Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scrambldmeggs

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby scrambldmeggs » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Hallo. I'm Meghan, I'm from the great state of New Jersey, and I'm a student at Cornell. I'm a huge xkcd fan and I've been lurking about here for a while but haven't gotten around to posting until now...

Gem

Postby Gem » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:15 am UTC

Hi. I'm Grace, I live in Perth, Western Australia. I'm 17. My TEE exams are this week. For those of you who don't know, they're the big final end of school exams that determine what course you get into at uni. eep! so yeah i have chem on friday :|

I've been lurking for a bit, but now i've joined. yay! more procrastination!
xo

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:03 am UTC

Snap! I'm Sacha, also from Perth, Western Australia. I eventually managed to snarf a PhD in maths and now work as a data architect at a mortgage aggregator. I'm married with three kids and don't usually get very much sleep. :o

whatswithhumans

Postby whatswithhumans » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:40 am UTC

hello,
name: matt
student at san jose state university studying mechanical engineering

love xkcd and exploring the interwebs...

xabram

Postby xabram » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:01 am UTC

Hey, my name is Max, I am a freshman at UC Davis, and have been an xkcd reader for about a year. I am also a beginning programmer, so I may ask around for some help.

Mrop

Postby Mrop » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:13 am UTC

Hello! My name is Jonas, I'm 18 years young and I live in Sweden. I'm an aspiring programmer, and will mainly use the Coding forum for asking stupid questions. Currently I'm taking a basic C++ course, but soon I will be attending a Java course.

Worotan

Postby Worotan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

hello, I've been idly reading and enjoying xkcd for a good while, now, so thought I would come to the forum. I've chalked up 35 years so far, and I work in a second hand bookshop in Manchester (England).

bod

Postby bod » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

I’m Beth, and I didn’t feel old until I read everyone else’s intros. Now I do.

Someone sent me a link to one of the web comics here, and I successfully wasted 93% of the ensuing 2 days reading the other 333, and then re-reading and forwarding my favourites. I then discovered these forums, and was drawn to the ‘language and linguistics’ one, being a bit of a pedant when it comes to my native tongue ;-) I’m also a librarian, but not *that* sort of librarian – I work for a library management software company. More like a cybrarian, really.

I once drove a tank, and I don't know how I would survive without post-it notes.

Very happy to make everyone's acquaintance :-)
'Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact' - George Eliot

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

"Cybrarian" is my new favorite word!
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

bod

Postby bod » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 pm UTC

Thanks, BB!

Wish I could take credit for inventing the word, but I can't. I read it somewhere :-)
'Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact' - George Eliot

Scilly_Guy

Postby Scilly_Guy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

My real name is Harry, Scilly Guy is a reference to where I am from, the Isles of Scilly in the extreme south-west of the UK. I am studying computer games software engineering at university in Newcastle, the extreme north-east of England. I am 21, in my final year of uni and I'm probably going to go home and become a fisherman next summer.

I love XKCD and have only just signed up to the forums as I had to post a link to this article in New Scientist.

TopRamen

Postby TopRamen » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

I'm J, a C.S. major at a Liberal Arts school who's about to graduate and is extremely aprehensive about the job market for underachievers. :D

I joined this forum because I love the combination of logic and humor the comic entails.

opsomath

Postby opsomath » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

I am 23, a grad student in materials chemistry, and I enjoy reading stories, the martial arts, and being outside in fall. I am married to a girl with curly hair.

I hope this is the correct sort of thing to put in the intro thread.

bagelfairy

Postby bagelfairy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

20, female, Undergrad at UCSB, and hmmmm, what else? IDK, that's about it.
Dry Ice: The Snowman-based comic. Updated 5x a week for your icy pleasure.

KookooDylan

Postby KookooDylan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

I have recently had some strange revelation existentail, whatever intellectual feelings lately and find i have trouble remembering stuff and spelling. I'm 17 years old and listen to CBC a lot. Also the Tim Tang Test is really cool. Anbyways I found that you're commic was really interesting and I saw it after somone else that I know put it up on facebook. :arrow: facebook rocks. as does the internet. Anyways if you wanna add me on facebook go right ahead i dont mind. Anyways I've been getting some psychological help to cope with the manicness. K bye.

also I might not come back to this for a while.

KookooDylan

Postby KookooDylan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

" ZEN IS IN!"

KookooDylan

Postby KookooDylan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

When I first decided to sign up the thing i had to type in was

44 SNL

I immediatly thought Saturday Night Live. The signifigance of 44 eludes me.

