Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Whizzkid1024

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Monika wrote:Half Polish, half Flemish? So on average you're German? :D

How did you pick up dancing because of xkcd?

'Ich bin ein Magdenbürger' in that case ;), about the dancing thing. Someone was talking about it in the meatosphere and then the idea sparked 'maybe I should be able to do that too?'. After some posts and replies on this forum I got convinced to really go for it, thanks to the more progressive minds here. At the time it was a real bold step to take. Looking back it was the best decision of the last 3 years!

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Well I figured it's about time I stopped lurking and actually joined this forum. I have been popping into this forum periodically whenever a comic was posted that either intrigued me or confused me. However ever since the beginning of "time" I have been following the OTT and honestly I have considered creating an account many many times but I just never pulled the trigger. But I figured I have lurked enough and I will probably make my presence known over in the ott soon enough.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Welcome to the forum.

I am so excited that in the Time comic they have now met other people.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Yeah I think their interactions and conversations have really pulled me back into the story. I still can't believe I have been following this since March.

τππ

Postby τππ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Hi everyone, I'm new!!! *holds up spork*

My name is Katy but you can call me the Rabbit of Death :lol:. As you can see I'm very geeky! That's why I came here, to meet geeky people like me ^_^...

I'm 23 years old (I'm mature for my age tho!) I like to read xkcd with my girlfriend (I'm bi), it's our favorite web comic!! Because it's so geeky. She's geeky too of course but i want to meet more geeky people :) like they say the more the merrier! :lol:... anyways I hope to make a lot of friends here so give me lots of commentses!!!

RAPTORS BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ←—— me being geeky again ^_^ hehe... see ya!

love and waffles,

--Teh Rabbit Of Death

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Welcome to the fora Katy Rabbit of Death.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Hi geeky person! Enjoy yourself in this here geeky forum.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

τππ wrote:RAPTORS BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE?!?!?! :shock:

agh got me again.

mike-in-tacoma

Postby mike-in-tacoma » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Hi y'all. I'm Mike, male, 50-ish, living in the great Pacific North Wet. Snowboarder in winter, itinerant laborer the rest of the time. (Because these bills ain't gonna pay themselves, unfortunately.) I'm pretty good at training dogs due to having, as a favor, with my girlfriend of 15-ish to 20-ish years (depending on how it's counted), "fostered" a couple of Pit Bulls "just for a couple of weeks", who turned out to have Issues for which we were Unprepared. Six years, a 3' shelf of dog books, and seminars in three states later, those dogs are still with us, and I'm a helluva lot better prepared. (I will talk dog behavior and training with any interesting parties until the cows come home, or until I have to go to work or to sleep. Which is why I don't spend so much time on dog foreaux any more.) And I've been reading Stephenson's Baroque Cycle recently, which is why I've been feeling freer to indulge my Penchant for non-standard Capitalization.

My favorite non-fiction book is still, after all these years, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (for which the re-reading of I'm a little overdue), with Steal This Book and Reaching the Animal Mind tied for second. (But I haven't yet read Godel, Escher, Bach.)
I love fresh bread so much, that I occasionally bestir myself to bake some. I ought to do that more often.
My favorite text editor (so far) is Vim. I plan to use it in this year's NaNoWriMo.
If for some reason I have to use a Windoze box, I'll try to install NoteTab Lite on it.
I like chocolate. And cheese. And music.

I'm joining because I've been reading xkcd every now and then, and chuckling over them while at work (so, thanks, Randall Munroe, for that). Now that I'm done re-reading the Doonesbury online archive (except for the couple of years that are missing), I decided to read xkcd from the beginning. And I got up to #130, with the title text that mentions a forum link to footage of Julia Stiles' appearance on Ghostwriter. And so I've spent the past few hours finding the fora, and reading the comments in "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" instead of mowing the lawn. And it's nice to find a bunch of people like y'all. So, cheers!

cplns

Postby cplns » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Well, hey there, all you new people.

paigeannecarter

Postby paigeannecarter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:07 am UTC

Hi I'm Jannice. I am an online writer using the pen name of Paige Anne Carter.
I'm NOT addicted to writing :roll: , but since it's my job I have to do it daily :lol:
Currently, I've had a lot of paid assignments to write on Bitcoins and because of these I have started using bitcoins to earning it, mining and even getting it for free--but it's such a paltry sum.
Sometimes the topics that my employers ask of me are so in depth :roll: , that I have to join fora and scour it if not ask outright--but so far haven't found somebody who was able to help me. I hope that this forum will be different.
Cheers!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

paigeannecarter wrote:Hi I'm Jannice. I am an online writer using the pen name of Paige Anne Carter.
I'm NOT addicted to writing :roll: , but since it's my job I have to do it daily :lol:
Currently, I've had a lot of paid assignments to write on Bitcoins and because of these I have started using bitcoins to earning it, mining and even getting it for free--but it's such a paltry sum.
Sometimes the topics that my employers ask of me are so in depth :roll: , that I have to join fora and scour it if not ask outright--but so far haven't found somebody who was able to help me. I hope that this forum will be different.
Cheers!

