Lucid Dreaming - What's the deal?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Lucid Dreaming - What's the deal?

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:46 am UTC

This may very well be the shortest topic opener I've ever created, and it's redundant:
[Post]
What's the deal with lucid dreaming?
[/Post]
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:19 am UTC

"You're asleep, something crazy's going on and you say 'Wait a minute... this isn't real! How could I be having breakfast with the President at 9pm!"

... so, what exactly do you mean by "What's the deal with.." other than sounding like the start of a Jerry Seinfeld joke? Also, don't we have a dream thread?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

Basically, it's when you're aware you're dreaming, and can modify the dream.

Like "Hmm, I want a jetpack"
*jetpack appears*

I've never had one though... :(

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

I had a friend who was able to lucid dream but didn't have it entirely under control.

Basically, when she had nightmares involving monsters and stuff, she would just shoot the crap out of them.

In my case, my gun's bullets never seem to do damage. That and my body (in those kinds of dreams anyway) always feels lethargi and punches do little damage... mostly because I'm a bit aware that I'm sleeping and I'm kinda wrapped up in my blanket.

Damnit, now I want to go take a nap.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:31 pm UTC

I had a lucid dream once. It is often the case that when I have a scary dream I can force myself awake. One time when i was trying to wake up, I said to myself, well hey, this is a dream.

So instead of waking myself up, I hopped into a sweet car and gunned it :lol:
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

Okita wrote:In my case, my gun's bullets never seem to do damage. That and my body (in those kinds of dreams anyway) always feels lethargi and punches do little damage... mostly because I'm a bit aware that I'm sleeping and I'm kinda wrapped up in my blanket.

Same, I can't punch cause I'm probably physically trying to punch my mattress. (I lay more-or-less on my stomach)

Which makes it hard to fight off dobermans (man, that nightmare sucked)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

Ideally, you're meant to be paralyzed when you're in REM sleep, anyway.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 pm UTC

The only nightmare I ever have is where I'm running from something (no idea what), but I can barely move my legs. It's a most horrible feeling.

I've been trying to get my dreams a bit more under control recently, trying to recall them more, and interpret them. Dreaming has always fascinated me and the idea of lucid dreaming, while I have never had one, is tantalising.
Last edited by crazyjimbo on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

I sometimes get Lucid at the end of my dreams, but it's more that I'm narrating than I'm in control.

For example, I'm having a dream about a zombie apocalypse, suddenly, I think,
"man, it'd be cool if Optimus Prime helped out with these zombies!
I guess it'd be the movie version and he'd use that wrist-blade thing..."
Sure enough, in he comes, hacking up Zombies.

Then it slowly becomes less and less images, and more and more words, until I realise I'm dreaming and I kind of wake up.
My eyes are still closed, but I'm well aware of my surroudnings as I round off the story of the century.

I guess that's what you get for being an "English-y" kid...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

PandaFluff
Location: NH 9 months out of the year and PA the rest of the time

Postby PandaFluff » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

I pretty much have vivid dreams every night, so my mind is pretty well aware of what is a dream and what isn't. I haven't really tried to control my dreams in a while, because I think my subconscious doesn't do the whole "I'm in a dream! I can do whatever I want!" For me, it's more like "I'm in a dream. Let's try to keep this peaceful so I don't have a headache tomorrow."

It has however been extremely beneficial to me because I can have pretty intense nightmares about being chased or attacked. I've gotten to the point where I usually realize that I'm in a dream, at which point I can think of a clever escape route or some kind of deus ex machina to get me out of the situation. Also, when I used to have really bad nightmares, I would always be alone, or the people around me would be against me as well. Now I can usually "dream up" some person that I trust to be with me in the dream, and it's really eye-opening how much that actually helps me to manage the fear.
PF

swampangel

Postby swampangel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:18 pm UTC

Okita wrote:In my case, my gun's bullets never seem to do damage. That and my body (in those kinds of dreams anyway) always feels lethargi and punches do little damage... mostly because I'm a bit aware that I'm sleeping and I'm kinda wrapped up in my blanket.

I have the very same experience in dreams. I run slowly, move slowly, fight slowly.

