What's your favorite location in your school or college?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gadren

What's your favorite location in your school or college?

Postby Gadren » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Wondering about this because yesterday I went to a place called the CADE Lab in one of the engineering buildings at the University of Utah. It's a small place, nestled into one of the corners of the engineering building, and it's hard to find unless you know exactly what you're looking for (feels something like a Platform 9.75). The temperature is cool, but not chilly like some of my classrooms are -- mainly it feels like "cool with a purpose," if that makes any sense; having a calculus class be cold serves no purpose, but having a computer lab be cool at least gives the sense that it's that way to keep the machines cooled. It's also just slightly dark, which gives me the feeling of a cave but without any claustrophobia. There's also a nice ambient hum from all the computers and servers that are running in that room. And finally, all the computers are CentOS workstations, which is a little icing on the top in a Windows-dominated university.

I hope I'm not rambling or being overdramatic, but when I first entered that room, it felt almost like some sort of transcendent experience. What sorts of places on campus do you really like and why?

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

Theres a weird hallway area in my school that nobody used to use for some reason, so I would go there with my friends. There were tables, and it overlooked the atrium. It's hell of nice, but then the administration kicked us out because it's "unsupervised".
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

kcr

Postby kcr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

There's one part of my school that's really old (the rest has been renovated over the years, but not this part), and I like to hang out there. It's just got a weird feel to it, like all the spaces are really narrow and the stairs are slanted and messed up but my friends and I like it. Also, we use the classrooms to hang out in because one is a "counseling room" which never has anyone in it, and the other belongs to a very chill teacher who lets us congregate there. Sometimes after school or during free periods we watch youtube on the counseling room computer and use the overhead projector, or watch movies.

Castaway wrote:but then the administration kicked us out because it's "unsupervised".

Bleh I hate that. Once the principal came into the classroom when we were hanging out and told us to "wrap it up." It was after school so we weren't bugging any other classes, there was no one left on the floor... lame.

And I really like the auditorium/theater probably because I spend so much time there anyways, and I dunno, I love it. The only people who go in just to hang out are theater kids I'm friends with. Plus, it's a big space for a small group of people at any given time. It's nice.

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

My atmosphere lab room, which I will be attending a class in this semester :D

One wall is covered with about two dozen monitors, which are usually occupied by atmosphere-related images and models and loops.

Another wall is dominated by a couch.

The third wall has a row of 10 computer stations for work.

And lastly, the main wall is open for the projector, which has a station with two monitors, both of which can be written on with a stylus.

For weather geeks, it is heaven.
The Immortal One.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

When I was a senior in high school, I dropped a class with a friend to work on a "senior project" during the second semester. We were programming (realistically, learning about programming) a computer game.

There was a small room within the computer lab that was the "multimedia center" which my friend and I basically co-opted and turned into our private office. Twas amazing. Had a color printer and a double screen computer (+ another computer) and we were already using it a majority of the beginning of the year. We ended up just staying there almost all the time working on all sorts of school projects (video related/ perplex city) instead of the actual game we were going to make. Still ended up producing enough results to get a good grade though. Huzzah!

I miss our office...

In college, when I used to intern at the college radio station, I liked to hang out there and browse through their music collection. There were vinyls from yeaaaaaaars back. Djs would right stuff on them (recommendations and whatnot) and I found a Bob Dylan vinyl from years back on which an old Dj had written "This guy will never become anything. It sucks. Don't play it on the air".

Heh. I stopped hanging out there because I realized though that the other Dj's were not very friendly/ didn't really want me there. Pity.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

Where did you go to college?

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

Actually, I'm still in college.

But I'm not going to tell you where. I learned enough from the first time.

Castaway wrote:Haha, now with your relative age I've stolen your identity!
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

fryman

Postby fryman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

I like the 23rd floor of my dorm. It's not accessible by elevator, so few people actually know/care about it. It's split into two parts with tables and large, comfortable chairs. There's also a piano, but it is in disrepair. The view is fantastic, especially at night.
3 am is a good time to head out to the courtyard in the residence complex. If you can't sleep, you can get a good laugh from the people stumbling around outside, coming back from their parties. I'm sure they aren't laughing the next morning.
Open source sigs? Here, use mine!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

I've left campus, but am answering anyhow.

