Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

goatboy90

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby goatboy90 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

My name is Ethan, I live in California.

I love computers, video games and GH.

I am joining the xkcd forums to ask a question then eventually join in discussions.

Dyakson

Postby Dyakson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

elephantitis wrote:
Random832 wrote:
elephantitis wrote:I couldn't agree more.

Is... is that a bowler hat on a nebula in your avatar? I hadn't noticed it before, lol! Awesome.

Looking at his avatar, that is clearly a top hat.

I stand corrected. ^_^

Hey, Florida's stolen our airport, and you're living in it. Give it back soon plz!
Дяксон
Can't actually speak Russian

Awesomium

Postby Awesomium » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Hi,

My Name is Tom, and I live in the UK. I'm 16 and currently in year 12 (sorry, don't know what the American equivalents are). I'm interested in maths, science, philosophy and computers, in descending order of preference. My temperament swings pretty much randomly between child-like optimism and misanthropic nihilism. I'm fond of the surreal, and often laugh at things that others don't find remotely funny. I've been lurking on the fora for a while, so I think I know my way around pretty well, and I've been reading the comic much longer. I've been considering joining for a while, and I thought what better opportunity than pi day itself?!
This failure does not tolerate organisation.

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Dyakson wrote:
elephantitis wrote:I stand corrected. ^_^

Hey, Florida's stolen our airport, and you're living in it. Give it back soon plz!

I do NOT live in an airport. =(
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

kninfo

Postby kninfo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:22 am UTC

Greetings. I am male, 14 years old and I live in Port Elizabeth in South Africa. I am in eighth grade.

My interests include reading, programming (though I suck) and memorising anything which I think will be remotely useful in the next 60 years of my life.
I'm currently memorising (mainly) types of knots, everything about every country in existence, edible wild plants and animals, and miscellanous other stuff. I'm also trying to learn lockpicking and calculus, but without any success whatsoever.
I enjoy learning the name, ID number, handwriting and signature of random people. Currently I can accurately imitate the signature and handwriting of my maths teacher, english teacher and principal.

I am an atheist and a liberal leftist. I play piano (currently in grade 3) and I'm a percussionist in a band.

I DO NOT HAVE A FAVOURITE (COLOUR|NUMBER), DAMNIT.

Rock 'n' Lol

Postby Rock 'n' Lol » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

Hey. I'm Ben, 23, from England.
Glad to be a part of this forum. Everyone here seems (relatively) sane and open which is a nice change from most forums.
I guess I should write about some occupation here but I don't feel that's relevant. That's just what I do, not who I am.
I'm a bit of an obsessive person, especially with music (metal), and maybe a bit of a recluse although I have some great friends.
I haven't actually read the comic yet *hides*, I stumbled on the forum and thought hmm interesting people.
Yep, see you around the forums :shock:

fer-sure-maybe

Postby fer-sure-maybe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
.... which one?

lmao, on the left. sorry, i alwayz assume people see asians like my mate as yellow. my bad ^_^

Truth is, it's hard to tell. At a quick glance, I'd guess Philipino, but it's very blurry. I could also guess Samoan, but I'm not sure. That is if you're the one with glasses. So yea. Other than that... I'm quite at a loss... Welcome anyway! (as if I'm anyone important here)

Damn, always with the Filipino >_>!!! but yea, u get brownie points cause I'm Samoan!!! lol, yea, believe it or not, i can read and write, IT'S MARVELOUS!!! btw, Ur Kool!!!! Oh and glasses girl is Viet, but shes like me and says shes Aussie, man, the looks we get....^_^.
I'd say her name but u neva know.....

Nobody here gives a crap where you're from, I can promise you that. Although the fact that you have to associate with people who would judge you by your background does suggest a few parts of Sydney where you might be located...

