Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sour Apple

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:13 am UTC

elephantitis wrote:
Sour Apple wrote:You know, I've met exactly one person here who's even heard of Terry Pratchett? It really depresses me.

That is sad. :(
I'm not nearly as familiar with Pratchett as weel, but his work with Neil Gaiman is a favourite. (Kinda sorta secretly stalk Gaiman.)

(I do too. He is a sexy, sexy author of a man. I'd do 'im. I'd also steal his brain in the morning. And you thought kidneys were bad...)
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Hrm, I think I must have forgotten to post in this thread after I said I would when I joined in the science and math discussions a while back.

I be Philbo B. Baggins, crazy barefooted loony of the South West Slopes in NSW, Australia. Oddly enough, you will find me quicker using the name 'Baggins' than my real name. I lurk around the math and science forums mostly here, and jump out when the discussion looks like something that I can talk about. All this quantum integration of the inverse particle wave speed matrix neutrinos is really just a bunch of people speaking gibberish to sound smart, I'm sure.

As for me, I'm a 22 year old human male, with a degree (and job) in Teaching and IT. I work at a school in town, teaching years 7-9 about music, maths and computers. I'm up for meeting an fellow XKCD'ers in the area, and look forward to wasting even more time reading the comic and fora.

My sense of humor is messed up, my ability on guitar is inversely proportional to my prowess on guitar hero, and I'm too freaking busy lately to raise the former. I can't remember how I found xkcd, but I'm glad I did.

Personally, I'm normal, straight guy. I drink occasionally (And a party once in a while never goes astray), but don't smoke or do any drugs, as fun as they all sound. I'm always up for a conversation if you're bored and want to chat.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Kuciwalker

Postby Kuciwalker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:56 am UTC

Hi, I'm Alex. I'm a sophomore compsci/math double major at Carnegie Mellon. I'm registering here instead of doing my combi and diffeq homework.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:31 am UTC

funkytwinkie wrote:i'm taking astronomy this year though (an intro course) and i have to say this is a fascinating subject! did you check out the total lunar eclipse??

Yep, fully :) I saw one in August too back in New Zealand, where it was a bit warmer and a bit more tolerable to stay outside...

dukederek

Postby dukederek » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
dukederek wrote:Quantum Cryptography

... I'm not sure I even know what that is. Is it encoding/decoding stuff using quantum computers?

no.

(am i allowed to post general conversation in here?)

for a basic idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cryptography. specifically i'm working on making it really really cheaply such that you can have a reciever (Bob) in an ATM machine (cost ~£2500) and everyone has an Alice in their PDA (cost of parts <£10). The benefit of this is that you can then top up secrets at an ATM and encode your bank details using your secret key when you shop on tinternets.

microchip

Postby microchip » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while, and I've seen that quite some people here think it's important for newbies to introduce themselves, so here I am :)

I'm Mark, 17 years of age, residing in the Hague (the Netherlands), aspiring Engineering student and cosmonaut wannabe. I usually enjoy things like tinkering with electronics & microcontrollers (current project: a robot which finds its way using images acquired from a mobile phone camera), mucking around with chemistry (chromium salts are awesome), reading about and doing mathematics, reading literature from various languages (usually Dutch, English and German), stargazing, and cycling through the dunes at manic speeds.
The rest is pretty standard stuff here at xkcd (at least, from what I know from reading the individual comic threads) like running up escalators in the wrong direction, making elaborate rules on how to walk and randomly high-five-ing people during the said high speed cycling trips.

That's about it I think :) Now I'm just hoping that I know enough to actually be able to make useful posts here... :)

PS: Sziget 2007 was AWESOME!

mgroat

Postby mgroat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Greetings. I'm a 20 year-old computer science student at a community college (sorry if I can't compete with everyone else's fancy 4-year education). In my spare time I enjoy running, cycling, thinking about (but not doing) physics homework, reading, and not being a spambot.

Rogue5_jm

Postby Rogue5_jm » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Um.... *waves*

I'm Rogue. Not the X-men character, because I am most definitely male. I generally don't use my real name online even though there are at least two different ways anyone here could figure it out. I'm not uber paranoid, it's just a habit at this point.

