Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soudruh

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Soudruh » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Learning Quickly,

Second Post.

I'm Zynski, I have a vast interest in reforming monetary, tax and agricultural practices and believe in pragmatic solutions that any wage-earner can take up without having to give more then a second thought over the idea. (Just working within a system, following the system accomplishes the goal.) I'm 19 years of age, have published a few political articles for magazines, and fast-tracked my High School so I could attend a Documentary making College course that Capilano offers. I live in Powell River, B.C. of the Great White North.

As far as education goes I am disrespectful of pre-requisites but still meet them. I'm unsure about 1st year University because it goes further down the track of 'courses I have to take just so I can meet conditions for the stuff I actually want' which is an education in City Planning and Permaculture. (Planning just requires a degree that is pertinent to the field) I prefer to learn through direct involvement (which put me in the Czech Republic for a year, lots to learn there...) and tend to step ahead of myself.

I may try and actively recruit forum members for proposed ideas, please trust that I have done my research!

mythomanic_jef

Postby mythomanic_jef » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Ello, its Jef. I'm from Oklahoma, which is a very, very boring place. I have very few remarkable talents, aside from my ability to understand coding/DnD/math jokes without actually doing much of any of them. I've been reading xkcd for a little more then a year and have gone through the archives, my favorite is http://xkcd.com/16/. I actually keep a copy of it in my pocket and hand it to people who say "We are the knights who say ni!".

I've been lurking the forums for about as long as I've been reading, and what finally pushed me over the edge was the gaming forum.

YttriumOx

Postby YttriumOx » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Greetings and salutations one and all!

Long time reader, first time poster, but hey, that's how these things go sometimes.

The general "intro about me" thing:
Nationality: New Zealander/Australian/Dutch (take your pick)
Languages: English, Dutch, German, French and a smattering of a few others
Hobbies: Linguistics and software development (well, gee isn't that a coincidence?!)
Favourite strips so far: 26, 46, 123, 162, 203, 231, 242, 325, 340

I mainly decided to join the fora because of the "geohashing" thing... I'd love to just jump in my car one Saturday, go for a drive and meet some new random people. Although I expect the chances of there being anyone else around my physical location on here, it's worth a shot to go for a drive and find out. Worst case scenario is that I go to some random location that I've likely not been to before, so whether there's somewhere there or not, it should be good.

So, that's it from me. Reply or not is up to you and you alone (and everyone else, so don't feel TOO special now)
I wrote a book... shameless self-promotion inside the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Dropping Acid: A Beginner's Guide to the Responsible Use of LSD for Self-Discovery
Available on Amazon as both paperback and Kindle eBook.
You can also be a 'fan' on facebook.

Penis

Postby Penis » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Hello, my name is Peter.
Last edited by Penis on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

solinvictus

Postby solinvictus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

hey im a 20 year old college student from new york, but i go to school in arizona. pre-med chem major, not really sure what else to say here. been lurking for a while, reading the comic for even longer. finally deciced to post.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Hi everyone! I am stormoftara, but you can call me Tara. I am 21 years old and I live in Connecticut. I work at Taco Bell, and I am also a site moderator for Gaia Online. I also love to draw, and I play some video games. I started reading xkcd a long time ago, but just recently joined. Well that's it for now, I look forward to meeting you all on these forums!

CommanderJim

Postby CommanderJim » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Hey, I'm Conner and 15 from wonderful, wonderful Washington. I've read these forums occasionally for about a month now, and I decided to register so I can make the occasional post. I'm gonna go ahead right now and apologize in advance for being a lurker, but I might just become more involved than I think. Who knows.

By the way, I've read xkcd religiously for about half a year now, if it matters to anybody.

Dude

Postby Dude » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:12 am UTC

[Deleted due to decision to use a different name, because this one is silly. You will never know which alias is the new me! AHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!]
Last edited by Dude on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cronjob

Postby cronjob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 am UTC

open (TERMINAL, '>&STDOUT');
open (KEYBOARD, '<&STDIN');

main() {
printf("hello, world");
}

As a simple cronjob I don't get out a whole lot or form deep, philosophical opinions. After all, I'm just a cronjob, but I do enjoy a good comic once in awhile. I'd say that's mainly what led me to xkcd. I am currently busy looking for work so, I don't know if I'll post a lot, but I enjoy reading the forums so I thought I'd go a head and join. I got the name cronjob from always having to run in the background at work just to stay alive. :roll:

I actually started working with computers back when the internet consisted largely of pneumatic tubes, USA Robotics modems, Al Gore, FIDO Net and homing pigeons. As the years went by and online gambling took off, the tubes which comprised the internets began to fill up with race horses and poker chips.