......Touche, that was a good point, and I'll help you pinpoint my location just a tiny bit....South Western Sydney

regua

Postby regua » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

Hi there, I'm regua (/rɛguwa/). I'm from Poland and don't particularly enjoy living in this country.
The comic has always amazed and attracted me, I have been reading it for a long time but never got round to registering on the forums. I like the community and hope to spend some time here.
I am currently a student, interested in developing web applications (PHP/Python) and slightly in web design.
Also, I do not like mangos.

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Rock 'n' Lol wrote:I haven't actually read the comic yet
regua wrote:I do not like mangos.

...what do you think this is, some kind of non-webcomic-related, non-mango-eating forum? You people make me sick.

(By which I mean: welcome, nice to meet you! And some more UK people, excellent. Myself, I'm from London, currently at uni. I like toast and coffee, and dislike watermelon.)
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

gruckiii

Postby gruckiii » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

I'm George.
I write software for a living.
Does that mean I was already crazy or does it mean I am going to become crazy?
Either way I think all paths through this profession lead to the same institution in the end :mrgreen:

I used to live where it was cold and competition for jobs was too tough for new graduates to find work. I eventually moved 1 state to the west where it's still cold, but where I can at least get interviews. Now I work for one of the fortune 100. That's kind of funny (I say to myself like a crazy person), whats different between me now and me 4 years ago when no one would even interview me? The only difference was, I already had a job when I was looking.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

gruckiii wrote:I'm George.
I write software for a living.
Does that mean I was already crazy or does it mean I am going to become crazy?
Either way I think all paths through this profession lead to the same institution in the end :mrgreen:

Just depends on time management/obscene deadlines. I'm not saying if you get obscene deadlines to make, but when as it always happens.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Fredd

I like pie!

Postby Fredd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

I prefer to answer A/S&GP/GD (Age, sex and gender preference, graphical distribution)

I'm Fredd, 19, human male, and I like girls. I live in Delaware and parts of Maryland. I travel as often as I use internet forums (not much, I prefer to hang in #xkcd).

I try to walk the fuzzy line between genius and insanity: I believe pretentious genius should be tempered with ridiculous childishness. Accept all, judge none (except for the gosh darn freaks). Eat what you kill, work hard and party..not so hard. I like pie. Pie likes me. I crush my enemies, and those who stand before me will taste my wrath.

THIS IS THE LOL OF THE JUNGLE
Electricity can only be replenished by whiskey. Do not argue with me, I am a Doktor.

Sour Apple

Re: I like pie!

Postby Sour Apple » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Fredd wrote:I prefer to answer A/S&GP/GD (Age, sex and gender preference, graphical distribution)

I'm Fredd, 19, human male, and I like girls. I live in Delaware and parts of Maryland.

All at once? (About the state thing, not the-- okay, never mind. Just answer the question.)
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Dyakson

Postby Dyakson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

elephantitis wrote:
Dyakson wrote:

I'm sure that yesterday your location was 'Heathrow, FL'... :-)
Дяксон
Can't actually speak Russian

mady

Postby mady » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:42 am UTC

Hi, my most well known name is Mady. I'm seventeen living in Ontario. I'm a vegetarian and I work in a deli. I'm graduating from high school this year and going to Waterloo for the Computer Science program in September. My family is disappointed in my decision to not pursue a career in art.
I'm a fan of onions, procrastination, and post cards that have ridiculous made up stories.

Erin45

Postby Erin45 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Hi, I'm Erin. I'm 17 years old, and I live in Vancouver, WA (Unfortunately not BC). I enjoy strawberries, Stephen King, and fancy socks. I spend the majority of my non-social time either performing serious flute-like activities or searching for fancy socks. Or, the ultimate, both at the same time.

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:30 am UTC

Dyakson wrote:
elephantitis wrote:
Dyakson wrote:

I'm sure that yesterday your location was 'Heathrow, FL'... :-)

Yes, that is true.

... :roll:

elitesocks

Postby elitesocks » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Hey, my name is Casey and I live in Syracuse, New York. I'm in to languages, building computers and modding nerf guns. Yay?

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:48 am UTC

Modding nerf guns has much potential for "yay", indeed...