welcome to the fora!

i can honestly say, the people here are a large, varied group of individuals, and i myself have learned much from them.

i think you will like it here.

paigeannecarter

Postby paigeannecarter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Thanks for the warm welcome Tomlidich! :D

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 am UTC

I never introduced myself on this thread. I guess I should. Hi, I'm Dark Avorian, a name I gave myself in the old days of Runescape. Now I do math. Lots and lots of math. Not meth, math. Anywho, love y'all's forum. Imma stay right here.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

paigeannecarter wrote:Hi I'm Jannice. I am an online writer using the pen name of Paige Anne Carter.
Cheers!

Hi Jannice!

Pretty much everyone here will give you an answer - of course, it might be truth, lies, outright lies, or statistics - you'll get AN answer, but maybe not THE answer :D
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote: THE answer :D

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:I never introduced myself on this thread. I guess I should. Hi, I'm Dark Avorian, a name I gave myself in the old days of Runescape. Now I do math. Lots and lots of math. Not meth, math. Anywho, love y'all's forum. Imma stay right here.

Hi Dark Avorian. I love math!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:I never introduced myself on this thread. I guess I should. Hi, I'm Dark Avorian, a name I gave myself in the old days of Runescape. Now I do math. Lots and lots of math. Not meth, math. Anywho, love y'all's forum. Imma stay right here.

MATH.

not even once.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:

MATH.

not even once.

Buying 40 watermelons and giving 29 away is not normal. But on math it is.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

November

Postby November » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Hello,
I am a people, I heard from one such people here on the forum that this is where other peoples meet to people, so here I am.
I am a Norwegian in London, I have a thing for mugs and I spend most of my day on twitter, I write words which are sometimes flash fiction, weird poetry or other such things.
Other interests includes knitting, starting 6 books at the same time, being stubborn in arguments and eating sushi.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Hi people! Have fun here.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 am UTC

November wrote:I have a thing for mugs

It's not just me! My wife has forbidden me to even look at coffee mugs when we go shopping :)
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Khloe

Postby Khloe » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

hey all
just a quick pop in to say hello, I'm Khloe by the way :) I'm 28 years old and from Canada
looking forward to chatting with all of you and contributing to some of the great discussions on here.
seeya
Khloe

Swyl

Postby Swyl » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:44 am UTC

Good day, friends. You can call me Swyl. I am a lovely bearded gentleman from Australia studying a diploma of science! Hurrah! I hope to have good times in these forums and am pleased to be a part of this community! See you around!

Queue

Postby Queue » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

To whom it may concern:

Thank you for letting me have use of your forum to write down my opinions for other people to read, in a format with which I am familiar (read: Facebook is new and scary, whereas and I'm old and scary).

I may even hope to find threads in which people argue about the follies and abuses of Agricultural science, so that I can feel less professionally mundane and more like someone whose job it is to THROW THE THIRD SWITCH!* ("Not the third switch?" "THROW IT, I SAY!").

Sincerely,

Queue

* Note: The third switch bestows life to inanimate organic tissue. Do not throw.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

so...

Have we joined the Queue, or has the Queue joined us?

Or is it this Q?

nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Queue

Postby Queue » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:so...

Or is it this Q?

I'm just old enough that when someone geeky says that "Q can transport the entire crew to another dimension", I sometimes inadvertantly wonder whether Desmond Llewelyn actually would have trusted Bond with anything like that.

Real answer: I love that word. It's the longest word I can think of that sounds like it could be just one letter.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Queue wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:so...

Or is it this Q?

I'm just old enough that when someone geeky says that "Q can transport the entire crew to another dimension", I sometimes inadvertantly wonder whether Desmond Llewelyn actually would have trusted Bond with anything like that.

Real answer: I love that word. It's the longest word I can think of that sounds like it could be just one letter.

Gah! I was going to ask if it was that Q next :D
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

also add:

welcome to the fora, Swyl, and Khloe.

Swyl wrote:. I am a lovely bearded gentleman from Australia studying a diploma of science!

you will have to show us this lovely beard sometime.

November

Postby November » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:
November wrote:I have a thing for mugs

It's not just me! My wife has forbidden me to even look at coffee mugs when we go shopping :)

I got a mug in the post from a friend a couple of weeks ago, it says "we need to talk about your mug problem" I love it so much...

