Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bogglesteinsky

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby bogglesteinsky » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 am UTC

Hey there

been reading the comics for ages, lurking on the forums for a while now. Registered because of the interesting things happening in the logic puzzles section.

I'm a Computer Science Graduate from the UK, currently working as a Software developer in Swansea coding in .Net

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 am UTC

Hmm, nobody's stopped by to say hello to the new people on the fora for a while...

"Hello, hope you enjoy yourselves with the posting and stuff!"
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

Hilol.

I'm a CS Bachelor's student in Estonia, a WoW nerd, involved in the creative writing scene and a verified canine sports-type...person. :> Been reading the comic off and on for a while now, just went through the whole archive (finally comprehending most of it and finding it highly amusing after my Physics/Math/programming courses) since I currently work at the highly demanding post of monitoring/helpdesk and generally get paid for doing nothing all day. Joined the forum since the people here seem to be generally fascinating and highly amusing! Cheers.
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

earachefl

Postby earachefl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Hi, I'm prolly the oldest guy on this board from my admittedly short perusal of this thread... currently studying IT/programming in a hopefully fruitful attempt at changing careers.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Hello. My name is Clay. I am a biology student in Providence, Rhode Island.
"When a cat walks down the street in a hat like that, people know that he's not afraid of anything."

DougBTX

Postby DougBTX » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

22/m/UK, recent physics graduate, who leaves short intro thread posts. And likes smilies :mrgreen:

henre
Location: A healthy soul clings to a healthy spirit and a healthy body.

Postby henre » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Iconoclast wrote:Hello. My name is Clay. I am a biology student in Providence, Rhode Island.

hey man. ever see a band called gruvis malt? they're from providence. crazy good.
An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside: stars, and the moon.

ʇɟıɥs sı ʎɹʇ oʇ ʇɟǝl ƃuıɥʇ ʎluo ǝɥʇ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

henre wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:Hello. My name is Clay. I am a biology student in Providence, Rhode Island.

hey man. ever see a band called gruvis malt? they're from providence. crazy good.

Yeah, I love them. One of the members (Gavin Castleton) has some solo albums that are pretty good too.
"When a cat walks down the street in a hat like that, people know that he's not afraid of anything."

Phlakaton

Postby Phlakaton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Greetings!

I'm just a guy who reads xkcd. Cause his girlfriend makes him. No, in truth she only had to prod him a little. xkcd had him for good at http://xkcd.com/224/.

I like Lisp fine, but I use C++ and Python. Someday I might "get" Haskell, and at that point I will no doubt metamorphose into my next form. A fruit bat, perhaps.

In addition to coding, I sing in local Renaissance choirs. And was a church organist for a brief stint, somewhat recently. Is music essentially invariant when transposed to a different key? I have my theories.

I made a raid on NPR's music archives last weekend. I emerged from the weekend bleary-eyed and hooked on Sufjan Stevens, Minus the Bear, and Alberta Cross. The CDs I ejected from my player to make room for these were Wolfmother, Anuna, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. You can no doubt see from this that I am a Sensitive Artist.

See you on the forums!
:- Phlakaton

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 am UTC

Hi

I'm a student in the U.K. on the 2nd year of a 4 year maths degree. I was first persuaded to read xkcd earlier this year, whereupon I read the entire archive and got no sleep that night. Now checking the latest comic is the first thing I do every Mon/Wednes/Friday, or more often very late Sun/Tues/Thursday night.

As well as maths and webcomics, I enjoy video games, programming in Java and going to bed at 4am. I normally get up in the afternoon; if I have to do something in the morning it's easiest just to not go to bed.

Smithers
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

henre
Location: A healthy soul clings to a healthy spirit and a healthy body.

Postby henre » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Iconoclast wrote:
henre wrote:

Yeah, I love them. One of the members (Gavin Castleton) has some solo albums that are pretty good too.

haha. I'm facebook friends with Gavin. :D Not that it'll do me any good... I sincerely doubt they'll ever come to South Africa. And I dunno if i'm going to the US anytime soon... Either way, they're a phenomenal band and they've influenced my music to an amazing extent, considering I've only heard like 10 songs.
An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside: stars, and the moon.

