Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:53 am UTC

Probably the maths forum.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

dunstergirl

Postby dunstergirl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Hello, I am 52 (thus a dinosaur to most of you), live in the wilds of east-central BC, and yes, get bored often. I have been using computers and "online" (in some form or another) since most of you were in diapers: yes, I remember 1200 baud modems, not fondly. I once knew Fortran and Pascal and even Basic but have forgotten them all, especially since they are completely irrelevant. Now I edit what other scientists write and mostly it pisses me off. Single mom with teenager, three cats, two dogs, and uncounted generally feral chickens who after a decade of mostly natural selection reproduce and survive with almost no assistance from yours truly. Oh, and I went to MIT too, and it taught me to avoid academia if I cared for my sanity. Not that the alternative helped.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

Welcome dunstergirl! Given your experience with bird evolution, I bet you'll be able to make some very interesting contributions to our recent threads about feathered dinosaurs and the like. :)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 am UTC

dunstergirl wrote:Oh, and I went to MIT too, and it taught me to avoid academia if I cared for my sanity. Not that the alternative helped.

So the "Dunster" part of your username doesn't have anything to do with that other school in Cambridge?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

dunstergirl

Postby dunstergirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:33 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
dunstergirl wrote:Oh, and I went to MIT too, and it taught me to avoid academia if I cared for my sanity. Not that the alternative helped.

So the "Dunster" part of your username doesn't have anything to do with that other school in Cambridge?

Bahaha, no, tho I took a class there also. It's where I live, a real place, unlike anywhere near Cambridge :-)
Bury me in the devil's bourbon glass, kill me if Ethel's Lounge is closed.

selfassembled

Postby selfassembled » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 am UTC

First off I'll say this is probably the most interesting and well structured forum I've ever seen. A definite replacement for n-philes, a long since dying community. I haven't gauged if this forum is too active to be personal yet, but there's much to gain either way. The comic is definitely an excellent beacon for cool people.

I'm Self Assembled (first and last name) from Ann Arbor, MI. Student at U of M, moved out of the D. My work involves making frankensteins out of rats and computer parts. I'm so male it often bothers me. and...I'm too tired to bother writing anything else right now, maybe later.

ka7th

Postby ka7th » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:22 pm UTC

hello I am a recent maths graduate from the UK and hvae been reading the XKCD comics for several years now.

flintlockpistols
Location: In your garden, stealing your pumpkins. (What pumpkins?)

Postby flintlockpistols » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

Hi, my name's Beth (otherwise known as my username). I'm 14, currently a freshman in high school and I'm vying for a minor in Classics and possibly a bachelor's degree in Design (illustration).

Um, wow, I'm really young compared to nearly everyone here.

Anyway, I've been reading XKCD for about a year and a half, and I've been lurking around the forums for, I dunno, a few weeks?

also I like to use commas, if that wasn't already apparent.

Kube

Postby Kube » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

Hello there. My name is above. I am a 16 year old male finishing high school in about three months. I've been reading xkcd since something like comic 600 or so. Never really kept track. I like talking about stuff. Anything. Kinda. Not much else to say. Anyway, hi.

offscott

Postby offscott » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

Hey there ^_^ I'm Scott and I come from Scotland and I'm 15 years old. I joined this forum because I know I'll be at home :L. I think I'm quite nerdy, but I think you'll put me to shame.
I like maths and doodling with it, I come up with weird theories too and some interesting ideas :D. I hope I haven't thought too highly of myself. I hope I enjoy it here!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Hi above!
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

pne

Postby pne » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 pm UTC

Hi! I'm Philip, 37, software developer in Hamburg, Germany. Amateur linguist. Try-lingual (will try any language!).

My hobby is languages and writing systems.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

I like you already :) .

I may steal that word you invented.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 am UTC

Welcome those that I have not welcomed. Enjoy your stay, watch for raptors and make use of the hotel facilities. If you have any questions please direct them to the staff, I do not work here, I just like making people feel welcome.

Laserdan

Postby Laserdan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

I'm a 27 year old database developing dude from Europe, I'm generally magic, a militant atheist and hater of all pseudoscience, and if you made a chart about what I find funny, it would be a wildly irregular shape slightly resembling the face of Bob Saget on a toast. People tell me that the insanity is visible in my eyes but I know I'm not. I'm not. My favourite hair color in women is strawberry blonde and intensely blue eyes are a requirement. I hate nose piercings. I FUCKING HATE THEM. I'm also in a relationship that recently went over the 12-year-line, which is also most certainly, but probably not, a sign that people do not dislike me as much as I dislike them. I also like to place stealth non-sequiturs everywhere I can hide them. So come at me bro!
"Sobriety is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."

zenhuman

Postby zenhuman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

I'm a 36 year-old male who currently hails from Los Angeles. Among other things, I'm a poet and thinker. I've been reading xkcd for over a year now, turned on to it by my lovely gal (we're both super-nerdy). I hold a masters degree in philosophy, and have taught philosophy and humanities at a couple of universities. My area of specialization is metaphor. I also act, and you may have seen me on TV...if you watch the Discovery channel. I've studied several languages and suck at all but English (although I held my own translating last weekend when we had to ask a German couple to switch us camping spots). This looks like a cool place, and I'm happy to be here!

fshfood

Postby fshfood » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Hello .. I'm probably older than a lot of you. But i am a statistician and strategy game geek. Good to be here.

dock

Postby dock » Tue May 01, 2012 7:54 am UTC

I'm dock. I study Engineering (almost done) and am into the predictable sci fi (shows) and fantasy (books) in my spare time. I signed up a while ago and somehow never got around to posting, but I quite like it here.

