Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cceerpp

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby cceerpp » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Hi peeps :D I'm Godwin from Ghana. I'm quite new in this forum. I like to play with Google and Computers. I also like Theology stuff. Hope I'm welcome here? Thank you.

Gazared

Postby Gazared » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 am UTC

Hello, all.
As you can tell by my join date, I'm not technically new. I haven't logged in for quite some time now, though, and wasn't around much to begin with, so I'm sure I've been forgotten. It happens.

Anyway, I am Cheyenne. I come from the land of corn and cows. When I'm not reading or playing music, I can usually be found sitting in front of my Shrine of Wash, crying pondering. I'm a dedicated Whovian and a bit of a Whedonite. I have no soul red hair. I am bad at introductions, even when I've already made one.

... yay?
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yikidy do yikidy da ping pong lippy tappy tootah.
- Advice from the 10th Doctor

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 am UTC

I'm Avi, a 16 year old from California. You may know me as "oh god, that fucking kid" or possibly as an "arrogant little twerp" or potentially as "wait, who? I've never heard of that guy." I enjoy gaming, programming (C++ FTW), and gaming. I have no sense of social restraint and tend to argue about things for hours days years on end because it's what I enjoy doing. I'm currently in (community) college majoring in computer science. I frequent the News & Articles forum, entering every thread that indicates the slightest hint of potential controversy.

Although I have many virtues, including intelligence, argumentativeness, extreme handsomeness, and, of course, modesty, I also have some negative qualities, like Asperger's (not self-diagnosed), a certain degree of anti-sociality, and the delusion that I'm funny. The degree of my open-mindedness is only surpassed by the degree of my closed-mindedness, which is particularly interesting when you consider that I'm bullshitting my way though half of the conversations I engage in.

STATS:
-- HEIGHT: 6'2
-- WEIGHT: 220 lbs
-- STR: -3
-- STA: .7
-- CHARISMA: (-1) * aleph-null
-- CALORIES PER SERVING: 1500
-- ITEM LEVEL (WoW): 333
-- PRICE: $199.99 per unit
-- PROCESSOR: 3.9 hertz, half-core
-- CHEMICAL-BASE: carbon
-- GDP: $6000+
-- POKEDEX (combined regions): 94
-- TYPING SPEED: 125 words per minute
-- MAXIMUM SPEED: 3 mph
-- WINGSPAN: N/A
-- LIFE-STATUS: presumed dead
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:55 am UTC

Welcome back, Gazared.

And hi Avi. Do you expect us to eat you? Because you give your calories.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Welcome back, Gazared.

And hi Avi. Do you expect us to eat you? Because you give your calories.

I figure it's a possibility.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:14 am UTC

hmmm been a page and a bit. I should have been back by now. Sorry guys and girls I just needed to fix the raptor fence. Got my arm chewed of a couple of times but sarge helped, him and his robotics ae. Well the fence is fixed and the raptors are in it. Just keep the gate closed you know what they are like.

Anyway guys the pool is behind you. The raptors are through the door to your left and well you will be fine.

Memorantix

Postby Memorantix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

I'm Tom and I'm 22, I work in network security and im on my final year of my Bsc Computer Forensics degree, from England and living in England. I love golden nuggets cereal and the casting archon tastosis.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

Well hello xkcd forums. My name is Adam. I've been a fan of the site for years and finally decided to join the forums because, well, I figured people that read xkcd are probably pretty sweet and I was in the market for a new internet home.

I am a 26 year old university dropout. My main intellectual interests have traditionally been philosophy, literature and language however I've recently developed a curiosity about the mathematical realm. The more I study the more interdisciplinary my focus becomes. I enjoy seeing how everything ties together, how it all relates, and being able to talk about things from a wide variety of perspectives. I love talking about religion, philosophy, economics, politics, literature, art and I love listening to people talk about mathematics and the sciences though I generally have no idea what they're talking about, at least not in terms of specifics.

I enjoy gaming, particularly strategy, particularly Go, though I'm not very good. I also enjoy tabletop RPGs and Wargames, various boardgames like Settlers and Risk. I am a recovering MMO addict and am currently relearning how to play and enjoy other types of games.

Most of all I enjoy meeting and befriending interesting, unique and intelligent people; which is why I came here.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Undularbore

Postby Undularbore » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Hello y'all! I'm Sabrina and I've been coming to Randall's site for about 3-4 years to laugh and decompress. But today I chose to click on the forum link and register, the world is ending! I'm a non-religious, free-thinker from South Carolina (feel free to joke about that) who savors "differentness", common sense, good food and drink. Which is hard to find here in this pathetic state. I enjoy weather, water, swimming, all sorts of science and general geeky things.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:33 am UTC

Hi. I am Stanley. I joined this forum because some of my friends asked me to and it seemed fun. I am in high school and a proud member of the juggling club. I am known for having golds in me pockets, and being a double agent IRL. I'm totally an interesting person. Nice to meet all of you.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Hello everyone! I'm a Pokemon.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

dduber

Postby dduber » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:47 am UTC

I've been visiting xkcd for the past four and a half years and only visited the forums a handful of times, but figured it's a good forum to belong to.

