Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Smuglorda

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Smuglorda » Thu May 05, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

Ohaithar :D I'm obviously new here if you haven't come to that conclusion. I just discovered the awesomeness that is xkcd, which now officially gives me my daily lulz. I am from South Africa and I like soccer, rock music, video games and reading. Ten bucks if you can guess where my username is from.

Heliman

Postby Heliman » Fri May 06, 2011 12:16 am UTC

ALRIGHT BROS ARE YOU READY? THE SICK FIRES I'VE BROUGHT TO THIS SHIZNIT ARE RELEASING ENERGY OF A CARCINOGENIC VARIETY, AND PROLONGED EXPOSURE MAY CAUSE FOLLICLE DAMAGE TO THE HAIR AND SCALP and where the fuck was I going with this again? Anyhow hey, I'm Heliman.

Anisotropic_Brane

Postby Anisotropic_Brane » Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 am UTC

Anisotropic_Brane (and brain, for that matter) here.

Background is CAS (complex adaptive systems), nonlinear dynamics, computational neuro (modelling jolly arrays of excitable neurons all joyfully spiking with glee), etc.
Interests in mathy, physicsy, sciency, computery, and squirrelly, stuff. I've recently picked up an amateur's interest in topology (topology for dummies? hmm...) despite the wee little obstacle of having forgotten most of what I learned in my differential geometry class back in the day.

Joyfully basking the long spring days away while being piled under several cubic metres of snow (it's Michigan) and attending 8-am lectures.
Tending to my pet octopus in the spare time. His name is Eudoxus and I feed him dead flies and leftover sushi rice.

And I always have my proverbial antennae out for fellow unabashed self-identified nerds.
So brane on, my fellow projections of higher-dimensional objects into 3-Dimensional space, and pleased to meet you with all your joyful appendages and synaptic currents! :)

T3CHN0CR4T

Hai!

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Fri May 06, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Hey guys,

My name is Jarrod, I'm 18 and am studying a degree in Information Technology at Griffith University in Australia. I've been reading XKCD for about a year (I think, time goes so fast) and just started looking for a forum to join again. It's been at least 2 years since I was actively involved with a forum and I kind of miss it. I'm in to billiards, gaming (Mostly PC, although some Xbox), movies and, of course, the mass abyss of ever-changing awesomeness that is Information Technology.

Well that's enough about me, guess it's time to get posting ;)

Glenn

Postby Glenn » Sat May 07, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Hi all,
Ive been lurking around here for ages, but never really got myself to start up an account until now. Have been reading the comic for years though, cant really remember when I started. (...Chronological thingies, not really my strength)

Anyway, Im a London based Swedish dress-maker in my later 20s, currently studying theater/costume, and enjoying whatever cultural fun I can squeeze out of London for free. Im possibly a dork, and geeky enough to spend a Saturday night playing D2 with friends.
And since I never ever know what to tell people about me, I tend to start rambling. I better stop before I start.

I spose youll see me around, I tend to find my way to any irc channel and get stuck there.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun May 08, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

Hello Glenn! I thought you were my cousin for a second there, until you said how old you were. :o
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Kagami

Postby Kagami » Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Greetings all,
I have heard much about you but am only just starting to dip my toe in your pond. I am female, 30, living on the western edge of Wisconsin and married to Bhelliom. I have an art degree, a little bit of Japanese language skill left from classes 5 years ago, an interest in people and culture, and a fondness for socks. I've been working in jewelry design and repair for the last 5 years and I'm really tired of diamonds. I read (mostly fantasy and some sci-fi), I knit (including socks), and I just finished my first big quilting project.
And one of the kitty overlords has decided it's lap time.

Zecromancer

Postby Zecromancer » Thu May 12, 2011 6:11 am UTC

Hello, I am zecromancer. Zecro zenreload etcetera

I came to join XKCD forums for a number of reasons that I do not wish to explain

PS:Cthulhu mythos

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Fri May 13, 2011 7:37 am UTC

welcome all. Refer to one of numerous replies from me for a tour of the hotel. Currently I am too lazy to make a post comparing this place to a hotel.