KookooDylan

Postby KookooDylan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

AUGHHH I CAN"T FIND MY POST! WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ORDER IS THIS IN :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

uselessuser

Postby uselessuser » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Greetings.

My name is Thomas, and my surname has an umlaut in it. I spend my days studying mathematical logic and want to become an inventor when I grow up. Oh, and I guess I won't do a lot of posting here, because I usually feel that I have not much to say, regardless of the topic. My psychologist is working on that issue, but until he has turned me into a spam bot, I will probably say things like "I guess this smiley here is used only rarely, it looks totally stupid: :x" in intro threads.

Yeah, whatever.

imMAW

Postby imMAW » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

I suppose it's time to introduce myself now. I'm a college sophomore, majoring in math and computer science. I love both my majors and reading (mostly scifi and fantasy).
edited because I'm free of high school.
Last edited by imMAW on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Nobody has really posted a respond to any of the more recent introductions, but what the hell, I'll throw mine on that pile.

I'm Andy, I've been using the alias "Shadic" sine I was like, 11. I lived in Olympia, Washington all my life, but I moved to Portland Oregon, for school, to attend Portland State University... Where I am currently a Freshman majoring in Computer Science.

I frequent a lot of other message boards, but I do really enjoy this comic, so hopefully I can remember to check this board as well. I have almost a chronic problem of forgetting message boards that I've registered at, there are too many of them. :|

jskyhawk

Postby jskyhawk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

This is Johnathan, I'm 25. out of boston ma

you-name-it engineer
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
-Douglas Adams

Pitot

Postby Pitot » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Hey, I'm James
I'm 18, and I'm studying at UF to be an engineer. I'm also a recovering 4chan addict.

dolan

Postby dolan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:25 am UTC

i'm 18 and i live in texas (don't judge though, we're not all southern baptist conservatives)

uhm, i enjoy photography and photoshop.
as well as reading, wakeboarding, and music.
next year i'm majoring in business at UNT

this feels like a personals ad, and for that i apologize.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:41 am UTC

dolan wrote:uhm, i enjoy photography and photoshop.

Try going analog first, it gives you a greater appreciation for Photoshop, and actually helps you conceive your ideas more concretely. Also, here is the $.02 that goes with this comment.

Ikaruga

Postby Ikaruga » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Hey all, my name's Scott. I'm an Adelaide University student studying computer science.

Disturbingly few interests to speak of really, anime, music, reading, making dumb videos. I'm no expert but I do enjoy Maths and find it more interesting than most people I know seem to. Happy to join this fine community.

zem

Postby zem » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:46 am UTC

Hello, I'm a fan of xkcd and recently discovered the forums. I'm only doing first year physics course and have come here seeking information to aide me with learning more about the subject and for help with assessments etc.

You all seem really nice and helpful and I look forward to interacting with you all!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:17 am UTC

Shadic wrote:Nobody has really posted a respond to any of the more recent introductions, but what the hell, I'll throw mine on that pile.

Do you expect someone to acknowledge *everyone* in this thread? It would be soooo long.

Anyway, hello everyone-who-recently-posted for the first time! And welcome to teh Fora. There are many awesome things here, if you know where to look, but watch out for the Pits of Doom, and mind the raptors.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:52 am UTC

I'm not a Raptor by the the way...
nope... no raptor here...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

Ikaruga wrote:Hey all, my name's Scott. I'm an Adelaide University student studying computer science.

Disturbingly few interests to speak of really, anime, music, reading, making dumb videos. I'm no expert but I do enjoy Maths and find it more interesting than most people I know seem to. Happy to join this fine community.

*adds to his ever growing list of Adelaide members*

Plague

Postby Plague » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

I'm Plague (pseudonym, duh), I'm a college student in Dallas, Texas. I'm currently a Chem major, though I'm considering other options. I'm now addicted to the Beatles, thanks to the movie Across the Universe.

I was introduced to xkcd by a friend, I now think it's one of the best webcomics out there. The nerdy themes make it esoteric and hilarious.

To my great surprise, I happened to notice one day that my favorite open art project, skares, had it's genesis among the xkcd folk. Intrigued, I opened the link to a thread on this forum, only to find a thousand other nerdy people like me.

Hello all you nerdy people out there!
I had something witty to put here last night, but I forgot because your mom.

Nami

Salutations.

Postby Nami » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

Erm, Hi there. This is always the hardest part for me, so I figure I might as well get it over with now...

I'm Nami.

I don't like to reveal a lot about my exact personal info, so I'll leave it vague: I'm 'From Florida' and 'Old Enough.'