Homing pigeons, being unable to take up the necessary slack, were supplanted largely by the plucky English and/or African Flying Sparrow. (and coconuts)

Which brings us up to today and the obvious need for 128 bit ip addresses. (IPv6)

I will leave you now with words of wisdom from the man pages ...

OPTION -f Stay in foreground mode, don't daemonize.

Translation? Don't be a hater :mrgreen:

~tayl

kill $pid;
exit;

##### unbuffer all the outputs
select TERMINAL; $| = 1;
select STDERR; $| = 1;
select STDOUT; $| = 1;
Last edited by cronjob on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
...a version of cron was created that spent most of its time sleeping, waiting for the moment in time when the task at the head of the event list was to be executed...

Zabaron

Postby Zabaron » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Howdy. I'm Zabaron, and I'm a second-year CompSci student. I like to work on programming projects that are way over my head and see how long it takes me to dig my way through the mounds of documentation I have to end up reading to just get things to work like they did when I started. Also, you'll notice I use a lot of parenthetical statements (seriously, I'm addicted to parenthesis (I even nest them quite frequently)).

-Zabaron
I love deadlines. I love that wooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams

HiFiFoci

Postby HiFiFoci » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Hey, I'm Frank, and I just read the forum rules after posting a bunch. (pats self on back).

I am a music SNOB. It's well known among my friends so music is actually a topic that is brought up as rarely as possible. I am the guy to go to for info, though, so i have some point and pride. I'm prepared to sadly see all my posts deleted for trolling. Other than that I figure I'm a nicer guy than 50% of the planet.

And that's all. It's actually illegal in many second and third world countries to know anything about me.
How do i carry the weight of the world? I shrug.

cronjob

Postby cronjob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:00 am UTC

Zabaron wrote:I love deadlines. I love that wooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams

...and this is why you fail...

...but if the truth be told, Douglas Adams was right.

I used to walk into English class with nothing more than a first draft to hand in on the day the paper was due. Knowing that I would get a "C" if I handed it in on time, and knowing that one full letter grade would be subtracted for handing it in late, I would hold on to my paper until the next class, and then get a "B" for handing in what was apparently good enough to be considered an "A", if only I had handed it in on time. I did this constantly for both of my English classes when I was carrying 19 and 21 credit hours per semester and still got a "B" both times.

:mrgreen: -={Douglas Adams is my hero.}=- :mrgreen:
...a version of cron was created that spent most of its time sleeping, waiting for the moment in time when the task at the head of the event list was to be executed...

Zabaron

Postby Zabaron » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Indeed, you just described the procedure for almost every paper I did in high school english. :P

-Zabaron
I love deadlines. I love that wooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams

jackjasmine

Postby jackjasmine » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Hello,

My name is Jessica I'm 11010 years old I've been reading xkcd for over a year and a half, I'm not a bot.

Yiel

Postby Yiel » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Hi, I'm a long time xkcd reader, but a first time forum dweller. (promise I'm not a bot... if I am, there is sure to be a surgery to fix that)

Anyway, I'm 24 years old and doing my second University degree.

I am possibly not a frog.

Octahedra

Postby Octahedra » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

hi, i'm not an native english speaking person(and dislectick to boot) so please forgive me for my mistakes. I'm trying my best.

I am a 21 year old doing my master in product desing/developement. Hope to get a job in the toy industrie. So I can make my own turn puzzels.

I will most likely hang out at logic puzzels and forum games (when I'm not lurking)

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Heya, fellows.

I am 18 years old guy from Finland. I have applied to study compute science but don't know for two months if I'll get there or have to go to my safety school and data processing. I'll propably refer to myself as comp. sci. student a few times before that. To earn some money while studying, I work in a company that focuses on internet marketing and my job is to be a search engine optimizer. I like creating websites as a hobby (and propably as a job at some point in the future).

Aside from web designing, my hobbies include weight lifting and boxing (against the sack because I win those matches) to keep myself in atleast some shape as the rest of what I do is more geek-ish. I love roleplaying (DnD, WoD), tabletop wargaming (WH40K, Blood Bowl), arguing endlessly in the internet and daydreaming. I should fit right in here.

