Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cryofdragon

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Cryofdragon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Hey folksies long time reader first time clicking the forums link. sup?

As far as intros go, I'm a Madisonian (that is, the city, and not other things). I'm currently attending MATC (the area tech collage(generals at a tech collage=cheaper)), and will be transferring into UW Madison, at which point I intend to study stuff, as well as things.

As for other stuff UMMMM I'm 20, jobless (well, student), and quite broke. I guess the three (or four) go hand in hand really.

Any more than that well uh I'm the proud owner of a 1" tall, metal Batman figurine which was made in China in 1992, which I mention because it occupies a position of importance atop my monitor. So I guess that's it unless you want to know my favorite brand of energy drink which would be creepy (OK so it's Sobe No Fear and it's like the only energy drink that doesn't taste like what I would imagine pee to taste like, also I drink a lot of diet Dr. Pepper).

OK I'm done now.

Asmody

Postby Asmody » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Hello to everyone who's still reading the intro thread. (I'm assuming that this means a small cohort of newbs and interested persons.) I'm a biology nerd of the female persuasion biding my time in southeast Wisconsin until the end of summer, when I will go back to college in not-so-southeast Wisconsin. (It's interesting that I've arrived along with a small cluster of Wisconsinites. Are we overrepresented today?)

I'll probably be found most often in Science, Language, and High Culture threads, because my interests lie there, rather than in, say, math or heated debating.

Less importantly, I have a small ceramic goose standing guard over my computer and looking surly. I have named him Turk. Because he is painted turquoise.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am UTC

Asmody wrote:Less importantly, I have a small ceramic goose standing guard over my computer and looking surly. I have named him Turk. Because he is painted turquoise.

Wow, even ceramic geese look surly. Good to know. I have a small plastic lizard... his name is Ralph... umm, not because he is painted ralphquoise. He sits around a computer too!
oh yes, btw ~welcome all~
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Pan9

Postby Pan9 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Pan (Peter really), lovin the site and it looks like a good place.

xixheartxyoux

Postby xixheartxyoux » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Hi there!!

My name is Jessica. I'm a 20 year old college student. I'm a math major with a minor in history. I intend to go to graduate school for math for my PhD.

Personally, I'm a hopeless romantic and an eternal optimist. I like watching old movies when I can't sleep (which is often) and getting buried in a complex math problem.

:)

“The highest form of pure thought is in mathematics”--Plato

RikaLovesDie

Postby RikaLovesDie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

I am a soon-to-be mother (in roughly three weeks) and likely less educated than most here. I did my time in high school and even picked up an AA at the local community college, but haven't done much since then. I work for a rather popular company within the gaming industry (don't ask which--I won't tell) and therefore find myself relating pretty easily to the majority of xkcd. I met up with Randall at ComiCon this weekend and got him to do a sketch on a onsie for our upcoming baby, so I'll be sure to post some pictures of that once the baby grows into the onsie (it's a 6-9mo size).

I'm currently on maternity leave and bored out of my mind, so I'll probably be fairly present in the next few weeks, but don't expect that to continue once the baby is born.
Oh me yarm PURPLE! <--Approved by Hammer

FrailAndBedazzled

Postby FrailAndBedazzled » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Hi. I'm Kevin.
I enjoy fudge, a ridiculous amount and variety of music, baking, cooking, blueberry iced coffee, iced coffee in general, coffee in any way shape or form that doesn't have too much sugar in it, giraffes, dinosaurs, anything pumpkin or apple flavored or scented, webcomics, my boyfriend, movies, well-written musicals, visciously tearing apart inferior works of stage and screen, singing, anything involving a stage, and dying my hair in many and varied colors and hues (currently a fading red that will turn pink and green come Saturday). I live in Boston and go to college in NYC. I plan to become a high school English/drama teacher.
I'll be posting here whenever I remember, which should be often enough.
Make a whole new religion
A falling star that you cannot live without
And I'll feed your obsession
There is nothing but this thing that you'll never doubt

