Lucid Dreaming - What's the deal?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

e946

Postby e946 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:18 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:on the other side of lucid dreaming, there are night terrors. night terrors are when your mind (consciousness) is mostly awake but your body is still sleeping. you are unable to move your body, so most people tend to feel like they are being held down and crushed.

That's sleep paralysis. Night terrors are when you have nightmares during non-REM sleep, or st least that's how it was described to me..

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:42 pm UTC

3 out of the 4 times I've had a lucid dream I had weird, kinky sex.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

Sjonyonye

Postby Sjonyonye » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:32 am UTC

You are basically God in lucid dreams.

One thing I can't wait to explore is seeing what my subconscious can come up with. What will happen if I say, "What's the most hilarious joke ever?" It completely fascinates me that there is an entire unlimited world in my brain for me to explore and influence. *Great big sigh, hands clasped to my chin* With lucid dreaming, jumping into a toilet is an exciting adventure. Defying the laws of physics, everything.

You can also practice anything in a lucid dream: jumping into toilets, etc.

There is a difficult but reliable way to get lucid dreams. It involves tricking your body into falling asleep before your mind. I never realized that the mind falls asleep before the body, but I suppose it does. You have to completely relax your body, and ignore the cues it gives you to scratch an itch, or to swallow, or to move your arm or something. This is your body checking to see if you are asleep. Some people count or visualize a repetitive scene. Eventually you get a wave of vibrations all over your body, and hypnagogic imagery. I haven't been able to waltz into a dream just yet... but I MUST keep practicing this technique.

There's just so much lucid dream experimentation I want to do, so I better get real good at inducing and controlling them.

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 am UTC

I had a series of corny dreams tonight. One where I ended up on an island in the sea that was quickly sliding off the edge of the world, and I had to get to the mainland maybe a mile away. The rain fell heavily as I probed the water anchored to a steel wire and found it was too cold to swim. And I put my clothes on and eyed the rickety wooden boat tied to the rocky shore and prepared to row the thought occured to me, for no apparent reason, "Wait a minute, I'm dreaming, I'll just fly instead." And I did.

By the way the real trick to perform lucid dreaming is to convince yourself you can do it. Say "I'm going to have a lucid dream tonight" as you go to sleep, and say it like you mean it. It gets easier the more you realize how easy it is.

The power of mind over matter is questionable, but the mind has a lot of power over the mind. . .
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

Nosforit

Postby Nosforit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

arachnophilia wrote:but somehow, i can never seem to jump the gap to
  • this is my head, so i can do anything i want.

Try to decide beforehand what you're going to try to do.

For example, I'm currently trying to shove my hand into the ground, touch and pull up the object I desire, or have it manifest out of thin... Well, thin whatever dreams are made of. Usually I only get a weak approximation, but practice makes perfect.
Submit.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:04 am UTC

When I was younger, basically once a week from 5-12 I had really bad nightmares, that I sometimes remember randomly, I've had one lucid dream (maybe more?) I'm usually too stupid to do something cool, I kept punching myself in the nuts to wake up, then I ended up jumping real high, adn stealing stuff - too much Oblivion? - I think it was the night after me and my friend hired Oblivion out, and played it all night.
=]

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

e946 wrote:
scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:on the other side of lucid dreaming, there are night terrors. night terrors are when your mind (consciousness) is mostly awake but your body is still sleeping. you are unable to move your body, so most people tend to feel like they are being held down and crushed.

That's sleep paralysis. Night terrors are when you have nightmares during non-REM sleep, or st least that's how it was described to me..

ah yes, i knew i was missing something.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Enigma90825

Postby Enigma90825 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

I've had a lucid dream before, and it was really neat because I was just around my town and got to go do whatever the hell I wanted with all my friends... I actually looked into them a while ago and apparently you can train yourself to have them. Supposedly (since I never tested this) one way is to constantly check a clock, even if you already know what time it is. Then once in a dream you'll check a clock and they say clock times are never the same in the dreams, so then you'd realize its a dream. Like I said, none of this was confirmed...

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:02 am UTC

I can confirm it; the time is never the same from one moment to the next in dreams. There are other methods too, for example one girl I read about made it a habit to see if she was dreaming whenever she saw a body of water. Whatever works for you. . . the key is to be confident that you will have lucid dreams to start with, like I said above.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

anterovipunen

Dreams? wtf?!?

