wizards and non-human magical beings. ;)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

DarkTrooper
Location: Cheese, windmills, clogs, legal pot, taxed prostitution, need I type more?

Postby DarkTrooper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Hello,
My name is Ton, I'm 16 years old and I'm from the Netherlands.
My main interests are SCIENCE, Life, The Universe, Everything and being a little bit annoying :P .
I'd like to apologize for any grammar and style errors I've made and will make.
My main reason for registering for this forum was the level of the conversation which, by internet standards, is quite high, I think.
I don't know what more to add to this post.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 am UTC

Hi Ton :) . Do you know any programming languages? Are you afraid that your country will be covered by water if the global warming continues?

DarkTrooper
Location: Cheese, windmills, clogs, legal pot, taxed prostitution, need I type more?

Postby DarkTrooper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 am UTC

Monika wrote:Hi Ton :) . Do you know any programming languages? Are you afraid that your country will be covered by water if the global warming continues?

Nope, I don't know any programming languages. I tried to learn, but I could never find the time for it. I would like to learn to program though.
And, no, I'm not really afraid for any floods at the moment, because I live in one of the few parts where the land is above sea-level. It might pose a problem when I'm going to university (hopefully) next year :P.

Furioso

Postby Furioso » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:46 am UTC

Hi there, ladies and gents - I've been lurking intermittently for a while, although I've never actually posted anything. My friend persuaded me to get an account some time ago but this is the first I've used it.

I'm a first-year Engineering student, age 19, and I live in the Fens (during term time) and by the Hangers (other times of the year).

My interests include, but are not limited to, constructed and natural languages, cooking (especially frying stuff), melodic metal, vivacious young ladies, the Bronze Age, cats, crossbows, heat engines, skiing, experimental aircraft (don't get me started on the Fairey Rotodyne), behaving as though I'm living in the eighteenth century, rowing, webcomics (...surprise), railways, freeware computer games, snakes, linguistic prescriptivism and descriptivism (I support either depending on the circumstances; I should also warn you that my keyboard glows blue in the presence of Americans), hypocrisy, rabid overuse of commas and brackets, rabid overuse of out-of-place words like 'rabid', long lists, and many other things.

I've lived in Normandy (for half a year) and California (for two years) as well as shorter stays in the Valle d'Aosta and Thailand. I love the American landscape and the national park system, and I love French patisserie. I used to speak fairly good French, but these days I'm very rusty.
The proper short form of 'mathematics' is, of course, 'maths'. I have a strong aversion to bad non-standard spelling and grammar, and another strong aversion to Americanisms - at least, I pretend to have one.
The Byzantine Empire is a highly underrated civilisation. The same applies to the IVC.
I tend to hang around on this forum quite a lot, where I go by the name 'thedukeofnuke'. (It's quiet over there.)
I'm not as good at calculus as I ought to be.
I love the sound of spoken Hebrew.
Sir David Attenborough is the Hugh Hefner of nature documentaries. I will not hear otherwise.
"That's what she said!" is, was, and will ever be a legitimate and hilarious addition to any conversation.
Last edited by Furioso on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

if(rope) piranha.release;

ManUpstairs

Postby ManUpstairs » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:33 am UTC

I'm a long-time lurker. Probably been reading the forums for about a year. I decided to make an account today. :P

I'm a high school senior in the US. I'm interested in economics and biology and probably am going to do pre-med in college.

I like tennis, electronic dance music (dnb ftw), and DJing.

I have some peculiar talents such as solving rubiks cubes relatively fast and spinning pens.

I'm also a man. I live upstairs.

keyguard123

Postby keyguard123 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 am UTC

Hi to all.
I am new one for this site. I am always in search of friends as making new friends is one of my hobbies. Thank you very much to moderator for allowing me to be here with you guys. I am doing masters in computer science. It will be great fun of having chat and discussions with you guys. Hope the chats and the discussions will be interesting and full of fun.

TGM

Postby TGM » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:07 am UTC

G'day,

I mostly joined this forum for the science and fitness sections, thought I might say hi first.

