Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

madjo

Postby madjo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:04 am UTC

you lot are all so young... :( *feels old*

I'm not so easily punnable (nor pune-able) as I'm quite mad already.
Oh and I loath the kingdom of loathing. ;)
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

I'm Rilian, I'm 20, and I love number theory. I also study various languages, including Romanian, German and Spanish. I'm on my way to physics class now, so I will come back and edit this post later, if that's possible.

edit: I'm in an intro to CS class now, also intro to engineering and physics 1. I've not entirely picked a major yet. I'm in college, btw. I play DDR, and I love a variety of music, including The Wiggles and High School Musical, and the Beatles. I watched Nickelodeon a lot, and Strange Days at Blake Holsey High. I guess that's enough info.
Last edited by Rilian on Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

That's ok Rillian, you're post is good enough as is.

muzugu

Postby muzugu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

who else plays kol? of those who do, is anyone going to con?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

muzugu wrote:who else plays kol? of those who do, is anyone going to con?

We actually have a KoL thread in the gaming fora. We also have an xkcd clan.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

Hey all. Name's Vekter. There's not much to know about me except that:

1. I'm from Texas, but relocated to Tennessee recently due to reasons unknown by me.
2. I turn 18 in 2 months. :D
3. I love music.
4. WoW FTW (I have a level 28 Human Mage {fire} on Lethon, PM me if you want my toon's name.)
5. xkcd makes me roffle my waffles
6. Also cocks.

:twisted:
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

BollardBoy

Postby BollardBoy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

hey there. names rory =]

my friend got me reading xkcd a few months bcak, i figured i join the forums, i read thm then never bother writing anything. you guys seemd cool so i joined up.

so, yea... im from milton keynes (england) im 17, like a bit o music. i dont realy play all that many games on the computer, dont want it sucking up my life. but i just got a ps1 emulator on my laptop... might have been a bad move :?

im doing my second year of a levels atm, doing maths physics and computing if your bothered.

guess il talk to some of you soon then

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

muzugu wrote:who else plays kol? of those who do, is anyone going to con?

I play off and on. I have to make a new account every time.

Agentlien

Postby Agentlien » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Greetings all you instances of Human (Or whatever naming convention this world is written with) letting your glory reflect upon this forum! I have come as an addition to your ranks, so please don't mind as I push myself into your member list. For the purpose of simplicity you may ignore my actual name and call me Agentlien (pronunced Ah-yen-tli-En), or Age for short.

I am a 20 years old Software Engineering student at Chalmers University of Technology in Göteborg, Sweden. I've basically been fascinated with C/C++ programming since my dad showed it to me when I was nine or ten, and obsessed since the beginning of my teens. I am male as of last time I checked (and so far each time I've checked) and intend to continue being so until next time I check. My thoughts are sometimes more collected and serious than this, but often not.

One of my main interests is programming, C++ being my favourite language. I am also interested in fantasy novels and RPGs (I usually have my friends play pen and paper RPGs I create myself), logic and discrete math as well as languages; Especially English.

Although I take pride in being who I am I must admit that I lose quite a substantial amount of geek factor by being in good physical condition (I trained gymnastics for 7 years and still like to keep in shape) and even worse, being in a long-term relationship (and she isn't even geeky!)

When I have time over I sometimes work in the workshop of a computer store, repairing, servicing and building computers. So if you ever want to hear countless stories of how insane customers can be.. I can almost rival tech support in insanities! Lately I have also done my first professional programming, for a major game studio, and I hope to do more of that.

I like to write or talk in an abundance of words and hence my writs often become tediously long from the viewpoint of others. In recognition of this I shall stop my introduction here, before it becomes an autobiography.
You C, I aim to Assemble a PERL of knowledge, helpful FOR TRANsit to new languages.
___
When writing a report, always include valid references. You never know when the Garbage Collector may stop by.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

Agentlien wrote:Although I take pride in being who I am I must admit that I lose quite a substantial amount of geek factor by being in good physical condition (I trained gymnastics for 7 years and still like to keep in shape) and even worse, being in a long-time relationship (and she isn't even geeky!)

Fortunately the days of all geeks being well out of shape and being antisocial are gone, with only some being like that. But you need to be at least slightly social to join a group of fora like xkcd has (is that the correct grammar?).
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

Whoops. Missed this. I must apologize for being a bad person. Well, I'm me. I have no job to speak of, and do not attend collage. I have little position is life, so I'll simply speak about my personality and all the likes.