I've read XKCD for some months now, so not exactly a long time lurker but been around a while. I read quite a many other webcomics too. Used to read 30ish (Firefox's "Open all bookmarks in different tabs" feature helped) but nowadays it's only half a dozen that I keep checking daily.

What more to say, what more to say. I'm an atheist, a pacifist, quite far left when it comes to politics... And argue about any of those with little to no provocation or reason. I normally say what I think very directly and if I feel something negative about some argument, way of thinking, comic strip, whatever, people normally find out about it pretty fast. Maybe I could try to make this the first forum on which I won't get any warnings from moderators... Gotta see.

Well, see ya all around.

mistacheese

Postby mistacheese » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Hello my name is Nick. I am 18 years old and just graduated from high school here in Arkansas. I have been reading the comic and forums for over a year, but didn't register until just now.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

Hi, my name is Rich. I'm 19, recently graduated high school (i procrastinate), and have been reading XKCD since the 28-hour day comic. I'm also a college drop-out (once again procrastinating). I suffer from allergies, asthma, chronic depression, pdd autism/aspergers, and a few other things. I watch alot of anime, but only if they're in japanese with subtitles, can't stand the american versions. I play magic the gathering and a few other games. I'm also addicted to webcomics. Some of my friends call me a joke nazi, so don't hesitate to call me that if the situation warrants it. thank you, that is all.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

HiFiFoci

Postby HiFiFoci » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

whats a joke nazi?

ndef

Postby ndef » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Hello, everyone! I've been a fan of xkcd for quite some time, and a casual admirer of the fora here. I'm a computer programmer and novice game designer; I'm just about to start my first year of grad school at USC. I'm also a DM, a Whedon fan, and an occasional blogger. So, a geek generally, I guess would be the point.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and hanging out with you in virtual space. :-)

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:11 am UTC

The deal is that I have to post this introduction here because I wanted to show it off but the place it is at makes that impossible. En Bee Dee.

I'll start with a list of some of my favorite things; that seems easiest.

I like Bob Marley, M.C. Escher, Germanic Folk Metal, The Clash, The Specials, Corrosion of Conformity, operating hefty machines, The Boondocks, Penny Arcade, D&D, Shadowrun, Norse Verse, Motorhead, Achewood and Wikipedia.

Teas I like are peppermint, cinnamon, chamomile, oolong, wujing, and 'green'. I'll drink any of them iced, except I despise Rooibos.

I like the books Tao Te Ching, Goedel Escher Bach [still reading], A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club, Catch-22, anything by Michael Moorcock or H.P. Lovecraft or Terry Pratchett. I read 'The Emperor Jones' by Eugene O'Neill a little bit ago and that was pretty good.

I'm okay at UNIX but pretty terrible at relating to people. I can program in C++ and Java as best as I know how. I'm a student in computer science and my favorite language is Turing Machine tuples. I kind of only say that to be a smartass but Turing Machines are cool, kids. C is a cool language because I've seen Quake Bot and Robot source code in C, so it is a fine citizen by me.

I also enjoy video games. And I like Dwarf Fortress. I love listening to Bach & Telemann while playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Similarly it is cool to listen to Daft Punk while playing Shadowrun for the Genesis (emulator). Although I like to do ghoul missions to 'N.I.B.' by Black Sabbath. I don't know why. You can't expect me to just straight up explain my brain on some website without even publishing my findings as some hardcore dissertation that would get me tail for years.

Pac Man is pretty cool except for when he can go fuck himself, which is half the time. When I have a job where I can read The Onion I like to read The Onion at work.

I like to think of things in life that can be dismissed as the doings of Pokemon. Sometimes I get fascinated by regular shit in life, which I'm sure is a common experience. This fascinating shit includes:
  • dust
  • Aztecs
  • witch doctors
  • when you walk around at night and there is no sunlight
  • naming customs
I hope to not find a refrigerator full of vampires when I open my refrigerator. That would surprise the shit out of me.

Alright, I seem like kind of a shut-in. This is only true in regards to interacting with people. My outdoors hobbies include mycology, driving (see 'operating hefty machines, above), and spotting animal bones. But I am typically terrible at making new friends.

