Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sammich117

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Sammich117 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

*waves*

I have two weeks to kill until school starts up so I may be poking around here quite a bit.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:... Though I do have to admit that Peterborough IS the land of the cool kids.
Hey, that's where I am. Though I'm in the much cooler Canadian Peterborough.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Damn you and you're momentary "woah cool!" moment! :P
Ⓞⓞ◯

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu May 20, 2010 8:43 am UTC

Monika wrote:/me gives the perpetual rainbow Fractal_Tangent a cookie.

Ta Monika, I do love the cookies.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

sir_tiger

Postby sir_tiger » Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

but i am your cookie provider :( now what will i do with all these cookies in my cupboard i had for you?

any takers?
Fractal_Tangent wrote:He's here! I demand a cookie.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu May 20, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

sir_tiger wrote:but i am your cookie provider :( now what will i do with all these cookies in my cupboard i had for you?

any takers?

Me! I like cookies...
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

I could really use a cookie.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

sir_tiger

Postby sir_tiger » Thu May 20, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

now youre just getting cookie greedy. i hope you'll be sharing them.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Totally will be, give one to Amie, she's pretty cool.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

sir_tiger

Postby sir_tiger » Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Amie wrote:I could really use a cookie.

Then a cookie you shall have! milk chocolate chip ok with you?

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

Thankie you guys :)

*noms her delishus cookie*
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

somethingshiny

Postby somethingshiny » Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 am UTC

Warning: I am about to break this rule: "Never ever introduce yourself in introduction fora more than once."

I am now officially somethingshiny, senior in high school and officially accepted to uchicago!

The only sound appropriate to my emotional state is SQUEEEEEEEE!

So, I have baked muffins for the forum to enjoy.

God bless us, every one. <3

Sammich117

Postby Sammich117 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:44 am UTC

I want cookies and muffins....

Congrats on getting into college! Whooo!!

Biskit333

Postby Biskit333 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:55 am UTC

Hi everyone, my name is Matt. I have been reading this comic for quite some time, and I actually created a forum account in 2009, but I never got around to posting anything until today for some reason. I enjoy the comic as well as math, science, and the limited knowledge of computer science that I have. I promise I'm neither a raptor nor a spammbot, although I suppose you only have my word to go on there. Anyway, I look forward to posting (hopefully more than once a year) and getting to know the community.

curson

Postby curson » Sat May 22, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

Hello everyone! My name is Federico, but I largely prefer curson (and I respond to it quicker even IRL)... new to these lands but not to XKCD itself.
To be true, I'm just looking for a nice and cosy place to hang around, and this seemed like a very promising ground to explore.

Looking forward to read and nose around ;)

Callista

Postby Callista » Sat May 22, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

Greetings.

I've been reading xkcd for a while now, but only recently discovered the forum. I like the vibe and may stay for a while.

I'm a biomedical engineering undergrad from the USA. I'm fascinated with physics, psychology, sociology, and medicine, and I tend to get very, very nerdy the second someone mentions child development, Lord of the Rings, autism, or black holes. I also tend to get these short-term ultra-obsessions where I'll be fascinated with something anything from a few days to a few months and learn everything I can find out about the subject, use up all my free time doing it, edit the Wikipedia article with my newfound knowledge, and talk people's ears off if they so much as mention it.

I am also quite a bit eccentric. That seems to be relatively normal 'round here, though. :lol:

Anyway, hi!

Homicide

Postby Homicide » Sat May 22, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Yes, hello.

I am Alan. I am 22, for a period of time. I hie like many other from Florida; I was born in Orlando.
Other than that, I've spent the past 10 years on the internet. I am not a mathematician, nor a physicist, engineer, or anything classy. I work at Wal-mart. Also I am a jerk.

hadsed

Postby hadsed » Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Callista wrote:I also tend to get these short-term ultra-obsessions where I'll be fascinated with something anything from a few days to a few months and learn everything I can find out about the subject, use up all my free time doing it, edit the Wikipedia article with my newfound knowledge, and talk people's ears off if they so much as mention it.

Oh my god.. other people do this too???

Hello everyone. I almost didn't register because these forum boards are a bit intimidating but after reading around I think I love this place already.. I'm an aspiring physicist very interested in a lot of things.

