Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

T-Prime

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby T-Prime » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:48 am UTC

Aloha everyone, the name is Tommy, yielding from a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.

I'm 22 years old, previously going to school for mechanical engineering, but recently changed majors to media communication and broadcasting. I'm a pretty big nerd, I work two retail jobs, one for a certain video game retail store that everyone loves to hate, and for an old-school department store, in the electronics department (I'm in ur store, sellin HDTVz).

I'm a slighlty-above-casual-gamer but not quite a hardcore-gamer type; primarily an Xbox 360 gamer. I do occasionally dabble in playing a game of Munchkin with my friends if the mood strikes.

And I drink beer. It's tasty.

Edit: Also, here's a picture of me, on the left. I figure a fair amount of users here will know my company:

kaztiyo

Postby kaztiyo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:54 am UTC

T-Prime wrote:Aloha everyone, the name is Tommy, yielding from a suburb of Detroit, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.

I'm 22 years old, previously going to school for mechanical engineering, but recently changed majors to media communication and broadcasting. I'm a pretty big nerd, I work two retail jobs, one for a certain video game retail store that everyone loves to hate, and for an old-school department store, in the electronics department (I'm in ur store, sellin HDTVz).

I'm a slighlty-above-casual-gamer but not quite a hardcore-gamer type; primarily an Xbox 360 gamer. I do occasionally dabble in playing a game of Munchkin with my friends if the mood strikes.

And I drink beer. It's tasty.

Edit: Also, here's a picture of me, on the left. I figure a fair amount of users here will know my company:

i dunno her
Image Image Image

T-Prime

Postby T-Prime » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 am UTC

Maybe I'm just a TechTV/podcasting nerd then :)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Hi all. Not too good at introductions, me; I'm more of a lurk-and-occasionally-post-a-bit-but-hope-nobody-notices type :P But here goes...

Food nerd, Melbourne, Australia, IT professional but not computer nerd (much). Fond of beer, whisky, cocktails, cooking with great fresh ingredients, trying every new food I can get my hands on (last night, sweetbreads - Oh me yarm delicious, similar to brains and liver, but closer to brains), logic puzzles, word puzzles, books, motorcycles, the stock market, quiz shows/trivia and various odd-but-usually-short-lived interests. Fan-of-xkcd presumably goes without saying. Female (apparently, bloke-with-tits really), mid-30's, engaged. Grew up on farm, moved to city, gained subsequently un-used qualifications in Chemistry and Japanese, got diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome aged 34 (ya, mild case). Currently renovating first home, recovering from minor foot surgery and wondering if the new boss will replace me with a consultant. Ambitions - to retire young, raise/grow own food, brew own beer, make charcuterie at home, travel to places that have good food (yes, there's a pattern here). Short-term goals - learn something career-transitional, get my lazy arse fit, actually start planning the damn wedding (everyone we know has wedding-lust; for us it's about the marriage), get the reno finished.

I daresay I've left out obvious stuff and probably added superfluous stuff, but at least it's a post ;)

Andrew_W

Postby Andrew_W » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 am UTC

shodan_lee wrote:My name is (deleted) and I'm currently 24 (born 1983) and living in Tulsa, OK. Was a computerstuff college student, but got burnt out. Now will probably study something artsy or creative when I go back.

I act at the local Renn Fest. I am a second degree black belt currently shopping around for a new dojo after moving to Tulsa. I enjoy recreational computer geekery and webcomics. Also psychology and philosiphy. Oh, and video games!

I am also not a bot. No, really.

Tulsa?! no way! I'm in Bartlesville :D

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:35 am UTC

I first found this webcomic through a friend's aim profile, but I seem to keep coming back here.

Every time I do I get lost reading comics for quite a while, I really love the style that goes into them, but tonight I just read a few that show the author's affinity for Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, two books that changed my mind and life.

Uh, if anyone is gonna read this and care, I write, and am starting to get into digital arts with movie production and I've begun dabbling in basic web coding. Been a hardened internet scavenger for a while because technology fascinates me, I'm pretty well in on my internet memes and important stories.