Postby anterovipunen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

I always find it interesting when people talk about dreams because its not something i've ever experienced. I probably do dream but i've never been able to remember a dream in the morning. I'm a very deep sleeper so maybe thats significant. Anyway my friend was talking to me the other day about "Lucid Dreaming" which sounds so cool. You train yourself over a couple of months to question all the time whether you're dreaming or not and then hopefully when it comes to your dream, you'll question whether it is a dream, realise it is and then you can take control of your dream and fly around and shit. You also train yourself to try to remember your dream as soon as you wake up.... I dunno, i'm not sure I even know what a dream is so I diddn't know what to imagine but its a cool idea. Can you explain what dreams are to me - sounds odd i know.... and anyone else not remember their dreams in the morning... ever! am i missing out?

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Dreams? wtf?!?

Postby parkaboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

to quote my anthropology teacher, "I'm a champion dreamer. I love dreaming. Its like free movies EVERY NIGHT."

I don't know all the chemical bits behind it, but I'd say dreaming is pretty cool. Sometimes you remember a lot, sometimes nothing. Sometimes just tiny little snippets. My dreams range from really boring, to extremely dark and confusing. Last night, I dreamt that i asked a squirrel if it was a girl. It was just a normal squirrel! then i woke up.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Re: Lucid Dreaming - What's the deal?

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

My lucid dreaming powers are limited - the best I've ever managed is to re-wind the dream and try taking a different course of action. Almost like having dream save-points.

segmentation fault

Re:

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:The only nightmare I ever have is where I'm running from something (no idea what), but I can barely move my legs. It's a most horrible feeling.

i get the same dreams. like im trying to run but feels like im running in water.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

I lucid dream. Unfortunately, they're all pretty mundane.

It's not so much that I add jetpacks and guns into the dream, but more of "I'm hungry, I'm going to go over there and get food"... and nothing significant happens. <_<

Owehn

Postby Owehn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

I've tried a few times to train myself to lucid dream, but almost invariably the tests to see whether I'm dreaming stop working. Like the time I looked around and decided that the subway you go on when you die was too real to be a dream. Or when I checked a clock, looked away, and looked back to see that all the numbers had become randomly lit - apparently this is standard dream behavior, but in my case the clock had just chosen that moment for its batteries to run down.

So I've never gotten far past the "figure out that you're dreaming" stage.
[This space intentionally left blank.]

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

I once had a lucid dream that turned into a sexeul fantasy about teletubbies. also, even when you know you're dreaming, forcing yourself awake requiers immense effort, as if someone's little brother is pulling your eyelids down.
It rains on the enemy too!

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

When I was younger, not so much now... I had Lucid Nightmares...
Read into that what you will, it strikes me as an Analyst's field day...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

TheMagicalTurtle wrote:I lucid dream. Unfortunately, they're all pretty mundane.

It's not so much that I add jetpacks and guns into the dream, but more of "I'm hungry, I'm going to go over there and get food"... and nothing significant happens. <_<
Ok, so I had the perfect example of this just last night. I dream that I've been kidnapped by some cult and I'm breaking out. Sounds exciting, yes? Alright, so I get a staff and start ninja-ing my way out... but no one gives a crap. There's like, one guy that's serious about the whole thing, and everyone else just sorta lets me go on my way. Even the leader of the cult is more interested in me not busting up his car when I escape than the fact that I'm actually escaping.

Even my exciting dreams turn mundane.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

TheMagicalTurtle wrote: Ok, so I had the perfect example of this just last night. I dream that I've been kidnapped by some cult and I'm breaking out. Sounds exciting, yes? Alright, so I get a staff and start ninja-ing my way out... but no one gives a crap. There's like, one guy that's serious about the whole thing, and everyone else just sorta lets me go on my way. Even the leader of the cult is more interested in me not busting up his car when I escape than the fact that I'm actually escaping.

Even my exciting dreams turn mundane.

Oooh, send that idea to Rockstar. Grand Theft Auto: Mundane Edition. Rated U

Edit:I try the whole 'gun' thing when I get lucid, but it never works out. I usually think, "ooh, lucid. I can do anything. Now, don't wake up. Don't wake up. Don't wake..."
"... up. Fucking alarm clocks."

But I tend to wake up anyway soon after becoming lucid. So annoying. I don't even get to experiment with a zombie apocalypse while I'm there. Grr.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Unicyclist

Re:

Postby Unicyclist » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:I sometimes get Lucid at the end of my dreams, but it's more that I'm narrating than I'm in control.

For example, I'm having a dream about a zombie apocalypse, suddenly, I think,
"man, it'd be cool if Optimus Prime helped out with these zombies!
I guess it'd be the movie version and he'd use that wrist-blade thing..."
Sure enough, in he comes, hacking up Zombies.