So sup? :)

GunJack

Postby GunJack » Sun May 23, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

ksb wrote:Hello.

From reading several 'hello' posts from various scientists, mathematicians, scholars, etc, I've been spending a little too much energy trying to make myself sound as intellectually useful to society, but instead...

I'm a big, hairy, tattoo'd, biker from the UK, I have worked as a UNIX (and its many variants) sys admin for the last 14 years mainly because I was crap at everything else ;)

I rarely use forums, but you peeps seem a good natured bunch, and the comics make me laugh, especially that one with the stick people who do stuff!

Cheers
kb

cool avatar!!!!
stick people rules, but I'm still trapped in the paradox that stick people have full figure cats...
Don't protest against my methods, if you want to continue living of my results

chopoflamb

Postby chopoflamb » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 am UTC

Hey hey, my name is Russell. I'm a senior in high school right now, although this is my last week. I'll be studying engineering at the University of Michigan next fall, should be fun! I always enjoyed comics as a kid; I think I have just about every Calvin and Hobbes book and a lot of Farside as well. First got into webcomics way back in middle school when I saw my sister on Explosm.net, then things progressed to SMBC and now xkcd. Made an account here a month or so ago, and have been lurking for a while, decided to post tonight.
So, hello! hope to post lots :)

MCMXCI

Postby MCMXCI » Mon May 24, 2010 7:27 am UTC

Hello,

I just finished my first year of college as a Physics/Math major and decided to find something new to spend my time on instead of doing work, so here I am.

Indubitable.

Postby Indubitable. » Mon May 24, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Richard.
I'm 16, currently in the middle of my Highers (Scottish 11th Grade qualifications), play bass and guitar, primarily, and I also enjoy tinkering with circuits/computers. And I consider exam papers requiring calculators to be a sort of evil magick.
My bass is called Rosa and I love her lots. <3

8-Bit Theater wrote:WM: Ok, an orphanage is on fire, what do you--
BM: Use FIRE-3 to torch the building and then pick off any survivors with BOLT-2 set to a wide dispersal.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Wed May 26, 2010 12:29 am UTC

Wow, lots of people have introduced themselves in the last few days. Hey everyone!

chopoflamb wrote:I think I have just about every Calvin and Hobbes book and a lot of Farside as well.

*highfive*

You, sir, have good taste. I'm a huge fan of both as well.

Indubitable. wrote:My bass is called Rosa and I love her lots. <3

Sounds sexy. What kind is she? 4/5/6-string?
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Indubitable.

Postby Indubitable. » Wed May 26, 2010 12:41 am UTC

LeagueOfMorons wrote:

4-string white Ibanez SRX430.
Went out a few weeks ago because I've been playing a lot more seriously recently (been in a couple of school concerts and I've got the school production of Grease coming up, as well as having been invited to play in our Jazz Band next year) and my father decided that he was willing to get me a decent bass due to my first one being a heap of rubbish.

That Ibanez was the second one I tried out of about seven, which were in about five different guitar shops around town, and it's one of the nicest basses I've ever played. I brought it into school one day for my guitar teacher's opinion and he said he had thought it was worth about twice as much and felt and sounded lovely. Now I just need my bass amps back from the repair shop. -.-''

[edit: a little outpouring of childhood memories]

chopoflamb wrote: I think I have just about every Calvin and Hobbes book

I still remember the joy I felt when I was six and I realised that Calvin was the same age as me.
Plus, I had blonde, messy hair, too. No time machines, though.. :(

BM: Use FIRE-3 to torch the building and then pick off any survivors with BOLT-2 set to a wide dispersal.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Wed May 26, 2010 1:01 am UTC

Indubitable. wrote:
LeagueOfMorons wrote:

4-string white Ibanez SRX430.
Went out a few weeks ago because I've been playing a lot more seriously recently (been in a couple of school concerts and I've got the school production of Grease coming up, as well as having been invited to play in our Jazz Band next year) and my father decided that he was willing to get me a decent bass due to my first one being a heap of rubbish.

That Ibanez was the second one I tried out of about seven, which were in about five different guitar shops around town, and it's one of the nicest basses I've ever played. I brought it into school one day for my guitar teacher's opinion and he said he had thought it was worth about twice as much and felt and sounded lovely. Now I just need my bass amps back from the repair shop. -.-''

Nice. Ibanez makes some pretty good basses, especially for their price range.