I never thought about dream-guns before. I should try that next time I'm in a fight dream. Or maybe Force chokes. :P

My lucid dreams tend to be short-lived. I've never had flying dreams or anything like that ... in one of my favourite examples of my lucid dreaming, it was the middle of the night, but I wanted to go downtown. So I thought, in my dream, hmm, the bus should be stopping here any minute now. And I went outside, and there was the bus all lit up and waiting for me.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

Okita wrote:In my case, my gun's bullets never seem to do damage. That and my body (in those kinds of dreams anyway) always feels lethargi and punches do little damage...

+1. Sometimes I can kill stuff; other times it's tenacious. Though I do get to do kickass Matrix-type sequences.

I deal with that either by willing them out of existence or just waking up when I'm too frustrated to continue.

Ended

Postby Ended » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:32 pm UTC

I went through a phase where, whenever I had a lucid dream, I would dream myself a lightsaber, just to play around with it. It was so awesome, there'd be all this crazy shit happening in the dream and I'd completely ignore it and slice holes in walls instead.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

PandaFluff
Location: NH 9 months out of the year and PA the rest of the time

Postby PandaFluff » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

swampangel wrote:I run slowly, move slowly, fight slowly.

I know "try this" tends to be easier said than done in dreams... but try this: When you are trying to fight, run, or move in dreams, concentrate on not using your body to move - just think about how you want the action to be carried out.

Example: You are trying to run away from someone. Focus on a point that is far away, like up the street or across the house, or something. Picture yourself either just being there or getting there really fast.

The more you try to focus on willing your body to move, the harder it will become, because your body will try to actually move your limbs. The more surreal you can keep your movements, the easier they become.

Also, one trick I learned if you are running: I started running really fast in my dreams when i started to use things on the ground to move me along. For instance, i would grab on to the grass and pull myself forward quickly. It sounds strange, I know, but it worked for me. I think it's because when I went up the stairs when I was little, I would go up them using my arms and legs so that I could go faster. *shrug* you never know what's going to work for you.
PF

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

OH MAN. This thread reminded me of my dream from last night, that I otherwise would've forgotten. Awesome.

For some reason I was in a plane, (that part is hazy) and I fell out somehow, but instead of being scared I was just thinking "oh man.." and spreading myself out to slow down. I think I was in the army, cause I landed (which felt like a mild fall) beside some foreign village and a stranger helped me up. Then I made my way back to the plane, which had since landed, and I remember laughing and saying something like "Dude, I just fell 2000 metres, don't get me started."

I think this is all cause last week I was jumping off a 41ft cliff into water, and it was a great feeling.

It's weird how the dream was in no way unpleasant, even though after the fall I was bruised and walking funny. The impact even went slowmo, which I imagine is how my rational side justified my survival. The whole falling sensation was just "Wow, I think I'm gonna die, but THIS IS AWESOME" And then afterwards "Ow, ow... Eh, it was still worth it."

And it was one of those dreams that feel rooted in realism. I guess my subconscious sucks at gravity.

swampangel

Postby swampangel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

PandaFluff wrote:I know "try this" tends to be easier said than done in dreams... but try this: When you are trying to fight, run, or move in dreams, concentrate on not using your body to move - just think about how you want the action to be carried out.

I was thinking along these lines when I joked about the Force choke. It's the same idea. Don't think about how you're doing it, just about it being done.

But yeah, I've got to have the presence of mind to actually try it.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:The only nightmare I ever have is where I'm running from something (no idea what), but I can barely move my legs. It's a most horrible feeling.

I have this. I end up galloping on all fours. Somehow, clawing at the ground with my hands is faster than running. This really should be an indicator to trigger lucid dreaming but I haven't been able to do that yet.
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Lucid dreams are awesome. It's like gary's mod for a dream.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

I used to get a lot of extremely boring dreams.

I would dream that I was in my bed. Sleeping. The most exciting bit was that my bed would be in an incredibly weird place such as my high school corridor during class-change time.

Or maybe I'll dream that I was sleeping at a table or desk or something. I guess it was restful as Mitch Hedberg would say, "I hate dreaming. Because when you sleep, you wanna sleep. Dreaming is work, you know - there I am in a comfortable bed, the next thing you know I have to build a go-kart with my ex-landlord. I want a dream of me watching myself sleep."

Or maybe my subconcious is tired too.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

Almost all my dreams are at least semi-lucid now. I usually just end up playing video games though, which is fun until I wake up and realize I did not actually beat the game.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

Err, I guess it wasn't obvious enough, but good all the same comrades.

[TOPIC]
My question was really, what is the point, purpose, reason, and reason for desire, for lucid dreaming?
[/TOPIC]

I don't know it myself.