I had two favourite places, both right by the library.

The first was an outdoor walkway that went from the outside of the library, past the music building, up to the student center. It was definitely one of the more interesting bits of campus, with one part of it ending in the so-called "riot stairs," which were rumoured to have been designed specifically to thwart a mob from moving through it with its shallow steps that were quite long, one bit headed over to a small amphitheater type thing, and the other ending at the second story entrance to the student center. There were benches, and bits overlooking the music portion of the library, and it was just generally a fairly quiet place to hang out.

The other bit was sort of in the library itself, but no one seemed to go there too often - myself included, honestly. Some sort of tower-like part of the building that had a fairly isolated bunch of rooms which were pretty neat-looking, and fairly quiet.

Actually, the music building was pretty cool as well, with its ridiculous three eras of construction causing there to be a half level difference between one side of the building and the other. A group of folks used to play laser tag in the building a lot, just because of how wacky the setup was, and therefore how much easier it was to make chases interesting.

Weird, I miss that place, now, and the town is like a hellhole of nothingness.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Granted I only got here a week ago, but so far my favorite place (given my lack of emotional connections to anywhere on campus yet) is a little alcove next to one of the waterfalls in one of the gorges. There's a little stone bench, and you can just sit around absorbing the waterfall aura.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

On the 3 1/2th floor (the floor plan in one of the buildings of my high school is fucked right up - there are 3 storeys, but 8 identifiable heights as you walk from one end to the other) of my school, there's a very large picture window that overlooks the walkway across to the other building. The walkway is bordered by two large fields, and is lined with some kind of tree that blossoms in spring.

If it's snowing, or they're blossoming, it's the greatest sight in the school.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Actually, I'm still in college.

But I'm not going to tell you where. I learned enough from the first time.

Castaway wrote:Haha, now with your relative age I've stolen your identity!

Oh man, I'm so embarrassed...

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

Back in college there was this area in the sub-basement of one of the academic buildings, the sign to the doors read "Non-Hazardous Waste". What it really meant was computer graveyard. I used to go in with a group of other people periodically and loot it of parts and odds and ends. I believe it earned the nickname of 'the Jawa pit'. Sadly now the place is typically locked so no more midnight raids.
This space intentionally left blank.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

I have a couple places on campus I really like...if I'm feeling really antisocial, I go out in the middle of the night to the grove of trees in the center of campus and plop down for a while. It's dark and comfy.

When it's cold in the winter, I go hang out in the greenhouses between classes; they have a little koi pond/bridge setup and such, it's a nice break from the nasty bleakness outside.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

When I go to college I would like to make my room the place where I most want to hang out.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

Castaway wrote:When I go to college I would like to make my room the place where I most want to hang out.

You won't if your roommate brings his girlfriend home at night.

Then again...maybe you will. Dilemna.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

Well, what I really want is a single.
I'm a dreamer.

hurrah, 2000 posts! and still no title.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

If your roommate sleeps with his girlfriend every night in your room, what do you do then? If they're nice, be quiet and pretend they're not there, if they're drunk, help clean them up (true story)

I have a number of favorite places, all outdoors where people hardly travel to. They're all nice and quiet and relaxing, good places to think. But inside, it would have to be my work office, on a floor away from all the classrooms, so there are hardly interruptions when I'm doing something.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:if they're drunk, help clean them up (true story)

Please god elaborate. Did you spray them with a hose or something?

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Considering it was becoming winter and the temperature outside was around 20 F, no. I was actually the designated non-drinker to watch them as it was both their first times (I think) and eventually they started stumbling around and such, ended up prepping the shower and making sure they got in. Needless to say, they didn't remember what happened the next morning, but the smell was still there...

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

Castaway wrote:Well, what I really want is a single.
I'm a dreamer.