Stray Cat

Postby Stray Cat » Sun May 15, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Hello. Just another enthusiastic science layman here. Nothing special. I'll be around. Yup.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sun May 15, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

It's a kitty! And it tilts the head!
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Drakohel

Postby Drakohel » Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 am UTC

Uh, hi. Used to post here and a couple of other places ages ago (long enough that I no longer remember the username/password and don't have the associated email account anymore... also the reason I no longer have several of my other forum accounts...). Drakohel is the name, though Drak/Drac is probably the more common version.

Basic info: I'm still one of those "damn teenagers", but only just. Aussie by location, European by bloodline, currently studying at QUT in the little city of Brisbane. I can insult you in Mandarin and Lithuanian and occasionally order/claim to be a hamburger in the former. Music whore, motorcyclist, overly sarcastic but moderately shy. I'm an ex-bartender and current food service/hospitality worker. I play soccer, the piano, the flute and some very bad guitar; I also play almost any game I'm provided with. Enjoy general programming, hate web development, wouldn't mind working in games dev though I'd much prefer to spend my working career writing music/working on sound for movies, TV or games.

You'll probably find me stalking music and gaming, though I lurk everywhere. As soon as I can find my original UP I'll be back to using that.

TL, DR; 'Sup?

Tha Housedog

Postby Tha Housedog » Thu May 19, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Yo. I'm Tha Housedog. My real name's Brenden and I'm addicted to music. I just recently started getting back into video games. I have a girlfriend on another forum, and I'm also a furry, if you couldn't tell by my name.

I'm currently a Junior in high school (for nine more days! :D) and I live near Dallas, Texas.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Less green. Less using any color, ever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mrface

Postby mrface » Thu May 19, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

So I just noticed this thread. I guess I should start paying more attention. Anyway, I'm Gabe, a 16 year old geek/hippie (So, yeah. Younger than most of ya'll) in Virginia. I read the comic for ages before noticing the forum and I've been hanging around the mafia subfora for a while. I'm just now starting to branch out and read/post in other places. I like computers (though I don't know much about them), being outside, acting/singing in school plays and musicals (well, I say singing...), reading, and telling myself that eventually I'll get around to teaching myself to play my didgeridoo. And that's me!

sheynfinkel

Postby sheynfinkel » Mon May 23, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Hi, I'd like to cycle in the Netherlands. I'm into organic electronic music, Haskell hacking, obscure words, esoteric knowledge, strange fiction, Japan, Linux, and bball.

peacespotting

Postby peacespotting » Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Hi - stumbled upon this thread after being pointed in the right direction ;).

I'm Tom, 22, from the UK, currently studying for a Masters in translation. I speak English and French, enjoy all sorts of music (excluding almost everything from the 80s and the current BBC Radio 1 playlist ;)), and I came across this forum while searching for a comic book/graphic novel forum, but it looks like it encompasses just about everything... so bang goes a day which was meant to be spent researching for my dissertation :D.

I also like football (soccer), rugby, cricket, tennis, professional wrestling and am slowly getting into American football (thanks to Friday Night Lights ;))

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 23, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Welcome, everyone. Yeah, we discuss just about everything, so take a look around and make yourself at home. (After reading the rules!)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

TheCasualObserver

Postby TheCasualObserver » Mon May 23, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Good morning all. As my name suggests, I've been watching the forums for a while now and reading the comic longer so I decided it was time to seize the day and make an account. (Also putting off doing revision for exams, so this is a great time waster :) )
Anyway, I live in the UK, my room is full of books, I like science and video games. Yay Me!

