Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:SO you haven't seen my addition to that board yet then, have ya Spitvalve.

Seriously, I still have no idea what you were referring to...

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

Hi Sorcyress!!

i remember you!! i gave you a dollar and the bobbly red spider head band! :)

good to see you here... you were fun to hang out with!! :)
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Kostaz

Hello!

Postby Kostaz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:28 am UTC

I'm another of those people joining the forum cause of the meet-up.

My name is Kosta, I'm a 25 year old guy from Cambridge, MA. By day I am a mild mannered Library Science student and encoder for the Mass Historical Society. By night I pretend to be a rock star and circus sideshow freak.
I've been playing in various bands my whole life, but decided I needed to not be poor, you can still find me juggling, spinning poi, or playing my bass and trumpet around the greater Boston area.

I was at the meet-up and was the guy with the black shirt on that said:

English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Me: Sans aforementioned shirt

Sadly, we do not use HTML around here; instead it's bbcode. I fixed your tags. (Just so's you know what's up.) Awesome shirt, by the way.

Woah, one of the mods is in a goood mood today!

I'm always in a good mood. It's what fools everyone until I get with the deletin' and the lockin' and suchlike.

streather

Postby streather » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:35 am UTC

Hi Everyone,

i'm Streather, 22 years old from the sunny united kingdom, currently unemployed although im a would be chemist :lol:, my current interests include music, movies, reading, song writing, script writing playing my guitar, playing games on my pc and wii, problem solving, logic puzzles and playing with my ferrets :)

I discovered xkcd not too long ago thanks to numerous stories on digg and reddit and i've been lurking on the forums for a while and decided it could be a interesting place to have a decent chat for once :)

and i need tips for raptor proofing my house just incase *looks around suspiciously*

drunkmunky

Postby drunkmunky » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:54 am UTC

Hey all, long time reader first time poster yada yada. I signed up ages ago so I could request the "map of the internet" poster along with lots of other people and I can't remember if I introduced myself then so I will repeat it now anyway :)

I'm from the tiny state of Tasmania in Australia, currently working as a techie at a high school. I'm into many nerdy things, mostly to do with computers, also books and cars (I used to play the card game Magic, was possibly the height of my nerdiness). I'm currently trying to defeat my World of Warcraft addiction for the third time without much luck. Also I love KITTENS!!!

visualpollution

Postby visualpollution » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:06 am UTC

Hey.... I've stalked the forum for a while, been reading xkcd for a longer while, and went to the meetup with a nifty sign. I also read other webcomics, which have pretty much taken me in a circular way around the internet(s). I go to college but am NOT an engineering/math/science/cs major.
And I am dang tired right now.

Doctor

Postby Doctor » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:18 am UTC

Doctor here.

Been reading the strip for a while, I guess got here from Reddit. I'm in MA, so obviously I had to make it to the meetup. So here I am.

spotrh

Postby spotrh » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Hi fora! I joined because of the meetup, I was the guy with the baby raptor (not to be confused with Okita, who is infinitely cooler).

My day job is hacking on Linux for a little company called Red Hat. I just moved to the Boston area (from Chicago), and I'm eager to meet other fun, smart people in the area.

Once upon a time, I graduated from the North Carolina School of Science and Math.
I painted a wall in my office completely with white-board paint so that I could draw on it, even though I possess no artistic talent whatsoever.
I have pet frogs (fire-bellied toads).
I own a working pinball machine.

My LJ is here: http://spot.livejournal.com

lava

Postby lava » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Goddammit, I missed the meetup, and my life takes place in Cambridge. Aargh.

Anyway, I'm Raf. I'm supposed to be at MIT but that's not happening right now cause I'm doing a startup. I've been reading XKCD since the sudo comic. I decided to join the forum because I'd like to get to know other smart people. People ask me all the time, 'do you know anyone who's interested in...' and I never do.

You can find my interblag at http://www.herecomesthescience.com. This post might be interesting to XKCD readers: http://www.herecomesthescience.com/gene ... ets-xkcdd/
Last edited by lava on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bassett

Who am I?

Postby bassett » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Hey, everybody.
My name's Justin, and I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster.

I'm 17, from Latham (Albany) , New York. I enjoy long walks on the beach and scary movies. Wait, wrong website.

paleblue

Postby paleblue » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:15 am UTC

Hihi,
I was at the meetup, and decided I ought to register with the forums. Then I caught the side of Chaosspawn's poke at Nyren.

So... Hi. I'm one of those silly WPI people. I'm very nearly gradumacated, with a BS in mechanical engineering. I've been a linux geek for about 5 years now, and currently use Gentoo.

I know PERL regular expressions.

Mracton

Postby Mracton » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Hello everybody. I'm Ari (or acton, whichever you prefer). Im 17, and from Brooklyn, NY. Senior in HS, and in desparate need of a job. Long time XKCD fan and reader of forums, but after the thighs comic finally decided to register.