My best strange talent is trolling. I play a lot of video games and watch a lot of movies. I like drugs but do not think they are for everyone, in fact most people who self-medicate should not.

I'm 20 and a junior in college. If anyone sees Chris Galardi, tell him I said :shakes fist furiously:
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

fujimokou

Postby fujimokou » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Well I suppose I'm suppose to introduce my self here.
I was led here due to my obsession over GOTO stamens(don't ask), Actually a year after I stooped using them but I guess it made my friend think of me. He showed my the GOTO comic here and id made me laff quite hard.... and then cry as I had suppressed memory... I had to go through a lot of surgery and rehab after thos raptor attacks. So i used the experance as my collage essay... I hope it get's me into some where.

I'm 18 and am in my 4th year of comp prog. I'm quite an otaku how ever, so when I'm not coding for school I'm attempting to make dojin soft(or watching anime I suppose). I play go and d&d quite often as well... o the recursion jokes i get every time the party walks into a bar. I'm not a big fan of recursion... but i does make pritty shapes... but its evil!

im dyslexic and every post is spell checked.... but that can only do so mutch...

not to test if these forum handil 日本語。(Nice...)

I don't think the Font colour will compile...

jamanjaman

howdy

Postby jamanjaman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:53 am UTC

[edit] okay whoops

that's it, i'll be reading the rules from now on.

*wave of embarrassment*

i'm now half-drunk and 18 years and a day old :) happy friday everybody!
Last edited by jamanjaman on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:55 am UTC

T-Prime:You are officially super-awesome.

Except that you dropped ME, that's not so hot.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

gtkarber

Postby gtkarber » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:20 am UTC

I never introduced myself earlier, but here I am.

I'm me.

I'm a college student and I want to be a writer. Nice to meet everybody!!

Tuuli

Postby Tuuli » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Heyas,
Been lurking for a few months, and finally had to register when I saw the Networks comic. I'm a little bit obsessed with xkcd and ReBoot (just a little bit), and I hope I wasn't the only one who saw ReBoot in that comic. I love music, hockey, science, computers and saving the environment. I'm a university kid. Purple is an amazing colour. People should do more creative things with their Kraft Dinner - I'm sure it's excellent with refried beans thrown in.

-Tuuli

Daemienwrath

Postby Daemienwrath » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:47 am UTC

Daemien spend too much time in alternate realities making clay elephants

Olivaise

Postby Olivaise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:29 am UTC

Hi, I'm Olivaise!
Last edited by Olivaise on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

matthijsje

Postby matthijsje » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:17 am UTC

hey, My name is matthijs, I'm 20 years old, and i live in Holland.
I study electrical engineering in Breda, I'll be doing my masters in Eindhoven soon.
I'm a crappy programmer in java, c and python
I have a triple boot-laptop (xp, vista and pclinuxos) and a dual boot pc (xp and ubuntu) and i've watched xkcd on all five running os's

anything else?
nope.

pmrpi

Postby pmrpi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:18 am UTC

Hello there.

I am from Portugal, informatics and computer engineer student... and I need to take some sleep. :|

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:50 am UTC

Well, hello, there! I'm Kirk.

I'm 21, and have a tendency to live inside my skull (I'm not... anti-social, but I think the term "extra-social" might describe me most often; it's a question of importance :P). I've studied z'maths and a little of most sciences in college so far.

I really seem to be interested in most things. I've made this forum account because the discussions I've found here in the past few days have been among the most unique, reasonable, interesting, prudent, and creative I've ever seen, and I want to take part in the fun.

;)
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

pointfivenine

Postby pointfivenine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Pete.

22, Live in the frozen wasteland of Alaska, Play Magic the Gathering, Build computers when I have enough money, wish I knew how to code.

I work in foodservice. :oops:
What?

Olivaise

Postby Olivaise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

pointfivenine wrote:Hi, I'm Pete.

I work in foodservice. :oops:

At least you can say that you've a job unlike many other US citizens. :wink:

ZeusTKP

Postby ZeusTKP » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Nik

24 y/o programmer

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

that is all

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

Hello, I'm Red1. I'm a 402 year-old Brit, living in Scotland. I "found" xkcd about a year ago and have been chortling inwardly to myself ever since3. I like death metal4, embroidery5 and walking in the hills around my home city6. That's about it for now I think.