I first found xkcd after watching a video on youtube ("DO SOMETHING!!" by thecast) and read how the video had been inspired by a few of xkcd's comics. Still, I never noticed the forum for quite some time.The word best and most often used to describe myself would be retarded. No, not in the medical sense, just in my "unique" way of thinking. I'm not the best at concentrating, and whenever you talk to me you might find the subject jumping all over the place. But I try my best. One might call me a laid-back person. I tend not to worry much about what happens, my motto being "Let life do the lifeing." Meaning everything will work out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to just sit back, relax, and eat a donut. I'm saying there is no reason to get stressed out about EVERY little thing that confronts you. Too many people I know act this way.

Hobbies? Well, I really can't define something that would be considered as a hobby. Video games, Internet, and AIM, maybe. I tend to do whatever I feel like that would entertain me at the moment, however random or spontaneous.

And opposite my silly and retarded side would be my serious side. I like thinking, and I'm into philosophy. I like questioning all that's around me, instead of just accepting it without a thought like most people. In search for answers I tend to make what seem to others as ridiculous claims, and sometimes are asked if I'm on drugs. I'm not. I also tend to take the smallest, insignificant thing and put it under the microscope. Does that make any sense? I believe my ranting on about etiquette on escalators and moving walkways might be a fine example for this, for those still not understanding. That's another thing, I'm not the greatest at conveying my points.

Overall, I'm a silly guy with a sense of humor. Who sucks at introducing himself. I hope this introduction will suffice.

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

Er, 27/M/Boston (ATM)
Gradturkey in astronomy. I research, I code, I quote Monty Python and read the whole 1 vs .9999... thread, so pretty much the usual kinds of insanity around here. Not too many topics to the comic that I don't find amusing/interesting/brainfood.

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

Well, not much to say about me. My name is Justin. Absolutely hate it. I'm 18, I live in the middle of nowhere, Indiana. I'm inbetween jobs, though I've held my G.E.D. for about 2 years now. Got an "honors" degree, which was just a sticker that looked like I won an award in 1st grade. But you have NO idea how happy it makes you feel.

I took the WISC at the age of 12 and joked around with the test taker the entire time. Got a 144 out of a "possible 150" apparently. I still think i should take an adult test and take it seriously this time, maybe I can break my own record, eh?

I actually have a learning disability in math, oddly enough. I sit here and look at the math fora and my brain melts. Anything above pre-algebra is just....above my level. I feel so....inadequate, posting here. But I have very good mental math skills, so maybe it balances out. Maybe not.

Pretty much a boring person all around. I play World of Warcraft (go figure, eh?) in my "spare" time. In my "spare time" as well, I talk to my girlfriend (gasp?!) YES GIRLFRIEND. December will be our 3rd year together.
^
l
l
l
(THAT IS UNTIL SHE LEAVES ME.) <-- [Edited]

*bow*
Last edited by Grlmm on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

e^pi * i = -1? Now you're just fucking with me...

Postby Will » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

Uhh...let's see...introductions...

21/M/Albuquerque

Currently a computer science major at the University of New Mexico. Presently I'm procrastinating on algorithms homework to post this!

I've been lurking around for awhile and figured I should actually participate in disussions (imagine that!) I haven't posted on forums regularly in many years, but the community here actually seems really cool.

Oh, and I'm incredibly amazed I was able to get this username.

petra

Postby petra » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:37 am UTC

My name is jennifer, I'm 32 and live in the west section of the us of a.
I recently quit my job as it was killing me... but soon the money will run out, I'll have to find some purpose to life and hopefully make some cash in the midst of it all.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to stand still and do whichever I can do that's there for me at the moment (how's that for commitment). I read a lot. I spend most of my days doing 'research' on random 'stuff'. I love games but have yet to find a partner. I watch films and I have renewed my love for making food. I love/hate all my distractions - that may be why my house is still a mess after moving and also how I got here. I'm ubercurious about life and people and things and the madness of it all. I like dancing. I like being humbled. My dancing humbles me. I kid, I kid... But really, what am I to say? I apparently don't enjoy presenting myself in a marketable way... Some fall in love with me, some I'm sure I annoy... Perhaps they just don't get it. ...maybe I don't. C'est la vie. If you do, then yay. Hello.

cyan

Postby cyan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:53 am UTC

I'm cyan. 22, nearly 23, and a newly minted grad student (only for a year, though -- then it's off to find a real life for myself!)