ʇɟıɥs sı ʎɹʇ oʇ ʇɟǝl ƃuıɥʇ ʎluo ǝɥʇ sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Xaldibik

Postby Xaldibik » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

Hello, I am a highschool student and former lurker of Serious Business and News. Finally decided to register and toss my ideas into the ring with people who actually know what they're talking about(As opposed to the other forums I seem to frequent).

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Hi,

I'm Mark. I'm fairly recent to the world of XKCD, (reading for about a month...) and just recently discovered all of the other tidbits this site has to offer. I currently work in a community college running a photo dept. and I'm a musician... so i'm pretty much a full time photo geek and music snob. Other than that, I do a lot of other stuff, but there's a lot to include, so I'll just leave that out untill I get to know some of you folks...

pcmattman

Postby pcmattman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Morning all,

I'm Matthew, been reading xkcd for almost a year now. Only yesterday did I find the store and these forums. I'm currently a student, no real job (other than freelance programming). Things I do in my spare time include programming (big things like operating systems and game engines), web development (PHP, mainly), flying virtually (woot for the simulators), and running WikiForAll. Somewhere in between all that I actually get homework and assignments done...
WikiForAll - because you know you want to.

Fin Samar

Postby Fin Samar » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 am UTC

I'm Ivan.

I've been reading xkcd for ___ amount of time, etc. I go to high school and like to rubber neck while driving because I hate missing scenery. I also like to MST movies that just came out and annoying people and talk back to people in theaters because I guess I'm a dick.

hal0phile

Postby hal0phile » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 am UTC

I'm Lauren. I'm 21, and about to finish up a degree in Anthropology. I was originally a music industry and digital media major...but we won't go there. I love XKCD, and i've been reading it since i discovered it a loooong time ago. I just never bothered to finally register, but hey, I'm bored now. And I love forums.

Even though I have read every XKCD comic in the archives, i only discovered the hovertext on them recently. So i went back through them all, again. It's kind of a hobby of mine...reading every archived webcomic on the internet. if i could get paid to do this, i would be on a small pacific island with people fanning me all day.

DaymItzJack

Postby DaymItzJack » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:56 am UTC

I'm Andrew, I'm 16 and I'm not sure "who I am." I like math, numbers, and coding.

jmattmacd

Postby jmattmacd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:29 am UTC

Hi everybody,

My name is Matt and I amd a 28 year old fella from Sunderland in England.

I read xkcd pretty compulsively as I work in IT so have nothing better to do as most folks give up trying to have us fix their problem after being told it will be done by the end of the day the third or fourth time. And of course theres always the good old procedure of getting people to follow long and involved procedure that results in them having to restore their exchange store so they learn not to bother us on a monday, wednesday or friday.

I live in two worlds. One is strange and bewildering where nothing makes sense and the people are all hateful and crazy. The rules of physics dont apply there (case in point, I am a keen cyclist and am pretty sure I live at the lowest point on the planet as everywhere I have ever ridden has been uphill. There and back. If any physicist can explain this phenomenon i would love to hear from you). The other world is a little weirder and only seems to exist when I am trying to get to sleep for four hours as I have something important to do in the morning. Whenever I get these circumstances right I end up in a world inhabited by people who like me as well as sentient ships (thank you Iain M. Banks) as well as, very occasionally, the guy with the cheese from Buffy. Havent quite worked out what my brain is trying to tell me with that last part, but I assume it has something to do with cheese, hair loss, lesbian witches or some sort of tumor.

Well thats me.

Ani_from_the_south

Postby Ani_from_the_south » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Ahem, so I guess I should introduce myself... I'm a twentyish linguistics major, currently living in this faraway land called Germany. I'm sort of a lurker, so you won't hear much from me anyway :-). So long!..

geb

Postby geb » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Dare I lower myself and post in the newbie introduction thread, rather than just sheepishly sneaking in whilst no one is paying attention? I suppose I'd best.

I'm a Scottish student of Maths, and have just finished my third year of a five year degree. I'm currently in the middle of a summer project involving hyperbolic tessellations and PostScript. Having never programmed before a day in my life, it is proving to be interesting.

I love how I'm perfectly willing to end the post here, as if that's all there is to my life. There's more, honest.

guizzy

Postby guizzy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Oh, ok, it's not my first post, but here goes.