Then it slowly becomes less and less images, and more and more words, until I realise I'm dreaming and I kind of wake up.
My eyes are still closed, but I'm well aware of my surroudnings as I round off the story of the century.

I guess that's what you get for being an "English-y" kid...

I get those all the time, I tend to refer to them as lucid. It's such an odd feeling, when it gets to the point that you're just thinking about what you want to happen, but nothing does. The end is so depressing...

Though, whenever I wake up from these "lucid" dreams, I'm more refreshed then If I just got out of the usual coma.
don't plow that beautiful field!

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Recently I was having a dream about some people I mnow, but then I realized it was a dream so I forced myself awake.

I used to have lucid dreams a lot when I was about 10-14. I think they're awesome.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

A while ago I was having a semi-lucid dream, and it suddenly became super-super-lucid. As in, textures were crystal sharp, colours were vivid, my mind was coherent...etc. At this point in the dream, I'm lying on the floor in my dining room, looking at the carpet for some reason. So, I try to get up. Nothing happens. I wave my hand in front of my face. Nothing happens. The dream stays perfectly static.

It turns out that my eyes were actually open (hence the super-vivid images), and somehow my brain was interpreting the view of my bedroom wall/cupboard as the floor of my dining room, in order to fit into the dream. (e.g., the green towel hanging up on the wall provided the green colour of the dining room floor). As I woke up, my interpretation of the images gradually shifted back to normal.

The brain is awesome, man.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

The Hyphenator

Re:

Postby The Hyphenator » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Okita wrote:I had a friend who was able to lucid dream but didn't have it entirely under control.

Basically, when she had nightmares involving monsters and stuff, she would just shoot the crap out of them.

In my case, my gun's bullets never seem to do damage. That and my body (in those kinds of dreams anyway) always feels lethargi and punches do little damage... mostly because I'm a bit aware that I'm sleeping and I'm kinda wrapped up in my blanket.

Damnit, now I want to go take a nap.

So when you can control it you call it "lucid dreaming"? Did not know.

My favorite lucid dream is when I was at my old school and realized I was dreaming, then broke a door with a baseball that I... conjured. Then I ran out the door and saw a teacher. I materialized a machine gun and began shooting, and the teacher fell*.

Finally, I ran across the parking lot and started flying... higher and higher... and woke up.

*Not that I would, um, want to kill teachers or anything.

SEMI-OFF-TOPIC:
Has anyone had what I call a "meta-dream", or a dream inside a dream? Basically, you realize the "inner" dream is a dream and think you've woken up, but are really still in the outer dream. I used to have these ALL THE TIME. Like, every night. Sometimes they even combine with a lucid dream. Which is... interesting.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Unicyclist

Re: Re:

Postby Unicyclist » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:40 am UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:Has anyone had what I call a "meta-dream", or a dream inside a dream? Basically, you realize the "inner" dream is a dream and think you've woken up, but are really still in the outer dream. I used to have these ALL THE TIME. Like, every night. Sometimes they even combine with a lucid dream. Which is... interesting.

Thinking about thinking in your thoughts.
don't plow that beautiful field!

raistlin

Postby raistlin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:18 am UTC

Ive never had a Lucid Dream, Ive had my share of weird dreams mind you. But, the worst thing is when you become fully conscious while your body is still asleep. ~Being mentally awake with no control what so ever of your physical body.

Anyone know what thats called?
Give a man fire, he will be warm for an hour.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:09 am UTC

raistlin wrote:Ive never had a Lucid Dream, Ive had my share of weird dreams mind you. But, the worst thing is when you become fully conscious while your body is still asleep. ~Being mentally awake with no control what so ever of your physical body.

Having your life-force drained by your cat.

Seriously though, that sounds really creepy, I hope I never get it...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Tantarian

Postby Tantarian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:41 am UTC

I had a few lucid dreams when I was a child, but I haven't had one in years. Most of them became lucid just before I woke up, so they were quite dissapointing.

Over the last 3 months I've been trying to remember my dreams after I wake up (and write them down), but I've been forgetting to tell myself to remember my dreams before going to sleep.

I want to start lucid dreaming, mostly to ask my dreams what they mean and do crazy stuff.

raistlin

Postby raistlin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:
raistlin wrote:Ive never had a Lucid Dream, Ive had my share of weird dreams mind you. But, the worst thing is when you become fully conscious while your body is still asleep. ~Being mentally awake with no control what so ever of your physical body.

Having your life-force drained by your cat.

Seriously though, that sounds really creepy, I hope I never get it...

Yeah, it is.

