Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

daemonbarber

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby daemonbarber » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Howdy!

... I hate intro threads.

Going to go post something constructive now...

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

I hate them alot too, blah.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Aven

Postby Aven » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

This thread is really long...I could never read it all.

I'm Aven, I like physics, math, computer science, art, and design.

Yeah I'm one of those freaks who love both art AND science, I am not really into Bio though.

I don't label myself except for what I am called, I also speak Spanish and believe monkiis will take over the planet. I am an INTP with a fair bit of J, a Taurus/Gemini cusp and I believe astrology is a bunch of crapz0rs but I still look into it cause it's fun to categorize people.
That being said I hate Scorpios, stay away from me, I swear they have ruined my life.

:mrgreen:

Chooks rule <3.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

I'm Diemo, I like Math, and Physics, and XKCD :D.

Eck, I'll get to know the activce people. I couldn't read 56 pages.

I also do Aikido and play board games...
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:27 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Hey-o (you don't really need to listen what I say-o). I'm aion7. The only capital in my name is the seven. I dislike giving much information about myself away online, but I'll say what I can. I'm a teenage boy who lives in the United States of America. I'm quite liberal, and my choice for presidential nominee would be Kucinich, if he had any chance of winning. I joined because XKCD is one of my favorite webcomics (I check over thirty daily, or close). My I am a self defined gamer and nerd. I also know a bit about music.

We had a lot of fun with Jesse as our governator. He was more than a bit libertarian, but also progressive. He broke a lot of molds. I can imagine Kucinich being similarly wacky, although in a more "liberal" way. It'd be fun. Oh, and I am totally for the cabinet-level Peace Department.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

Nullcline wrote:I believe I've done this before, but it's been a few months. I forgot about this comic sometime in May. It's actually been great, because I was able to go on an xkcd binge this morning. Good stuff.
I'm an '82 model Alabamian male. I'm an internet toughguy, but I'm scared of my computer. I also drink, smoke, and prove heavily. My favorite color and flavor of Gatorade is blue, I speak English fluently, and I once owned a calculator which(although it was flawless otherwise) thought that 9x8=96.

Clearly an inferior model. A worthy calculator (with a similar malfunction) would have thought that 9 8 x = 96.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Ulairion

Postby Ulairion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

Hello. My name is Julian, I'm 17 years old, and I'm from Argentina. I live in my house, I eat food, and the sun burns me. (?)

I can't remember how I discovered xkcd (probably SU, not sure), but I find it to be one of the greatest thing ever on the Interwebs, even though some comics are beyond my knowledge (or maybe because of that)

I like videogames (MGS fanboy), comics, music, and I love reading anything including Tolkien, Sci-fi, philosophy, novels, history books, graphic novels, etc, etc, etc. I also play the guitar and have some short stories written (altough I'm not good at either of them :roll:) Next year I'll be studying Psychology.}

Well, that's about it, see you on the dark side of the moon

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

thoughtfully wrote:Clearly an inferior model. A worthy calculator (with a similar malfunction) would have thought that 9 8 x = 96.

You're one of those motherfuckers who thinks that LinkedLists or Stacks are better to use than ArrayLists.

You can stop writing machine code now =P
I recommend filling soccer balls with napalm. Napalm is nature's toothpaste.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 am UTC

dataxpress wrote:
thoughtfully wrote:Clearly an inferior model. A worthy calculator (with a similar malfunction) would have thought that 9 8 x = 96.

You're one of those motherfuckers who thinks that LinkedLists or Stacks are better to use than ArrayLists.

Meant you to say Forth.

Damn, english actually works in postfix notation. If you enjoy sounding like Yoda. With you The Force may be!
Heh, more or less, anyway.