I'm a technical support technician with a slight case of OCD.

I chose my gum in gum packs according to a pattern. It isn't always the same pattern, but there has to be one.

If taking only one stick from the pack cannot work with my pattern, I will take two, even if I only feel like chewing one.

Biosynth

Postby Biosynth » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Ok then.

I'm Nick, i like skateboarding, video games, lighting things on fire using Rube Goldberg machines and other rather obscure methods, incense, and improvising deadly weapons (I once made one of my friends bleed with a chopstick, a straw, and a rubber band), Airsoft and paintball are also fun. I am currently in New York, posting this comment. I may be driving to Chicago in a couple of days, which I will detest every second of the trip if we go.

londonanimal

Postby londonanimal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Hey up,

Name's Dan, nearly 26 from London, England. Found xkcd through Dinosaur Comics, and am now a firm fan of both... thou the programming comics go over my head (seriously, when did things get more complex than ZX Spectrum BASIC? :-)

Guizzy spoke of OCDy behaviour above, well with sweets like M+M's and Malteaser I have to eat them either 3 at a time, or 5 at a time, or the world may end. It's a massive weight on my shoulders.

Postby haut » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

I'm Ryan, a 25 year old engineer working in R&D for a large company in the southeast US. I enjoy building my own speakers and listening to music. For music, I like mainly indie rock, classic rock, early blues, instrumental bluegrass, and baroque. My wife and I have 2 cats, which is like having our own live nature documentary. I found the comic through slashdot and have read it for a few months - I recently discovered the fora and joined for serious business (yay for intelligent, civil discussion!) but will probably enjoy the rest as well.

Ansible

Postby Ansible » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I'm Craig, a high school student in Dallas.

I'm not sure when or how I found xkcd, maybe it found me. All I remember is being on the internet, and three hours later, I had read through the entire xkcd archive.

I like to program, design (usually for web), and if I get a decent camera, I'll also be looking into photography. Things that keep me from committing boredom include Firefly, storms, Futurama, and science. Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, hence the username. As far as gaming goes, I like StarCraft, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy (III), with Portal being one of the few, newer games that I thought was good. Also, Richard Feynman is my hero.

Hi.

Moobly

Postby Moobly » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I'm Chris. I'm a24 y/o Irishman, schooled for 10 years in the U.S., returned to Ireland and now living in Tokyo. Imagine the language barrier I find myself running into. Anyways I'm attending university here for a general computer science degree. I've been a fan of the comic for quite sometime now, and have been lurking around here for quite sometime. And it's 3am...I just completely lost the train of thought, so I'll leave you with that I guess...
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -Aldous Huxley

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Hi -

I've been reading the comic and lurking the forums for a while now, and finally just decided to register on the forums.
um.. I'm 18? I do a lot of reading, and a good variety of things on the computer. I'd give myself about a 2 on my ability to describe myself.
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Blue Beta

Postby Blue Beta » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Hey, My name is Musa Ghaznavi. Google me, and you wont be surprised.

Danamania

Postby Danamania » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:40 am UTC

My name's Dana, and I've been in a long term relationship with a Deinonychus for about 25 years. I'm a Mac geek, somewhat art geek, photoshopper, and general all round nerd gal. Also, I appreciate most geekery in general. I'm a longtime reader of the comic, barely noticed the forums until a month ago - but here I am now.

Dana

ADevil4LostBoys

Postby ADevil4LostBoys » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:01 am UTC

Hello, My name is Jessica ((But my friends call me "JimmyLad" or "Poison")). I'm a 17 year old high school senior from Ohio. I enjoy setting things on fire & solving mathematical equations. (I'm a geek :mrgreen:). I hope to go to college to become an astronomer, mathematician, geologist or meteorologist and hopefully wind up working at NASA when I get older.

I have a Aussie Shepard/Mutt mix named "Mutt-Mutt", a Flat-Rock scorpion named "Jukka", and an Emperor Scorpion named "Tykö". I have a tattoo on my ankle of an Emperor Scorpion with a Lily flower in memory of my previous 2 scorpions, "Valo" and "Cricket-Licket". I absolutely love Scandiavian Rock music such as HIM, The 69 Eyes (Their songs "Devils" and "Lost Boys" inspired my user name), Turbonegro, Uniklubi & Deathstars, but I also enjoy listening to any other type of music (mostly rock). Some of my other favorite bands are Bloodhound Gang, Three Days Grace & Federal Moguls.

