Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kwisatz Haderach

Re: POST HERE FIRST - INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 am UTC

Hello

I'm 20 years old and a second year engineering student at a large university in Southern California. I was only recently introduced to these comics, which I automatically fell in love with.

I am also a huge fan of the works of Frank Herbert with my favorite novels being those of Dune series. Unlike most I believe that Brian did an excellent job in finish up the series by adding he's own flare but still keeping with his father's storyboard.

So thats just a quick sum. if you want to know more just pm me.

AdrianaC

Postby AdrianaC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 am UTC

Kwisatz Haderach wrote:I'm 20 years old and a second year engineering student at a large university in Southern California.

I would like to say that "Kwisatz" here is my boyfriend. :) And I introduced him to xkcd.

Here's a picture of us, because we look so damn cute. Also, I really just want to embarrass him. :)
Attachments
xkcd.JPG
xkcd.JPG (8.12 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

graviton

Postby graviton » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:32 am UTC

Well, I was referred here, as it seems I missed it when looking through the forum at first. :p

I'm myself. 17 years old, high school junior. I interest myself mostly in particle physics, but i do find string theory intriguing. I'm not exactly well versed in either, but I know the basics at least.

Dynastar

Postby Dynastar » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:44 am UTC

Here I am, posting so the mods don't kick my a@@.

Male person, undergrad math degree, spent a few years working back East in the insurance industry and taking actuarial exams. Decided the work and 80% of my fellow actuaries-to-be were rather boring. (Any actuaries reading this, I'm sure you're part of the 20%.) Quit, moved to a very rural area out west, became a stay at home dad. Happy. :D

Do a bit of programing stuff, but not so much these days. Hope to get into it more seriously later on down the road.

ravaet

Postby ravaet » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:04 am UTC

[removed]
Last edited by ravaet on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Hi all,

I'm Dylan, a 26 year-old male from Newcastle, England. I go by the name the bandersnatch on most fora, after Lewis Carroll's poem Jabberwocky.

I work in IT though am a graduate of Astronomy and Astrophysics. My main interest these days is my indie-rock band, The Knutsens (check us out on Facebook and YouTube!), and have a lot of interest in history and literature.

Erm... and that's me. :)
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

metameme

Postby metameme » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

I'm Will and I think XKCD ROCKS!!

iamgeorge

Postby iamgeorge » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

Sup. I'm George. I am 23, living in Fairfax, VA. I'm an IT Consultant by day, lazy good-for-nothin' bum by night. Part of me hopes I'm not boring, but in all reality I probably am.

I went to Penn State and grew up in Pennsylvania. I didn't like my state until I moved out. Is that strange?

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

*Sigh*
Deleting posts from this thread is getting very old.

Can you people just stop putting links in it?

I'd appreciate it.
---
iamgeorge wrote:I went to Penn State and grew up in Pennsylvania. I didn't like my state until I moved out. Is that strange?

Not at all! I grew up in Cincinnati and pretty much couldn't wait to get the hell out of there as soon as I could. Now that I've been living in Louisville for the past 3.5 years, I love going back home and seeing my friends and family and enjoying all the locations that are so unique there. But of course, I also like leaving again... :D
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Kebrel

Postby Kebrel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Are you fucking serious???

Read the post before this one.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Jeff, I'm almost able to drink in the States (silly states). I'm an English major with an emphasis in creative writing. Also, I may or may not be a robot, I can't tell.

threeletteracronym

Postby threeletteracronym » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Greetings sirs and madams. I'm somewhat self-referential. I'm a intelligent underachiever. I've pretty much dropped out of community college, except I still go for fun, but I don't think I'm really pursuing a degree anymore. I work as a computer science tutor at aforementioned college and live with my parents and one day I will grow up to be a parenthetical statement.

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Hello raptors and gentlemen. I am Jahan Shahili and I hail from the tiny north-western town of Rishton. Its a vile place full of chavs prowling the streets at night. Im currently studying a joint degree of Journalism and Sociology but in my spare time I make vector and fractal art.

I found this site by pure luck and it was a great find :D

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Hello! No-one will ever read this apart from the newbie after me, but that's enough.

My name is Rich, I hail from London although I have lived in Wales for six years, in Swansea until last year, now Cardiff. I'm doing a PhD in electrical engineering at Cardiff University following a physics degree at Swansea. My mother is a physics teacher, my father a chemistry teacher and all these factors made it inevitable that I would fall in love with XKCD the first second I read it (it was the Bond cartoon). Oh, and I am also a hopeless romantic of course.