I'm 20, live in Australia, and am studying Radiography. (Alot of anatomy, pathology, and radiation physics. Very interesting stuff IMO.)

Other interests are motorbikes, cycling, music, and very casual gaming.
- TGM

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Hi, my name is Scott
I am from the United States and I like robotics. I also like computers and other technology
these are words
type, type, type

Rakarei

Postby Rakarei » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST ATE LIKE TEN PEEPS IN FIVE MINUTES, MY SUGAR RUSH WILL PROBABLY BE GONE SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, what am i supposed to say?

EDIT: THE REASON I EDITED THIS POST WAS BECAUSE I SPELLED SOON SOONE.

i'm not usually like this, i'll be back to normal soon.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

Evening.
I read all the XKCD comics in a single day (I had seen some before but I just went through all of them anyway) and now I'm sad because I have to wait for each new one :cry:

I'm 26, male and I'm currently working towards getting a PhD in Computer Science. My research area is in computational neuroscience and this webcomic set me back a full day in my work schedule.

I'm also addicted to computer games, which isn't really compatible with my current work, but I guess I manage to squeeze everything in.
Also, I went through the whole Python tutorial last night because of all the comments made about it in the comic.

Question: Do people read this thread regularly or do new users just post this stuff for future reference?
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Well, a few people read here often :) .

My little sis is also doing her PhD in CS. But more into business administration and computer science, not neuroscience.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Well I sorta rolled into the comp. neuroscience stuff from my supervisor and I found it really interesting and the cool thing is I get to mix in all sorts different things like information theory and signal processing (always nice when you're forced to learn new things). Also, since my MSc was in intelligent systems, I could always branch out after my PhD and go back into AI stuff like neural nets and combinatorial optimization which I got really into during my postgrad studies.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

achilleas.k wrote:Question: Do people read this thread regularly or do new users just post this stuff for future reference?

I read through to screen for blatant jerks. You've passed.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Posthumane
Location: The great white north... compared to the US anyway.

Postby Posthumane » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

Good day all,
I'm in my mid-20's and I'm an xkcdaholic. Been lurking for quite a while, and have thought about registering many times when reading an interesting discussion (i.e. wind powered vehicles going downwind faster than the wind), but always got lazy at the thought of going through the registration process just to post a reply. Yes, I am that lazy, which is either the cause or the result of me being an engineer. I have a lot of different interests, and they change frequently after brief obsessive periods, but some of them include vehicles (cars, motorbikes, planes - I currently have at least one of each), electronics (PICmicro projects are fun), music (play a tiny bit of guitar/bass), parentheses (enough said), and having very geeky/insightful conversations about even the most mundane topics (like how to properly engineer a cookie for the greatest eating pleasure:mess ratio). Hopefully I will be able to have some of these conversations here.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Posthumane wrote:having very geeky/insightful conversations about even the most mundane topics (like how to properly engineer a cookie for the greatest eating pleasure:mess ratio)

:lol:

What kind of cookies do you prefer? I like white-chip cookies, but have never made any.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:15 am UTC

I always enjoyed the combo of milk + white chocolate.

pubescent tuba

Postby pubescent tuba » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Hi!
I'm Rowena. I am a high school student, currently 15. I discovered the fora today, loved them, and wanted to post a reply so I created this account.
I have so far been reading various maths topics, and they are both fascinating and almost all utterly impossible for someone my age to understand much of. But they're also teaching me stuff... while distracting me from the study I should be doing because we have exams at the moment. But what the heck, I'm too young for them to matter much.
I love maths (that's what we call it where I live - strange, eh?), science and music above all. I also love the example of why not to post a homework question on the maths fora.
I think that's me...

Posthumane
Location: The great white north... compared to the US anyway.

Postby Posthumane » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Well, I like white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, though I rarely eat them. Chocolate coated anything is good, makes a mess when it's warm out...