Also, I do have those dreams where something wondrous is happening and I wake up and continue the story in my head, without really reacting to the world, it's rather fun, but it completely prevents me from remembering them.

Of course, that's when the dream is a dream, rather than a nightmare.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

You can feel omnipotence. I presume that's why people like it.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

I've also read claims that people can communicate through their dreams. Although I suppose they are communicating with a subconcious version of someone else. But who knows?

Cai

Postby Cai » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

If you're really interested in it, and don't mind sitting through a sort of boring, but philosophically spurring movie, you could check out Waking Life. It's all about lucid dreaming and shit.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

on the other side of lucid dreaming, there are night terrors. night terrors are when your mind (consciousness) is mostly awake but your body is still sleeping. you are unable to move your body, so most people tend to feel like they are being held down and crushed.

related to this are hallucinogenic night terrors where you are pretty much awake and hallucinating. this happens to me at least once a year and it totally freaks me out.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

I can't even do lucid daydreams effectively.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

The last time I had a zombie nightmare(which happens about once a month) it ended as lucid dreaming, and for once it didn't end with me being devoured or lost on some hopeless deserted island or something equally lame. It was pretty fantastic and strange, because I don't know how to really deal with lucid dreaming. If I'm aware enough to say 'this isn't real, I can do *this*' then I usually wake up. The strangest is when I dream that I'm waking up, but I'm still dreaming... and then I usually do it about three times before I really wake up.
I can't really control my dreams because then I stop believing them, and if I stop believing them then what's the point of having them?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Which makes it hard to fight off dobermans (man, that nightmare sucked)

I had that nightmare several years ago myself!
Except instead of fighting, I tried to run. I could feel their breath (the bedsheets) on my legs. Apparently I was running in my sleep.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Tirobir

Postby Tirobir » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

I've gone lucid on several occasions and then I got reinvolved in the dream state and lost the lucidity. This happened once in this apocalyptic city where buildings were burning and parts of them were exploding. I became aware that it was an awful lot of destruction and went lucid. Then I saw that a bunch of people were in trouble so I went to go help them and went unlucid again.

I once had a dream that I was in the supermarket and somehow a car had rolled onto and parked on top of mine. So I stood over it and paused thinking, "If I decide I can do this, I can." Then I picked the car up and flipped it and whacked it on the ground a couple times before tossing it. I was going to repair the dents to my car but I woke up.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 pm UTC

Isn't there already a lucid dreaming thread?

Spot

Postby Spot » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:07 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:The strangest is when I dream that I'm waking up, but I'm still dreaming...

That happens to me sometimes. It's pretty annoying when I think to myself, "If I don't get up now, I'm going to be late." But then I just dream that I am getting up and eating breakfast until something else wakes me up.
This morning, I dreamed that I had woken up and was doing morning stuff before going to the lab. I wanted to see how much time I had left, and by some instinct, I woke myself up and looked over at the clock.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:19 am UTC

The worst lucid dream I can say is thinking the night before that you're gonna get up early to do homework. So you wake up early, sit down at your desk and write out genius papers. You finish everything so nicely, and then you look at your clock and realize that you can still sleep for an hour before you have to get ready to go, so you lay down in your bed and take a nap, only to really wake up at the time you have to get ready while not remembering the answers you wrote down in your dream.

Yeah, my life sucked while I had those dreams/homework.

Also, I once had a dream where one song would play continuously through out the background. I remember thinking that this must be a dream, but I prefer to let my dreams ride out and do what it may because it's much more interesting than making things happen on your own. Why drive at 150 mph in a Dodge Viper when you can drive at 200 mph inside a Octopus? (I shit you not)

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:09 am UTC

My dreams go off on crazy Tangents, this is usually somewhere between the whole "Making stories while awake" and the bit where the big bad wolf is murdering my family in a hotel (I hate those dreams, it's like alien... *Shudder*)

Anyway, I'd be running, and I have the image of myself running, then I think back to what I'm running from, and then, you know, anything I happen to be thinking about, then I go,
"Hang on, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE RUNNING AWAY FROM SOMETHING"
So I think back to that spot, but It's like I only have one bit of source material, like one of the crappy old Spiderman Cartoons, where they use the same Cells whenever he swings anywhere.
I'm always running in the same way, in the same place,
Then suddenly I'm somewhere else, and the plot continues...