I was born and raised in Texas, and moved to the Seattle area at the age of 19. I have not gone to college yet, and really need to get on that soon, as I can already feel my intellect shriveling. I managed to grab a job at a local software developer (not Microsoft) despite my lack of formal education. I'm looking at getting a bit more into the industry, just need to get some education and experience under my belt.

Preacherman

Postby Preacherman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

So... I am Jeff, the Pastor at Denison Bible Baptist Church, in Denison Texas. I'm also an EMT-Basic (meaning, for those of you who don't know, I drive an ambulance), and as such tend to have a dark sense of humor that is very similar to Mr. Munroe's. I've been reading the comic since he had only posted about 50 or so, and joined at some time last year... I don't really remember when, but I never got around to posting anything until today, when his "Nightmares" comic simply blew me away again.

I find that he's good at that.

So, If you ever want to talk Bible, religion, theology, or philosophy, I'll be around, in short. I don't spend much time on the boards, honestly, but I love a good discussion.

I look forward to catching y'all around.

Oh, by the way. Re: A/S/L sort of stuff...I'm a 20 year old male who lives in a very small city called Howe. Yeah, they still name cities weird things like that. Go figure.

SophieHirschfeld

Postby SophieHirschfeld » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

I am Sophie Hirschfeld. I don't know if I should say what I do since so many of you are underage, (though, I've talked about it in chat). I'm actually very much into science and will hopefully be going back to school in a year or so to finish my Bachelor's degree. I already have an Associates degree and would only need to take a few more classes to finish my Bachelor's (my Bachelor's program is in Liberal Science - after I finish that, I will be studying sexology). I'm 29 years old, so some of this forum makes me feel ancient. I don't know what else to say ...

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

[EDIT]
Last edited by parthenos on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

psykx

Postby psykx » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Hey guys I'm psykx, which should be pronounced psy -- k - ss I am kinda realising 5 years in to using this name I should have found something pronounceable (doh!).

I am mostly interested in cognative neuroscience and the other related disciplins, open sourced computing (linux) and I'm currently writing some software in php. I am also pondering properly learning something more powerful (java or C++).

I'm 21, male and I normally work in a bar or restaurant because I like people (the neuroscience connection) oh and I am British.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

error666

Postby error666 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Hi all, I guess I'm a big of an old duff. I'm a 30yo scientific programmer (how that makes me different than any other programmer I don't know) at one of the big three human genome centers for the public branch of the project. My programming interests center around Java, not so much the language but the platform. I use Groovy, Java, experiment with Scala, JRuby, Ruby, and shell script in bash. I am the build manager for my team, over-seeing continuous integration with Maven and Cruise Control (soon to switch to Continuum) and helping with infrastructure needs in the department.

I'm a rehabilitated physicist, I have my B.S. from the University of Connecticut and spent two years working two part-time jobs at a local hospital before moving to Houston and finding my current job (while I did have previous programming experience I believe I was given a shot at my current job because my directors father was a physicist, and he has employed others with physics backgrounds to great success at the center). My interest in physics is gravitation, quantum loop theory, MOND, TeVeS, and other similar ideas. I would like to return to graduate school to pursue research along these lines but have little hope of an actual career if I do.

My non-computer interests are music, I play guitar, rock/ice climbing, hiking, cycling, and cooking. I've been reading xkcd for about four months and greatly appreciate the intelligence and humor.

Time for bed, road trip in the morning.

J
I was never much for Atari, ColecoVision was my console of choice. Anyone for a game of Smurfs?

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Sour Apple wrote:You know, I've met exactly one person here who's even heard of Terry Pratchett? It really depresses me.

The fact that I can find anyone who has heard of Terry Pratchett usually makes me happy, but here I'm forced to agree.