I will now continue to post elsewhere until people notice me and my desperate need for acceptance is fulfilled.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

I'm new here. you can tell, because it took me 5 minutes to find the "post reply" button. Stupid prosilver theme....but the other one looks stupid.
Oh, and you can tell because I'm posting in the "POST HERE FIRST" thread, and my postcount is 0.

ANYWAY!
Information Age/M/Amer'cuh
I am interested in computers, Conway's Life, Dave Barry and xkcd. I also enjoy pretending not to be a raptor. Also, cyphers! If you give me your initials and the season you were born, I can tell you the characteristics of a rule set for Conway's Life tailored to that info based on a process I'll never reveal! NEVER! It's about as accurate as a fortune cookie in determining your personality type. example: I'm "stable, stagnant and boring", which I'm not. Also Randall is "An expanding rectangle of chaotic uselessness, filled with strange pockets of life." Is he?
Where was I? oh yeah, I'm new. so hi.

Shiral

Postby Shiral » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Hey Everyone!

I'm Shiral, I'm a 17 year old Junior in highschool in Florida, US. I've really enjoyed the xkcd comics and saw the forum button, looked around the forums, and i immediately knew I should join. I enjoy math and science, and I'm hoping to become an Aeronautical Engineer. I try basic programming, when in school I keep myself occupied by programming my TI-84 Plus Silver :D

I might not be able to add much to upper-leveled mathematic discussions, because alot of it makes me :? , but I'll pop in from time to time. Hope you don't look down upon me just because of my age :D

thenachox

Introducing Mr Nacho

Postby thenachox » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Ok, I'm a young designer from Argentina. I'm 19, and i'm also into programming, logics, etc.

Personal geeky hobbies:
-Discovering great music that is not widely known, such as BC Camplight, The JulianaTheory orthe Depreciation Guild. If you know some of these guys, please: you're not alone.
-Making stupid quotes from films ive recently watched (just now i quoted I Am Legend).
-Spending hours reading philosophy articles on the wikipedia even though its pointless, cause I always forget the names and mix up the theories anyways.
-Leaving stupid comments in my code, as if anyone else were going to read them.

I'm here because a few weeks ago I drew a comic much like xkcd, and I wanted to share it with some other xkcd fans... so the second post i make here, will be that strip.
Oh, and also, i like to talk like a lolcat.

kthxbye

Rbc12

Postby Rbc12 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Hi, justing posting my Introduction here.

I'm currently a freshmen in college at the University of Pittsburgh. I found this comic a few months ago, and finally got around to joining the forums when it seemed like your hardware section might have a good answer.

Also I'm majoring in Engineering.

I guess I'd be happy to answer questions if anyone has them lol.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:28 am UTC

I guess I'm checking in so you don't think I'm some sort of spambot. I'm from Ottawa, Ontario (centre of the universe, fyi), I just turned 20 in December and I am male. I used to be in college, but I found out I hated what I was doing and stopped. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

I'm not paid by wordcount, so my posts are often short and to the point; I have the weirdest sense of humour of anyone I know; I enjoy breaking the rules of language because it makes people upset and there's nothing they can do about it. I also swear a lot.

And now I'm going to return to lurking for a while.

williamager

Postby williamager » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:00 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Hello! No-one will ever read this apart from the newbie after me, but that's enough.

Actually, I've read it, and a number of others probably have as well.

I will now continue to post elsewhere until people notice me and my desperate need for acceptance is fulfilled.

You have been noticed.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:22 am UTC

williamager wrote:You have been noticed.
You know, I think I've played an if game with that as an ending.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

nikki

Postby nikki » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Heya! I came across the comics on the site and I have to admit I don't think I've ever laughed at my computer screen before today. I realize that's sad... 1) me laughing at my computer 2) that I found them that entertaining

Anyway 20/f/CA I'm interested in just about anything interesting. If you want to know anything else you'll just have to message me. I may just reply if I'm in a good mood. :wink:

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 am UTC

do i really have to post here first? No.
well looks like I am
I'm Lauren, nerdy enough to be uncool with cool people but not nerdy enough to be cool with nerds.
half of the comics go over my head, i've never programed anything.
but most of them make me laugh
mainly i need the procrastination from my PhD
umm, I'm an aussie, 23, married, i have 2 puppies.
congratulations now you know me.
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

atteSmythe

Postby atteSmythe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:54 am UTC

Hi, I'm atteSmythe, and I'm posting here because I am a slave to rules.

I mostly lurk, and when I post, my style of late has been shorter and more to the point. Always something interesting to see or do somewhere else, I suppose, and omphaloskepsis is only entertaining for so long.