Minalth

Postby Minalth » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

YARRRRR, I BE TAAM.
<clear throat>
I'm Tom, 20, UK.
interested in most things geeky from physics to fantasy, pyrotechnics to phytoplankton... I study Biology.

the article

Postby the article » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

I can't think of an intro :!: :!: :!: :!:
ok, I can play guitar hero,
there's something wrong with my DirectX,
I like punk rock, electric etc. secret beatboxer
deeply poetic, if you know me personally i probably have a poem for you,
sk8 owns! and runescape
and thats about it, thanks for reading you get a free fountain of youth!
(fountain of youth next pirates of the caribean movie)

John E.

Postby John E. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Hi, My name is John. I live in rural East Texas. I acquire hardware by asking, "Hey, can I have that stuff?" at work when the boss guys upgrade their computer systems because "It's running too slow, order something bigger for me."

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Xaddak. I'm a 20 year old college student. I live in Florida, near Disney and Universal Studios. I'm a PC/360 gamer, but I do enjoy tabletop games as well. I hope to eventually enter the game design aspect of the gaming industry, and am currently studying to do so (UCF, not Fullsail...). I enjoy most every genre of game - FPS, RTS, RPG, MMO, etc. I play City of Heroes on the Virtue server (@Xaddak).

I'm an avid webcomic reader, but xkcd has rapidly become one of my all-time favourites. Many of my other webcomics have recently been retired from my bookmarks folder, such as 8-bit Theater, Squidi, Starslip Crisis, and User Friendly, mostly because they've gotten too bloated and weird for me to really enjoy anymore. I also enjoy reading fantasy and sci-fi books, and I loves me some Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffrey, Terry Pratchett, Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, J.R.R. Tolkien, and others.

I also like coding, although my experience with it is very minimal. I know a little bit of C and about the same amount in Python. I wish I knew more, because a pair of friends and I have an AWESOME idea for a game, but it would require a custom engine. Long story.

Well, that was considerably more long-winded than I expected. Short version: ME R GAMER THAT READS AND CODES A LIL' BIT.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Hi, I'm Xaddak. I'm a 20 year old college student. I live in Florida, near Disney and Universal Studios. I'm a PC/360 gamer, but I do enjoy tabletop games as well. I hope to eventually enter the game design aspect of the gaming industry, and am currently studying to do so (UCF, not Fullsail...). I enjoy most every genre of game - FPS, RTS, RPG, MMO, etc. I play City of Heroes on the Virtue server (@Xaddak).

I'm an avid webcomic reader, but xkcd has rapidly become one of my all-time favourites. Many of my other webcomics have recently been retired from my bookmarks folder, such as 8-bit Theater, Squidi, Starslip Crisis, and User Friendly, mostly because they've gotten too bloated and weird for me to really enjoy anymore. I also enjoy reading fantasy and sci-fi books, and I loves me some Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffrey, Terry Pratchett, Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, J.R.R. Tolkien, and others.

I also like coding, although my experience with it is very minimal. I know a little bit of C and about the same amount in Python. I wish I knew more, because a pair of friends and I have an AWESOME idea for a game, but it would require a custom engine. Long story.

Well, that was considerably more long-winded than I expected. Short version: ME R GAMER THAT READS AND CODES A LIL' BIT.

/high five for Orlando area!

And, /high five for not putting up with FullSail's crazy schedule! I wanted to go for lighting, but then I found out the whole take-over-your-life, jobless-requiring-psychotic-ness that the school maintains. No, thx. Same thing for vet school, though. :( I lose. I have a slew of friends that just graduated from FullSail's game design programs and they weren't entirely excited with the school after attending for a bit.

I should be going to UCF for Fall '08. See you around, buddy. :twisted: (Not a stalker, I promise.

... HEH.)

P.S. What kind of game?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

A sci-fi frontier game. Ever played Wurm Online? KIND OF like that, but less annoying to play, and with more of a structured skill system so a jack-of-all-trades is just that, not a master of ANY of them, let alone ALL of them.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Cantor-Bernstein

Postby Cantor-Bernstein » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Hi, I'm not a spam bot. I'm an 18-year-old living in Scotland in the final year of the International Baccalaureate programme.