As some of you can tell, the name Timequake is after the novel by Kurt Vonnegut.
I was going to include more information here, but after about an hour of working on this post I've realized that introductions are inherently awkward and forced, and I'm never going to get this right no matter how much longer I keep trying, so I'm not even going to bother continuing past this sentence.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

ModerateClasshole

Postby ModerateClasshole » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:48 am UTC

*ahem* Moderate Classhole here. I'm 23, male from Kentucky, and I ... love XKCD.
(all: Hi Moderate Classhole!)
But really, is there an XKCD's Anonymous yet? :lol:

But yes. After reading numerous comic pages, it was largely http://www.xkcd.com/389 (Keeping Time) that caused me to join. I've never before had a comic make my geek side
Spoiler:
(Rick Roll, anyone?)
*and* my largely neglected marching band side both chortle so hard inside my head. So yes. Here I am, after aeons of just reading the comics.

Eyes - with pride!

lazydilettante

Postby lazydilettante » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:56 am UTC

I like how many people here name themselves after descriptions of themselves (case in point, the poster before me), so I hopped the bandwagon.

I realize XKCD's been around for a while, but I never paid it much attention until I marathoned (screw you, Firefox spellchecker--it may not be in the dictionary yet but it's a perfectly legal neologism based on the English system of turning verbs into nouns and nouns into verbs) the entire archive on a whim about four days ago. Glad to find it didn't disappoint.

As for me... I'm a psycholinguistics major born before the year 1995. Speaking of which, in response to this XKCD comic, all I have to say is that nobody even needs to actively make fun of my field--the name speaks for itself. Really, any field combined with psychology inevitably gets pegged with that lovely prefix. Maybe the Scientologists are right.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Timequake wrote:

The fact that I can find anyone who has heard of Terry Pratchett usually makes me happy, but here I'm forced to agree..

0.o Weird, really? Terry Pratchett is ridiculously popular among my friends and acquaintances, for whatever reason. I'm not a huge fan myself, but I've read some of his work and it's kinda entertaining.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Hugh Manatee

Postby Hugh Manatee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Howdy, i'm Hugh Manatee <(*..*)> I generally lurk, I don't like keeping track of passwords(my crayons are all gone missing and my password cheat sheet is running or of room...) and such so I don't always join various forums, but I like the book, tv and movie, music, and individual comic threads and I tend to keep civil. This looks to be a nice place to exchange ideas and info.

Antifish

Postby Antifish » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Hi. I'm AntiFish. Not as in, against fish, but as in Anti-matter. I don't combine well with fish. (as much as i try, i can't keep fish alive. and let's not talk about the time i tried sushi.) I'm 19, and used to lurk on the fora a while back, and in the irc channel. I'm fascinated by everything, skilled at nothing in particular. Currently studying comp sci, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

Toarn
Location: Dante's Inferno actually had one more circle, bad punmakers beware.

Postby Toarn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:59 am UTC

Umm, well my name is Chris, im 16, and currently attending Western Kentucky University.

I'm a beginning programmer, future computer engineer hopefully, so XKCD seemed really cool to me. I play tennis alot, watch anime, yada yada yada. Well that's about it..... o yeah, I yo-yo. lol.
Two muffins were sitting in an oven....

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Hi my name is louis, I'm 22 years old and belgian.
I'm currently studying engineering in ghent (great city).

I get my geek points from card- and boardgames, webcomics, regular comics (the european kind) and a nice list of anime.

cats>dogs
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

msully4321

Postby msully4321 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

I'm Sully. I'm a CS university student. I became interested in the forums mainly due to comic threads and the Coding and Computer Science sections.

Meeples

Postby Meeples » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Though I've read the comic for many months, and perused the forums for nearly the same amount of time, I've never before desired to create an account here...I've always been more of a lurker, truly. As for why now? Two reasons..! One, there have been a couple of discussions as of late I've yearned to contribute towards, and two, I've just started some class work with Prolog and have an issue grasping one seemingly simple concept that is preventing me from getting anywhere. >.< As well...not unexpected, I'm a CS student.

gravitysrainbow

Postby gravitysrainbow » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Hi All!
I'm a Canadian 23-year-old physics student, I've been reading xkcd for a few years. its been worked into my regular 'net comics routine with catandgirl, goats, and a few others.
I'm working in a very peripheral way on the ATLAS project at the LHC.
I really like the feel of the forums.
gravity'srainbow

Girdot

Postby Girdot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Let me start off by saying that I rarely finish introduction messages, so if you're reading this, you're lucky ;P. Now, let's get the boring crap out of the way: my name's Daniel (if you must use my real name, it's Dan or Danny, please), I live in Vegas, and I'm currently attending Southeast Career and Technical Academy (SECTA High School). Now for the good stuff.

