Anyone here sick or know someone who is?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

FlapjackStudios

Anyone here sick or know someone who is?

Postby FlapjackStudios » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Yeah so it's a weird question but does anyone here know someone who is sick? Could be a relative, friend a pet or even you. I found out recently when looking through forums that a lot of creative folk are sick. Some depression here and there but strangely enough, I'm discovering a lot of ppl have medium to serious illnesses.

To follow up on the "sick artists" statement, I happen to be ill myself. Something to do with muscles and food allergies. My left side is primarily affected and I do most of my drawing with my right hand so that's good. When I get really bad I can't even stand though. It makes it a real pain when all you want to do is draw comics. Anyone else relate?

Anyways, that's it.

Cleverbeans

Re: Anyone here sick or know someone who is?

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 am UTC

I have major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. There are some studies that show people with mental illness are more drawn to creative professions, so it's not too surprising that you're noticing the trend. It's a more common problem than most people think.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Moach

Postby Moach » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I got ADHD (aka ADD)

but It's not as much a sickness as it is a superpower... depends on how you deal with it.

when I was a kid, It meant only one thing, and that was: trouble. Of course, back then they only called it "misbehavior" and "ritalin" was not the household name it is today...

these days, once having gotten a true handle on this arguably non-disease condition, I can confidently say that if I was given a choice - I'd choose to keep it. As it means my brain works a lot faster and makes much broader connections between given facts than most "regular" brains usually do.

and also, according to Morgan Freeman and his wonderfully narrated presentation of science - This so called "disorder" has been claimed to be a large part of the behavioral drive that got early humans to migrate from Africa to other parts of the world. Being a genetic trait, (not a disease) It has been referred to as "the migration gene". This also explains why this type of personality is so much more commonly found in the western world, which is relatively "new" as far as history goes...

and whadda you know - I've just become an Immigrant myself :D
** looks out window, sees the Canadian Rockies to the North... ** - Yep, this is not the same place I was born! :mrgreen:

On a related not, I know of at least 3 people who've had or still may have a pretty nasty case of the Flu over the past few weeks... Seems there's a bug going around - I hope I don't catch it :roll:

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Moach wrote:** looks out window, sees the Canadian Rockies to the North... ** - Yep, this is not the same place I was born! :mrgreen:

I believe you mean the Coast Mountains. The Rockies are too far from Vancouver to be seen, you'd have to drive east a few hours to see them.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

teelo

Postby teelo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Um. I'm recovering from a cold?

FlapjackStudios

Postby FlapjackStudios » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:I have major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. There are some studies that show people with mental illness are more drawn to creative professions, so it's not too surprising that you're noticing the trend. It's a more common problem than most people think.

Yeah, that's what I'm just recently noticing. Some people also have a lot of food allergies too. Very odd ones that contribute to their ill health. Like grains, nuts, dairy, even raw fruits and veggies. What? Crazy.

Moach wrote:I got ADHD (aka ADD)

but It's not as much a sickness as it is a superpower... depends on how you deal with it.

when I was a kid, It meant only one thing, and that was: trouble. Of course, back then they only called it "misbehavior" and "ritalin" was not the household name it is today...

these days, once having gotten a true handle on this arguably non-disease condition, I can confidently say that if I was given a choice - I'd choose to keep it. As it means my brain works a lot faster and makes much broader connections between given facts than most "regular" brains usually do.

and also, according to Morgan Freeman and his wonderfully narrated presentation of science - This so called "disorder" has been claimed to be a large part of the behavioral drive that got early humans to migrate from Africa to other parts of the world. Being a genetic trait, (not a disease) It has been referred to as "the migration gene". This also explains why this type of personality is so much more commonly found in the western world, which is relatively "new" as far as history goes...

and whadda you know - I've just become an Immigrant myself :D
** looks out window, sees the Canadian Rockies to the North... ** - Yep, this is not the same place I was born! :mrgreen:

On a related not, I know of at least 3 people who've had or still may have a pretty nasty case of the Flu over the past few weeks... Seems there's a bug going around - I hope I don't catch it :roll:

Word. On a related note, I hope you don't catch it either.