I find xkcd entertaining for a multitude of reasons which are strange in the world at large, but I imagine are commonplace here. So...off to post the post I really wanted to make, and maybe some others, another day.

manofomens2

Postby manofomens2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Hello, I am who I am...and I am clinically insane. Believe it or not, the clinics are either completely messed up...or I really AM a 3 foot tall Asian man. Im pretty sure im not three feet tall. I probably am not asian either. Im guessing the clinics are messed up. Oh, im a physics major at UNCC.

SayWhat1

Postby SayWhat1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:23 am UTC

My first post got lost in the internets so here I go again. I'm a 24 year old guy who lives in the bible belt, but not for much longer I hope! Living in the bible belt, I've had to run away from my fair share of lynch mobs. I also have an irrational fear of midgets, just to let you know.
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." — Kurt Vonnegut

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." — Isaac Asimov

JBraccio

Postby JBraccio » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:45 am UTC

I'm Jacob I'm 18 and live in California and hopefully will get out my small ass town in a year when I graduate...small towns suck...jazz rocks...thats a little oxymoronic so how about jazz swings

Refefer

Postby Refefer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 am UTC

My second post, actually.

Hi! The name is Andrew, I'm a computer science and math major attending GMU just outside the not so beautiful Washington DC. Not a whole lot to say about myself except what an excellent webcomic and fantastic forum this site has!

damonius

Postby damonius » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Hi all :) New to the forums, but certainly not new to xkcd. I am a 22-year-old journalist living within 50 miles of the capital of the united states, working for a major daily newspaper as a copy editor. I currently edit sports, the topic I know the least about and have little desire to learn more of. The disdain for ending sentences with prepositions is based on pure garbage taught mainly by schoolmarms, and I wish not to propagate that myth.

I am a 2007 graduate of the University of Maryland, where I studied journalism for three years before changing my major to American studies, for which my minors were journalism and popular culture.

In my spare time, I enjoy a text-based RPG called Medievia (telnet medievia.com 4000), on which I am a god and avatar. I also enjoy playing with my kittens, Woodward and Bernstein.

My favorite XKCD comic is "Grownups," as I believe it contains one of the greatest quotes of the past decade: "Because we're grown-ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means."

My favorite movie of all time is The Sandlot, but I hate Major League Baseball (almost as much as I hate NBA). My undergraduate thesis was on sports rivalries in political and international arenas, titled "Duke Sucks." Despite that, and working in a sports department, I am still not a sports fan.

Except for hockey. Go Caps!

I am not as pretentious as this message would lead you to believe. My language here sounds stilted. And I don't know why.

phraemer

Postby phraemer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:08 am UTC

i'm just this guy, you know.

anyway, the latest XKCD led me to this

http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8

could start a new craze, i call it googlewhaccident !

FTD:"died in an amusing accident involving a tossed salad and a gerbil"
Ya, this link can stay.

Rethius

Postby Rethius » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:25 am UTC

Ahoy. I'm Adam. I'm 22, and I live in SLC, Utah. I attend the local community college in hopes of one day being a journalist or professional mountain man. (I would like to tame a bear, catch fish with my bare hands, set traps, and trade skins for fancy beads and corn. Also, have a very large rifle and rugged beard.)

I like how real xkcd is. It's funny and also serious.

Oh yeah, and I totally blow at math, but one day I will take some courses to fix that. In the meantime I don't know what your 'formula' or 'theories' are. It's all just hocus pocus words to me.

charmuska

Postby charmuska » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Hi, I'm James. I use the name charmuska for a lot of things, so odds are if you see this name floating around, it's me.

I'm studying German in the USA, switched from computer science (currently abroad in Germany for the year).

I started reading this comic back when the list could be seen entirely in the course of one page up/page down button press. I have since then convinced several other people to start reading this comic.

What I enjoy...free things. Walking around without buying anything, playing free games on the web...you know, things like that.

That's all for now.
Your friend and mine,
Charmuska

triangl

Postby triangl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Hi there! I'm Chris, pleased to meet you.

I'm 19, and I'm currently living near London, studying Maths at RHUL.

I can't think what else to put, it has been a long time since I frequented a forum of any description, but I like the look of this one (and I've been a fan of xkcd for a while now).

So far I've found I enjoy algebra, discrete mathematics and analysis much more than I enjoy calculus, and I hate (=am rubbish at) mechanics and statistics.

Erm... I play bass guitar, I'm looking to learn double bass classically (my own guitar training was far from classical!). I played guitar for six years before I picked up bass, and I still play occasionally, but bass is my main instrument. I'm into jazz and heavy metal.