I'm a software programmer and I'm a gamer by nature. I enjoy playing board games and video games (mostly a PC gamer these days). My favorite board game right now is Small World. I also am an avid fan of Ultimate Frisbee.

One of the main reasons for finally joining the xckd forums is to go partake in some mafia. I played a fair amount of IRL vanilla mafia a long time ago (10+ years), and have participated in forum games occasionally ever since. I'm not sure how I feel about long games, but now that I'm busier I have found it harder to play on the short deadlines. 24 hours for day or night make it rough since I've got work and other activities, so I'm interested in how a longer time frame works... though right now I can't imagine games taking 4 months. =)

ePerson

Postby ePerson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 am UTC

I've been visiting xkcd for quite a while now, ever since I found out about it through qntm.org. I'm from Arizona (for now), and I have the good fortune of living in an area with lots of great hiking nearby. I'm trying to get into photography, but I can't seem to get many opportunities outside of vacations. I am also a huge music geek (mainly classical and stuff before 1980). I am younger than you. Yes, you.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find some more time on the fora than I have up 'til now. So its goodbye for now, as I'm moving on to lurk in the other forums. Oh, and one more thing: thanks for fixing the fences, voicedotter. Please share your containment secrets with the rest of us some time.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Memorantix wrote:I love golden nuggets cereal and the casting archon tastosis.

I think you'll get on just fine. :D

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5405

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

I'm a software engineer. I've been reading xkcd for a long time and have been a periodic unregistered lurker of the forums. Not entirely certain why I decided to register finally, though I have been looking through a bunch of my old forum accounts lately and pondering how I haven't been posting in forums much since college.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

Hi, have fun!

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Soooo..... I'm Mary. Rather nerdy, kinda girly. Mainly into things that explode and/or taste like bacon.

That's all :)

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:16 am UTC

prattmt wrote:explode and/or taste like bacon
And on reading that I thought of bacon pop rocks.. which I don't think I would be a fan of but would probably appeal to others. :P

Welcome Mary. :)
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Hope_ wrote:
prattmt wrote:explode and/or taste like bacon
And on reading that I thought of bacon pop rocks.. which I don't think I would be a fan of but would probably appeal to others. :P

Welcome Mary. :)

They may not appeal to you, but they (and you) appeal to me.

and also, I love them :)

Thanks, love!!

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Waves.
Can find plenty of bacon-related things to satisfy your desires here, and then reading backwards from that point (if you have not already). May get interrupted by some side-tangents such as naming and alcohol from time to time.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:43 am UTC

Deva wrote:Waves.
Can find plenty of bacon-related things to satisfy your desires here, and then reading backwards from that point (if you have not already). May get interrupted by some side-tangents such as naming and alcohol from time to time.

Thank you :)

Nat

Postby Nat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

I prefer to hide my true identity under the name nat. I am actually male, but I kinda like the name Nataly (posted as nat so as to leave the option that I'm male apparent). I also enjoy coconuts.

Woland

Postby Woland » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

Boo. Yeah, I'm a nerd here to talk with other nerds... Or geeks, or people who distinguish between nerds and geeks and are both.

I'm your standard moderately intelligent lazy male teenager, kind of just waiting for secondary school to pass by, amusing myself with books and the occasional video game.

I'm not really sure what else to say, but please do ask me any questions you have

Electromagnet

Postby Electromagnet » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 am UTC

Hey, I'm Electromagnet. In the past, I've only read xkcd one comic at a time when linked to it, but I finally decided to take time and read through the archive. This is a really great comic so I decided to join the forums.

DenSomKastade

Postby DenSomKastade » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

Hellos from Sweden!
I'm studiyng math and physics in the third year of high school. I like to play videogames and all the other nerdy stuff. I'm kind of a forum lurker so I'm not gonna be posting much xD. The xkcd comics are some of the best I've ever read and I want to be able to express myself just as good as Randall.

PS my username is a reply to a certain swedish meme, called skogsturken nut you won't understand if you don't know swedish (sorry) =P
PPS I am curently searching a summerjob in Stockholm, so if the planets align and fate decisedes, give me a pm about a job opening =D

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Hi, I'm Samara. A friend directed me here because I was in desperate need of a new internet community. I'm bad at picking them for myself, so I let someone else do it for me this time. *clings to forum's legs*

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 am UTC

SamaraLexx wrote:Hi, I'm Samara. A friend directed me here because I was in desperate need of a new internet community. I'm bad at picking them for myself, so I let someone else do it for me this time. *clings to forum's legs*

.... one of my legs feels heavier *looks down*

Welcome to the forums, your free T-shirt and refreshments are over this way. There is also free entertainment from Oregonaut in the Screechings of the Great Unwashed thread in general :).
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Hi Samara, your picking friend made a good choice.

Hi everyone else new, too, enjoy yourselves in the forum.

Guerrilla Torture

Postby Guerrilla Torture » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Hello!