An entire area of campus devoted to freshman-only housing means an abundance of first-year singles.

One of which is now mine.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

chaosspawn wrote:Sadly now the place is typically locked so no more midnight raids.

I fail to see why it being locked should make any difference. I've picked plenty of locks in my day using nothing more than a paperclip and one of my omnipresent multitools. School locks (in my experience), tend to be among the cheapest and easiest to break locks around (for most of the double-doors at my school, including all the storage rooms, you could easily open them simply by grabbing both of the handles and jerking them towards you, and they'd pop open). Also, fun to randomly break into peoples lockers when they use the simple Master Locks that every school seems to hand out and re-arrange everything.

mister k

Postby mister k » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

At Bath I always kind of liked this computer lab which nobody knew about, so we could just hang out there and mess about between lectures. Sadly in my final year the uni had become a bit full, and it was rare that it wasn't being used for classes. I was fond of sitting by the lake, but thats hardly original. I also liked the bar. Thats a nice thing. Hah, I bet you don't have university bars in the US cause you're all too young or something. Ah that would be priceless. Crazy Americans and your age laws!

sunkistbabe1

Re: What's your favorite location in your school or college?

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

In high school i usually hung out with my friends outside in this little courtyard that hardly anyone went to. There was a few picnic tables, and a small square painted over on this one roadway that was the only place on school grounds the smokers could go. I wasn't a smoker but a lot of my friends were.

In college I didn't see much besides the computer lab and the coffee room the floor above. :)

Outside of the college our favorite place was a local pub that had video trivia... and beer.
- Sunkist -

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:35 am UTC

So many great places in my high school. My former Calc and EuroHist rooms were really nice last year - one the picture of peace, the other lined with good books and interesting artefacts.
There's also a corner in my library that is only visible if you look at just the right angle. Perfect for avoiding human contact.
Finally, there's an entrance to my school that's locked from the outside but not from the inside. But if you jam it, no problem! :) Most people think it's not open, so my friends and I are left alone. There's a large deserted stairwell from the entrance to the main floor of the school, that's not bad for seeking refuge either.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:35 am UTC

Castaway, I can't stress this enough... STAY OUT OF YOUR ROOM. Studying there is acceptable, should you panic about something specific, but for the love of god, college is meant to be a public forum where ideas and techniques are shared and refined... I'm not saying you should try to love everyone there, but go to places that appeal to you... chances are that spot will appeal to someone similar, and voila: Study-buddy/friend.

I was a shut in as a pre-Med student, and consequently became a troll who hated my flat mates and the subject material that once fascinated me.

The only place I can think of that really grew on me in my college years was the courtyard outside our student center, where I would share a pizza with a girl whose name I hadn't learned. There were thousands of people on campus with names I didn't care to know, she had one that I did, and therefore had an advantage I'd have preferred to let her keep. When we did finally hear one another's names the first time we actually shared a class, we stopped meeting for pizza, and never talked again.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:51 am UTC

ifeedlions: Interesting advice. I'm kind of a recluse, and hadn't really considered leaving my room (except for class) during uni, but I suppose I can handle being in public. As long as no one looks at/tries to talk to me. :?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

williamager

Postby williamager » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:36 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:ifeedlions: Interesting advice. I'm kind of a recluse, and hadn't really considered leaving my room (except for class) during uni, but I suppose I can handle being in public. As long as no one looks at/tries to talk to me. :?

Please do leave your room from time to time. Staying in ones room at university is not only dull for oneself, but also for those who do leave their rooms, only to find that no one else is outside.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:46 am UTC

Leave your rooms, people. Please.

Places:
The freshman dorms had this setup with two wings and a central lounge with TV, probably-broken vending machine, table, chairs, and couch for every floor. I lived on third floor with one of my best friends on fifth. The lounges for those two floors became the home of card games, Settlers, Mythbusters, anime marathons, Guitar Hero mini-tournaments, and more. Unfortunately I can't get into there anymore since the building has keyed access.