Its happened to me about 4 times since starting college. The first time was the worst because I thought I was in a coma, which realy freaked me out.

I kind of feel like those people talking about being abducted by aliens whenever I talk about it to others. I here realy fucked up noises like offbeat footsteps and people speaking a weird mixture of French, Greek, and English. Once I felt like I was walking around, but I still had no control of my body.
Give a man fire, he will be warm for an hour.
Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Shabooty

Postby Shabooty » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:33 am UTC

I remember one dream where at the end of it I said something to the effect of "I'm bored with this dream". At that point I woke up.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Yeah I'm pretty sure we have a thread on this.

In other news: Shabooty your sig owns.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

wst

Postby wst » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:10 am UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:Has anyone had what I call a "meta-dream", or a dream inside a dream? Basically, you realize the "inner" dream is a dream and think you've woken up, but are really still in the outer dream. I used to have these ALL THE TIME. Like, every night. Sometimes they even combine with a lucid dream. Which is... interesting.

Yes. Had these. I woke up about 5 times in that dream before I really woke up. One of the subdreams was third person, I only realised when I saw myself (a-la platform side scroller game) running down the stairs.
I was terrified, I thought I'd never wake up, I'd keep on waking up to find it was a dream. Luckily, I think I'm awake now. (Yes, you could all be from my subconscious. I hate thinking stuff like that, it hurts my brain. Oh me yarm I created emos! (or my subconscious did ;)) See my problem?)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 am UTC

I remember reading a couple of years ago of a simple method to take control of your dreams. If i remember correctly, what you do is simply make a habit of carrying around a note in your pocket which reads "This is a dream", and take it out of your pocket regularly and read it. This behaviour will then transfer into your dreams, increasing your awareness of dreaming or something to that effect. Havn't tried it myself though.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 am UTC

wst wrote:

Yes. Had these. I woke up about 5 times in that dream before I really woke up. One of the subdreams was third person, I only realised when I saw myself (a-la platform side scroller game) running down the stairs.
I was terrified, I thought I'd never wake up, I'd keep on waking up to find it was a dream. Luckily, I think I'm awake now. (Yes, you could all be from my subconscious. I hate thinking stuff like that, it hurts my brain. Oh me yarm I created emos! (or my subconscious did ;)) See my problem?)

No you didn't, it was me, I imagine you, and this post. And everything - and I can never die!

Solipsism for the win!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

wst

Postby wst » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:No you didn't, it was me, I imagine you, and this post. And everything - and I can never die!

You just broke my brain. I'm gonna sue your arse big time. That thing was almost... a part of me! I neede it for the tetrahydrocannibol receptors. Now they're broken. *cry*

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

wst wrote:

5 times? :shock: My largest one was, I think, three or four times. Usually they're two, just an inner and an outer. The outer is usually very realistic, which is unusual for me in dreams. Adds to the freakyness.

And yes, I am from your subconscious. Tell everyone your biggest secret... stop holding it in... we all know what it is anyway, because we're part of you...
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
wst wrote:

No you didn't, it was me, I imagine you, and this post. And everything - and I can never die!

Solipsism for the win!

I can never prove all you guys are real anyway, but for the sake of convenience, I just assume you're there in some form.

I started a dream journal again today. I want lucid dreams again :)

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

I've had a few lucid dreams (I had one last night, in fact) since I was little.

My favourite is a recurring dream I've had since I was about 8 (around the time I started playing Resident Evil games, as a matter of fact)...

I'm in a forest... well... a jungle...

...wait, I forgot to set up the dream...

Me and my family are in a jeep. We are going on a family holiday to Center Parcs, and we arrive, and it's MEGA overgrown. So we drive in, and suddenly we are surrounded by zombies (poor, PS1, almost 2D zombies) and I then realise I'm dreaming, and then I generally get a shotgun, go on a rampage, rescue my family by helicopter, then suddenly, for no raisin, I am in a brothel, of sorts, and then my dream descends into a mass of kinky, crazy, insanely fun, orgy sex.

Come to think of it...

...all my dreams descend into sex.

I guess that says a lot about me.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

No time to read it all, but when lucid and not able to do what you want, stop thinking about doing something in isolation and think about effecting the consequences instead.

So don't just fire the gun, also hurt the monster.

I've been a lucid dreamer for a long time. Not all the time, but often enough. I'm also good at just waking out of problematic dreams, even when not fully lucid.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Tangential relation: Has anyone else ever gone to sleep and felt as if they woke up a mere seconds later? As in, "hey, why am I being woken up so soon... wait, what?"

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Yes, yes, that feeling absolutely.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Return to “General”