I have a problem with finishing things I start. Some things last longer than others; the most recent example, card magic, lasted two years. I blame it on not having enough time, even though most of the time I'm either reading or posting useless crap on the internet. I love to read (currently reading Cloud Atlas); I usually read sci-fi and fantasy, but I'll read just about anything I can get my hands on. It's a costly hobby, though, because I never go to the library. I have to own a book, for some reason.

I play video games a lot, but recently I've been slowing down a bit. It got to the point where I was coming home from school, playing for about 6 hours, eating, then sleeping. So now I've made a habit of going out with my friends a bit more. I have a small, yet very tight, circle of friends. I'm pretty timid around people I don't know, but once you get to know me I'm actually quite obnoxious :wink:. I consider myself to be marginally intelligent, and I absolutely despise stupid people. I've got no problem with ignorance, but out-right stupidity just pisses me off to now end.

That said, I love to learn new things (oftentimes useless things); I love shows like "Modern Marvels" and "The Universe". My television is always tuned to either the history or discovery channel, with the only exception being Comedy Central for the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. That being said, I love stupid humor. Almost to the point of "the stupider the better".

Holy cow, Im all over the place ;P looks like I need to work on my transitions, or something.
Anyways, I'm bored.

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:42 am UTC

Right, so an introductory post about myself.

Starting with the obvious stuff, I'm 22 years old for now, going to Michigan Technological University. As a result of chronic indecision regarding my major I'm now in my ninth semester and second school. I hope to graduate before we're in a new decade. My fifth and final (hopefully) major is Secondary Education and Earth Science. Meaning I'm going to be a teacher when I grow up, but I could be a real geologist too. Of my previous majors, the one that lasted longest was Computer Science (2.5 years) so I've got a pretty good grounding in all that nonsense, but it's definitely just a hobby.

Speaking of hobbies I've got a lot of them. Like Girdot above me *waves*, I've got a problem with finishing the things that I start, so I start learning lots of things. I'm currently making sandals out of tires (.75 pairs finished), learning coin tricks (suspended indefinitely), reading less than I like to, listening to all the music that catches my fancy, mountain biking (waiting for spring), kayaking (my kayak moved away with the housemate that it belongs to), playing computer games (S.T.A.L.K.E.R., ADOM), video games (Super Mario World), Magic: The Gathering (spending more than I should) and other stuff.

I wear a bigger beard and longer hair than is fashionable. I have a sad lack of personal style, but I'm working on it. I don't like shoes and am thinking that I would like to move to a climate that does not have such a high risk of frostbite throughout so much of the year. I like being active, but find I don't have much motivation for it for some reason. Hmmm, running into a lot of 'but's here. Lets stop that.

Well, that's probably a good point to stop at anyhow. I'll see you all around the fora.

Radiergummi

Postby Radiergummi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:57 am UTC

20-year-old amateur Ruby programmer, agnostic cantor at a Catholic church, and parental dependent. I'm originally from Chicagoland, attended and slacked out of college in Boulder, CO, and now reside in Florida.

I identify with all Randall's quirky mental exercises, as I suppose many here do. I have 3 feet of hair and a beard that can store sunglasses. I am a certified SCUBA diver. Three inches of one of my beard-whiskers is inexplicably blond, and the rest of my hair is a dark brown. It's not even the root, or the very tip; the blond segment is sandwiched in brunette.

Before I had permission to post in this forum (???) I tried replying to this thread by adding "mode=reply" to the HTTP GET arguments in the thread's URL. It didn't work.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:06 am UTC

Erm, hi, all.

Sort of feel like re-introing since I've been gone so long. Don't know exactly what the proportion of the population is 'round these parts that was around when I posted up a storm a few months ago to the total, anyhow.