Andy0101

Postby Andy0101 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:40 am UTC

Hello!
My name is Andrew, I'm 15 years old and I come from Croatia. I'm interested in computers (mostly software and networking section). What else to say? Oh, yeah, Randall is in my head too. This comic encouraged me to register on this forum. :P

See ya!

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Hi, the reason I joined XKCD is simple: I'm bored.

Seriously though, I've been a lurker for far to long and I've decided to finally join because you guys rock! I'm currently a junior in high school hoping to become of physicist, or an astronomer.

Pending

Postby Pending » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Hi! My name is Megan, though I go by Megs.
I'm 15, and I doodle sometimes. I'm currently trying my hand at acrylics and pastels - I think it's going well. I like to write silly stories that don't really have a solid conclusion. At the moment, I'm working on a story about a man who knows a lot about nothing, and a man who knows nothing about everything. It's neat. Maybe I'll post it someday.
I like indie films, but I like mainstream movies, too. My favorite movies are: "Wristcutters: A Love Story", "Avenue Montaigne", and "The Breakfast Club". I could watch hours of "The Office" - I prefer the american version with Steve Carrel, but I do like the original, too.(:

If I'm on some sort of instant messaging, and I see that the other person is typing something, I have to delete whatever it was that I was typing before, or else I feel like I'm interrupting that person. I'm a pushover - I try to please everyone. (That's what she said!) I tend to stay quiet when I'm around new people, but get me around my friends and I'm crazy. Somewhat.
I'm not as smart as some of the people on this forum - I don't know a lot about science or maths or languages. I don't know any programming languages. I've had to look up my fair share of information on Wikipedia in order to understand jokes featured in XKCD, but I'm learning! I'm not an idiot, though! I'm applying to be in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program next year! Which I think will be fun - most AP classes aren't super challenging. Except for World History this year - it's going to destroy my GPA. D:
I don't really know what I want to do with my life. I know I want to do something I love - something I can look forward to doing every day. I don't care much whether or not it provides a steady income...I'd like to be involved in music, photography or writing... Although, I think it'd be neat to work in astronomy. Stars are badass.

The first comic I read from the greatness that is XKCD was http://xkcd.com/44/.

I just realized I wrote too much. Ohs wellz.(:
"If you can't be a tree, be a twig, and be the best twig you can be."

Tunnelman

Postby Tunnelman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:08 am UTC

Hi there! I'm a commercial photography student in Ohio.

Sir Reginald Bathwater

Postby Sir Reginald Bathwater » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Hello internet.
I am Al. I live in Australia, and have just finished secondary school, and suddenly have enough free time to sign up to forums. Maybe I'll make it past a dozen posts. I like Metal, computer games, and various other things. Add me on steam if you want, my username is Sir Reginald Bathwater, I usually play TF2, but have been playing Dwarf-Fortress madly for the past few weeks.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:31 am UTC

Pending wrote:Hi! My name is Megan, though I go by Megs.
I'm 15, and I doodle sometimes. I'm currently trying my hand at acrylics and pastels - I think it's going well. I like to write silly stories that don't really have a solid conclusion. At the moment, I'm working on a story about a man who knows a lot about nothing, and a man who knows nothing about everything. It's neat. Maybe I'll post it someday.

Send me a link when you post it :) .

If I'm on some sort of instant messaging, and I see that the other person is typing something, I have to delete whatever it was that I was typing before, or else I feel like I'm interrupting that person.

Hehe, I do that at times, too.

I've had to look up my fair share of information on Wikipedia in order to understand jokes featured in XKCD

Who doesn't.

I don't really know what I want to do with my life.

At 15 you still have quite some time to figure it out.

I don't care much whether or not it provides a steady income

But how do you plan to pay for food and rent?

Although, I think it'd be neat to work in astronomy. Stars are badass.

Sounds like a good plan to me :) .

rage316

Postby rage316 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Julian, I'm studying chemical engineering right now in the beautiful city of Munich. I love science and random travia and I guess that's about all that's interesting about me :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Travia? Do you mean Trivia?