I'm a nerd i suppose, but more a movie and tv (and music to an extent) nerd rather than a science/math one, but a nerd's a geek right :P? But I love reading about anything science related, especially space, and spend hours reading wikipedia and not doing anyhting productive (what's homework?). I speak read and write greek fluently - im greek - and, uhh. I play guitar, not in a band, unless you count any school productions. So technically im a band geek too. sweet.

Also love video games, although lately ive been out of touch. There was a point where I had 3 subscriptions and was a slave to FFXI, but those days are long gone. I still enjoy them though (i cant get enough of dead rising, and i recently beat bioshock, which was great, but the ending wasnt satisfying =\).

Oh and, as you can see, i talk. way to much. I cant help it, i just keep typing/talking aimlessly, but lately ive been able to control myself. like now.

okay now. im done. thats it. thanks guys, and hope to not be a crappy forum member =D

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:14 am UTC

drunkmunky wrote:I'm from the tiny state of Tasmania in Australia, currently working as a techie at a high school.

*sends techie love!*

shinybaby wrote:Hi Sorcyress!!

i remember you!! i gave you a dollar and the bobbly red spider head band! :)

good to see you here... you were fun to hang out with!! :)

Yay, you were fun to hang out with too! I love the bobble-spiders, although my roommate gave me a very strange look when I came in wearing it. The poor thing is unfortunately much more normal then I am.

~Sor
MOOP!

drunkmunky

Postby drunkmunky » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:51 am UTC

Sorcyress wrote:*sends techie love!*

Weirdest mental image ever..... :D

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:02 am UTC

Hello, I'm Jad. 23 year old internet addict, linux user, music lover, politic-guru. Currently going to school to be that guy who has to fix problems for the sea of never ending excitement and wonder that are users. Members of IT, we salute you.

Lives in Detroit, watches first hand the death of the domestic auto industry, distracts self with Tigers and Red Wings.

Thankfully, does not talk in third person all the time. Usually never.

sql_lall

Postby sql_lall » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:48 am UTC

G'day

<--- sql_lall = Pat

A full-time coder, part-time musician, and should-spend-more-time uni student (maths/CS, no surprise I guess).
And also from Australia if the first word didn't give it away :)

Edit: ooh! forgot - sql_lall has nothing to do with sql - it's 'squall' [which I later found out was the name of an FF character] but that was taken years ago when I tried to use it somewhere, so u became l_l.

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

Sorcyress wrote:
I am Sorcyress
This is my intro haiku
Old habits die hard*

Awesome!
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Dunasrng

Postby Dunasrng » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:47 pm UTC

Hallo.

Longtime lurker here, actually. American, High School Senior, yadda yadda.

Learz

Postby Learz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

Hey.
I got into xkcd from a friend, who may or may not be on these forums (I'll have to ask him). I like xkcd, and added it to my growing pool of net comics I visit (yay!).
I am currently 18 years old, enjoy anything interesting and/or funny, live in New York, go to college, and.... that's 'bout it, I guess.
Chances are I'll be yet another forum lurker. So deal with it.
I've gone sane.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:08 pm UTC

My question to you Learz is this:

Original or remake?

Learz

Postby Learz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:My question to you Learz is this:

Original or remake?

???
You mean my account....?
This is my first account on the xkcd forums.
>.>
I've gone sane.

sql_lall

Postby sql_lall » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

My guess is: which version of lost in space is better....maybe :?

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

eristic wrote:
Sorcyress wrote:
I am Sorcyress
This is my intro haiku
Old habits die hard*

Awesome!

Hehe, thanks! Sluggy.net forced new visitors to post haiku (or other poetry) in their intro-thread, then rewarded them with random gifts.

drunkmunky wrote:
Sorcyress wrote:*sends techie love!*

Weirdest mental image ever..... :D

Techies do it in the dark, with power tools, behind the scenes, behind the curtain, and on cue.

As for me and my lovely friend here...we're thespians. Would you like to watch? *winks bawdily*

~Sor
MOOP!

Bicycle

Postby Bicycle » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Hi I'm Mike from the UK. I've finished A Level maths (high school) so I'm just about to start studying physics at Imperial. I'm quite interested in maths and tend to do random problems to pass the time.

Other than that, I spend way too much time playing pool :D

gammafunction

Postby gammafunction » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Oh well, long time lurker. Who was not at the meetup, Denmark being a bit too far away from Boston.

19 years old, studies Math/CS at the local university - likes maths and theoretical CS, loathes being forced to learn Java. Reads a lot.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

aerojad wrote:Hello, I'm Jad. 23 year old internet addict, linux user, music lover, politic-guru. Currently going to school to be that guy who has to fix problems for the sea of never ending excitement and wonder that are users. Members of IT, we salute you.

