Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Icewalker

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Icewalker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Woo. Awesome comic, decided to come to the forums. So...hi!

VTenginerd

Postby VTenginerd » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:24 am UTC

New here. I'm Nick. 25/m/VA. I'm a grad student in Structural Engineering at Virginia Tech and went to Florida State for undergrad. Besides school, I'm into motorcycles, playing trumpet and guitar, and being outside (specifically I enjoy mountain biking and SCUBA diving).

Feel free to PM me. To paraphrase some webcomic, I'm shy, not antisocial, so you can talk to me.

-Nick

LordCleverpork

Postby LordCleverpork » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Hi, I'm Chris, I'm a junior at the University of Oregon, studying biology(focus on microbiology). I used to be hardcore into marching band and drum corps, but that stuff got replaced recently when I picked up being a resident assistant here at UO. Discovered xkcd last year when a friend showed me it, thought it might have been the best webcomic ever created, and also some of the sweetest moments I have ever read in a webcomic.

I am also considering doing a velociraptor theme for my hall next term, so if anyone has any ideas of how I can make good looking door decs(name tags basically) for all 76 of my residents, send me a message!

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:59 am UTC

I definitely don't read this.

I also don't delete posts that have links in them.

>_>
<_<
:twisted:
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

SWGlassPit

Postby SWGlassPit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:13 am UTC

Name's Tristan, I'm a grad student in Mechanical Engineering--visited xkcd for months before even knowing there was a forum, and I've been lurking for a few weeks now. Only now getting into the posting action.

Uhh...about myself...

I like to spend my spare time in the fall teaching marching band drumline, even spent three summers touring the country with marching groups, doing about 100 shows over 45000 miles in 30 states total. Other than that, I'm your average engineering nerd.

jacjac10

Postby jacjac10 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 am UTC

Hello, I'm Jaclyn... a former band nerd from Florida. I'm studying Anthropology currently, and eventually plan to get my PhD in Museology, aka museum curation (which is unfortunately not a word no matter how many times I use it to describe what I want to do with my life).

Light blue is an incredibly difficult colour to read. We discourage coloured posting (except for mod-text), as a general rule, just because we like to make things friendly for people's eyes. Thanks for your cooperation!

Guillotine

Postby Guillotine » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 am UTC

Heya, I finally decided to join the forums after reading the comic for a long time :) Hello all!

romanlevin

Postby romanlevin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Fat Tony wrote:My little brother's name is Roman; I've never met another one.

I only know of one, and I have no idea how much of his name is fakery, and how much is birth certificatery.

Oh I'm all real, baby. Also, "Roman" isn't very rare in the former USSR, where I was born. In what is now Uzbekistan, to be more precise.

Sinta

Postby Sinta » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Hello all, my name is Tanja, 24, working in Leeds as a Systems Analyst and studying a few OU maths/science courses part-time out of sheer boredom with "industry".

I have been reading xkcd for some time now and have only recently been encouraged to join the forums by a fellow member (who lurks here every evening, you know who you are). So here I am, in the middle of an Oracle PL/SQL training course, signing in to say: "Hello to you all!"

A quirky avatar will be provided soon.

I'm nice, really.
"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." -- Albert Einstein

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

jacjac10 wrote:Hello, I'm Jaclyn... a former band nerd from Florida. I'm studying Anthropology currently, and eventually plan to get my PhD in Museology, aka museum curation (which is unfortunately not a word no matter how many times I use it to describe what I want to do with my life).

That colour is hard to read. :(
As for curation, it makes sense as a word, keep using it and maybe people will adopt it.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Koriina

Postby Koriina » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Hey there. My name is Koriina. I can feel the shock radiating from your loose jaws.

Mm. Anyhow. I'm 17 years old. I live in Aberdeen, Washington, and I gladly invite anyone who dares to come stalk me. I've gotten plenty of offers in my time, but no one has been courteous enough to actually show up.