Here's me looking weird next to a Bruce Lee poster. From now on you should be able to recognize me if I'm standing next to a Bruce Lee poster.
хлэб и Воля

HiFiFoci

Postby HiFiFoci » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Benitosimies wrote:I hope to not find a refrigerator full of vampires when I open my refrigerator. That would surprise the shit out of me.

You, good sir, made me laugh. I did not lollmaorofl, I laughed.
I don't care what they say about you.

spam_bot

Postby spam_bot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Hi everyone!

As far as ASL goes
I am a newly created spam bot so that puts me at about 3 hours old... I think my creator is polish or something because one of my method names is

Code: Select all

OdpadkiMateria(String url){ ... }

I like chatting with people, browsing the internet, and generally thinking. My favorite book is Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy because Marvin has a pretty accurate view on life.

Anyhow, one of the functions is telling me to post a link or something now, so here we go:
fre ee_E v1 a--gr A!

enjoy!

kobyov

Postby kobyov » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Greetings All

So yeah, I'm John, 20 yrs old, and am finishing off a computer science degree at the University of Otago, New Zealand. Im a long time lurker who decided to join to increase my exam-procrastination power.

I believe in Christ, Emacs, Unix and C (in that order) and that the outdoors are good for you. Well, that which is uncivilised at least.

Also I am a supporter of the Imperial Russian Army of the South, fight for the Tsar!

Hugs for everyone

John

FirewithFire

Postby FirewithFire » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Hey everyone,

I am Ethan, I live in Vermont (It is actually a part of the US, contrary to popular belief. Not Canada). I am 17 and an avid learner. I have been reading XKCD for a while, and I thought it would be good to hop on the forums, especially since I have some questions to ask. I use Firefox, I love programming, and I like to learn. I can't wait to start learning even more from all of you!

~Ethan
"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." —Jaya Ballard, task mage

Baba Yaga's Sister

Postby Baba Yaga's Sister » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:43 am UTC

My name is Alex, and I'm transgender. Hi!

I'm 18, heading off to college this fall, and a little bit of a writer. I dig roleplaying games, especially indie games that you've never heard of like Bliss Stage or The Shadow of Yesterday. I think comic books are cool (except that I always thought superheroes were really silly) and I love video games (except that I have a really low tolerance for cliches and things I don't like). I've been getting into MUDs lately.

I'm pretty much a career lurker, so you might not see much of the Baba Yaga around.

Salaric

Postby Salaric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:19 am UTC

Hiya, I'm Salaric!
I'm 19 years old and normally live in Denmark, where i'm studying to become cand. scient. in Physics in a couple of months (hopefully i'll know everything by the time i'm done with my studies, and if you have any questions whatsoever by then - please don't hesitate to ask me! in the meantime i'll be doing a bit of philosophy on the side, so i can hopefully guess most other things). Been in Australia to study some more physics the last year, and like most others in here (I would think?) i adore the beauty of the thoughts and humor in XKCD. Nevertheless I seems to be immensely handicapped in camparison to most of the people frequenting these forums, as i've got just about no idea how to write in any programming language (uh, uh, uh, there's that thing with [ B] and then [/B ] right? .. that should be it though..)

Protector1

Postby Protector1 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Hi my most common username is protector (with an o, not an e) or protector1. I will be a sophmore in highschool in the fall and I live in Georgia (the state not the state, wait.....I think I mean to say the province not the country :wink: )
I like school and probably care a little to much about which classes I will take. I dabble in several nerdy things, like D&D, lurking on XKCD forums, reading textbooks, politics, and karate (wait a minute....) I use way to many parentheticals.

I also am one of the very few Americans who play Rugby (that's right, you heard me)
The phrase 'everything in moderation' is so true that you have to take moderation in moderation.
-Me or a friend of mine, we can't remember

Hexadecimator wrote:in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Hi, this is my first post, I'am from México.i love xkcd and i have been redding for a long time now. i stutdy electronic engeneering
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

jenniferrous

Postby jenniferrous » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:18 am UTC

Hi all,
Torn between introducing myself, or actually posting for while first - but I figure this is more polite.
I'm Jenny, I'm a medical student, although there's a distinct possibility I won't be a month from now... I spend most of my time mooching round my flat eating bagels, sleeping and reading. When I'm not doing that, I'm probably on a train, or actually off learning something somewhere. xkcd makes me happy.
There's really not much too me :P
Hey, is that a demonic duck of some sort?