AzraelFish

Postby AzraelFish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Right, introducing myself.... Well...my name is Fish, (it really is!), and I use 'AzraelFish', or some slight variation, because Azrael sounds vaguely similar to my first name. And it's the Hebrew word for the Angel of Death. =] I'm 18, just finished high school, and I live in that gap between San Fransisco, and Seattle (that's right. Oregon...). A friend of mine told me about xkcd...yesterday? So I stayed up 'til 6am reading them all, then went on to look through the forums--I already feel quite certain I'm going to LOVE this site. =D
Anyway...about myself. I was on the math team, and in brain bowl. I spent a few years acting. Like, in hs. Not so much my senior year, 'cause that's when I finally got into band, (I dropped AP Calculus, for Wind Ensemble--yeah, I know...). I play tenor sax, and guitar. Oh, and harmonica. I like classic rock, especially--I've made a point of collecting every single Beatles' song ever released, and a couple dozen or so that never were...and then I find out a few weeks ago that I'm short about 20 songs! Grr.... In addition to the classic stuff, I've also found a taste for some of the more modern music--skip the '90's, 'cause most of that was crap, but most of the last few years has been alright. I like pretty much anything but country, and rap. And even some rap is okay.... But only at 90 mph on the freeway. =D
Anyway. I've always really like math, and Physics. For a while, my intended major was Physics, with a minor in Mathematics. But...in the last year or so, I've found myself immensely interested in the law, and legal structures...so that's where I'm at now. I'll be going to SOU in a couple months, with a Pre-Law focus, because their closest major is Criminal Justice.... I wanted to learn Latin, but they haven't got it at SOU. And I already failed Spanish once.... And I just took three years of German. So my other choices...are French, and Japanese. I'm thinking French--it seems like it'd be better for impressing girls. Unless they're Asian...hmm....
Ok...now I'm trying to think of other things...I didn't learn to read, until second grade. And then I never liked to, until about fifth. Then I found the Lord of the Rings.... My favourite authors are, probably, Tolkien, Robert Jordan, and Terry Pratchett. Oh, and John Grisham--I started reading his books last Summer, and decided they were amazing, (yay, law-based fiction!). Since I've started to like reading, I've tried to be as grammatically correct about everything as possible. For those who may have wondered...the extended ellipse, with four dots, (....), is, in fact, correct. It serves the same purpose as a regular ellipse, it just comes at the end of the sentence. If it's at the end of a paragraph, you add one more.....
But yeah. I think that might be about it, for me...oh! I smoke a pipe. Like, for tobacco. You can't deny it--pipes are awesome! Also, the newest video game system I have is the N64--Zelda all the way, yo!
Ok. Now...I think that's all I've got, for this post. I'm sure I'll think of something else to add within several seconds of clicking, 'submit'.

Korkskrew

Postby Korkskrew » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Hello. I'm a huge lurker and probably won't post very much at all.

Okay bye.

Jorsh!

Postby Jorsh! » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 am UTC

My name has never really been Jorsh!, but when people use it on occasion, I swear it really does have an exclamation point.

I am very nearly a teacher, a decision I made after two years of work as the sole reporter at a community newspaper in northern B.C. Though I officially have an English degree (as well, of course, as my BEd.), I try to know a great many things about a great many things. I grew up in the mountains, as a Boy Scout, and to this day swear by my Victorinox Huntsman. I also never got over my childhood love for science, particularly in paleontology, biology and zoology.

I ride my bike for at least an hour every day, hike and camp when I'm able, rock climb when there's rock to climb, and read, write and cartoon much of the rest of the time. I own hundreds of books, CDs and movies. I only own the one guitar, but it's a Flambeau steel-string, so I'm OK with that.

And you know what? It's always bothered me how hard it usually is to indent paragraphs on the internet.
Eggnog stick!

HeartOfFocus

Postby HeartOfFocus » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Hello there, xkcdians.

So I was introduced to the comic by a very good friend, who also insisted that I read and join the forums.
I grumbled and groaned about the general dislike of forums and people with names like "OmGHenta1.I'm13andwantpeopletothinki'mmanly" But they insisted that these fora were different. They would be... Intelligent!