Hi! :)

lynx

Postby lynx » Tue May 01, 2012 9:27 am UTC

Hi all, I'm Luke. I signed up on this forum after years of following xkcd comics, just to see what all this fuss is about! I read Chinese Studies and am currently on exchange in China proper! I speak a fair bit of the language so I'm having a great time. I look forward to meeting you all!

rogue8bit

Postby rogue8bit » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

hey y'all, I'm rogue.

a pal of mine recommended I check out the forums here a few months ago, I've been a long time follower of xkcd, and every fan I meet is a swell person in my book*.

I'm kickin it currently in Boston, I'm a nerd through and through- music, video games, movies- you name it, I can usually yap about it for hours (or! if I can't, I want YOU to tell me things for hours*).

I'm a rocket scientist (propulsion engineer officially... same thing...), I'm snarky, I'm an aspiring performer (stand up/musicstuffs mainly), avid tweeter... Vegan, love bikes, shows, adventures, etc.

*some exceptions apply

Jace01

Postby Jace01 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am UTC

Hello everyone.................I am Jace. I am new here. I am student of delhi university. I just want to say hello all of you! :D

ohnoargh

Postby ohnoargh » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 am UTC

Hey, I'm Maura. I a MD native living in the Twin Cities, and I am less than 2 weeks away from graduating with a BA in computer science (and exactly 1 month away from being a Grown Up with a Grown Up Job making Grown Up Money doing Grown Up Web Development). Victory! I like Star Trek, blueberries, camping, dogs, and my boyfriend. And xkcd, obviously. Hi.

Kitutal

Postby Kitutal » Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

Helloes everyone. Oliver here, been a fan of the comic for some months, then I look up, oh what, there's forums? so yea, here I am.
23, architecture student from Kent, though starting to regret moving away from the sciencey maths stuff I used to enjoy so much. I'm fascinated by science and computers and such like, I just don't know much about them yet, or where to start learning. One of my aims in life is to learn enough to understand all the jokes here.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 am UTC

Hello all.

I am Kewangji. I decided to be avant-garde just now and introduce myself even though I'm pretty well known 'round these parts. That's avant-garde, right?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon May 07, 2012 10:40 am UTC

Kewangji, you get silly ideas when you are up so late :D .

(Note to others: Kewanji were up so late together ... on Twitter.)

Kitutal wrote:One of my aims in life is to learn enough to understand all the jokes here.

Sounds like a plan. Enjoy yourself around here!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Kewangji, you get silly ideas when you are up so late :D .

(Note to others: Kewanji were up so late together ... on Twitter.)
I totally do, and we totally were!

Kitutal wrote:One of my aims in life is to learn enough to understand all the jokes here.

Oh!

Start with this one:
Why did the semelparous organism date the pyrotechnics guy?
Spoiler:
It wanted to go out with a bang.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

Two organic chemists are working on a synthesis that involves liberating hydroxyl radicals from phenolic compounds when one turns to the other and says, "What if the acetylsalicylic acid refuses to accept the hydroxyl ions?" To which the other replies, "That's no hydroxyl ion, that's my wife!"
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

FakePalindrome

Postby FakePalindrome » Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 am UTC

Hello,
My name is Joamm. I have the soul of a 76 year old woman (my love of cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing) and a 13 year old nerd (my love of science fiction, comic books, video games), but the outward appearance of a 27 year old woman who with some frequency swears like a sailor. Right now, I'm living and working in South Korea as an English conversation teacher.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

FakePalindrome wrote:Hello,
My name is Joamm. I have the soul of a 76 year old woman (my love of cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing) and a 13 year old nerd (my love of science fiction, comic books, video games), but the outward appearance of a 27 year old woman who with some frequency swears like a sailor. Right now, I'm living and working in South Korea as an English conversation teacher.

I like you now already.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

FakePalindrome wrote:love of cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing... science fiction, comic books, video games ...swears like a sailor.

Yeah, you'll fit in here nicely. Particularly as you seem an amalgamation of the forum at large. The only thing missing is a borderline obsession with Joss Whedon and arranging the various captains in Star Trek by height from time to time.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 am UTC

Welcome all new members. Enjoy your stay, please stay here for the rest of your life and you don't have to pay for your stay, we are charging people that leave and never come back right? Or was that vetoed?

Anyway welcome to the forums Ala xkcd. Keep away from any raptors and don't annoy the staff or the hat guy. I'm your friendly welcoming otter. As for any questions please direct them at staff. I am not staff, I just like to welcome people.

James Marcus

Postby James Marcus » Sat May 19, 2012 7:26 am UTC

Hey, Chochachos!