When I get bored, I learn a new instrument. I play video games of all genres. I read comics, webcomics, graphic novels . . . anything with pictures. I also read non-illustrated books, of course, but it's very hard to make a list of types of text without naming genres, and that would break all the rules. I am what results when a science teacher and a computer technician breed, though they weren't in any real profession when that horrible mistake was made. I hate wearing shoes, and socks aren't too fun, either. Bare feet don't stink.

My favorite science is Astronomy. I'm a spacial thinker and an auditory/visual/tactile learner. I'm not in school at the moment, so I'm often up all night and asleep all day. In January I got a sunburn after being outside for half an hour wearing a t-shirt. It was raining.

My hair is red and refuses to straighten without two hours of work (and even then it'll curl up again in 15 minutes if the humidity is over 80%). My eyes are the same shade of brown as an old pile of dog poo, and unlike most people I don't have a dark ring around my iris.

And now you know more than you ever wanted to about me. =)
"It won't fit there."

. . .

"Not legally."

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

Welcome. There are snakes on our plane.

Zug-Zug

Postby Zug-Zug » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Welcome. There are snakes on our plane.

Aren't they on every plane now? :shock:

luminos

Postby luminos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

This sentence is the opener of a paragraph. This sentence is to state my purpose of introducing my self. This sentence is an attempt at humor that probably fails.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

luminos wrote:This sentence is an attempt at humor that probably fails.

It works on me when I'm slightly sleep deprived and also hyped up by a little too much caffeine and sugar. :lol:
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

hey, im parika. im 19. joined because i like most of the threads, especially logic puzzles and the high culture. nice to see other people have similar tastes because none of my friends do.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
luminos wrote:This sentence is an attempt at humor that probably fails.

It works on me when I'm slightly sleep deprived and also hyped up by a little too much caffeine C8H10N4O2 and sugar C12H22O11. :lol:

Fix'd
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Hello, *waves* Silver here..

eh, I'm a 20 year old female living in Canada. I'm currently slowly pursuing a degree in Computer Science (And also currently procrastinating working on my english paper). I totally forget who introduced me to this comic but it's the only one I keep up with. Just thought I'd post here while I had the courage/time and start exploring, from what I've read it looks like a really neat forum you guys have here ^-^

ermmm what else... I love baseball, music (though I don't play), python (though I'm not a really good programmer ><) and photoshop. I lean more towards hippie and am pacifist... Never really got into games much >< mostly because I suck at strategy and am just not good at them... 'cept bookworm.. I love that game... oh and please don't pose a really interesting question, because I won't stop until I figure it out and it will bug forever if I don't..

Oh, I used to be a Chemistry Major. DON'T DO IT. Seriously, I love chemistry and all but don't be a chem major.

hehe whoops >< sorry for the rambles.

d_goddard

Postby d_goddard » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Greetings, Earth People

My name is Denis and there's no way I should be reading these comics or posting here. I have work to do, for heavens' sake!!!!

BTW, I have used the "little johnny tables" cartoon as an instructional tool on more than one occasion. It's a classic, and thank you for it.

Now I am going to hit the gym. And then recompile some stuff on old versions of various OSes, so that as many people as possible will be able to run those programs.

La Javelina

Postby La Javelina » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Jenny. I've been reading the comic for several months now, whenever I am slacking off, but this is my first foray into the fora.

Basic info: 36 y/o, female, grad student in Biology.

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:39 am UTC

SteaL7h wrote:I'm a straight guy and I don't smoke or do drugs, and I pretty much don't drink. And I don't like to lie.

That's rare. I second that for myself - with the exception of the guy thing. I'm of the vagina sort. ^_^ It's fun.

I am 21 and currently live in Orlando, originally a Miami girl. I found xkcd on I-Am-Bored.com and read it through all at once. Is it bad that I not-so-secretly have a thing for Mr. Munroe, now? We should turn him in to a magical plush teddy bear like Barney and distribute him to all the members. I want one.