After a few lovely reads about raptors, resonance of soup, and something strange known only as OkCupid, I must join the ranks myself and begin what is sure to be a horrifying addiction to this community.

As far as some personal details for all you stalker types, I'm a sophomore in college, studying Theater Arts and Design. I want to teach theater and direct, as well as design sets, props, and costumes on the side. I am OBSESSED with music in all it's forms, and once, when my iPod caught fire, I though my life would burn without it.

Yay!

drock

Postby drock » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

rutebega wrote:Hi, I'm a person, and I'll be posting here.

welcome, anakin.
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

Prika

Postby Prika » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

Well, here goes nothing.

I'm Prika. This is the very first forum I have ever ever participated in. Ever. I'm a huge fan of xkcd, even if I don't always understand the strip. I'm still mourning the loss of Pavarotti. I have killed every basil I have ever tried to grow. 'nuf about me.
* Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkeness sobered, ... but stupidity lasts FOREVER. *

hassellhoff

Postby hassellhoff » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

xixheartxyoux wrote:Hi there!!

My name is Jessica. I'm a 20 year old college student. I'm a math major with a minor in history. I intend to go to graduate school for math for my PhD.

Personally, I'm a hopeless romantic and an eternal optimist. I like watching old movies when I can't sleep (which is often) and getting buried in a complex math problem.

any chance your a heavy reader of dean koontz?

i believe the term "hopeless romantix and an eternal optimist" is directly out of one of his books... describing a female character
Exenon wrote: I play Call of Duty. That's for real men ! :mrgreen:

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

xixheartxyoux wrote:Hi there!!

Hey, join the college club! I was gonna major in math until I realized I'd rather do music. So I switched to music, until I realized I wouldn't have a job. But I couldn't give up music, so I just tacked on an extra major in econ. Beautiful.

But I'm also a hopeless romantic. Not quite an eternal optimist, but not far from the mark.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Hi there. I'm LinuxPenguin. I've been a reader of the comic / blag for a long time, but i've never gotten 'round to registering in the forum.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:42 am UTC

HI, I'm Eric, 22 years old and will be graduating with a math degree this December (unless I somehow screw the pooch and fail my ODE class). I guess I fall into the long-time lurker, first time poster category. I hate these introduction type things, so I don't really have too much more to say.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

AtomicCow

Postby AtomicCow » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Salutations, I'm AtomicCow, most bb's I'm at call me AC or Cow. Long, long time reader. But when I had my own computer I was either else where on the internets, or coding in C++/#. So I didn't add these forums to my large arsenal of procrastination tools.

I just finished my junior year, I'm taking a year hiatus for various personal reasons. I'm a amateur comedian, and I'm chasing my bachelor's in Computer Science currently. I plan to move to Germany with my cousin who's in the U.S. Army currently after I graduate. With that as my base of operations I will travel across Europe with my best friend for a few months. Then I plan to achieve my masters in C.S. and attain a job in the gaming industry.

Right now I'm just getting a lot of things off my plate before I finish college. Mostly I'm in my hometown of Toledo, OH hanging out with friends and working a part-time job with an occasional comedy job. I'm overly laid back. It's actually laziness. Or a mild case of autism. Whatever. I like to laugh and have serious discussions about why flannel is the greatest clothing ever conceived, and it's messiah is Al Borland.

But enough about me, lets talk about you. Someone with an eye-patch must have at least one great story to tell.

Ousia

Postby Ousia » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Yo, I'm an 18 year old sophomore at SJC in Annapolis, in case anyone cares.

I will post here from time to time.

feminaexlux

Postby feminaexlux » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 am UTC

This is a mighty long thread.
Feminaexlux, present. The hacked Latin is "Woman from the light" - sort of like Deus Ex Machina except not. 20 now, sagittarius, dating, doing my own comic but waiting for the 5 post rule before I go "HAY WEBSITE" on y'all.

I'm in So Cal.