Lives in Detroit, watches first hand the death of the domestic auto industry, distracts self with Tigers and Red Wings.

Thankfully, does not talk in third person all the time. Usually never.

You remind me of someone from the Opera forums, back in the day.

Coelacanth

Postby Coelacanth » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:20 pm UTC

Hello. I'm Dirk. I am 19 years old, a sophomore, and a chemistry/math double major.

I live in Virginia and I use Gentoo.

Copperhead

Postby Copperhead » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Dave -1st year physics at UWaterloo Canada
I got an account because i wanted to post that there was a review of XKCD in the Student Newspaper- but i couldn't find where to post it. XKCD has been my homepage for about a year.... for some reason that sounds like i am admitting that i have a problem at an AA meeting.
What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher.

Sana

Postby Sana » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:36 am UTC

Hello. Long-time reader, first-time poster. My name's Sana and I don't have much to say about myself. I usually only talk when someone's asked a question, or made a statement.

I'm not the kind of person who initiates the discussion, especially with people I don't know.

jeff_attack

Postby jeff_attack » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Hey I'm Jeff, I joined last night but I was too lazy/sleepy to do the introduction and all that jazz. Anyway, I'm 18, from Montreal, studying Pure and Applied science.

Here's a few things I'm into; (I'm not sure if that called for a semi-colon, but I jump at the chance to use one of those things)

-Making movies
-Writing
-Sleeping
-Kiwis (The bird)
-Kiwis (The fruit)
-Eating animals
-Playing RISK and making all the little men point towards the country they're attacking
-Shark Repellent a la Batman
-Flying Kites...

Sweet, so I'm introduced now?
This temporary tattoo has made me permanently cool!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:26 am UTC

nice avatar
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

gandhiroot

Postby gandhiroot » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Hey all, I'm Trevor.

I'm 22, from Pittsburgh, PA but currently a student in Rochester, NY, studying Computer Science.

The things I'm interested in are:
fitness & nutrition, raspberry tea, music, sushi, computational complexity, cats of any size, evolutionary biology, philosophy, and graph theory

See ya around!

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:42 am UTC

jeff_attack wrote:Here's a few things I'm into; (I'm not sure if that called for a semi-colon, but I jump at the chance to use one of those things)

-Eating animals

Sweet. "For every animal you don't eat, I'm gonna eat three." and all that.

And I do believe that the appropriate punctuation to use there is just a regular colon. I don't know my grammar well enough today to tell you what semi-colons are for.

(I'm gonna make a great English teacher someday, aren't I?)

~Sor
MOOP!

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Semicolons are God's own punctuation mark. They should be used whereever possible for an air of maximum erudition.

That one should have been a vanilla colon, though.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:10 am UTC

Copperhead wrote:Dave -1st year physics at UWaterloo Canada
I got an account because i wanted to post that there was a review of XKCD in the Student Newspaper- but i couldn't find where to post it. XKCD has been my homepage for about a year.... for some reason that sounds like i am admitting that i have a problem at an AA meeting.

Hey! I go to Wilfrid Laurier. Good to see the Waterloo contingents resurfacing.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 am UTC

i have a friend who's a TA at Wilfred Laurier! :) the LotR class...

the world gets smaller and smaller!! :D
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:51 am UTC

Gyuh, I tried *so* hard to get into the 'Tolkien and Fantasy' class this year. The damn thing filled up the *day* second years got access to register.

Grrr...
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:58 am UTC

that sucks!! :P
i'd have loved to tell Suse to look out for you!! :)
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

persephonester

Postby persephonester » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 am UTC

Hiya everybody!

I'm Lily, 20 years old, and I live and go to school in Boston for journalism. I know, liberal arts, please don't hate me. I don't particularly like math or science, but I love people who love math and science. It's kind of weird.

Anyway, I've been reading xkcd for a while, and then I found out about the meetup about three days before it happened. Luckily I lived superclose so I was able to go. It was one of the most fun things I've ever done. Weeee. Internet people.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Ketzerei wrote:Semicolons are God's own punctuation mark. They should be used whereever possible for an air of maximum erudition.

That one should have been a vanilla colon, though.

If you can replace a semicolon with a comma-conjunction compound, chances are the semicolon is technically correct; if you want to make a stop, but also want to indicate the two "sentences" are intimitely connected, semicolon's your punctuation mark. They are also used when making lists where the items contain commas within them.

I disagree about the vanilla colon. In truth, it should be a neapolitan colon, with the chocolate colon and strawberry colon parts thrown out.

gandhiroot wrote:The things I'm interested in are:
fitness & nutrition, raspberry tea, music, sushi, computational complexity, cats of any size, evolutionary biology, philosophy, and graph theory

I like how your avatar has both K_5 and K_{3,3} as subgraphs. Ever looked at graphs of n-dimensional cubes?
LOWA

Return to “General”