Ashleylharnett

Postby Ashleylharnett » Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 am UTC

Took me a while to get around to this thread, oops. Hello, all. I'm just a wandering web-user looking for a forum to call home, this one seemed inviting enough. Currently procrastinating my way through a degree in Classics and Ancient History, where my small computer-savvy is considered a godlike wisdom (they don't get online much in the past). Anyway, best stop typing now otherwise people will think I'm mad or just odd (I'm not sure which is worse).

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed May 25, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

Greetings to all of you newcomers, new and…mostly new. Hopes your time spent here is pleasant.
Ashleylharnett wrote:Anyway, best stop typing now otherwise people will think I'm mad or just odd (I'm not sure which is worse).

Does not need to worry about that. Defeats many in at least one of those categories. Post with confidence that you are not that bizarre.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Kasa

Postby Kasa » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Hi,

Um... I'm Kasa. I was banned from my home forum several years ago for being underage; I've been looking for a new internet home ever since, and I think I may have finally found one. While I've read xkcd for a very long time, for some unknown reason I have never visited the forum. I'll likely be doing more lurking than posting, but I think I'm here to stay.

I'm a student in the US, in a little town you've probably never heard of, but I've been a denizen of the internet for the last eight years. My interests include coding, artificial intelligence, psychology, science, science fiction, and big ideas, I'm a Linux user but not a rabid one, and I'm not very good at intros.

Happy Towel Day/Geek Pride Day!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 am UTC

Hi Kasa, sounds like this could be a forum you are going to enjoy :) . Feel yourself at home.

Matarsak

Postby Matarsak » Fri May 27, 2011 8:06 am UTC

Hi. I'm Mat. I'm not a spambot.

"Matarsak" translates to scarecrow. A cookie to whoever guesses the language.

I've been a fan of the comics just about forever, but for whatever reason only recently discovered the forums. Specifically, I read through a few threads in "Serious Business," and was rather shocked to find that apparently it is possible to have a (mostly) flame/troll-free discussion on the internet, on traditionally inflammatory topics.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 am UTC

Persian / Farsi?

/me wants cookie.

htst

Postby htst » Sat May 28, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Hi i just joined yesterday cuz i love the comics and found out there was a forum :mrgreen:

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Mon May 30, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

I've been on for a while, yet never actually noticed the intro thread.

I'm Robot_Raptor here, Jello_Raptor on IRC, and probably more than a little crazy in real life.

I've been on IRC for a good long while under various guises, and an XKCDian for a good while before that.

Long story short, indian by genetics, american by culture, hindu by birth, atheist by choice, electrical engineer/computer scientist by training, code monkey by profession, and by now you're probably tired of that syntax.

I think that's all, I quite like good conversation, and do relish a good argument, so feel free to PM with whatever randomness you want, in the meantime, see you around.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon May 30, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

Welcome to this universe :D .

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Hello xkcd, been reading the forums for a while and the comic for ages.

I'm 18-year-old student from Finland who likes science and gaming.. Visited cern last month!
Decided to finallly register and just wanted to say hi. Hi:)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

And? Is there a black hole that they are hiding?

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Mon May 30, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I guess that's why they wouldn't let us actually see the LHC tunnel! But they let us see other school stuff, much more than I imagined before the trip.

And the best part? I didn't have to pay for it :)

HumbiS

Postby HumbiS » Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Hey everyone, I'm new here too... love the comic but just discovered the forum. 20 year old student majoring in Computer Engineering... yea.

acablue

Postby acablue » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:33 am UTC

Hi, my name's Alex. I'm a 19-year-old chemistry major at the University of Florida. I'm also a moderator over at GayTeenForum, so I know how all this works. So, xkcd has a forum, you say? Well ain't that some shit.

HumbiS wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new here too... love the comic but just discovered the forum. 20 year old student majoring in Computer Engineering... yea.