FlapjackStudios

Postby FlapjackStudios » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Anyone else here get carpel tunnel? Man that's nasty.

Moach

Postby Moach » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:
Moach wrote:** looks out window, sees the Canadian Rockies to the North... ** - Yep, this is not the same place I was born! :mrgreen:

I believe you mean the Coast Mountains. The Rockies are too far from Vancouver to be seen, you'd have to drive east a few hours to see them.

Yeah, that just might be it then - remember that I've been living here for just about a month... and 95% of my somewhat uncanny spatial awareness of the local geography comes from endless hours of Flight Simulator - alas, it doesn't do much for my PoI-naming abilities, I may know where a lot of stuff is, but I usually don't really know what to call those places using "people words" (unless I google it first) :roll:

this is quite a weird situation socially at time - people don't seem to directly relate to how a human being might know where something is, and how to there, but at the same time would not find as easy to follow verbally given directions for that same end (which would rely on knowing the names for those places :lol: )

and every now and then I might throw a line such as "that pointy bit of land south of those two long things protruding into the water" into actual conversation... that gets me some weird looks, specially when people do know the place I mean

and talking about it I just might derail a thread - well, that's ADHD for ya! (nice save) :mrgreen:

in the meantime - more people I know have gotten sick with the so called "Fall flu"... I hope that's the same thing I had in March when I lived in the southern hemisphere. Hopefully, that's not the Flu: 2014 edition coming in 6 months ahead of my natural line of defenses :?

edit: further research revealed, the actual mountains in question before are more specifically the North Shore Mountains -- back to topic now, I just don't like being wrong and leaving my wrong unlearned :wink:

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

i clicked half expecting that the zombie outbreak was beginning :lol:

FlapjackStudios

Postby FlapjackStudios » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:40 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:i clicked half expecting that the zombie outbreak was beginning :lol:

Aw damn that is a great idea...

Haha. Don't you guys just hate it when you're scratching an itch and it just gets more itchy the more you stretch it? Then a rash spreads. Antibiotics don't do anything. So annoying right? Uh, then comes the head fog and things get a bit hazy. All you can think about is that stupid sick woman who bit your arm on the street and eating a big juicy hamburger. But I just ate didn't I? And why isn't that woman in jail? Jeez should be safer to walk city streets damnit. God, so hungry...Maybe everything will be better in the morning...

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

FlapjackStudios wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:i clicked half expecting that the zombie outbreak was beginning :lol:

Aw damn that is a great idea...

Haha. Don't you guys just hate it when you're scratching an itch and it just gets more itchy the more you stretch it? Then a rash spreads. Antibiotics don't do anything. So annoying right? Uh, then comes the head fog and things get a bit hazy. All you can think about is that stupid sick woman who bit your arm on the street and eating a big juicy hamburger. But I just ate didn't I? And why isn't that woman in jail? Jeez should be safer to walk city streets damnit. God, so hungry...Maybe everything will be better in the morning...

love it XD

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

I am afflicted by a bald patch ... does that count?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Well, I consider myself a creative, and I seem to have suddenly acquired a cashew/peanut allergy. :( Not confirmed yet, but seems likely.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

FlapjackStudios

Postby FlapjackStudios » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:I am afflicted by a bald patch ... does that count?

Haha. I hope not! Baldness is hella cool anyways.

Kewangji wrote:Well, I consider myself a creative, and I seem to have suddenly acquired a cashew/peanut allergy. :( Not confirmed yet, but seems likely.

Ugh that sucks but seems to happen a lot! You always hear growing out of allergies but you can actually grow into them!

FlapjackStudios

Postby FlapjackStudios » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Other pretty common ailments that a lot of artists suffer from are back problems, arthritis and RSIs and tendonitis. I find a lot of people regardless of their age suffer from one or a combination of those things.

Makes sense with the profession especially digital artists. Just need more Vit D and excersise I suppose.

nasmida

Postby nasmida » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:05 am UTC

me ...!!!! I'm so stress with work... :(

Return to “General”