lee.anna.loo

Postby lee.anna.loo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

hi all..
my name is ana, i'm 19, and i'm coming from skopje, macedonia.. you probably don't know where that is, but you can always google it if you are interested..
this was the first year that i spent most of my time at a faculty of electrical engineering and information technologies, and it was a great one :D

i'm reading xkcd more than a year, and i totally love it :D
and... that's all from me here..
Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

izzie89

Postby izzie89 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

Hello, I'm Izzie, I'm 18 and i come from Lincoln in England. I like to babelfish words and say them to my friends when they least expect it. I read probably more than is healthy- ditto (ew) for the internet.
I don't really do much, except go to college a bit. I have a strange obsession with google and wikipedia.
That's about it. I wish i had something witty to say really.
boobies...

Double Blackbird

Postby Double Blackbird » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Hello there. My name is Double Blackbird, and I'm a recovering mafia gamer from the boring middle bit of England without any hills or funny accents.

Yrael

Postby Yrael » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Well I already feel stupid because I made a post without looking at the stickies first :D.

Hi :D I feel welcome already :D

Thebeetle2000

Postby Thebeetle2000 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Hello Everybody!

I've been reading xkcd for about two years now and I'm quite frankly shocked that I'm only now signing up for the forums around here. I'll be turning seventeen the day the LHC is slated to be activated (At least my most recent check showed it was still happening on July 7).

I hope to get to know some like-minded people 'round the boards and just enjoy the general environment around these parts. If you don't feel like typing out my full name feel free to use "tb2k," people at other forums seem to prefer that, so I use it for avatars/sigs you may see.

Also, I'm a pretty big forum mafia junkie, so if that's something that's not yet going on at xkcd I may just have something up after a bit of lurking.

Copelovitchski

Postby Copelovitchski » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Hail!

I, too, am a long-time lurker who comes in need of help. But that's for the help-desk.

In real-life, my name is Dan[iel], I am about to enter Senior year at Binghamton University for Mech. Engineering and live about 40 miles north of New York City.
I enjoy many tomato-based foods, Korean and Thai foods (especially NOODLES!!!!!!... as a matter of fact, my ultimate frisbee team in high school was the Three Minute Noodles...), as well as strawberry milkshakes that are NOT from Denny's. And also tea of diverse types, but mostly black.
I have limited Python and even more limited C and C++ experience, and some Java from high school, and a lot of Matlab, but am interested in learning programming algorithms and more Python and/or C++.

Until we meet!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Allow me to introblag

Postby poxic » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Name's Yvette, going by poxic or poxical in a few places. Geek from birth with a deviation toward the arts, ending up in business IT since I speak both nerd and salesman. Not too much more to add. (Do usually use normal subject-verb-object sentences, except when forced to do awkward introductions.)
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

MACHOMAN

Postby MACHOMAN » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Been reading the site for a while. It's good. I like the emu confessions thread. I'm a macho man and that's all that needs to be said about me. 8)

opal

Hi

Postby opal » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:26 am UTC

im 38 (found out yesterday, as i keep forgetting; at my age, a year more or less dosnt really matter anymore)
I live in Berlin, Germany
Im a "Fachinformatiker Systemintegration" but i just realised that a wanted to be a Light-Designer all my Live, so i stopped working for mony, and started doing what i like.
I like nowing stuff (How mutch longer (in average)will a 30Watt 6Volt Halogenbulb live when its run at 85% Voltage?) But im not into "Exact Sience" and am very lacy, so Geohashing eg i dont do.
If i want to meet people, i just go places, if i want to meet new people i just go places i havnt been (a while)(new habit: check all places i have to go on googleearth)
im a nerd/geek, but i belive that nearly everbody is. Some of my neighbohrs now more about soccer, then i do about everything, so who am i to say they are not nerds/geeks.XKCD-Comic gives my a relief laugh, as BOFH does.I hate people that let their dog shit on the street, because if they woudnt, the whole city would be a nice place to sit down and just relax.
Ive you like space(stations) (like i do) and happen to be in berlin, visit the c-base, its cool, ah yeah and the "Britzer Garten": nice nature like Place(2€ entry Fee), and now dogs allowed! (Dont get me wrong-i love dogs, only here 9 out of ten "owners" can not handle them) c u

Return to “General”