(Side-note: Once Megatron punched the big bad wolf in the face while I flew away with Goku on Kin'to'un...
That was AWESOME)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

thornesandrose

Postby thornesandrose » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:54 pm UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:on the other side of lucid dreaming, there are night terrors. night terrors are when your mind (consciousness) is mostly awake but your body is still sleeping. you are unable to move your body, so most people tend to feel like they are being held down and crushed.

my brother has nigh terrors and its pretty freaky. He is laying there screaming at the top of his lungs and there is nothing you can do except try to calm him down. But the doctor told us not to wake him so it can be hard.

I'm working towards gaining control of my lucid dreams. I have them only on occasion. Its always me realizing the evil thing about to kill me is a dream and so I can suddenly fight back. I've had other where I wonder around town. The people are all ghetto or something really odd (for my town). But that has only been more recently.
In fact, now I come to think of it, do we decide questions, at all? We decide answers, no doubt: but surely the questions decide us?

Nosforit

Postby Nosforit » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:36 pm UTC

I try to gather data through experiment. What works, and what doesn't? Like someone here said, throwing punches isn't much effective at all in LDs, but I've discovered that choking or tearing your attackers apart does work.

I'm still not yet at the stage where I can begin to formulate and hypothesis for WHY things work the way they do in LDs even if I've been at it for about four years. It would however be interested to compare notes on what other people have noticed reoccurring in LDs. Might yield good info.

ED:
thornesandrose wrote:But the doctor told us not to wake him so it can be hard.

I find this advice highly questionable.
Submit.

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

For at least the past year, all of of my dreams have been, at least.. well, the best term I can think to use is 'pseudo-lucid'.

You know how when you dream, there's sometimes a seperation between your dream-self, and the 'self' that's watching your dream self? The times that I remember actually doing full-out-lucid dreaming, that 'watching' self was what realized that it was in a dream.

However, in many of my dreams nowadays, it is my dream self that realizes he is dreaming... and then continues to proceed with the dream. He will ocassionaly console other people by explaining that this is just a dream. At one point in time, the other dream-actors were skeptical, but after demonstrating that he could fly, they accepted my dream-self's claim.

Which does lead me to another point: Flight now seems to be a 'mundane' aspect of my dream self. That is to say, in a perfectly 'normal' dream ("The otters have gotten out of their pens in the disney world petting zoo and escaped into the river! Can you help us round them up?"), he can (and will) hover and fly, something which is treated as being *Completely normal* to everyone watching. For instance, hovering out over the afformentioned river to help try and catch the otters, instead of diving into it.

Time-reversal seems to pop up when I begin to head into a nightmare, too. (My dream self will concentrate and 'rewind' things). Or spontaneously develop the powers that my City of Heroes character has, although this sometimes requires 'convincing' the dream-world that I can, in fact, throw fire from my hands: One example I remember well is my dream self slinging his hand forward as though he were throwing a baseball.. and having absolutely nothing occur. After pausing for a moment and explaining to the dream world that he COULD, in fact, throw fire, he was able to do so on the second try with a small ammount of concentration.

This post is long enough already, so I'll save some of the wiereder dream stories (A Silent-Hill-4-ish dream that began to turn nightmare.. only to be averted by some third bit of my mind whipsering into the dream-self's ear that this was a dream.). Yes, my mind is very, very strange. >.>
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:47 am UTC

Okita wrote:I had a friend who was able to lucid dream but didn't have it entirely under control.

i'm the same way. i quite regular, during a dream, recognize:
  • this is a dream
  • i've had this dream before
  • i did XYZ last time i had this dream
  • i'll try ABC this time
but somehow, i can never seem to jump the gap to
  • this is my head, so i can do anything i want.
i've come close, gaining the ability to fly and such -- but i commonly fly in my dreams anyways.

however, i've had the OTHER kind of lucid dreaming experience too: sleep paralysis. i was lucid enough that i could wake myself up.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:50 am UTC

How do you know you're willingly modifying the dream and not just *thinking* you're modifying it?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:How do you know you're willingly modifying the dream and not just *thinking* you're modifying it?

Does it make a difference?

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:11 am UTC

I can't do this at all. In a dream, I sort of know it's a dream... but it's like, in my subconscious, and I only really realize it when I wake up.
I haven't had repetitive dreams in a long time either (not since the boss ghost killed me with knitting needles).

Return to “General”