/waves

Notes
__________________________________________________________________________________________
1: On the inside.
2: Aargh! An old person on the net!
3: Well, when I say ever since, I mean chortling momentarily at the comics here, when I read them.
4: Not really.
5: Ditto. Although it is really quite cool how people can invest so much time in something they enjoy doing.
6: OK. That one's true.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

zylle

Postby zylle » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

just sayin hi first cause the rules told me to, and i am nothing if not obedient and responsive to authority!

aarestad

Postby aarestad » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

Hi. I'm Peter. I'm not a spambot. I work for Orbitz Worldwide. I'm a nice guy. :)

synaesthetist

Postby synaesthetist » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

sorry i didn't post here first! don't eat me!

to be fair, from years of being on the internet i've learned to not read anything that's written entirely in CAPS because it's generally (in my mind) spam by 14 year old girls. 14 year old girls ruin everything.

anyway, my handle is synaesthetist, i'm a 22 year old female currently residing in w. mass who still considers boston to be her home. i'm one of those geeky/artsy kids who thought that they were entirely unique in high school only to learn upon entering college that there's a ton of us. this seems to be the place where said kids hang out, so now i'm looking forward to learning that i'm even more commonplace than i originally thought.

so hi! and yay for jobs where you can spend most of your time on internet forums!

archeress

Postby archeress » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

hi! I have been reading the comic for about a year and I love it. Went to UCLA and got a degree in Computer Science with a math minor and another in Geology. So obviously I teach Archery and compete for a living. I am also getting a Masters in Kinesilogy but I miss programming and math (women cannot live on stats alone). I live in Orange County, California with my two great Danes. Lastly, I hope I am more interesting than I sound.

Jumbalaya

Postby Jumbalaya » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Hello, I have been reading for a little bit( maybe 8 months?) Never looked at the forums until just last week, been reading through them, and decided to sign up today. I am 18 and I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I am also addicted to the lovely game of World of Warcraft! (But I also have a life!)

poppaman2

Hello all...

Postby poppaman2 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

first post - been lurking for a few days looking at the comics. I'm ancient (50+). I actually work on a Help Desk. Don't ask me any questions..........

poppaman2

LatwPIAT

Postby LatwPIAT » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

Hello.

I'm LatwPIAT. It can't be pronounced; it's a contradiction. Like xkcd, it's not meant for normal pronounciation, but it can be done. For those particulary interested, it stands for "Light Anti Tank Weapon, Projector Infantry Anti Tank." a British anti tank weapon from WWII.

I'm interesten in the Math and Science boards here (the comic is a good bonus) and I like the post apocalypse.

Llama!

SnowDragon

Postby SnowDragon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

This is my quick intro.
Hi, I'm SnowDragon and I'm in third year of earth science. I also spend way too much time at university but when I manage to escape campus I head to the outdoors. I enjoy cross country skiing, hiking, cycling and boring my companions with all sorts of interesting knowledge about earth science, hopefully while doing those outdoor pursuits.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Bassoon, and I play likewise.

I read the comic and like it, and will be known to drift from Science to Mathematics to Linguistics because I am prone to enjoy such topics. I've taken to shouting out xkcd comic lines at people to get WTF reactions. Oh, the joy.

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:03 am UTC

Hi, my name's Yawgmoth, and I'm an alcoholic I read xkcd. I'm 23, I live in the great frozen north of Michigan, where I'm a psychology student. I play WoW, Magic, all manner of tabletop RPGs, and still manage to have enough of a life to get laid every now and then. I also drink vodka like it's water.

N.K.

Postby N.K. » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 am UTC

Well, hi people, I'm N.K. and I like xkcd.

I got linked here by some guy on a spriting forum.

I like spriting, doodling, and eating.

And I have rather.... strong beliefs.

imatrendytotebag

Postby imatrendytotebag » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:06 am UTC

Heysup, I'm.. a trendy tote bag and I love math. I think I really fell in love with this comic when I read the "my hobby" strip about the ass-car and was all "hey I totally do that too!"