It's all fun and games until somebody overflows a stack :)

Honfclibur

Postby Honfclibur » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 am UTC

Hello there! I'm a high school senior from MA, been lurking here for a while (reading the puzzles). And yeah. Here I am posting.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Hey I'm Truman. Don't use my real name. I'm only 13, but I promise that I won't do anything too stupid.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Don Quioxte

Postby Don Quioxte » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:04 am UTC

I'm a long-time lurker. Math/physics/chemistry nerd, photographer, musician, and all-around renaissance man. Pretty much.

I want to build a zeppelin if I ever become fabulously wealthy.

pKp

Postby pKp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:52 am UTC

melodyj wrote:hi, I'm Melody, 23, oceanographer with the Navy, wannabe-physicist/computer scientist...and yes, I'm a girl! seems we're a little under-represented on here.

Wow. What would you call IRC, then ? There's PLENTY of girls here. And that's thanks to Joanna. Who is hot.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Zoris

Postby Zoris » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:32 am UTC

Hello, I am a high-school freshman in Texas, and I am trying to get into college next year. I've always been interested in math, science, theater, debate, photography, linguistics, and more. I'm a big nerd; I've built three 64-bit computers and enjoy video-games. I play the viola (for 5 years now). I used to play the piano (for 4 years). I'm learning Chinese and Spanish. My political views are pretty moderate, but slightly liberal. I don't know who I would vote for for president, seeing as I can't vote yet, I just haven't bothered to do any research.

I heard about xkcd about two years ago, I think from the ZBB (if any of you know about it... I've noticed a few members from there here, like soap and dingbats).

Anyways, I've always enjoyed the offbeat humor of xkcd. (also Monty Python, H2G2, etc.)

So yeah, that's me.

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:38 am UTC

It just now occured to me that I never actually posted here long ago when I registered.

In any case, hello! I am Ryan Carpenter, known online as Brineshrimp. I am from Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX and I'm 18 years old, male, a sophomore in college studying for an honors associates degree in the liberal arts with a particular interest in music and philosophy. I am equally nerdy as I am romantic and my favorite two passtimes are jamming and gaming. Oh, and I'm in lurve with an Aggie.
Last edited by Brineshrimp on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cramped Crustaceans need love too.

jeffk

Postby jeffk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:48 am UTC

Um...intro. Right.

My name's Jeff--married, three kids, two cats ("KITTIES!"), and one dog. Mixed marriage--I'm a geek, my wife isn't :)

I printed the "You're a kitty" strip for our cat-fanatical daughter, and she promptly pinned it to her wall.

bsev1932

Postby bsev1932 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 am UTC

My name is Bill. I grew up in Ohio, but now reside in HRC's hometown. I'll be 50 next summer. I found xkcd from a link on an engadget post. I love to learn and on this site there is a lot to love. I am no genius, just an inquisitive trial lawyer, so I will probably just lurk quietly over here in the corner and try to figure out what the hell the rest of you are talking about.

I am a proud parent. My daughter is 11. She is beautiful, but doesn't realize it yet. She is smart and sweet, and is a natural-born leader, but doesn't realize that yet, either. My son is 9. He loves science, math and soccer. He questions the existence of God, but he still believes in Santa Claus. He does not believe in the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, but attends CCD each week because his mother asked him to. He has confided in me that he hopes there is an afterlife so he can spend eternity with his mother, his sister and me. (I know, I know. I am enjoying it while it lasts! He'll be a teenager soon enough.) They are both great kids. When they are a little older, I will introduce them to this site. I think they will enjoy it.

g33kyb3cky

Postby g33kyb3cky » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am UTC

Hello... I'm g33kyb3cky and I'm a longtime lurker of the xkcd forums. I'm a junior in college with a major in Network Modeling and Simulation. I love horses, computers, and playing Lord of the Rings Online. I thought I should make a profile after hanging around here so much but I am pretty shy, even on the internets (so I probably won't post much).

tsears

Postby tsears » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Hi,

I'm Tom.

I've lurked about for a couple months. I was referred to the comic some months ago and have been addicted ever since. As a result, most of the time I have to be careful about which classes I open my laptop in, because if note-taking isn't strictly necessary, I'll sit in the back of the room as I laugh (more accurately, try not to) at the comics.