I like some of XKCD, I joined mostly because I'm a dual booting Luserette, and wanted to post on the "Cautionary" comic. Google Linux Hater for that term :P

Nice to be with y'all, I guess!

Mourndark

Postby Mourndark » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Hello xkcd-ers!

I'm Moray, 19 from England, I've just finished my first year of a physics degree in Durham. I discovered xkcd a few months ago, and I have yet to find an aspect of it I can't relate to.

My hobbies include: music in all forms, particularly those which involved me behind a stack of keyboards, piano or trumpet; lasers; voiding warrenties; stage lighting and sound; lasers; in fact just mad science in general. I have recently taken up geohashing which last weekend left me clinging to a cliff above a main road after failing to register the contour lines on the map. I also like tea, random walks (geographical, not mathematical), classical history (particularly Latin) and Guitar Hero.

EDIT: I just have to say that this is the funkiest phpBB version I have ever seen.

souris

Postby souris » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

therapist wrote:
souris wrote:(Then again, I'm recovering from a long battle with a serious chronic illness that's pretty much isolated me for most of the last five years, so everything is intimidating right now.

you know, if you go to the doctor and tell them you've had chronic pain, they'll give you a prescription for weed.. even if ur not.. you can make a good amount of $ sellin it

[/me chuckles drily]

Well, it's not that kind of illness, and I don't much fancy prison — but thanks for the "advice" ... such as it is.

sje46 wrote:
souris wrote:Not that I expect anyone to read this ever,

Wrong!

Ah, first day of school, and I'm already failing.

(Then again, I'm recovering from a long battle with a serious chronic illness that's pretty much isolated me for most of the last five years, so everything is intimidating right now. I'm fairly nervous just doing this. I feel peculiar admitting that out loud to strangers, but it explains a lot. Or will.)

That's okay. I'm shy too, but not on the computer. And hardly anybody maeks fun of me here! But this is a pretty busy place though. Sometimes I feel like I'm not smart enough to be here.

Same here. I'm starting to regret my attempts at a well-rounded lib arts ed. Although, now that I'm thinking about it ... it's less being made fun of and more being eaten by a cranky raptor that frightens me. My domicile hasn't been checked for raptor-proof ... -ed ... -ness (yeah, that's it, raptorproofedness) lately. And I'm pretty dang tasty ... or so, I like to think.

hopeless with maths,

"maths"?
Oh no! You're English!

[/me laughs]

Well, partly (as well as several other things). I've been stuck in the US my whole life (I'd rather be stuck in London — I was just so much more comfortable there), but I was raised largely for several years by my Scottish gran, and my mum was raised for a long time largely by her Northern Irish gran. And there was a lot of Brit lit — and culture in general — in my formative years. So, the language differences really filtered down to me. ... And, besides, aren't colours a lot prettier when spelt with a u?

I thought that you were from Connecticut.

Yep. I'm stuck in that New Haven.

but it's okay you're english. Some of the best people are english (monty python, john lennon, queen, bad food, Steve Irwin . . .right?)

You're right! ... Especially about the bad food. Yikes. The only time I've been able to make it to London, I was terrified of what passed for edible! Chalk it up to post-War rationing, I guess. I suppose that, given what we ate in my house growing up (meat-and-two-veg, every night, except during Lent — and one veg was always a potato), I shouldn't have been at all surprised, but for some reason ... I was.

But Steve Irwin was Australian.

Edit: After looking through a few of the above posts, I noticed a pronunciation guide for a username, and felt I should offer one for my own. It sounds roughly like, "soo-ree." C'est français, n'est-ce pas? [/me adjusts her beret and takes a large bite out of her baguette]

You're really funny . . . I think I'm developing a crush on you .. .no, I'm just kidding. About me falling in love so easy, not about you being funny.

Oh, go ahead! I don't mind. It's my birthday today, so I'll interpret the compliment as a nice little present.

What is a baguette?

A big ole hunk of French bread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguette .

Oh, and welcome!