OTOH Travian was also invented in Munich, by a student of chemistry ;) .

rage316

Postby rage316 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

Don't type in a hurry... Trivia is what I meant, indeed :)

Pending

Postby Pending » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Monika wrote:Send me a link when you post it :) .

I shall do just that!

Monika wrote:At 15 you still have quite some time to figure it out.

It seems like everybody else has it figured it out already. I'll think of it someday.(:

Monika wrote:But how do you plan to pay for food and rent?

I'm not to terribly worried about it, honestly. I don't think I can really explain in in depth at the moment, haha.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:31 am UTC

Pending wrote:

It seems like everybody else has it figured it out already.

Yeah, but what is it that they have figured out? Either they are going to be big stars with their band or their current plan is to work in a bank, because their parents say this would be a good choice.

Anton York

Postby Anton York » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Hi, folks!

My third post, sorry, I have missed this thread till now, but I assure you that I´m almost completely sure that i´m not a bot

maybe

Almost forty, having discovered xkcd a week ago (shame!), and the fora a couple of days ago...since then, I can´t stop reading it compulsively

I´m from Madrid, bussines in Pro-audio and cuttlery (knives, folders, swords and the like, not kitchen), a somewhat strange combination, I know

Knowledge of science: some, but in a diletantte way, you know: Chutulu Mythos: 15%, Discussion 66%, Sock picking: 100% (except some mornings after partying)

Also, see my signature :oops:

This morning, I went to the public library of my district, and the three books i have took are:

* Los caminos cuánticos-Feynmann----bio/divulgation, by J.N Faus

*Python 3 by Mark Summerfield (i dont know anything about programming, I had the Spectrum like 25 years ago, and do some Basic then (how cute!), and some years later, played a little making toy-like virus for the Corewars, that´s all my background...but hey!, anyways the book looks interesting, why not?)

*A comic book, Streets of glory, by Garth Ennis/Mike Wolfer

That should give you a sketch of the way my brains go...

Glad to participate, wavesome site!
not now

Pending

Postby Pending » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Pending wrote:

It seems like everybody else has it figured it out already.

Yeah, but what is it that they have figured out? Either they are going to be big stars with their band or their current plan is to work in a bank, because their parents say this would be a good choice.

Haha, yeah...I'd like to do something with art or writing - I just don't know what, exactly.

Anywho, though! I'm liking this forum so far.:D

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Anton York wrote:Hi, folks!

[...]

*Python 3 by Mark Summerfield (i dont know anything about programming, I had the Spectrum like 25 years ago, and do some Basic then (how cute!), and some years later, played a little making toy-like virus for the Corewars, that´s all my background...but hey!, anyways the book looks interesting, why not?)

Hey hey! Welcome to the forums from another newbie.
Books are nice to learn programming, but I find that online tutorials help very much too. Admittedly, it might be easier for me since I got into programming academically and it's always much easier when you're taught by a professor. Either way, if you haven't checked it yet, the tutorial over at Python's main site is a nice way to quickly get into the basics. You can probably go through it in one or two nights.

Here's a link: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html

Anton York

Postby Anton York » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Thanks!, mate, i´ll take a look
not now

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:42 am UTC

The name's David, and Python is the most wonderful language of all time. Other languages I have knowledge of include PHP, Perl, Java (shudder), Javascript, HTML (which is a markup language, and not a programming one), LOGO (old-school :P), and English, among some lesser languages I do not currently recall.

I also have a webcomic, which is here.

This is also my sixth post. I really should have discovered this thread earlier.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

00Davo wrote:Java (shudder)

You may or may not enjoy the "religious wars" forum. :-P
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Putnam

Postby Putnam » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Putnam. Well, actually, thats my last name, but you don't need to know my first. I am 14, work at Dairy Queen, and am into math, scripting, linux, and other stuffs. Basically I'm a nerd with a job. Dangerous...
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don’t.

CueBall

Postby CueBall » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

:putnam:?
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Cueball is being generally hilarious today.
Sungura wrote:Cueball, I...I...
<3
Box Boy wrote:Now let us wait for the outcome of CueBall's fight to the death!

Return to “General”