Sorry I've been gone so long. As in, I really haven't posted much since moving back to Illinois from California back in June. I definitely won't be able to post as much as I did then, because I don't think I could post from work all day like I did in California. But at least I actually get work done this way. Also I'm doing (for me) lots of cool stuff IRL, where in California I only left the apartment for work, food and frisbee. But I wanted to start hanging out here again, since you are mostly pretty awesome people!

I was thinking about coming back not long ago, then I got tied up in the RPM project, which took my entire month of February. For those interested, my band is called Elko West, and given that information and lovely hacking tools like Google and the RPM project website's participant search you can find all the songs and art from the album. So I won't bore y'all with too many more details of my album (it's far from the best thing created on RPM, and since I haven't been keeping up here I bet some of you did RPM and did better albums than me too). I will bore you with my theories on RPM in general.

It's like 4:40AM here and I can't sleep. Drats. I'm stuck in an endless loop thinking about the crisis that is the gulf between academic and commercial music. If it was a gulf between art and pop, that's bridgeable, and really, art music and pop music are both noble causes that I respect. But today primarily the academics tend towards obscurity and complete disconnection with audiences, forgetting that if there is no audience there is no art; the commercial types forget their responsibility to the audience, seeing them merely as marketing targets, forgetting that if there is no artist there is no art. And I think the RPM project is great because it gets pop music going. Popular music, as in music by, for, and of the people. We that make albums for RPM aren't beholden to academic hierarchies and cults of reputations, nor towards profit; we write songs that mean something to us, and that we think speak to people. It feels totally different than the recitals and concerts I played up through college as a clarinettist; I was better prepared for those and had a more focused and specialized set of skills, but I didn't have the same kinds of creative quandaries I did writing and performing a pop album.

I suppose I'm a pretentious wank, 'eh? I got to get some beer!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

swik

Postby swik » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

I'm an indecisive 21 year old college student. I've always loved any type of puzzle and enjoyed math. The problem is I've always enjoyed reading and writing, particular fiction, to an equal extent, if not more.

The last real math class I took was Calculus in high school but natural curiosity, particularly in paradoxes, has lead to the occasional casual study of subjects way beyond my learning. I've always considered completely forgetting about Journalism and pursuing physics.

I'm a big nerd and actually used to be a professional gamer.

I hate talking about myself.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

The otter-duck returns!

Silent Five

Postby Silent Five » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Er, hi there. I am not prone to joining these things, as a rule. xckd, however, has made my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays nerdgasmic for about a year now, and I am thoroughly delighted to find and hook onto a motley collection of brilliant dorks.

Me: 23, female, currently hanging about the greater Chicago area. I'm applying to graduate programs in Historical and/or Sociolinguistics (not quite as ill-defined as computational, but with ample wiggle room for impractical thrills like learning Basque for the hell of it.) My aspiration is to be a crabbed academic for the rest of my life, but never to become so dour and bookish that I would not, Trillian-esque, decide on a whim to run off to Madagascar. For fun I sing in classical ensembles (and do solo work when I can get it), swing-dance, tabletop (I am reluctantly learning my way around d20, but will always be an Exalted girl at heart), and dress up in weird costumes at inappropriate times. I have a perverse fascination with internet fads, but I suppose that's nothing new. I have been writing limericks compulsively for the past few days.

I would also like to say that I had gone nearly three weeks without losing The Game until this morning. Damn you, Randall Munroe!

1=0

Postby 1=0 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Hi there,
Now that I've joined and opened my virtual mouth I am supposed to introduce myself, so consider myself introduced.

Spoiler:
I actually meant to leave my introduction at this point but... well I like you guys :) Dunno why though.
I'm 42, from .eu and dabble in computer thingies. I've been many things in previous implementations and/or instances, including most recently teaching in a high-school and that was the most satisfying job ever.