As can probably be inferred from the above, I'm a student. Specifically, I'm an undergrad in Computer Science at Oregon State University (for about 6 more months).

Also, I am not a bot (I promise I'm not lying)

dataxpress

Postby dataxpress » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:28 am UTC

thoughtfully wrote:
dataxpress wrote:

Meant you to say Forth.

Damn, english actually works in postfix notation. If you enjoy sounding like Yoda. With you The Force may be!
Heh, more or less, anyway.

It's all fun and games until somebody overflows a stack :)

you mean

Meant you Forth to say

(etc etc verb)

3 3 4 5 6 + + * / = 6 20 6 + /

worst notation ever. god damn. i don't see any real language-side advantage to trying to use that
I recommend filling soccer balls with napalm. Napalm is nature's toothpaste.

Decius

Postby Decius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:45 am UTC

Registered to post to the Far Away discussion thread. 31 years old as of this date, midwest United States. Network system administrator at a large university. Mobile technology enthusiast. I humbly admit to the forum faux pas of not reading this entire thread before posting. :-)

acydlord

Postby acydlord » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

Ahoy, I'm acydlord and I really don't know why I haven't registered for the forums before now. Something to do with procrastination and laziness perhaps. I'm 25 and from Arizona, big time geek and such.

pneumeric

Postby pneumeric » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

Hi!

I'm the very model of a modern major general!
Or Pete

I do stuff on computers, sometimes I even get paid for it!
I probably live on the other side of the world from you
I like it here, it's nice!

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm Cody Hotel, from Gimli Manitoba, Canada

I'm in grade 12 currently petitioning to get us a calculus class in school, and since it isn't going well I'm trying to teach myself.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

Aven wrote:This thread is really long...I could never read it all.

I'm Aven, I like physics, math, computer science, art, and design.

Yeah I'm one of those freaks who love both art AND science, I am not really into Bio though.

I don't label myself except for what I am called, I also speak Spanish and believe monkiis will take over the planet. I am an INTP with a fair bit of J, a Taurus/Gemini cusp and I believe astrology is a bunch of crapz0rs but I still look into it cause it's fun to categorize people.
That being said I hate Scorpios, stay away from me, I swear they have ruined my life.

:mrgreen:

Chooks rule <3.

wow......... true for me cept for science. just the art and science part.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

Hi my name is Phil. I read all the xkcd comics last night. How the hell did I miss this before?! Ironically, I've actually seen a couple of the comics before, but attributed them as individual works and never made the connection. My friend finally sent me links to about 20 comics, then i went back to the beginning and just kept clicking next, only breaking for Heroes. I'd just like to say, this is not only the best webcomic, but actually the best website I've ever visited. For those who are curious, bash.org was the previous record holder. Randall Munroe is as a god to me.
I'm 19, currently attending West Chester University (shitty state school near Philadelphia) and studying computer science. Which begs the question, "Why did I go to a shitty state school for comp sci?" Well, the answer is, I don't really know. I think there was something about it being cheap, but I can't really remember now. Especially since we learned in lit what a protagonist is a few weeks ago. I will be transferring somewhere better, Carnegie-Mellon hopefully, maybe RIT, next fall. My point is, state schools suck. Don't go unless you're dumb.
By the clever wordplay and adroit puns that seem systemic on this site, I can see that many of you are a good deal smarter than me (specifically, Randall Munroe). I hope to one day be as smart as you and understand all of what you say (batting about .89 right now).
I play Halo 3 (Don't follow my example, only assholes play Halo, because it turns you into one. It's kinda like a lycanthropic game in that regard. Or, insert vampiric, if you prefer.) watch too much tv, and read more than I actually have time for ("Shit, work started a half an hour ago, but the chapter's almost over....).
This got a lot longer than I intended. See you guys around the forum.
Minerva wrote:There's no such thing as "renewable energy". That's the second law of thermodynamics.