Oh, and thank you!
Last edited by souris on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:48 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Art is meant to disturb. Science reassures.
— Georges Braque (1882—1963), French artist (Illustrated Notebooks)

howkewlisthat

Postby howkewlisthat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

Hi. My name is Kewl and I'm practising to be an alcoholic when I'm not being browbeaten as a Product Director for a Mobile Phone manufacturer.

I found and joined the forum 3 days ago. Every since, I have been clicking on the xkcd.com homepage "RANDOM" button. A few min ago I finally got the same comic with consecutive clicks! I think that proves that the random number generator behind the site sucks! Or... maybe it doesn't. Reading 73 comics for three days straight without sleep may be clouding my analytical abilities. Oh, and I read really slow. But since the "rules" say that I can't be criticised or made fun of because of this, I feel safe. Bed now.

Peace, love and CHEERS from the UK.

Epsilon Lyrae

Postby Epsilon Lyrae » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Andrew and I'm from somewhere along the south coast of the United Kingdom.
Just a bit about me: I've just finished my first year studying physics at Loughborough University. I am particularly interested in Astronomy and Astrophysics (and love cold evenings observing and taking photographs through our telescope) and Quantum physics. Sports: Archery and Martial Arts. Music: I'm currently listening to about 5 hours of Progressive Rock per day (pink floyd, yes, etc.) as the only thing that keeps me remotely sane!

hierovision

Postby hierovision » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Hi my name is Zack. I am an asp.net, xml, sql, and some other things programmer. I'm 23 years old, enlisted in the Air Force and have 1 year left, married, and have a baby boy due in November. My religion, hobby, and true love (other than my wife of course) is pocket billiards. I also dabble in photography, play soccer, and build computers. And now I read xkcd.

I doubt I'm alone in my feelings about xkcd; This webcomic ruined me for every other webcomic. I used to read several others, and I was happy. Now I crave xkcd like some kind of opiate, needing the next strip... and the next and so on. Thanks a lot guys.

Redundant

Postby Redundant » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

I'm from Wisconsin, am in high school, and will probably never post again. But I'll still be lurking.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Redundant wrote:I'm from Wisconsin, am in high school, and will probably never post again. But I'll still be lurking.

I'm from the Cheese State too!!
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

jchinique

Postby jchinique » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:08 am UTC

I found out there was an xkcd forum so here I am

Hello world

Postby 4835016 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

I'm a number, but sometimes I like to pretend I'm a person!
I just realized. When you end a class in C++, it makes a sad face.

Code: Select all

class Aclass {
     public:
          int variable
     };

Look at it... };

Programming is depressing...

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

RikaLovesDie wrote:I am a soon-to-be mother (in roughly three weeks) and likely less educated than most here. I did my time in high school and even picked up an AA at the local community college, but haven't done much since then. I work for a rather popular company within the gaming industry (don't ask which--I won't tell) and therefore find myself relating pretty easily to the majority of xkcd. I met up with Randall at ComiCon this weekend and got him to do a sketch on a onsie for our upcoming baby, so I'll be sure to post some pictures of that once the baby grows into the onsie (it's a 6-9mo size).

I'm currently on maternity leave and bored out of my mind, so I'll probably be fairly present in the next few weeks, but don't expect that to continue once the baby is born.

Awww, I love talk about babies..wait has it been three weeks yet?!

But that's awesome that you get an xkcd onesie. My cousin is having a baby soon (and I hope to go baby shopping with her).
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

Hello everybody,

I found XKCD about two weeks ago while searching the internet for something that wasn't blocked by my admin and I ended up here. I am 23 years old hunter-gatherer consumer male currently working in a hospital in Oakland, California. I have about 4 hours of work to do in an 8 hour day... so thank goodness I can still Telnet into my MUDs and write on fourms!

I'm currently on the 5 year plan at a 2 year community college (Yes, English and Theater are my majors, what do you have against that huh!?!?!) and plan on taking another 18 months to get my Surgical Tech degree.