I came across xkcd by being part of a certain 'Internet Hate Machine,' in which there is a cult following. I've actually been coming here for a while now, (about a year?) but never even noticed the Blag, or that there were active forums.

Professionally, I'm unemployed, (and I'm really good at it) but I remain a jack of all trades. I work under my father as a private investigator, (Detective for Hire) Program stuff, Write, Draw, Play Piano, and Sing.

I know that a lot of people claim to be able to sing when they just can't, so to back it up, here's a video of me singing for Disney. You know how when you go to Disney any time after Thanksgiving and see that giant choir and orchestra? Yeah, that's me.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0MnOB39x0

As I said, this is hard for me. I'm shy to a fault, often confused as antisocial (I plan on buying one of the shirts.) and never have any idea what to put in an introduction.

Anyways, that's all for now.
Later.
Destiny is challenging you, 'Obey me or defy me.'

Spoiler:
Sic Semper Tyrannis, Sic Transit Gloria Mundai.

Jazon

Postby Jazon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

Well, I'm Jazon. I'm 19, 20 in a month, and I draw my own webcomic, well, I mean I have a website for my comic, but I never ever update it out of apathy.

I was introduced by one of my friends to XKCD, and I have, in turn, introduced the rest of my friends to it.

I'm not a heavy forum poster, but I tend to register an account and lurk, occasionally posting whenever I find an interesting topic.

Retrograde Motion

Postby Retrograde Motion » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Dazey...at least that's what everyone on the interwebs calls me. I've been reading this comic for about a year and finally decided to see what the forums were all about. Looks like a fun place to be, and it's one of the few places that my work filter hasn't blocked yet - so I said hey, might be fun to surf around here with other cool nerds. I'm female, 27 and live in Connecticut. It would take me too long to list all the movies/music/tv/books that I like...so I'll just say that my apartment is covered in Beatles posters and I have a periodic table shower curtain.
"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people." ~ John Lennon

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: Salutations.

Postby Angelene » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Nami wrote:Erm, Hi there. This is always the hardest part for me, so I figure I might as well get it over with now...

I'm Nami.

I don't like to reveal a lot about my exact personal info, so I'll leave it vague: I'm 'From Florida' and 'Old Enough.'

I came across xkcd by being part of a certain 'Internet Hate Machine,' in which there is a cult following. I've actually been coming here for a while now, (about a year?) but never even noticed the Blag, or that there were active forums.

Professionally, I'm unemployed, (and I'm really good at it) but I remain a jack of all trades. I work under my father as a private investigator, (Detective for Hire) Program stuff, Write, Draw, Play Piano, and Sing.

I know that a lot of people claim to be able to sing when they just can't, so to back it up, here's a video of me singing for Disney. You know how when you go to Disney any time after Thanksgiving and see that giant choir and orchestra? Yeah, that's me.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZ0MnOB39x0

As I said, this is hard for me. I'm shy to a fault, often confused as antisocial (I plan on buying one of the shirts.) and never have any idea what to put in an introduction.

Anyways, that's all for now.
Later.

*ignores everything else* You're a private detective!!!!!!
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Lamil_Lerran

Postby Lamil_Lerran » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Hi. I'm a college student (math major), currently in Los Angeles, originally from Nebraska ... I lurk in the boards, and probably won't be posting much, but wanted to ask the math forum a question so I'm here to tell everyone I'm not a spam bot before I go do that.

SnArL

Postby SnArL » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

I'm SnArL. I'm almost 30 and live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas. I get paid to be a job scheduling monkey for a major financial institution which will remain nameless. In my spare time, I enjoy hanging out at the goth club, playing video games, and punching holes in pieces of paper from various distances. I have 6 piercings and 0 tattoos. I listen to angry, violent music and drive WAAAY too fast. I have a near photographic memory, and as such I will often spout off some random bit of pop-culture reference.

I really don't know what else to post here. Honestly.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
The it's fun and games with no depth perception!

ST47

Postby ST47 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Hey. Dan from Northeast USA, seemingly young by these standards, high school junior. Bit of a math geek, and by that I mean that I read math books for fun - is that at all strange? Anyway, I decided to *finally* register on the forums, no idea what to say here.

vovk

Postby vovk » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Yo! vovk here

I love xkcd and I'm glad that there is a thriving community around it

anyway... cya around :)

kristjansson

Postby kristjansson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

Sup. I'm Drew, 16 years old, Junior in high school, I live in in Seattle (best city in the world). I'm a closet math geek, but I really can't hold a candle to anyone on this board :(.

Return to “General”