I'm currently rocking a Spector Legend series 5-string in blue flame-top finish, and she's treating me very well. I've had her for almost three years now, though, and I have yet to name her. I feel neglectful . . . or maybe just uncreative.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Indubitable.

Postby Indubitable. » Wed May 26, 2010 1:17 am UTC

LeagueOfMorons wrote:I'm currently rocking a Spector Legend series 5-string in blue flame-top finish, and she's treating me very well. I've had her for almost three years now, though, and I have yet to name her. I feel neglectful . . . or maybe just uncreative.

Very nice (he says, having just looked that up on Google images. Hey, at least I make an effort to understand what's going on. :wink:). I was considering getting a 5-string Yamaha (RBX5A2) but I decided not to for three reasons:
1. My guitar teacher told me not to get a 5-string because it'd be useless for what I play (and I respect that man greatly, so I followed his advice).
2. The guys upon whom my school's music department used to call for bass, guitar and drums in concerts had the four-string version of that exact bass (which was pretty badass) and I didn't really want to copy them. Even though I used to want to be them. :lol:
3. I tried one and it didn't feel quite as nice as the Ibanez. Although it did feel nice. It's what kept me sane when I was stuck in Minneapolis/St Paul in the aftermath of the Icelandic Volcano - I would go across to the Mall Of America and just sit in Best Buy playing that bass.

And as for the naming thing, I decided Rosa was going to be my first female instrument and asked one of my female friends for naming suggestions. That was what she suggested and I thought it was a beautiful name.

Aben Zin

Postby Aben Zin » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Aben Zin and I'm best known for being that guy. You know... him.

(and also always signing Az, even though it'd be much easier to just put in a signiture)

Az

Tyaust

Postby Tyaust » Thu May 27, 2010 2:12 am UTC

Hello my name is Tyaust. I am a high school student in the very flat and dry, southern part of Alberta, Canada. I have lurked hear for almost a year and haven't gotten around to posting because I am a horrible procrastinator.

I have played guitar for almost four years and enjoy all forms of heavy metal along with the blues, jazz, country and classic rock.

My favorite genre of video games are western RPGs. I have an XBOX 360, a Wii, a PSP, a Gameboy Advance SP and a lovely new gaming computer. A few of my friends and I have recently started up our own clan, The Flying Cougars, which also has a blog and videos.

I enjoy reading, especially fantasy, and watching science fiction shows and movies.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Thu May 27, 2010 3:21 am UTC

Hey all, I'm Beckie. I've been a lurker for a long time, finally signed up when the Collatz Conjecture nerd-sniped me, but haven't gotten around to writing my intro post. Since I've started poking my head out from Individual Comic Threads recently, I thought I should finally write it.

I'm a recent graduate of Cal Poly, with a BS in Software Engineering. In my free time I enjoy coding, writing, coding, drawing, coding, coding, math, and coding. I mostly work in Java and PHP but my favorite language is HyperTalk (so much that I wrote my own interpreter for a similar language - which is not easy; if you know both HyperTalk and compiler design you understand). I have several programming projects I am currently working on, and if I ever finish them I'll release them on Google Code.

Besides that, I am writing a fantasy novel about a lonely girl who eventually make friends with witches, sentient plants, supernatural beings, aliens from Neptune, and a family that secretly rules the world. I also draw cartoons of the characters in my novel. Despite being a geek, I'm also quite artistic. Hustle and bustle are like my left and right brains. :)

I love girly things, the color purple, pop music, 90's sitcoms, cats (though I'm allergic to them), vintage Apple Computers (pre-iMac), platformers, puzzle games, identity politics, and coding. :)
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Kuji

Postby Kuji » Thu May 27, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

My name is Miguel, I was born and currently live in Puerto Rico. I am 22 years old, currently studying in General Science for a possible future in Pharmacy.

I like Pizza, Sports and currently active in Fantasy Sports (Baseball, NFL and Basketball). I like other stuff, but I'll probably spill those things later.