I discovered xkcd some time ago (don't remember xactly) and, believe it or not, hadn't even noticed the existence of a forum.
Then came today and today's strip : http://www.xkcd.com/391

(Is it OK to include the strip itself in my intro ? it is for a Good Reason [tm])

I found the strip interesting but was annoyed because I didn't get the joke. So I went and searched the almighty internet with help from the allknowing Googly. And Googly took me to this forum.
Where I got the feeling I had to register to read what I needed to read.

And now, being the way I am, I enjoy breaking every kind of record for those poor souls who read this and were playing the game. I now know about the game but managed in my usual twisted and deranged way to utterly defeat it and its purpose. :twisted:

Have a nice day :mrgreen:
Last edited by 1=0 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:55 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
I feel diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Zug-Zug

Postby Zug-Zug » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

1=0, you just killed my eyes... :(

[Edit: Looks like someone made it readable! :roll: ]
Last edited by Zug-Zug on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:BACK

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Al is back!

(If I be your bodyguard, will you be my long-lost pal?)
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

1=0

Postby 1=0 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Zug-Zug wrote:1=0, you just killed my eyes... :(

[Edit: Looks like someone made it readable! :roll: ]

I'd (almost) apologise, except that it wasn't meant to be easily readable... Well, to bad, someone didn't like my creativity. I hope my reediting it with a "spoiler" isn't too bad... 8)

PS : I like your sig :)
I feel diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

tobbez

Postby tobbez » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Why hello there.

I'm tobbez (to state the obvious). I use to program and I read too many webcomics.

I generally prefer the older xkcd strips.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Aldi!
I miss the plan-9-injections. :D
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

cmsimike

Postby cmsimike » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

Hello everyone.
My name is Mike and live in the Los Angeles area. I am 26 years old, male, and majored in computer science at Loyola Marymount University, but have a deep interest in math- and physics-related topics, although computer science is by far and large my favorite. Although currently working for a web-technologies company, I have a deep interest in low level programming (C, x86 asm). Preferred operating system is GNU/Linux, but my main computer only runs Windows XP (forcibly) (although my router, server, ps3, and laptop all run Ubuntu). Since the discovery of Cygwin's ability to ssh -X to a GNU/Linux box and run X-based applications on my desktop, life hasn't been so bad with Windows. I am also on the LA ACM council and currently serve technology needs, whatever they may be. In whatever spare time I have, I like to pursue personal projects (mainly more programming, but this time for me).

I've been a long time reader of Xkcd comics and the forums, but just recently decided to join up.

*Edit*
I hope this is enough information for everyone.

*Edit 2*
Oh yeah, I love video games. Mainly RPGs that I don't have time to play and I am a huge movie collector. I am also a huge fan of electronica, especially Trance and House (and all variations of House).

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

That avatar again?!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Cycle

Postby Cycle » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Hello to anyone who reads endless introduction threads!

I'm a long time reader of xkcd, and I've been lurking for a while. It's really nice to see a forum as cool as this one. Specifically, the math and science forums are probably the best I've ever read (meaning they aren't full of 16 year olds who claim their intuition to be fact).

A little bit about myself:

I'm a 21 year old male. I'm a grad student in math, specifically topology is what I plan to do my research in. If you're enough of a math-nerd that you want more specifics, I particularly like low dimensional topology, more of the knot theory / Kirby calculus stuff, as opposed to the geometric side of things. I'm only a first year though, so I haven't had much of a chance to do any research other than reading books.

Other than my academic info (wait, grad students have lives outside of school!?): I'm a big fan of music, and I listen to all different kinds, and go to a wide variety of shows. Recently, I've been listening to indie/post rock stuff (Slint, Of Montreal), and some other psychedelic stuff (Volcano's a recent listen). The last shows I went to were Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (modern swing/bebop) and Captured! By Robots. (sorry that sentence has bad punctuation, the name is "Captured! By Robots".) This is a really cool project that I bet a lot of people on this forum would like: this guy designed a bunch of robots to play guitar, bass, drums, and horns. He sings and plays guitar along with this band of robots that he custom designed himself. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, I'm a big fan of various intoxicants, and I've had the opportunity to try quite a variety of them :twisted:. I'll save the specifics of that for another thread.

Nice meeting you all, I look forward to posting here. :mrgreen:

Return to “General”