The second floor of the student union building is a favorite hangout; the sci-fi/fantasy club and anime club offices are concentrated in one corner (other sufficiently large/influential student offices are also there, surrounding a central work area) and we all hang out there. There's a TV in the SFF club room (these all have glass windows to the work area, so the TV points out to it) so people often watch movies and play sundry video games and the like. It's a good place to eat lunch, especially since the place with the Good Sandwiches (tm) is downstairs. At night, it's a great place to hold a RPG. I've made many friends in that place.

We also have a botanical gardens on campus and that's just plain nice. Speaking of which, I should feed those turtles sometime...
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:48 am UTC

I really don't like my school. Not any part of it.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:13 am UTC

While I lived in the dorms, I was addicted to midnight walks around campus. Especially if I had an emotional day. Pretty much anywhere that was outside, on campus, and at 3am was (and is) my favorite place. One of the best places was the clocktower.

I would walk there, sit underneath for an hour or so, and walk back. Maybe I'll go to campus tomorrow night for a strole...

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:04 am UTC

Rasputin wrote:My atmosphere lab room, which I will be attending a class in this semester :D

One wall is covered with about two dozen monitors, which are usually occupied by atmosphere-related images and models and loops.

Another wall is dominated by a couch.

The third wall has a row of 10 computer stations for work.

And lastly, the main wall is open for the projector, which has a station with two monitors, both of which can be written on with a stylus.

For weather geeks, it is heaven.

*Drool*

Our weather center has a wall of computers, 2 nice couches, a middle table of computers, three flat screen TVs mounted next to the map wall, a really big TV that most of the time has an IR or visible satellite loop running and a balcony.

I like being there.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Oort

Postby Oort » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:07 am UTC

Master Gunner: How did you learn to pick locks? I've tried (including regular combo locks) and I got nowhere.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:15 am UTC

i learned to pick locks at a certain club at my school. purely as a form of recreation, of course. i'm pretty bad at it, actually, but the guy I learned from won a competition in Vegas. anyway, check your local laws before you go buying/making picks; they can be illegal to possess.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:18 am UTC

Anywhere that ISN'T covered in ferns and giant coniferous treecover.

Those raptors stalk the grounds during misty mornings, I'm telling you!
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:43 am UTC

When I started uni, for the first couple of years, it was all about two places: the uni bar and the pool room. The bar if we wanted wedges/nachos/beer, and the pool room...basically whenever we weren't in class. We spent a lot of money there.

Unfortunately time went on, people left and social places just aren't any fun without friends. Being the last person in your group of friends to graduate kinda sucks. These days I spend a fair bit of time working on my project in the 1.4MW wind tunnel, which is kinda cool because there ain't nobody getting in there who doesn't know how to get there, so I'm savouring that elitist feeling. Plus, y'know, five metre high fan blades are cool.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:32 am UTC

There was this nice roof area that could be accessed via stairs, door, ladder. Unfortunately, the frame of the door got changed so I couldn't slide it anymore, and I'm not good enough at picking locks. *le sigh*.

There are also some steam tunnels that are kinda cool, but I rarely go down there anymore.. once you've seen one, it's not that interesting, really.

The math lounge is a nice place to hang around, if I'm feeling vaguely social.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 am UTC

Sanshiro pond(*) is awesome!!

Too bad it's at Hongo campus (the main campus of Tokyo University, which is almost an hour travel from here) and my lab is at Komaba campus, so I can't go there very often. But I make sure to walk past it every time I have to be at Hongo for whatever reason.

(*) Yeah I accidentally named it "lake" in the captions for those pictures. It's a pond, not a lake.
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

Oort wrote:Master Gunner: How did you learn to pick locks? I've tried (including regular combo locks) and I got nowhere.

Mostly I just learned to do it while being bored during times that my code was compiling or my 3D scenes and videos were rendering, so I started to fool around with locks. The internet has plenty of resources out there, and making a bump-key is easy enough to do.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

In 7th grade I used to hang out with my friends under a staircase. We were really cool.

Return to “General”