Luminary

Postby Luminary » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

Hello my name is Blair Stewart. I am currently on my first year working towards my Bachelor of Science Honour's Degree, majoring in Computer science and minoring in entrepreneurship.
I am a proud Canadian, I live in the middle of Saskatchewan, which for any one who dosn't know its just north of Montana and North-Dakota.

Hmm, I read the whole strip in the last two nights i had a sudden impulse to find a new webcomic becuse the ones that I regular:
Least I could do
Order of the Stick
Looking for Group; and
Ctrl-Alt-Del

had no new content that night, this was the first thing that came up on a webcomic search for google, I read the first three posts and was hooked.

I am a gamer who dosnt have time to game which makes me a little bonkers some times, I run a website design company with my father and I like average length walks on grass.. in the park ;)

anyways thats a bit about me. Ill shut up now and tour the rest of this (bord'a'ma'thing'y)

idiot glee

Postby idiot glee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Hello all. I am idiot glee. I'm 19, an Archaeology major, a decent cook, and a long time XKCD reader. I write lousy poetry and stories, and play guitar. Politically I'm left, psychologically I'm INTP, physically I'm under 150 pounds, vertically I'm 5' 7", and genetically I'm blonde and green eyed.
Hello!

Met

Postby Met » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

Evening all, I'm James, although at work call me "Met" as it's my job. I'm a weather forecaster working with the air force in Scotland.
Interested in maths and physics (did a physics degree in Wales), also many things. In my spare time (so when I'm not surfing at work) I like messing around in the mountains, walking, climbing, biking, driving; all that sort of thing.
I'm hoping to manage to post an incisive comment on a thread, but it may take me a while to do that.
"Things that look like things often look more like things than things, well known fact!"

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:23 pm UTC

Heya,

I am Hurduser and as you can already hear, I'm into alternative OSes (especially HURD, though my main system uses Linux, Gentoo of course). I am 25 years old and I live in old Europe (incidentally in a city which US-Americans pronounce like HURD). I'm part of the female minority here :)

Politically, I am member of the local pirate party, philosophically materialist and humanist and spiritually, I belong to the Church of Emacs.
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Webzter

Postby Webzter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Ben. I'm a programmer in Minneapolis, MN. Married, 1 dog, no kids. My wife is a DBA, which generally means we don't argue about the same things most married couples do. Some couples argue over money or who gets to cook, we argue over database normalization and data access methods.

When I'm not programming at work, I'm programming at home on freelance work, my own projects, or just to learn (currently playing with Django/Python and loving both the framework and the language!). If I'm feeling artistic, I'll grab my camera and go pretend that I know how to take pictures.

I found xkcd a few months ago and quickly got to work catching up on everything.

anyway, that's my introduction and I'm sticking to it!

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Sir Elderberry, been lurking for a few weeks now and felt like posting.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Hectamatatortron

Postby Hectamatatortron » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

I've been lurking quite a bit myself. I usually go by "Zeld" on forums, but I thought I'd stick with this odd new screen name for a while. I'd rather you didn't ask what it means, because I'd rather keep my typing fingers' energy at a reasonable level (as opposed to winded and weathered from typing a long explanation).

I'm not exactly fond of intro threads, either. "I'm off to post something constructive" - this attitude is more suited for me, as well. Here, though, there's not a whole lot I can contribute; the community is intimidatingly filled with intelligent and humorous people already (great for me, not great for anyone expecting me to meet the standard >.>'').

I suppose I'm still going to try, though. I'm nice and dorky like that.

Apparently "a/s/l, lol!" is a "good place to start", so:

- I'm a man. A straight one. Don't be fooled by all the lies other people are going to come up with about me (they will, too, I've seen it)

- I'm about to be 19 in 16 days. Assuming I survive my finals this semester.

- I might be in Texas somewhere. Possibly.

Perhaps.

