Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ClaireIsAwesome

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby ClaireIsAwesome » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Hai! I'm Claire (obviously) I'm new (also obvious) and I'm 15 :D (also probably obvious).
I have no idea what else to say so... uh..

bye:)

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

@Ben, you both look very surprised to see the camera.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

ConfessionalTherapy

Postby ConfessionalTherapy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Hello fine people of XKCD. My name is George. I live in the land of the free. I have loved this fine comic for some time now. I hope to get to know you guys better in the near future!

Bye,
Confessional Therapy

Goatmancer

Postby Goatmancer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:Welcome to the fora (though I don't feel experienced enough here to be saying that). I'm intrigued... when you say you love Japanese culture, what do you mean? Don't take this as anything negative, I'm genuinely interested. I like people who like Japan for more than anime and cherry blossom.

Well, though I do enjoy anime, and I think that the blooming of the cherry blossoms are beautiful, Japan also keeps alot to it's past, traditional roots, while also being one of the most technologically advanced nations. Personally I've been, there, and my experience has been great. The people are kind, the food is good, they way they do many ever-day tasks just makes sense compared to alot of the English-Speaking nations, their TV is wacky, and the current youthful generation is one of the most open-minded on the planet.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Hola, Bonjour, Salve, and Sayonara.

I just recently came across xkcd. Saw a few comics posted in another forum and, luckily, no one hosts their images so it linked me back to the main site. I'm not that good with introductions so I'll just try to give a quick rundown. So, my name is Onyebuchi, I'm 15, and I too reside in the land of the free. I enjoy math, science (mostly physics, chemistry, and computer science), engineering, gaming, and anime/manga and comics. I like long walks on the beach and starry nights

I hope to get to know you all better. And...that's it. Hi.

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:@Ben, you both look very surprised to see the camera.

Haha, well she's holding it. So it's either idiocy, acting, or Art.

Goatmancer wrote:Well, though I do enjoy anime, and I think that the blooming of the cherry blossoms are beautiful, Japan also keeps alot to it's past, traditional roots, while also being one of the most technologically advanced nations. Personally I've been, there, and my experience has been great. The people are kind, the food is good, they way they do many ever-day tasks just makes sense compared to alot of the English-Speaking nations, their TV is wacky, and the current youthful generation is one of the most open-minded on the planet.

A good answer, but of course I'm not someone who has the power and right to dictate what a person may and may not like. Sorry if my enquiry came across as arrogant at all.
Last edited by Benfrenchman on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:16 am UTC

Hi everyone!
I've been reading for... hmm, well over the year. I usually read the comic discussion threads and finally had to reply, so here I am.
I'm 22, have a Software Engineering degree from University of Canberra, and am a programmer for CSIRO. The 'density' of my name is a BTTF reference. I'm also (extremely) into Stargate (to the point of fanfic writing) and (more recently) the Half Life series. I declare October 10th to be observed as Talk Like a Turret Day, since it will be the birthday of the Orange Box and release day of Portal Prelude.

I live on a 5 acre rural block with my parents (and my 4 siblings, all younger). I have a wicked and fast sense of humour and often spout one-liners and private in-jokes for my own amusement. I like lolcats and have lost twenty dollars and my self respect. Python rules! Lua and DirectX are an interesting combination resulting in the only 100% grade for the final assignment of 'Game Programming Techniques' which was my favourite university unit by far (and probably the one I put the most work into). Oh, and I was homeschooled through all of high-school. (which does firefox suggest 'schoolgirl' as a correction for 'highschool'?)

I also know that there is still a printout of Orphaned Projects stuck on the window of the computer lab in the University of Canberra engineering building which I used for my final year project (with my two best friends who are also xkcd fans. They're also to blame for getting me hooked on Stargate). And I also ramble a lot and then point it out at the end. But I avoid self-referential jokes, especially ironic ones. Wait...

I also expect no one bothered to read that, but I'm used to being ignored. I like being ignored. And if I say that enough times, I'll believe it. (lol!)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Goatmancer

Postby Goatmancer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:A good answer, but of course I'm not someone who has the power and right to dictate what a person may and may not like. Sorry if my enquiry came across as arrogant at all.

Don't worry, it didn't come across as that at all. =3

seawolf167

Postby seawolf167 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Heya

A: 23
S: M
L: Minneapolis, MN

Misc: IT Manager, Ilike to run/ski/bike/surf the net/code/mod comp cases/etc in my free time
The Cake Wasn't a Lie!

kevinalle

Postby kevinalle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

Hi!
from Argentina.
19 year old computer science student.
love xkcd

keybored

Postby keybored » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Raiku wrote:@ Benfrenchman: At a glance, your avatar makes you look suprisingly like Johnny Knoxville...

i was going to say timothy olyphant
LE4dGOLEM wrote:THERE IS NOT A SUFFICIENT CUSSWORD TO SHOW HOW LITTLE I APPRECIATE YOU.
Klapaucius wrote:Unfortunately it was deleted around the time I began, with somewhat shaky logic, to advise him not to rape animals.