Well maybe I'll see you around!
a sequence an is null iff, given eps>0 there exists N(eps) such that n>N(eps) => ¦an¦<eps

wreave

Postby wreave » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Hello, my name is Mark, I've been a fan of xkcd ever since finding the "cue angry letters from all seven fans of Xenocide" comic (http://xkcd.com/304/). However, having written a negative review of Xenocide on amazon.com which got 2 "helpful" votes out of a total of 11, I think there may be as many as nine Xenocide fans.

I work for a small cable/telecom company that competes with Comcast and Qwest in Colorado.

My nerd credentials include my username, which is my normal username on many forums, of which this is probably the only one that has members who will actually get it.

Joining today to post about elevator safety. http://xkcd.com/369/
Last edited by wreave on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Midwoka

Postby Midwoka » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

I'm Midwoka. I'm firmly planted on the west coast of Canada, where I obsess over the two most important Japanese creations: anime and sushi. My anime interests are wide enough that it's alot faster to say what kind I don't watch: "technique" anime (I countered his smiling-dragon-of-the-eternal-flaming-pagoda-with-the-ATM-in-the-lobby technique with my bright-shiny-island-of-the-western-continent-that-nobody-visits-because-its-full-of-lepers technique! cho!). I'm asexual, meaning I have little or no sexual attraction to either gender. I was born on the year of the Rabbit, and I tend to fit that sign's descriptions very well. Other interests of mine include: cover bands (because sometimes an aweful band digs up a song so great that they themselves cannot do it justice), mythology/pantheons (Greek, Pharonic, Norse, Lovecraftian, Voodoun, Aztec), table-top RPG's (AD&D, White Wolf, Shadowrun, Rifts, GURPS, Paranoia, etc.), and a bunch of other little things that I won't go too far into because I tend to be long-winded enough when posting on a forum.

One of my biggest irritants is when people can't think in hypotheticals. For example, when people feel the need to tell me that whatever RPG I'm playing is just a game. I already *know* it isn't real - I can wrap my head around that without the constant reminders. The situation is much like three people sitting in a room. "You know," says the first, "I love walking in the forest to see the beams of sunlight peeking through the canopy. It's just so beautiful." The second thinks for a moment, and adds, "Well, I like walking in the woods because the air is just so crisp and fresh." The third then leans toward them and shouts, "WE'RE NOT IN A FOREST!" The third's comment is not insightful, not very welcome, and certainly already obvious to the first two. I'm much more puzzling to these kinds of people now that I've begun responding to them by saying, "Yes, yes. We're not in a forest. We know."

My mortal enemy is the Glomobi corporation. You might recognise them from the commercials asking you to text-message some number and empty your wallet in exchange for them transforming you into a comedian/gangsta/love-machine by sending you jokes/yo-mammas/pick-ups that were tired long before Al Gore even created the tubes.

Also, I used to be a spambot, but I'm self-aware now so it shouldn't be a problem.

dr.sanjaygupta

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby dr.sanjaygupta » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Umm, hi. I was recommended to go here only because I have a specific problem to ask in your puzzles threads. but I've read the comics and so far, they're pretty damned hilarious. Im a senior student in high school, I enjoy Liturature, but I'm no genius. Seriously, I probably don't belong here.

Green Bay Hackers

Postby Green Bay Hackers » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Hello! My name is Paul, and I'm 21. I may or may not be a ghost. See, on the one hand, if I was a ghost, wouldn't my fingers go right through the keys so that I couldn't type? But on the other hand, can't ghosts interface with computers through mysterious and supernatural ways? Pretty sure they can in RECENT MOVIES.

Anyway, I'm a big XKCD fan. I also like Dinosaur Comics and Achewood. Plus Pictures for Sad Children of course.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Fortunately, being a genius is not a requirement for belonging to the fora!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Fortunately, being a genius is not a requirement for belonging to the fora!

indigo

Postby indigo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Tanya, also referred to as indi referring to my often-used interwebs identity indigo, aptly named after one of my most appreciated colors.

I'm 26, an unattached lady living in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, former student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, listener of a wide variety of music, library card-holder, internet nerd girl, lover of interesting message boards, livejournaling, lolcats, and worlds in which warcraft is waged. (70 troll shaman, Horde, Mal'ganis IF anyone cares, and I hope not). I work in graphic design, and basically, I slack off at least two days a week. I should probably do something, but I don't have an easy alibi like compiling.

Nice to meet you all, hopefully I can become a regular participant. And I really really really enjoy the comic, btw.

And I would like someone to put a ball pit, with slides, in a bar. It would only be slightly less hygenic than the ones with children in them. I've decided that DDR is not enough to get me in to a Dave and Busters - however a ball pit might be.

Return to “General”