Oh, this post is so ridiculous~

*skips away*

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

Hello,

I'm going to stay just Dream for the moment, until I work out whether I'll reveal personal information or not. I'm not secretive, just prudent. I'm a mid 20's male who lives within very loud shouting distance of the North Sea, in a place that speaks English, but didn't always.

I may be prudent, but I am friendly, and I'm registering here because of the bizarre, rare ability of forum users here to actually think about what someone else posted. Hats off everyone, it's not common...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

slarti

Postby slarti » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 am UTC

Hi there,

name's slarti (not my real name, which I kinda hate) I'm 22, live in Germany and I am a student of Computer Science.

My friends call me strange, I have been called a cynic by more than one person, and XKCD will ruin that of my life that a combination of tabbed browsing and Wikipedia have left.

Hectamatatortron

Postby Hectamatatortron » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:27 am UTC

Dream wrote:...rare ability of forum users here to actually think about what someone else posted. Hats off everyone, it's not common...

Heh, I can vouch for that. Every other forum I go to has a clear schism between intelligent posters and fools. The intelligent posters are also split; those who post arrogantly and those who just kind of drift along. I'm usually the former of the latter. :/

Wait, what am I doing without my font? O_o

Oh, right, no Times New Roman. Yeah, that should be added >.>

...pwease? :3

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Hectamatatortron wrote:
Dream wrote:...rare ability of forum users here to actually think about what someone else posted. Hats off everyone, it's not common...

Heh, I can vouch for that. Every other forum I go to has a clear schism between intelligent posters and fools. The intelligent posters are also split; those who post arrogantly and those who just kind of drift along. I'm usually the former of the latter. :/

Wait, what am I doing without my font? O_o

Oh, right, no Times New Roman. Yeah, that should be added >.>

...pwease? :3

I can vouch for it also. The worst is when a forum is mostly intelligent, and then a bunch of morons come in. AEFOOC is a perfect example. I still go there sometimes though.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

GuyWithFunnyHat

Postby GuyWithFunnyHat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:29 am UTC

hello all

I've been lurking around the fora for a while without signing up or posting anything...so i figured I should at least do this much.

anyways, I'm a junior in high school, I'm into math and physics, music of all sorts, random puzzles, billiards, and of course the occasional delightfully witty webcomic...

IB math FTW!

-peace
-there are no stupid questions, only stupid people
-never take a blind date to a silent film
-an optimist is a person whom, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will make a better soup

AerialSteamCarriage

Postby AerialSteamCarriage » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:27 am UTC

Hello, not a spambot...
I've lurked long enough to know to post here first, or get yelled at. :D
Um, ya. Male, 19, live in eastern America, play guitar, sail, college, read xkcd.
Must stop procrastinating and finish a lab report!
Spoiler:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I read AerialSteamCarriage's username as "AnallySteamedCabbages".
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

Syka

Postby Syka » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:30 am UTC

I dislike intro threads, but so you'll know I'm not a spambot, I shall cave.

I go by Syka on forums, I live in good ole Florida, I'm right around 20ish, and I'm a senior majoring in Classical Studies-Ancient Languages with a concentration in Psychology. I still don't know what I want to do with my life, and thankfully neither does my boyfriend really. We just want to be able to travel and live simple.

Oh yes, as if majoring in Ancient Languages wasn't nerdy enough, I play D&D among other roleplaying games, I write (two time winner of NaNoWriMo, one of which I'm currently attempting to salvage) and my goal for the coming year is to try and get some short stories published.

That being said, I'm a long time reader of xkcd, but only recently began visiting the forums. Most of the programming/math jokes go over my head, but I understand a good portion of the comics and they always make me smile. :)

Cheers,
Syka (No I'm not British, I just always end posts that way...;) )
wing wrote:...because xkcdians are so fucking odd that they're totally desensitized to "Gee, John Q Public thinks I'm dumb." and replaces it with "John Q Public is dumb."

NaNo 07: Stuck in the Middle-Won
NaNo '06: Mother Nature is Red- Won

Return to “General”