I also have a special place in my heart for the vanilla ice related comics.
Hey baby, I'm proving love at nth sight by induction and you're my base case.

jepleure

Postby jepleure » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 am UTC

Hi. My name is jepleure, I'm 21, and I live in a...hovel...of a town in Texas.
I discovered xkcd from a friend showing me some of the comics one day, and even though some of the math humor went over my head (I had him explain it to me), I absolutely love the comics.
I work retail--three years today at the same job, whoopty-doo :roll:--and I'm feverishly working towards completing a novel (though I'm maybe a forth of the way along in that endeavor--and that's just writing), which I'd like to see published someday.

Oh, and I eat spambots for breakfast. :P
Small dancing tuna on my head oh my

Redem

Postby Redem » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:48 am UTC

My name's Kevin, I'm 25yo, from Northern Ireland and really hate introduction threads. *sigh*

Anyway, Hi :D

Info, hmm. I'm into science and politics and religion and computers and a thousand other things I have far less knowledge of. It keeps my mind occupied. I've been reading xkcd for... ages. Many, many months, though I've never paid any attention to the forums before.

I'll probably just be a lurker for a while, until I start to learn a bit about the people here and relax some.

I look forward to seeing you all out there :)

UnderGradX

Postby UnderGradX » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am UTC

Hi, My names Frank, I've been lurking the forums for about a month. Seeing as I have never joined or been a part of forums before(out side of school [I guess the former statement implies the latter]) I was a little nervous about signing up. I have signed up(clearly) but may be a little slow to post as I get used to the environment.

jamanjaman

Postby jamanjaman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

hi, im jman [again]. posted here couplea days ago but i didn't read the rules so *gulp*. :oops:

anyway i've just turned 18 and i'm coping with the fact that life doesn't always turn out the way you want it to be. or that the world doesn't give a flying fuck if you take a fall, so it's entirely up to you to stand up again. haha anyway by tomorrow i'll prolly have sobered [and cheered] up so yeah.

i'm a second year math major and i'm currently taking some units in western lit. hopefully to improve on my small talk skills :P

because i've reached 10 posts i can [legally] post a link to my site:

http://www.talkingfruits.blogspot.com/

check it out it's some lil comic i did inspired by all the great stuff posted in the web. :)

anyway gotta sleep so i'll see you around sometime :) when my mind isn't swirling down the toilet

cheers

Thank you; you are now officially not a spam bot. :D
TheTankengine

enk

Postby enk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

Hi!

I'm one of the badguys too, as this isn't my first post :oops: :)

I live in Denmark and I'm 21 years old. I've been studying electrical engineering, but will be switching to software engineering this february.

Some of the xkcd strips I find kind of boring, but then again some are simply brilliant and I've got some of those taped to my door at the college.

This post was composed in gvim through mozex to Firefox on Windows XP on my 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 desktop.

I also run Ubuntu on my laptop, but I find it's not yet good enough to replace Windows.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

TemperedMartensite

Postby TemperedMartensite » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Hey

So seeing as this is the 3rd thread this is my 3rd post.

I'm a materials/metallurgical/mineral-processing engineering student. My main fields of study are thermodynamics (classical at the moment, statistical and surface later) including kinetics, materials processing, geology, geostatistics, materials characterization, metallurgy, mineral processing, etc

I've read all of the comics and liked most of them. Good times...They appeal to my inner nerd.

Also tempered martensite is annealed steel that was quenched into water (or a similar substance) to cause the molecular structure of steel to rearrange at the speed of sound creating the strongest (non-nano) steel out there. Well basically.

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

im not a genius, but i can follow some of the conversations.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

llamapalooza
ambiguous antecedents

Postby llamapalooza » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 pm UTC

Ummmmmm.......hi?

I'm a high school Junior. I enjoy the maths, even if IB Mathematics is the slowest class e v e r. How can you spend a month on Induction?! But I digress...

I like Nintendo a lot, I guess. Grew up on the stuff, and waited in line in 20˚F weather for it.

I use a Mac. I would like to use Linux as well but I'm lazy.

There, that enough personal info for you? Go ahead, stalk me.
Last edited by llamapalooza on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”