Studying electrical engineering (focus computer engineering, further focus the practical computer science and high level computer architecture-y aspects), which leaves me with ever so much free time. It's an awesome subject area as a whole, though, so I don't mind too much. 8)

Hobbies:
- Studying languages (So far I've wracked up Japanese, German, Russian, and Chinese, though Japanese is the only one I have retained significantly more than "Hi, my name is, let me count to 10" in.)
- Aikido (Japanese martial art)
- playing video games (RPGs with lots of plot FTW)

FlamingDemon

Postby FlamingDemon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:05 am UTC

Hi. I'm James, or Jim, whichever people prefer. I'm 18, 19 by the end of the year, about to start a MSci Mathematics and Philosophy at Bristol University in merry old England. I'm hoping here is a place where people don't immediately give me strange looks and think thats a weird combination as soon as I tell them about it.

Picked up xkcd a while ago, someone linked the proximity to cats graph one in a blog, and loved it. I especially like the warm fuzzy feeling you occasionally get when you actually know the maths involved for once (I'm hoping that will increase now... or if it doesn't then I'm probably failing my course)

Don't really have any specific hobbies as such; I like internet, video games, listening to music, going out with friends etc.

So uh, yeah. Hello. Please don't set the Velociraptors on me.

Archena

Postby Archena » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:24 am UTC

Hello, guten tag, 大家好, etc...

In reality I've been named Matt, but I tend to go by the name Archena on the Internet. I'm 22, studying computer science at the university of Newcastle in England.

I've been lurking here for some time now and finally decided to join. I'm heavily into mathematics and computing. I'm interested in physics and other sciences too but I don't know as much as I should about them - physics in particular (I'm sure I can learn more than a little from here).

Other interests include philosophy, languages (I can speak some German, Spanish, Chinese. Wish I had time to learn lots more).

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Greetings all n00bs who haven't been greeted yet! Surprised no one got around to you yet, but I'm happy to do the honors.

jtniehof wrote:read the whole 1 vs .9999... thread

That's not nerdiness. That's masochism.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:00 am UTC

cyan wrote:- Aikido (Japanese martial art)
- playing video games (RPGs with lots of plot FTW)

Awesome, I've done a year or so of Aikijujutsu (historical precursor to Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba trained in this) and I love RPGs. Welcome to the forums - you'll like it here.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:09 pm UTC

Hi there!
I'm 21, I've studies one semester of Chemestry at the University, been slacking alot, love cooking, and will probably study linguistics this spring. Shall be interesting.

daydalus

Postby daydalus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

Hello.

Been a lurker for a while, drawn by comics. Most forums are banned at my work, this one is still available. So here I be!

woktiny

I'm not a spambot.

Postby woktiny » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

I'm a real person. I write code, and I make comics, most of which only a few people find funny. Fortunately, I'm usually one of those people.

I generally try to lurk/avoid forums, but, after the last comic http://www.xkcd.com/314/ I failed to resist further.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

I'm Rick. Just about to turn 29 (in a week). Live near Chicago.

Haven't been able to sleep well the past two nights thinking about the xkcd number vs. the clarkkkkson number.

Decided to post because of that and the fact that this upcoming birthday will actually finally "uncreepify" my current relationship. Good thing I hadn't heard of that rule earlier I guess.

I suppose that'll do for now.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dr.Beardface

Postby Dr.Beardface » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Hey ho everyone on the Internet.

My nametag reads JD at places where people wear nametags.

I live in an island in Scotland somewhere and am currently studying for my highers.

I like Biochemphysics and computers and have been reading xkcd for a while now.

Figured I may as well post on the forums too.

Gullindjemprins

Postby Gullindjemprins » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Hi there. I'm Gullindjemprins (which means the Golden Prince of Demons). I'm just 16, living on the east coast of the US. Xkcd was pointed out to me a few weeks ago, and after reading through the entire archive and scanning across the forums, I decided to join. I probably won't talk much, but it never hurts to have an account.

And now, to fill out all those things that people always say:
I'm a junior in high school. I'm currently interested in computer science (taking AP Comp Sci AB), am writing a book, and rock climb and fence, to offset my otherwise extreme nerdiness. I like a variety of music and I play the piano and guitar. I like making references to obscure movies/songs/books, so if I say something that seems strangely out of place, that's probably why. I work at the public library and like to burn things (small things) in my spare time.

I think that's enough to prove I'm not a spambot, no?
Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscrib'd
In one self place; but where we are is hell,
And where hell is, there must we ever be.

NinjaArcana

Postby NinjaArcana » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

You fence? Good, I have some items that need to be sold, :).

Anyways, Hey all, it's me NinjaArcana. I've been around for a while, but usually don't post much. It's was pointed out to a friend of mine, and I joined shortly thereafter because of the Xkcdia thread, which I thought was interesting. I'm on at all the random times possible, so strike up a conversation or post something, and we can have a little chit-chat.

Dr.Beardface

Postby Dr.Beardface » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 pm UTC

I too fence!