crazymike811

Postby crazymike811 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

I'm Michael, I'm 23

I enjoy many things that don't hurt and a few that do. I dance alot and climb rocks from time to time. I am a professional college student and full time pirate.
If I could tell you how I felt, I wouldn't need to dance, or write in Latex.

jelly_yuhuu

Postby jelly_yuhuu » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Hi everyone!
Name's Jessica, 20, from Sydney. I do maths and international studies (Japan) at uni, and god do i suck at programming. Nice to meet you all :D And please be nice to me... :)

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Do you speak Japanese? You should post in the 日本語 thread if you do. Not enough people posting in there.

morvita

Postby morvita » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Hi all. I'm Gavin. I'm 22 years old and recently started an M.Sc. in computational chemistry. I have interest in most sciences, but leaning more toward the physical sciences over the life sciences, so expect to see me in the Science fora.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. - Futurama 4x08 Godfellas

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Hey there people at XKCD. Following standard protocol A944 and introducing myself.

I'm Ryan, 21 years of age, live in North Dakota and am currently studying for a Comp Sci Major/Math Minor(Senior Year). In honor of today's comic I shall soon post an awesome game in the "Cool games on the interwebs" thread.

mas418

Postby mas418 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:19 am UTC

hi, I'm Max, I'm a freshman physics student at McGill University in Montreal. I love physics and music, and kinda want to try and get into programming too.

So ya...hey :)

TheQntty

Postby TheQntty » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Hi, I'm Ed. I'm a senior in high school. I live in CO, USA. I'm 16 years old. I enjoy programming and math. I've been reading xkcd since about comic 100.

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Hi, I'm Eleni, and I recently graduated from college majoring in civil and environmental engineering. Now I'm working in Maryland as a faculty research assistant in oceanography (researching estuaries and oceans through a computer), but I'm planning on applying to grad school (in oceanography) for next fall. I am an avid crpg player, I'm a fantasy/sci-fi fan, and I am always up to date with the latest TV/movie business news (no, I don't mean celebrity stalking but actual industry news). And I've been following xkcd for a while and love it. That's all for now. Nice to meet you!
http://rpgcalledlife.blogspot.com/
(aka "Maybe if my blog is witty enough someone will finally love me")

Kodyack

Postby Kodyack » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Howdy, My name is Leo, and I am a 17 year old from Wisconsin, Residing in Minnesota.

Goatmancer

Postby Goatmancer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:Do you speak Japanese? You should post in the 日本語 thread if you do. Not enough people posting in there.

I only speak it a little, but I'll check it out

ckg

Postby ckg » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:50 am UTC

Hi. My name is Chris. I'm American, but living now in Amman, Jordan, with work focused mainly in Iraq. I'm a big fan of xkcd, but I'm not a computer scientist. (I did take a few CS courses, and started school as a math major, but ended up in history.) I like the Serious Business discussions. I don't know how often I'll be able to post, but hopefully this will be fun.

Summit.42

Postby Summit.42 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

Hi all!

Well, my name is Magnus, I live in southern Norway and I'm 18 years old. I basically discovered XKCD a month or so ago, and afterwards theese forums, wich I have been reading parts of since. (Excelent forums btw :) ) I attend what, unless I am completely mistaken is the equivilant to senior year on highschool.

As for hobbies I spend a lot of time infront of the pc, either browsing the web, playing wc3, or programming (although I just started that, so I'm a complete newb as far as programming goes) I also play the guitar, and spend a lot of time in the youthclub in my Church.

Ps. as you probarbly can tell, english is not my first language, so excuse me for the probarbly huge ammount of weird phrasing and misspellings :P

Benfrenchman

Postby Benfrenchman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

... Ultra Magnus?

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Hi! I'm Chai Kovsky. I don't particularly like chai, unfortunately, but do much appreciate Russian composers. I joined up because I'm not a regular on any fora and thought that this one was where I'd be most likely to meet like minds: after all, if I get along best with xkcd fans IRL, shouldn't the same be true online?

I'm 18 turning 19 next week and am a freshman at a large private research university, although hopefully the last will change next semester if I can transfer. I'm studying music and philosophy right now and love both subjects. I've always wanted to learn how to program, but have never had any idea where to start, besides editing BASIC programs on my graphing calculator to make some of the text funnier. I love the White Sox and am crying this year.

It's lovely to be here!

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:Hi! I'm Chai Kovsky. I don't particularly like chai, unfortunately, but do much appreciate Russian composers. I joined up because I'm not a regular on any fora and thought that this one was where I'd be most likely to meet like minds: after all, if I get along best with xkcd fans IRL, shouldn't the same be true online?

I'm 18 turning 19 next week and am a freshman at a large private research university, although hopefully the last will change next semester if I can transfer. I'm studying music and philosophy right now and love both subjects. I've always wanted to learn how to program, but have never had any idea where to start, besides editing BASIC programs on my graphing calculator to make some of the text funnier. I love the White Sox and am crying this year.

It's lovely to be here!

Your username had me chuckling for at least a couple minutes, once I realized what was going on.

Thank you!
Have you given up?