Something tells me non-CS/CE majors are hard to come by around here.

sapmarten

Postby sapmarten » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 am UTC

Hello.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 am UTC

/me waves hi

yash

Postby yash » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

I find intro threads useless, but this one was in capitals, and I'm new to the forums (or, new to posting in the forums), so felt obliged to post here. Unfortunately I've nothing particularly witty to say, and simply stating my name or any particular greeting seems superfluous given usernames and sigs (when I'm allowed to actually make one), so I'll finish here. :)
Yash.
[t l]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

yash wrote:I find intro threads useless, but this one was in capitals, and I'm new to the forums (or, new to posting in the forums), so felt obliged to post here. Unfortunately I've nothing particularly witty to say, and simply stating my name or any particular greeting seems superfluous given usernames and sigs (when I'm allowed to actually make one), so I'll finish here. :)

They're actually astoundingly useful when someone lists little facts about themselves - where they're from, how old they are, what they do for a living...

Mostly so when some asshole's rambling about how they know this chemical compound couldn't possibly do X, you can check what they said quickly and easily in this thread and see they have a PhD in Chemistry and are probably correct..... or they say they play WoW all day and are in High School, in which case you know they're full of shit.

See? Handy!

In a more serious bit, it's something I use to see how old someone is or where they're from when it's relevant - usually when they say they've never heard of something that I find incredibly common and well-known. And then I find out they're 50 and live in Argentina, which explains it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

yash

Postby yash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
yash wrote:I find intro threads useless, but this one was in capitals, and I'm new to the forums (or, new to posting in the forums), so felt obliged to post here. Unfortunately I've nothing particularly witty to say, and simply stating my name or any particular greeting seems superfluous given usernames and sigs (when I'm allowed to actually make one), so I'll finish here. :)

They're actually astoundingly useful when someone lists little facts about themselves - where they're from, how old they are, what they do for a living...

Mostly so when some asshole's rambling about how they know this chemical compound couldn't possibly do X, you can check what they said quickly and easily in this thread and see they have a PhD in Chemistry and are probably correct..... or they say they play WoW all day and are in High School, in which case you know they're full of shit.

See? Handy!

In a more serious bit, it's something I use to see how old someone is or where they're from when it's relevant - usually when they say they've never heard of something that I find incredibly common and well-known. And then I find out they're 50 and live in Argentina, which explains it.

So baaasically now is the time to bullshit as much as I can about myself, for the sake of the claims my future self may make? :3
And the problem is that it's not structured, which is nice for those who can think of an interesting way of explaining what they do, who they are, and know what are the best points to include (and, indeed, entertaining for everyone else reading the posts by those people), but I don't really know what to say, or how to say it. I'm 17, british indian, male, a tad asocial, have finished AS levels, enjoy maths & sciences, planning on medicine for uni, interested in a philosophy or physics IBSc (hopefully!), and my name everywhere but usernames is Hrisheekesh. I have twitter, facebook, and last.fm profiles, and like Google and android slightly too much.
...I think it's quite obvious that I haven't lied there, for if I have it's a truly pathetic life I've stolen. :3
Yash.
[t l]

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

There doesn't seem anything wrong with your life :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

yash wrote:So baaasically now is the time to bullshit as much as I can about myself, for the sake of the claims my future self may make? :3
And the problem is that it's not structured, which is nice for those who can think of an interesting way of explaining what they do, who they are, and know what are the best points to include (and, indeed, entertaining for everyone else reading the posts by those people), but I don't really know what to say, or how to say it. I'm 17, british indian, male, a tad asocial, have finished AS levels, enjoy maths & sciences, planning on medicine for uni, interested in a philosophy or physics IBSc (hopefully!), and my name everywhere but usernames is Hrisheekesh. I have twitter, facebook, and last.fm profiles, and like Google and android slightly too much.
...I think it's quite obvious that I haven't lied there, for if I have it's a truly pathetic life I've stolen. :3
Nah, your life's fine.

Also, now I know that if you start talking about biscuits, you don't mean what I think you mean. And that you have no idea what barbeque is. Oh, you think you do, but you're wrong.

...sorry, I tend to bring that up when dealing with UK/Commonwealth folk...

I'll stop now.

Return to “General”