*bow*

"Trans Corpus Meum Mortem." ~Unknown

"Bones! Help this man, he's injured!"
"Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a ... oh, ummm, yeah."

Clintonio

Postby Clintonio » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Hello there.

This'll be my first intro post for some time now.

I'm a Mathematics student, about to go to a certain UK University for a Masters in Mathematics. I'm also a programmer (PHP Primarily (Please, no attacks, it's as much of a language as others)) and spend a large portion of my time doing that.

I found XKCD through people with similar backgrounds last year.

I'll possibly be around to post, but I expect my posting to be fragmented, I'm very active on another forum I'm on, while neglecting any others I choose to sign up to^^

-Clintonio.

druminor

Postby druminor » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Hi.

I enjoy philosophy, art, literature, music, and cartoons. I have read xkcd for a while, but this is the first time I have done anything with the forums.

Julianna

Postby Julianna » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:30 am UTC

Julie. Female. Raleigh, NC. Favors brevity.

ACMB

Postby ACMB » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

Alexander, a law student sorely tempted to apply for jobs as a software coder instead - possibly evidenced by my joining of this forum less than 24hrs before my exams start. I thoroughly approve of all pedantry (especially syntactical), equalled in intensity only by my dislike of those who feel the need prolifically to use colours and all-caps in their posts to highlight (pun probably intended) an erroneous belief of their own importance. Clearly I am a happy, happy person without a mote of cynicism within me, and who has issues with managing to submit short posts (apologies to Julianna, above).

Kaienne

Postby Kaienne » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

ohai, i didnt c u thar

My name's Kai'enne. I'm 22, neutrois (non-gendered), and live in Canada, eh?
I'm approximately equal parts non-specialized creative and analytical. Due to an extremely diverse bank of interests, I'm not especially good (albeit nor terribly poor) at higher sciences or mathematics; however I do possess an awe and appreciation thereof. I enjoy incorporating science and mathematics into my art, an interest which, more and more so as of late, has pushed me to pursue deeper education into such [as I am running out of things to incorporate].

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

I'm a hopeful mad scientist. I hope to one day be known as Diagnosis X, abbreviated as Dx X. In reality though, I'm a biology major, probably psych minor, and I hope to go to grad school for some sort of Neurological research. I currently assist a grad student, and I love confocal microscopy... it's so beautiful. I live in Nebraska, and as far as Nebraskans go I'm pretty liberal. I discovered XKCD using stumbleupon, but I got over my stumble phase. Also, I play too much rock band... the drums are so much fun.
"I'm sciencing as fast as I can!" -Hubert J. Farnsworth-
"The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it." -Dr. Horrible-

crapsh00t

Postby crapsh00t » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

In typical fashion, I did the "hey, I'm not new here!" thing and posted in a number of forums before coming here to pay my penance.

Ex-software programmer (Unix/Linux scripting and administrator workarounds) for a regional supermarket. Entering law school. Hoping the two realms of experience can somehow mesh.

I enjoy the outdoors, and have an avid appreciation of the environment. I'm not a rabid environmentalist.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Quick rundown here:

Name: Evan
Hails From: Burlington, ON, or Waterloo, ON, depending on time of year.
Education: University of Waterloo, completing B.Sc. in Physics
Employment: Math/Science tutor, flight school ramp-rat
Religion: None
Future plans: B.Ed., then teaching physics
Hobbies: Gaming, the interblag, exercise, hockey, baseball, physics, trivial pursuit, being a geek, playing guitar, singing
Favourite food: Undecided, but I can make a lemon pepper salmon that'll knock your socks off
Favourite drink: Stella Artois

Cheers, all, I'll be around. :)
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

Leah

Postby Leah » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

I decided against a creative username because they never turn out right for me. So yes, my name is Leah. I'm 16, soon to be 17, from Portsmouth, South England. Been a fan of xkcd for quite a while now, decided this might be a good time to join. Currently at college, starting second year in September. Hoping to go to university when college is over. Can't really say I have too many hobbies that sound interesting. I'm pretty lazy. That's about all really. Hi.

Return to “General”