Endless
Location: On the top of an Office Building, grappling hook at the ready

Postby Endless » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Hey, I'm Brandon, I'm 16 and a Junior in high school. I've been reading the comic for a little over a year and find that it provides me with a more regular serving of laughs than almost any other web-comic I read (and there are a LOT of them)

I don't code, and am only mildly computer literate, but enjoy PC games, computer RPG's (especially Oblivion), comics (mostly Marvel), Ultimate Frisbee, and Drama/Musical Theater. I've browsed the forums before, but never had the gumption to go and post anything until now. I really like the community here and I hope that I'll never be accused of douchenozzlery.

Hello all!

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Its not over yet. I imagine that there are very few who know.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Endless wrote: I really like the community here and I hope that I'll never be accused of douchenozzlery.

Hello all!
Something legitimate to strive for, especially considering the behavior of some our mods. It's difficult to know what to believe in sometimes :cry: .

:wink: Anyway, welcome and I too hope you come to live up to that goal.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:Something legitimate to strive for, especially considering the behavior of some our mods. It's difficult to know what to believe in sometimes :cry: .

Shhh...! The threads have ears.

Umm...

You will believe what the mods tell you to believe. There is no other truth than Belial's words.

DOWN WITH BELIAL! DOWN WITH BELIAL! DOWN WITH BELIAL! DOWN WITH BELIAL!
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Tolchok

Postby Tolchok » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

I'm Tolchok <= obviously, because I liked A Clockwork Orange.

I am a sophomore in high school.

I like reading, coding (though I'm not very good at it), and obscure number theory. And, obviously, xkcd.

I don't like . . . um, introducing myself.
Don't you hate signatures like this:

If you have no originality, copy this into your signature...and have a signature no different from lots of other people! Kind of defeats the point of sigs.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Benfrenchman wrote:
Haha, well she's holding it. So it's either idiocy, acting, or Art.

Always say art-it sounds so refined :P

jaydoubleyou

Postby jaydoubleyou » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

seawolf167 wrote:A: 23
S: M
L: Minneapolis, MN

me too! weird.

vequalsir

Postby vequalsir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Hey, I'm new. My name is Chris, I'm a dude, and I live in the town of Lawrenceville in the big old state of GA. I am a freelance web and graphic designer (when I feel like it), and a full time student.

I also love the outdoors, which is sometimes rather counterproductive. I have submitted assignments from the top of a mountain before, and have had projects delayed because of rain.

I have been lurking around this forum for too long, and I now want to step off of the sidelines and actually participate...

Wellan

Re: INTRO THREAD THE mosaic salmon

Postby Wellan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Hi!

I'm a male student from North Vancouver, and I'm...uh...young enough that I might still get in trouble if I posted my exact age.

Like many before me, I'm a long-time forum lurker and xkcd fan. I'm a little bit of a grammar Nazi. I approve of the Oxford comma. I read books and play video games. I like math despite being terrible at it. I like logic, tactics, and strategy. I differentiate between strategy and tactics. Je parle aussi Francais. I'm an atheist. I can't think up anything else to add to this list right now. Wait, no, I'm also a casual fencer. I have to finish this post in a rush because it's suppertime.

What really impressed me about this forum is the way serious discussions without off-topic posts seem possible. Not many forums can say that.

Time's up. Bye!
SIGNATURE has caused a GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT in CREATIVE PROCESSES.
Error code 2309: Signature writer's block.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Hello folks. I'm Waldo, and I hate introductions. So, I'm 19, I'm a guy, from southern California, and my hobbies include astronomy, backpacking, fire, geology, sci-fi in general, model making, books, breaking computers in the attempt to figure out how they work, and countless other odd items I only forget when I'm composing an introduction.

I do not own, nor have I ever owned, a video game console; leading to persistent rumors that I am from either a third-world country, or another planet. Unfortunately for everyone, neither is true.

Presently I'm an inmate at the local community college.

I have a tendency to lurk, on and offline.

I'm really starting to reach for stuff now, so I'm just gonna stop.
[Signature pending...]

Benfrenchman

Re: INTRO THREAD THE mosaic salmon

Postby Benfrenchman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:32 am UTC

Wellan wrote:I approve of the Oxford comma.

Hey! Welcome to the fora! Don't come to my workplace or me and my colleagues will eat your entrails for your views on Oxford commas! Have a nice day!

Ian35

Postby Ian35 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Hey I'm Ian, I'm a 20 year old college student that enjoys reading the comics here as well as the discussion. I was truly surprised to find that there were so many xkcd fans out there, I'd never even heard of it until a few months back. Anyways just saying hi :)

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Hello, I am 29 and I live in South-East France. I've been reading xkcd for months, but I have only noticed there was a forum lately ^^. I don't know yet if I will contribute much.

Concerning my hobbies, I would cite RPGs (table-top and larps), hiking and snowboarding. I read much sci-fi and comics (mainly of French culture).

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

right, here goes...

I like cornflakes, smarties, Radiohead(hence the name), cycling and pizza (preferably all at the same time)
I also like cats, flying kites and playing my electric guitar(my baby).
Last edited by Paranoid__Android on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Return to “General”