Slight-of-mind

Postby Slight-of-mind » Fri May 28, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

To kick things off I have to say this is probably one of, if not the smartest community on the interwebs. If you're wondering if I always start off with shameless flattery: Yes, and aren't you clever for asking!
I've been perusing these boards for a while now and can't wait for people more intelligent than I to insult me in ways I won't fully understand. Good times.
About myself: I'm a college student, like many here. However, I notice there are a lot of majors in the sciences-- My dream of contributing to the world of science died some time ago...so now I'm on the sidelines cheering on all the admirable eggheads. If I make any contributions in my day it'll be through the entertainment industry. You guys make the world a better place and while you do that I'll make the world seem like a better place.
So much for that. I love me some reading and writing, watching films and the good old boob tube. Average in all accounts.
Nice to meet all you wonderful bastards :P :lol:

Edit: I too like cookies!!
Tally ho!!! and Goodbye Gumdrops!!!

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

To kick things off I have to say this is probably one of, if not the smartest community on the interwebs. If you're wondering if I always start off with shameless flattery: Yes, and aren't you clever for asking!

I like turtels!

( Really, I couldn't resist, but I don't consider myself a part of the smart people anyway. Also hai! )
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Slight-of-mind

Postby Slight-of-mind » Fri May 28, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

if you're not smart than shoot for ironic. About the next best thing. And if you're not smart or ironic...teach gym.

Edit: following post = "Hey!! I teach gym"

somethingshiny

Postby somethingshiny » Fri May 28, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

Hey!! I teach gym

[/opportunitythathadtobegrabbed]

I teach ballet, which requires the slightest dose of irony, or else you go crazy with all the demis and arabesques.

EDIT: Lovely to meet you all.

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Sat May 29, 2010 4:48 am UTC

derick2499 wrote:Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all for lunch someday and look forward to even having conversation with a few of you first.
Where, when, and are you paying for my transportation?
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Sat May 29, 2010 5:38 am UTC

Hi, I'm Matthew, and I play the tuba(if you haven't figured that out from my username :D )
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand, and just recently turned 20.
I am almost 1.5 years into my physics degree, majoring in Physics and Astronomy.
At the end of January this year, I got an official diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, but I am proud to be an Aspie, which Einstein, Newton and Tesla are believed to have been.
I absolutely love Astronomy (NOT Astrology :evil: ), and I hope to eventually specialise specifically in Gravity.
I like maths, because it is pure logic, and actually makes sense! I also like the XKCD cartoons (what physicist wouldn't?)
I can make sense of the 1 = 0.9999... and the 0/0 problems, and I just clicked with the Monty Hall Problem, thanks to Sir_Elderberry!!
I always like a good logical challenge, like the 3D sudoku or large Kakuros(I have a whole book of Kakuros, and they are Difficult!)

I like classical music, but not much other music. I think that classical music is for intelligent people, because it is infinitely more complex than the modern popular stuff which is boring and irritating. I play in three orchestras and a concert band, but currently music is my hobby, and I am not studying music at uni at the moment, but might eventually. :)

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 am UTC

Slight-of-mind wrote:if you're not smart than shoot for ironic. About the next best thing. And if you're not smart or ironic...teach gym.

Edit: following post = "Hey!! I teach gym"

Becoming a teacher is pretty much my back-up plan if I fail at everything else! :D

Hi, I'm Matthew, and I play the tuba(if you haven't figured that out from my username

Tuba equals awesome. ( Also hai! )
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

k.p.b

Postby k.p.b » Mon May 31, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Pat, and i'm almost done with junior year in high school. i run a lot, perhaps a little too much, and i play xbox way too often. i enjoy the sciences, especially physics, but im also interested in linguistics after randomly picking up a book about it. i figured id post here because i follow rules and the such :D

Slight-of-mind

Postby Slight-of-mind » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 am UTC

k.p.b wrote:i follow rules and the such :D
I worship The Such. or is that the sach...of all mighty dollars. Either way, nice to see someone with less posts than me :D

gurfunklebunker

Postby gurfunklebunker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:48 am UTC

Hello. (:
I am Marko, and I am currently in my last year of high school (just one more month really). I am really interested in music, history, languages (especially Croatian, since I sort of have an ethnic pride in being Croatian XD), and philosophy. i have visited xkcd a lot and I have been through the archives for the past couple of days, and I just love it. :D I decided to join the forums seeing as I don't really have a place on the internet after leaving a few forums already.
I was born in Canada and have lived here my whole life.
And, 42.

Return to “General”