I like mathematics, analytic philosophy and all kinds of fiction. I read often. I think often. I prefer both to most other activities.

Favourites:
  • Favourite mathematician: maybe Cantor, maybe Goedel, maybe Euler
  • Favourite novel: Herzog by Saul Bellow
  • Favourite poet: Seamus Heaney or Richard Brautigan
  • Favourite theorem: forbidden graph minor theorem, the Jordan curve theorem or the compactness theorem

I'll be attending the University of Chicago from next September as a mathematics major. I usually post on anonymous discussion boards or imageboards; I'm only here for the maths.

degman

Postby degman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Hey hey, I'm Deg, I'm a mechanical engineering student working in the US (from canada though, and going to school there).
Into computer hardware, software, and anything involving the ocean or the west coast.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier, I'm a newbie to required introduction :P

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:53 am UTC

We don't have required introduction.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:56 am UTC

After introducing myself to and posting my first post in the Woman thread, which made me register here in the first place, I reckon the actual Intro thread is a good second one.

I'm Vera, a 23-year-old Dutch girl who moved to London for study reasons (MA) and is not planning to ever move back since I love England :) And Guinness. And chocolate.
I study art history, finished my BA last year in Amsterdam where I lived for a good 3 years. Lovely city, but I got tired of drug tourists and drunk Englishmen getting on the cycling path when I was trying to cycle home. Amsterdam has got SO much more to offer than drugs and booze, and I've really heard too much comments like "Yeah I've been to Amsterdam but I only remember the flight back and forth".

I got to know xkcd as a place where the public is generally sensible so I assume I don't have to explain I don't do drugs and I don't walk around on wooden shoes. I love my country, especially for having a generally laid-back mentality. It takes effort to get a Dutch person really wind up about something. We're cool. We tend to be a bit indifferent at times too.
However, since I'm an art history student in contemporary art, London nowadays is the place to be, and it's not too hard to find a good job here, so while I'm still young, I'd like to take a chance and see where faith brings me. As EU citizen, I'm as free as a bird anywhere in the EU anyway. It's brilliant :D

As a disclaimer: I tend to be a bit (read: very) insecure about language skills, so I hope my posts will not contain too much grammar and word mistakes. I'm very proud of my native tongue and I know how to use it well. English is comfortable, but not nearly as good.

also: xkcd rocks :mrgreen:
This too shall pass

Rhiever

Postby Rhiever » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Howdy all... long time fan of xkcd and Computer Science enthusiast here... how's everyone doing today? :)

joff

Postby joff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Joff is a nickname, a fair number of my friends probably don't know what my real one is :)

28 year old New Zealander, now living in Melbourne. Science degree, major in Comp. Sci, now been working as a software developer for.. a while now :-)

I play guitar and bass - completely self taught, and I'm fairly good at both.
I used to play piano when I was younger. I occasionally attempt drums, but I suck at them.
I like a lot of different kinds of music.

I like to read, but don't do so nearly often enough, especially having recently resumed after a long hiatus.

I like games, and all the usual other nerd/geek stuff.
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Mr. Timms

Postby Mr. Timms » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

My real name is Timothy, I live in Phoenix.
I am obsessed with AI and I want to program one some day.
I am an aspiring programmer.
I plan to make a compiler.
I am trying to make an entire language.
I plan on learning German and Sindarin in a few years.
I love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Calvin and Hobbes, and XKCD.
I'm going to major in architecture and possibly double minor in programming and linguistics.
I am writing a book.
Decker wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:You'll learn this around here. Everyone's pretty damn blunt.
I am not! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take a huge shit.

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Hello, my name is Brian. I'm 20 years old and currently study chemical engineering at Rutgers University. I've been looking for a moderately intelligent nook and/or cranny on the english muffin of stupidity that is the internet today and somehow I'm just now realizing there's a forum here.