November

Postby November » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Hi people! Have fun here.

Thank you ^_^

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

I don't think I've posted in this thread, yet, so I'll give it a go.

I'm 27 years old and currently live in Leiden, the Netherlands, doing a bit of studying, both the getting a degree and the actually doing some research kind, and teaching, next year mostly introductory statistics for the social sciences. My own academic interests mainly lie in the realm of cognitive neuroscience, such as the integration of perception and action; the interaction between continuous sensory input and cognitive processing; and the selection of actions plans by the desired results (i.e., desired perceptual feedback).

Besides that, I also like to ride my bike, to shoot arrows at a stramit wall with my recurve bow and to read a book or two (but no more than two).

I don't think I'm around that much as a participant in discussions as I only have access to my account on my private laptop and I'm not using it that much. As I'm easily distracted, I chose to use long, random character passwords for leisure accounts on websites stored only in a KeePassX database on my personal laptop, thus denying myself the fulfillment of the urge to spend hours on a discussion board while I should be spending it on a discussion section of a paper.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:Hey guys, I'm thefiddler, also known as Caitlin or Cait. I, obviously, play the violin. I'm a former general moderator who has not been legitimately active since 2009, or so.

I don't really know what else to say because I have a few intro posts all ready on the forums and if you're really that interested, I'm sure you can dig for them.

So, hi...?

You're back! When did you come back?

...didn't noc & I, with out powers combined, make that avatar for you?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Sebastiaan wrote:My own academic interests mainly lie in the realm of cognitive neuroscience, such as the integration of perception and action; the interaction between continuous sensory input and cognitive processing; and the selection of actions plans by the desired results (i.e., desired perceptual feedback).

That sounds interesting.

As I'm easily distracted, I chose to use long, random character passwords for leisure accounts on websites stored only in a KeePassX database on my personal laptop, thus denying myself the fulfillment of the urge to spend hours on a discussion board while I should be spending it on a discussion section of a paper.

I guess I should do that to get more work done.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Sebastiaan wrote: My own academic interests mainly lie in the realm of cognitive neuroscience, such as the integration of perception and action; the interaction between continuous sensory input and cognitive processing; and the selection of actions plans by the desired results (i.e., desired perceptual feedback).

i too, find this subject fascinating, i will have to research it a tad more.

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Monika wrote:That sounds interesting.

Tomlidich the second wrote:i too, find this subject fascinating, i will have to research it a tad more.

As you might have guessed, I think it's pretty interesting too. Another upside is that there's surprisingly little research on the topic, as action generation was a bit neglected in the "traditional" cognitive sciences. There has been a lot of research into what some call the "higher cognitive functions", like reasoning, intelligence, memory and the sorts, and some "lower functions", like the visuoperceptual system, but action generation, in most studies, was just "response selection" after all the interesting "stages" (a la Donders) were done. An interesting paper that explains all that much better than I can, is a paper of the German cognitive scientist Bernhard Hommel (2009), open access. In that paper, he describes a very general framework (Theory of Event Coding) for the interaction between action and perception.

wadavis

Postby wadavis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Hello, *looks around*
This looks like a fascinating room of strangers, do you mind if I grab a seat an linger for a while? I promise I won't cause a stir, I won't come in any cause a row in your house. Don't mind me if I just sit quiet, I am a lurker by nature.

Oh, you would like some conversation? Well what are your interests? You want to hear about me? Well I'm a engineer by trade... Yes, yes, I've heard the tired phrase 'I asked what you do, not where you work', but engineering is more than a job, it is a way of life, a state of mind. Oh my, that was a close one. I almost slipped into a rant. A terrible habit I pickup up in my Frat days, I'm working to fix that particular vice but it sure does have a way of sneaking up on me. My trade aside, I'm currently invested in Magic the Gathering, Pathfinder and Electric Skateboards.

That is enough for the afternoon, rest well and we will speak on the morrow.

Davis

Tasuja

Postby Tasuja » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

After lurking the xkcd fora for some days, I have decided that a longer stay might be a welcome influence to my life. I'm Tasuja, or Martin, an 18-year old starting my last year in an Estonian high school. My greatest interests lie in physics and mathemathics, although understanding of the latter has eluded me greatly(or at least I feel that way) so far. I consume my fair share of literature when not distracted by a shiny object. I hope to make contributions to the conversation and enjoy my stay for a long time. Thank you.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Welcome to the forums, wadavis and Tasuja! Beware of the doors to the left, one hears that there be raptors behind them.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

wadavis wrote: but engineering is more than a job, it is a way of life, a state of mind.

this is unsettlingly similar to something i wrote awhile back.

at any rate, welcome.

Return to “General”