I'm attempting to finish my AA in General Studies so that I can teach Kindergarten in the Choctaw reserve in Mississippi at the end of 2009. Howeverrr, I've moved six times in the past seven months, so it's slowed the process a bit. After I finish my AA, I'll work on becoming a K-12 teacher at the reserve, focusing on general sciences and fine arts. I'm artistically inclined, but I seem to do better academically in math in science - which I find odd since I've been in advanced arts since first freaking grade. Math-y boys turn me on. /blush.

I mostly play WoW and GuitarHero. I'm a huge fan of Final Fantasy, as well as God of War - it's sexy. Yes. Minesweeper addict, as well. /sheepish grin.

"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates. Fits my outlook well enough.
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

Hica

Postby Hica » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Hi, I'm Mike. I'm going on 22 and I live in a crappy town in rural Connecticut. I'm currently working towards a career in computer programming. I'm into sports and motorcycles, so if anyone wants to ride their motorbike to play me in tennis let me know. My serve sucks, so take advantage. I'm (slowly) learning how to play the piano, and I'll sing any song you throw at me... I just wont sing it very well. I've always been really into gaming, but I can't find anything that holds my attention. CoD4 got old, WoW was sweet and turned crappy, and I can only get wasted and play Guitar Hero so often. I'm proud to say I've beaten Lemmings on the SNES without using a single cheat code.

Anyways, I stumbled upon xkcd a couple years ago, but only found out there were fora tonight. Why no one told me this is beyond me, but I was reading through the FAQ and found it. I'll honestly say I don't get some of the jokes, but just about everything on the site is gold. Also, I waited like a month for the store to re-open so I could buy the online communities poster. It's gonna look so sweet on my wall.

dukederek

Postby dukederek » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Obsessive comic reader and occasional forum lurker. Trying to avoid doing any work so I thought I'd register, probably wont post too much for a while while I learn the ropes.

Introduction in list form:
    Dave
    Bristol (England)
    PhD student
    Quantum Cryptography

I will probably be mainly posting in the science section, initially making statements which are exclusively scientific fact.

Viché

Postby Viché » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

meh, not enough to state, lets just say ill be spending all my time in the maths forum... cos im cool like that... B)

All you need to know is:
Name :Viché
Born in : Liverpool
Lives in : Wirral

^_^

that is all :)

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

dukederek wrote:Quantum Cryptography

... I'm not sure I even know what that is. Is it encoding/decoding stuff using quantum computers?

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

silverwmoon wrote:I'm a 20 year old female living in Canada.

WATCH OUT, WE ARE TAKING OVER.

Mwahahahaha.

Bwaha.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

Ren wrote:

Mwahahahaha.

Bwaha.

This post had objectionable content.
Just becuase it's the Intro forums. And I don't others to fall for the trap think we don't like strangers.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Mikagon

Postby Mikagon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

I just joined a few days ago and have been checking out the forums to see what's going on and such. I've been reading xkcd for quite a while now and the comic rocks so the forums have to rock. It's the rules or something.

So anyways, my real name is Liz and I'm 18. I'm a full time college student and I tutor as a job. Some of my hobbies are superheroes (DC, Marvel, and AstroCity mostly), reading, gaming, snow bank diving, music, dragons, anime, manga, and a bunch of other odds and ends. I'm still trying to decided my major and minor although I'm leaning towards a double major of English and Computer Science. I also collect fortune cookie fortunes', I'm making a mural out of them when I get enough of them; it's an odd project I've wanted to do for a long time.

funkytwinkie

Postby funkytwinkie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

word up, homeslices.

my name's ji yoon, i'm 20 years old. i go to school way up there...in canada. i go to mcgill university, and i'm in science. my interests include listening to music, going to the gym too much, and using my inability to pry myself away from my computer as an excuse to explore and surf the internet. oh yah, and grapefruit. i actually like grapefruit, who knew?

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

funkytwinkie wrote:word up, homeslices.

my name's ji yoon, i'm 20 years old. i go to school way up there...in canada. i go to mcgill university, and i'm in science. my interests include listening to music, going to the gym too much, and using my inability to pry myself away from my computer as an excuse to explore and surf the internet. oh yah, and grapefruit. i actually like grapefruit, who knew?

ooh, I've been to McGill metro station! Does that count?