Is there a thread for that?

Gullindjemprins

Postby Gullindjemprins » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

A quick search says... no. There was a sports thread that died over a month ago in which it was apparently mentioned, but no dedicated thread. That being said, I'm rather new at this, and to err is human.

And I'm not in the market, I'm fine with my current equipment. When i break this one I'll let you know, though.
Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscrib'd
In one self place; but where we are is hell,
And where hell is, there must we ever be.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

Dr.Beardface wrote:I too fence!

Is there a thread for that?

I three fence! Poorly.

And there should be.

petra

Postby petra » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am UTC

Hoshi no Kabii wrote:Whoops. Missed this. I must apologize for being a bad person. Well, I'm me. I have no job to speak of, and do not attend collage. I have little position is life, so I'll simply speak about my personality and all the likes.

I first found xkcd after watching a video on youtube ("DO SOMETHING!!" by thecast) and read how the video had been inspired by a few of xkcd's comics. Still, I never noticed the forum for quite some time.The word best and most often used to describe myself would be retarded. No, not in the medical sense, just in my "unique" way of thinking. I'm not the best at concentrating, and whenever you talk to me you might find the subject jumping all over the place. But I try my best. One might call me a laid-back person. I tend not to worry much about what happens, my motto being "Let life do the lifeing." Meaning everything will work out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to just sit back, relax, and eat a donut. I'm saying there is no reason to get stressed out about EVERY little thing that confronts you. Too many people I know act this way.

Hobbies? Well, I really can't define something that would be considered as a hobby. Video games, Internet, and AIM, maybe. I tend to do whatever I feel like that would entertain me at the moment, however random or spontaneous.

And opposite my silly and retarded side would be my serious side. I like thinking, and I'm into philosophy. I like questioning all that's around me, instead of just accepting it without a thought like most people. In search for answers I tend to make what seem to others as ridiculous claims, and sometimes are asked if I'm on drugs. I'm not. I also tend to take the smallest, insignificant thing and put it under the microscope. Does that make any sense? I believe my ranting on about etiquette on escalators and moving walkways might be a fine example for this, for those still not understanding. That's another thing, I'm not the greatest at conveying my points.

Overall, I'm a silly guy with a sense of humor. Who sucks at introducing himself. I hope this introduction will suffice.

Huh. This is intriguing and odd. Do I know you from somewheres?

dantebot

Postby dantebot » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:41 am UTC

[s]Hi, I'm not a bot, I just play[/s]
Hi,

I joined because Randall said he probably won't read his emails, and IRC sounded ephemeral. The forum rules are the least fun I've yet to meet. Check out my post #2

aku

Postby aku » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 am UTC

Well, I'm majoring in Computer Science at WSU. But, I'm just a 121 (intro) level student, so I know less about programming then almost everyone I've seen post. :/ In time, I suppose.

I'm a sophomore, 19 years old. Oh, and I'm a guy. I think that covers the a/s/l...

I like playing games, though I haven't had the money for it in a while. (I've been looking forward to Halo 3 for over a year and I don't even have a 360, when it comes out in two weeks... a bit depressing.) I also love reading, but I haven't had much time for it lately. (Also somewhat depressing.) I used to read a lot of Micheal Crichton and Stephen King, and Tom Clancy, and John Grisham... I basically find a book I like, then read everything that author has out, and move on to another author. I was into a bit more scientific material during my senior year of high school; I read a few books by Stephen Hawking, and On Relativity. I read some string theory books too... I can't say I remember a lot of that though. I had trouble wrapping my head around that one.

Oh wow, speaking of science, how could I forget Arthur C Clarke? I read most of what I could find from him, I really couldn't get enough. I loved him Tales from the White Heart (Hart? I'm not sure). I thought those were really fun.

I think I probably wrote enough random information about myself at this point. Oh, but one last thing I guess. I have some bad sleep habits. heh.

chaismata

Postby chaismata » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:37 am UTC

Hey up.

I'm a 22 year old dental student from Northern Ireland, studying in Glasgow. My username is saladin, though I have a feeling it'll be changing (because one of your mods calls himself "saladin" - strange coincidence...).

Anyway, I spent the last few days reading the back catalogue of comics on this site and felt the need to sign up to the forums. Right now, I'm trying to word this without the usual over-enthusiastic tone that "first posts" on forums always seem to have, but possibly without much success.

If anyone is interested, I currently write reviews of games on Console Obsession (not a great name, I know, but it's free games). My recent reviews are Bioshock and Boogie for the Wii (which was shockingly bad).

gnomes

Postby gnomes » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Gnomes.

More later when I'm not hating Access 97.