I'm a twenty-one year old gent, I watch movies, play video-games, read books and poetry, smoke marijuana, chain-smoke cigarettes
(I think I've burned through about four smokes whilst writing this pile of irrelevant information), uh, drink alcohol, too.

I'm particularly interested in the studying fields of astronomy and biology. Going to start studying Biology (not sure yet if I'm going for pathology or microbiology) in September, I'm working a deskjob in the meanwhile.

Oh, uh, yeah, I like to indulge myself in the art of manliness. I also like anything to do with classy suits, three-piece suits, gentlemen shoes and all that. Alright I think I'm done with embarassing myself, for now.

James Marcus

Postby James Marcus » Sat May 19, 2012 10:19 am UTC

Oh, shit, yeah. I forgot to mention I discovered XKCD back when Achewood.com started linking to it. So this must be around 2006-2008? I can't even remember.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon May 28, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

Hey all!!
My name's mike-I used to come on the fora quite often (this is a few years ago now) but I was a little annoying teenager/preteen who was really annoying. I'd like to think I'm not so annoying now.
But yeah, I only recently dropped back into reading the comics remotely regularly, so I thought I'd pop on and introduce myself 'cause chances of anyone simply remembering me are awful slim.
So yeah, hi I'm Mike :)

bentomat

Postby bentomat » Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Hello. I am Bentomat and I made an account to play with the riddles in the "Logic Puzzles" subforum. Now, if that's enough socializing to prove I'm not a robot, I'd like to return to my math.

Dex

Postby Dex » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Hi.

My name is Ed but my friends call me Dexter. That's Dexter from Dexter's Lab not the serial killer guy. its a name I got during high school orientation and it just stuck.

I'm currently 28 years old and live in a southern African country.

I do page layout at a daily newspaper. Studied graphic design but dropped out after 2 years. (Art history blows)

When I'm not working I like to play computer games or read random crap online. Heck, I'll read almost anything.

I also like martial arts, particularly Karate, but my work schedule sadly doesn't allow me to attend classes anymore, which is a pitty really, since I'm only one belt away from Black. :( Don't get me started on Karate though. I won't stop talking. In fact, keeping this part of my intro short required an insane amount of self-discipline. :D

I listen to a wide variety of music and by wide I mean anything from Don Williams, to Katherine Jenkins, to Rammstein, to Massive Attack. I really don't like music snobs. No-one gets to tell me what I'm suppose to like.

Anyway, that's it for now. got any questions? Just ask.

P.S. Sorry if my grammar and punctuation sucks, I try, but English is not my first language.

McGrupp

Postby McGrupp » Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 am UTC

My name is Jason, I'm 21 and I'm pursuing a bachelor of science in biology at the moment. I am a huge nerd, particularly of the computer variety - I started a small hosting company with a buddy of mine from high school last February and doing PC repair/setups/etc. has been my main source of income for a while now. (Side note: WORKING FOR YOURSELF IS THE BEST THING EVER. I hope I don't have to go back to having a boss once I have to start paying off these student loans.)

I am a great lover of music and a musician of some sort as well! I've played the electric bass since 2000 and the upright since 2010. I currently play bass in an "almost working" fusion/funk/hip-hop band. We finished recording our first album last month and are heading into the studio to record two more next month. By that time we hope to have production finished on our first one so we can release it AND pick a release date for the next one. I also teach lessons!

I have two fire-bellied toads and a lot of really great friends.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am UTC

Hi all,

Alex, aka Suzaku, here. I'm a 36-year-old Aussie male, married with three kids and living in Tokyo, Japan.

I work in IT, mainly planning and running infrastructure projects, and spend a lot of my free time (which isn't much, see number of kids) playing with/on PCs.

I love music, especially British and Irish folk and folk-rock. I enjoy, and was at one time quite good at, singing, although now that's usually limited to singing in the bath.

I also read, particularly SF, fantasy and historical fiction. I'm a huge fan of the Aubrey-Maturin novels.

Anyway, I can't think of much else to say, so...
Cheers all,
Alex.

EDIT: Also, post number 9999 :) ...and there was much rejoicing.

Dk_Med

Postby Dk_Med » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Hello, I'm Dan.

I'm 19 years old and approaching my third decade in this world. Unfortunately, and with utmost embarrassment, I have read xkcd comics for three years, but came across the forum only two weeks ago and have not stopped reading it since.

And as above, whoopee, 10000! Another landmark on the infinite struggle onwards.

SpaceFrank

Postby SpaceFrank » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Frank. I'm a 26/Male/Hetero/AgnosticLibertarianTechnophile from Houston. I'm an engineer by formal education and practice, and an amateur student of anything else that seems interesting at the time. Been reading XKCD since... I have no idea. Probably sometime early in college, 2005ish? Created a forum account a few years ago for some reason, but I've only been lurking/posting regularly for a couple weeks.

Interests include vidya games, firearms, cars, airplanes, things that fly in space, consuming mass quantities, and tinkering with stuff. I currently have a pretty sweet mustache.

Also, I think I sniped the 10,000th reply to this thread.

Return to “General”