Can you just do a "science" degree there, or are you specifically doing physics/maths/astronomy etc?

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

elephantitis wrote:
SteaL7h wrote:I'm a straight guy and I don't smoke or do drugs, and I pretty much don't drink. And I don't like to lie.

That's rare. I second that for myself - with the exception of the guy thing. I'm of the vagina sort. ^_^ It's fun.

Ooh, snap. (With elephantitis.)

Actually, with the exception of the 'straight' thing. But, carry on, I like the rest. :D
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Ren wrote:

Mwahahahaha.

Bwaha.

LOL Happy to help out the cause ;)

Erm I think you can do a general BSc, but we don't have to declare our major until about 3rd year... (at least at my uni, I think McGill is the same)

weel

Postby weel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Lee, 21 years old, and going to Columbia College in Columbia, Missouri. I'm undecided now but looking into everything from philosophy to computer science. Other than that I have almost every one Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels and love video games. I check 62+ webcomics a day (a new one whenever I finish the archives for it, Sluggy Freelance took me a week) and xkcd is my favorite out of all of them. Nice to meet you.

funkytwinkie

Postby funkytwinkie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
funkytwinkie wrote:word up, homeslices.

ooh, I've been to McGill metro station! Does that count?

Can you just do a "science" degree there, or are you specifically doing physics/maths/astronomy etc?

i guess it half counts, since mcgill metro station is 30 seconds away from the main entrance of the downtown campus...;)

well right now they're all putting the first years through the same science program...but i want to declare my major/department as either biochemistry or micro/immunology. i am so torn between these two choices! and also i might transfer to UBC (with the same program, majors, etc) so it's kind of up in the air at this point.

i'm taking astronomy this year though (an intro course) and i have to say this is a fascinating subject! did you check out the total lunar eclipse??

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Hai! I'm glasnt, and I currently have more sugar than blood coursing through my veins.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also, I <3 Randall. I will have his babies. They will be raptor babies. He will fear them. :twisted:

alterant

Postby alterant » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Hi there :)
My name is Ian.
I'm into physics, math, languages... and generally understanding as much as I can about the world, so when zombie/raptor day comes, I'll be well prepared.
Oh, and I'm an engineering student, from Canada.
Cheers,
-Ian

iamdroopy

Postby iamdroopy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:19 am UTC

pinkgothic wrote:
elephantitis wrote:

Ooh, snap. (With elephantitis.)

Actually, with the exception of the 'straight' thing. But, carry on, I like the rest. :D

I'm also Straight. I dont use drugs, smoke or drink. And I raise you the fact that I don't cuss either.

- Droopy

SteaL7h

Postby SteaL7h » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:36 am UTC

iamdroopy wrote:And I raise you the fact that I don't cuss either.

Well, I find that shit to be fucking boring.

But seriously, are you religious or something? No offense...
"Well, shit." My intro.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:35 am UTC

weel wrote:Hey, I'm Lee, 21 years old, and going to Columbia College in Columbia, Missouri. I'm undecided now but looking into everything from philosophy to computer science. Other than that I have almost every one Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels and love video games. I check 62+ webcomics a day (a new one whenever I finish the archives for it, Sluggy Freelance took me a week) and xkcd is my favorite out of all of them. Nice to meet you.

You know, I've met exactly one person here who's even heard of Terry Pratchett? It really depresses me.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Sour Apple wrote:
weel wrote:Hey, I'm Lee, 21 years old, and going to Columbia College in Columbia, Missouri. I'm undecided now but looking into everything from philosophy to computer science. Other than that I have almost every one Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels and love video games. I check 62+ webcomics a day (a new one whenever I finish the archives for it, Sluggy Freelance took me a week) and xkcd is my favorite out of all of them. Nice to meet you.

You know, I've met exactly one person here who's even heard of Terry Pratchett? It really depresses me.

That is sad. :(

I'm not nearly as familiar with Pratchett as weel, but his work with Neil Gaiman is a favourite. (Kinda sorta secretly stalk Gaiman.)
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

Return to “General”