Inbetween doing stuff I sometimes do things.

That's all!

8)

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

yes Samara you have found a good place. We are mostly a little crazy but we are all good people and we have almost no trolls.

to all others welcome. watch the raptor cage and don't eat the easter eggs in there so don't.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:25 am UTC

I just read one of the announcements in the advice area where it said that you might be worried about being called an attention seeker for seeking help with your problems....

just wanted to say that, yes, I think that many of you who post here want attention. You are unhappy or worried or upset about something and you want people to notice and care about that for a little while. I'm sorry that the world has made you feel like there's something wrong with that.

And I'm instantly in love with this place. I just came from moderating two forums, that were both so immature just by their nature, that a statement with that kind of maturity almost didn't read as English to me.

*clings harder*

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 am UTC

you realize that is a raptor you are clinging to right?

*backs away slowly and gets a focus rifle to shoot the raptor with*

Inifipy

Postby Inifipy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 am UTC

Hello! A little over a year ago I read "Honor Societies," and didn't read another xkcd comic until this January, when I read them all in about two nights. (Then I realized there was alt text, and had to read them all again.) I thought this forum seemed pretty nice. I like biology, SF, video games, and am one of those people who says they want to write but never actually writes anything.

Actually, I guess I should say, I might have registered for this forum because, on this other forum I frequented, after posting a few times in a controversial thread, a moderator told me I had "crossed the line into trolling." That really shook me. I thought I was an intelligent, courteous, responsible netizen. I would've never thought I could be a troll. It was like... like I find out I was secretly a Cylon all along or something. So I've stayed off the nets lately, and thought I might find a new forum, though I'll still check on the other one. But why am I saying all of this? It's as if I think that now I've gotta go door-to-door and say, "Hello, I'm a troll, and I just moved in right down the street." But, I only mean the best!

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:07 am UTC

don't worry we don't have many trolls here and you could fill that niche in the environment. just try not to be too trollish. anyway welcome. Avoid Raptor cages. The rooms are furnished with whatever you want just make those checks out to cash. The hotel has many places around for each topic.

but yea welcome and don't fear the reaper.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Stellazira, but most people call me either Azira or Az.

I've always found the xkcd comics interesting and decided to join so I would have the opportunity to talk to a different group of people as four other forums I go to mostly have all the same people (there's a bit of a sad story behind that).

I'm a PS3 player currently waiting for Resistance 3, although I'm having a blast with Bad Company 2 and Portal 2. I'll occasionally hop onto a PC and play some games, but I was a PC gamer before I was a big PS3 gamer.

I just finished a semester of university and should now be trying to look for a summer job since unfortunately I couldn't get all my lifeguarding courses done during the year. :P

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Hello all! I am Alan, but will be much easier for everyone if you call me Lorenz I guess.

I just made a very nice introduction of myself, but as soon as I hit submit, I was asked to log in again, so I'll be brief this time.
I live in Mexico. I study Physics (5th semester).
I have been a constant follower of both the XKCD comic and forums for a while now, and finally decided to introduce myself and participate in this lovely community.

It is a pleasure to finally be meeting you.

PS: I was about to register when a thought came rushing to my mind. "This looks oddly suspicious1". I quickly changed my password (forgot it, asked for an email reset, and changed it again), and here I am.

1Would link the word suspicious to xkcd/792 if it were allowed.2
2Thanks to many references from here, I am currently reading House of Leaves, so forgive me if I am a bit-footnote happy.

amazinghat

Postby amazinghat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:02 am UTC

Hello errybody.

My handle is "amazinghat". Not sure why I chose it. My interests are math, physics, chess, and myself. To be honest, I'm pretty bad at the first three. But I'll become good at them. Some day.

If any of you are up for a game of chess, add me on Chess.com. My handle there is also "amazinghat". I would also give you my ChessCube handle, but I've decided to stay off that site because my netbook don't like it. Netbooks suck, by the way.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon May 02, 2011 3:34 am UTC

I'm posting here to say I'm back from my hiatus. So yay. To quote GLaDOS "It's been a loooong time. How have you been?"
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Mon May 02, 2011 8:19 am UTC

welcome back. I hope you enjoy the hotel again. You will not be allowed to leave or the raptors will get you.

Brickman

Postby Brickman » Mon May 02, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Hey. So just joined here because I decided there's very high probabilities of discussions worth having stemming from any given xkcd strip, and I'm guessing you guys'll have some fun community stuff and forum games when I get around to that (not now though, too busy). Also because it's clear that this forum is not slow and I usually get bored and leave from slow forums. You may've seen me elsewhere on the internet, I almost always go by this same screenname just in case it'll help people recognize me; other forums I'm on a lot right now include TV Tropes and MS Paint Adventures.

Also, from time to time I tend to type in really long sentences; I use semicolons or clauses with 'and' or pure unbridled verbosity to extend each one long past the point where it should end. And I ramble at times.

You know, this thread's not nearly as fun as the intro thread on the MSPA forums was. They had themed self-as-a-character intro paragraphs and everything.

Return to “General”