I'm an avid gamer, both of the computer and console sort, and would like to try my hand at tabletop some day. I enjoy programming, mostly web development now with PHP, but I've done stuff with LISP, C++, and JAVA. I also watch a lot of movies, both mainstream and obscure, with my apartment-mates. Oddly enough, I love the outdoors, camping, hiking, et cetra, but my skin hates the sun unless it wears protection.

I really hate trying to describe myself without prompting. I just never know what to say and what people are going to find interesting. Feel free to ask anything you want. Anything at all Image

Edit: I'm going to start hanging around #xkcd too.
ImageImageImageImage

Bosonator

Postby Bosonator » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

regua wrote:Also, I do not like mangos.

Could you please be more specific? Can you point on this graph: http://xkcd.com/388/ to where you think the mangoes should be?

8)
God I can handle... it's His fan club that scares me.

DannysARocker

Postby DannysARocker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

Hello,

My name's Dan. I originally joined here just to tell the story of turning my ex's bedroom into a giant fort in the 'Grownups' discussion, but now I'm having problems with my parent's network so I figure I should introduce myself proper and start asking for some help.

I'm a 20 year old college drop-out, though I plan on going back next semester. I've been working 50+ hours a week for about half a year now, trying to save up some money to be able to afford the ridiculously-expensive music college I want to go to.

I'm a music freak; if I don't have music playing in the background I literally start twitching. My main musical focus is drumset and rudimental percussion, but I'm learning Latin hand percussion and mallet instruments and tons of other percussion stuff.

It's a pleasure to meet you all.

regua

Postby regua » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Bosonator wrote:
regua wrote:Also, I do not like mangos.

Could you please be more specific? Can you point on this graph: http://xkcd.com/388/ to where you think the mangoes should be?

Here you go: fuck grapefruit v2.0. With mangos.

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

'sup /b/ Hello peoples.

My name is Carl, i'm 18 years old and live in the swedish town of Falun. Longtime lurker, figured it was time to finally get an account.
Dunno what to write really, i guess i'm your average geek, i enjoy all kinds of videogames and whatnot. I'm heavily addicted to music, can't live without it, one rarely sees me without my headphones strapped to my head/around my neck. I play the guitar, mostly classical but electric as well. I can't sing for shit.
I am also one of few people suffering from Domophobia.

Hoping for a pleasant stay here!

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Well, I decided that I might as well introduce myself. I know it is a little late, I have a tendency to dive right into discussions.

Anyhow here it goes:
My name is John.
I am from Sacramento, CA.
I am 22 years old.
I am not clinically retard (sorry Sour Apple)
I am not insane, but not very sane either... so... yeah... have fun with that.
I am on hiatus from school while I finish probation at my job (just started at the State).
My interests range from computers to psychology to philosophy to english.
Torn between getting a CS degree and a Psych degree.
I was raised LDS (Mormon), but now I am Agnostic.
I am definitely a geek but most likely not as well versed in the fine arts of CS, physics, and mathematics as I should be.
My hobbies include: reading, hanging out with friends, writing, movies, anime, and video games.

I don't do this very often so the above is what I would consider most relevant. If I missed something let me know.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:I got to know xkcd as a place where the public is generally sensible so I assume I don't have to explain I don't do drugs and I don't walk around on wooden shoes.

We've got a club for that. The "Louisville Ganja Cloggers." We meet every Thursday. LGC's more than just drugs and clogging, though; It's a way of life. A complete philosophy of fellowship and brother/sisterhood, one that preaches love and tolerance for all mankind via dancing around in wooden soled shoes. And yeah.. My gear's solid oak, yo. Sure, it's got some silver inlay, but nothing flashy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jemfy

Postby Jemfy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Hey, I'm James and I'm new here, lurked a bit and got interested, read the forums for longer.

I'm a first year Physics student and predictibly enough interested in the majority of my course.

I'm also from a particularly dull and quiet corner of the England.

Return to “General”