I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now, and finally decided to sign up :D Yay me!

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Hola everybody, my name is Samantha, I'm 22 and I live near Boston. I just found xkcd last week and I think I'm in love with Randall.

Other than that, I'm an unemployed art nerd who loves a math comic even though anything more complicated than multiplication makes my eyes cross.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Hey all,
Sorry about that but my first post was in a different forum.
I'm a 20 year old male from Maine. I'm a secondary education major specializing in mathematics. I run cross-country, eat nachos, unicycle, mountain climb, white-water kayak, chew bubble gum, and do this thing called living. It's quite interesting actually and I reccomend it to all. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.
-SithPirateKnight
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

Al Creed

Postby Al Creed » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:57 am UTC

I'm Al. I'm 24 years old and live in Ontario, Canada. Currently, I'm an Honour's History student in my last year of University. I enjoy collecting action figures, terrible TV shows about ghosts and supernatural/paranormal stuff, the occasional tabletop wargame, and Pixel Art.

Even though I really, really like xkcd, I must admit that Math is my mortal enemy. However, I really enjoy language as well, and George Orwell's "Politics of the English Language" is one of my favourite written works. I also must commend this board on its proactive approach to stamping out The Rickroll.

freosan

Postby freosan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Hi there.

I'm a student at university, studying computer engineering with a minor in Japanese. My hobbies include waaaaay too much fandom, conlang creation, cosplay/sewing, and pretending that someday I'll get published. And I'm another of the folks who's constantly saying 'Hey xkcd, get out of my head'.

Just registered because, well, I lurk enough that it seemed almost impolite not to have an account.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Hullo everybody, my name is Alexander. I'm 18, and has just finished the swedish equivalent to high school. Come autumn I will begin studying chemistry, and will continue doing so for another 5.
Because phlogiston.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

hey there, names Galen (it's Irish, as am I . . . kind of), I am currently a student and have no job, I actually found xkcd through ICHC (thats I Can Has Cheezburger for you non lolcat types) I had seen the comic linked to before and had read some comics but one day I finally started to look through the comic and fell in love. I have a deep love of numbers and computers and am interested in language so I guess I actually have a place here.

Anyway, that's who I am.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Hello,

I am Gaël, a 22 years old student currently doing an internship in statistics applied to biology. If two administrations can settle their squabbles before September, I will start a PhD in brain-computer interface signal classification next year.Currently, I live in one of paris' suburbs.

I started reading xkcd this year, lurked some on the forum then thought I could answer someone's question in the gaming forum. Even though I like reading the forums, I expect my contribution to be limited due to my lack of command of the english language.

Festermeyer

Postby Festermeyer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Hey,

I'm a long-time lurker of xkcd. I'm a physics major in college, and in my spare time, I read xkcd and such. Um... I like ruminating about life and existence, taking long walks to nowhere, and trying to develop the world's first waterproof taco. (It's very much in the conceptual stage...) I probably won't post much, but I thought I'd say hi. I owe xkcd comics for sucking many an hour away from studying for my midterms a year ago and for quite a few satisfied visits to the site since.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:59 am UTC

I'm self-employed, up way too late, and am a fan of most things xkcdish. I play WoW, read books, and wonder when my friends will move to my area so I don't have to pretend that the internet is a viable substitute for a social life.

I live in central North Carolina, in the country, and am praising whoever invented the cell modem, for dialup was slowly driving me up the figurative wall. I'm self-employed doing stuff, in trade for money, for people.

Arp1033

Postby Arp1033 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:34 am UTC

Hey!
I have been reading XKCD for a little while, and I generally tend to stay away from the forums, but I was hanging out with my friend, and he showed me this forum. Seeing as the current ones I tend to frequent have all but died, I have decided to migrate to here. I am unemployed, although I attend Humboldt State University during all other seasons.

I like reading books a bit, although I try to stay away from books that everybody is reading, and head more towards those books which have been. I have done my best to prepare for an upcoming zombie apocalypse, and I am a firm believer that pirates are better than ninjas. See you all around, I guess...

Return to “General”