I am SICK of these friends of my parents!?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

liberalkid

I am SICK of these friends of my parents!?

Postby liberalkid » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Before saying this, I'd like to say that this might sound pretty rude, but I am very sick of what's going on.

In March of last year John, old friend of my dad's moved back to Boston with his family. Nowadays, we see them about every 2 weeks. I AM SO SICK OF SEEING THEM!!! First of all, John and his wife act LIKE FUCKING SEVENTY-YEAR-OLDS! They have an only child, Aaron, whom they adopted at birth. He's four years younger than me, and yet his parents are a few years OLDER than my parents, meaning there's a pretty damn big age gap, seeing how my mom had me at 36 and my dad's a year older than my mom (I was born in November '99), and at least they weren't fucking middle aged when I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. Anyway, because of this absurd generational gap, his parents have FUCKING ABSURD rules on shit, such as only allowing 30 minutes of video games after lunch, or one soda a day, and other bullshit that no other 10's kid has to deal with. Also due to this huge generational gap, I have ZERO interest in whatever they want to talk about. Their son isn't much better, either, seeing how he's in fourth grade, while I'm in eighth, so it's pretty much impossible to have a good conversation with him. What's even worse is how he wants to be around me 24/7, like when we go out to dinner with them he wants me to come over to his house afterwards, and other stuff like that. It's really hard for me to tell him that I don't want to do shit with him without sounding rude; when I calmly say I don't want to do something, he doesn't get that I don't want to do that, and keeps bugging me and my parents. I don't even know why a 9 year old wants to hang out with a 14 year old so much. Another thing that bugs me about him is that whenever I bring my 3DS or PS VITA, he keeps asking me if he can play no matter how many times I calmly tell him no and explain to him that it'll mess up my saved data! He then gets all fucking depressed that I won't let him use MY device, and then my parents make me give it to him. So, what do you think? I know I could act better, but I really don't know how. :(

Post something, please
Last edited by liberalkid on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sonicspin

Re: I am SICK of these friends of my parents!?

Postby sonicspin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:19 am UTC

liberalkid wrote:Before saying this, I'd like to say that this might sound pretty rude, but I am very sick of what's going on.

In March of last year John, old friend of my dad's moved back to Boston with his family.

kay
liberalkid wrote:Nowadays, we see them about every 2 weeks. I AM SO SICK OF SEEING THEM!!! First of all, John and his wife act LIKE FUCKING SEVENTY-YEAR-OLDS!

1. my common phrase, "shut up you're annoying I don't like you"
liberalkid wrote:They have an only child, Aaron, whom they adopted at birth. He's four years younger than me, and yet his parents are a few years OLDER than my parents, meaning there's a pretty damn big age gap

how does this affect everything?
liberalkid wrote:seeing how my mom had me at 36 and my dad's a year older than me (I was born in November '99), and at least they weren't fucking middle aged when I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

again, you're annoying and acting stupidly
liberalkid wrote:Anyway, because of this absurd generational gap, his parents have FUCKING ABSURD rules on shit, such as only allowing 30 minutes of video games after lunch, or one soda a day, and other bullshit that no other 10's kid has to deal with.

1. argument 2. AFAIK many other people have to deal with it, your parents are plushies IMO, you're acting stupid (again IMO) because you have less restrictions
liberalkid wrote:Also due to this huge generational gap, I have ZERO interest in whatever they want to talk about.

differing opinions lead to interesting debates, you should give them headcracking flamestarters like politics, it's fun
liberalkid wrote: Their son isn't much better, either, seeing how he's in fourth grade, while I'm in eighth, so it's pretty much impossible to have a good conversation with him. What's even worse is how he wants to be around me 24/7, like when we go out to dinner with them he wants me to come over to his house afterwards, and other stuff like that.
obviously, again, little children stick with the bigger ones
liberalkid wrote:It's really hard for me to tell him that I don't want to do shit with him without sounding rude; when I calmly say I don't want to do something, he doesn't get that I don't want to do that, and keeps bugging me and my parents. I don't even know why a 9 year old wants to hang out with a 14 year old so much. Another thing that bugs me about him is that whenever I bring my 3DS or PS VITA, he keeps asking me if he can play no matter how many times I calmly tell him no and explain to him that it'll mess up my saved data!

I had this issue with my cousin, you just have to let go of things sometimes, when you don't want to, GIVE A SOUND ARGUMENT, that way you sound like a jerkass but you don't sound rude, because you're right, also, tonalities, if you sound like you're begging or yelling you'll get shit
liberalkid wrote: He then gets all fucking depressed that I won't let him use MY device, and then my parents make me give it to him. So, what do you think? I know I could act better, but I really don't know how. :(

Post something, please

I said everything I said, anyways, because of these threads for engaging conversation, I'll assume you're the same as Conservativekid

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:17 am UTC

A. Parent Age/Rules: Doubts a strong connection between parental age and rules. Varies more between parent personalities, most likely.

B. Son: Probably looks up to you. Views you as a cool, older kid. Wishes to be around you. Plus, what alternative is there for him? Hangs out with you or listens to boring conversation. Seems obvious.

Must own something with multiple save files or without important save files. Did you download the free Legend of Zelda: Four Swords 25th Anniversary game? Qualifies as good enough. Do you own an older system/game you do not care about?

C. Conversation: Sympathizes. Feels similarly about younger cousins. Option One: Talk about a mutual interest. Suggests video games. Option Two: Distraction. Again, video games. Could try a board or card game, additionally. Invite others, if you need additional players. (Prefers Option Two or suffering through, usually.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Deva got it IMO; the kid probably looks up to you.

Also sonicspin got it right; your attitude is annoying. :P But it is probably caused by the fact that you are 14, so it's understandable. I was 14 once, so I can understand what it's like.

Anyway, try to see things from the other people's point of view. That's a pretty good tip for life in general. Another one is: don't end statements with a question mark? It looks stupid!?

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

His parents are super controlling and don't let him do normal stuff, but you're confused as to why he wants to come hang out at your place all the time? I think I've figured it out. :lol:
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

liberalkid wrote:Anyway, because of this absurd generational gap, his parents have FUCKING ABSURD rules on shit, such as only allowing 30 minutes of video games after lunch, or one soda a day, and other bullshit that no other 10's kid has to deal with.
Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety (at 27? no way) but to me these seem like sensible rules that will encourage the kid to try other activities and promote healthier eating habits. I hope there are many other 10s kids that are being raised with similar rules.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Man I'm 19 and I think they're fine fucking rules. I personally play more like a couple of hours of videogames at a time but that's because I don't have homework, I pay my own bills and I'm capable of deciding when I need to go outside and exercise and stop playing. Single soda is a good call. My initial reaction to this post was "cool story, bro" but I gave it some consideration and wait no that's still my reaction. Dudekid, your parents have friends, they're people too. The kid looks up to you, teach him some shit that's interesting to you such that you might have something in common. If that's just *too much* to handle, tell your folks you don't have much in common with him and then go read a book or something.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

liberalkid wrote:I don't even know why a 9 year old wants to hang out with a 14 year old so much.

Please understand that on this forum, you're the annoying 9 year old. Why does a 9 year old want to hang out with a 14 year old? Why do you want to participate here?

If you're actually 14* then you're old enough to understand that you're whining. So knock it off. You will be forced to spend time with people you don't particularly like, but burying your head in your devices is not a solution -- especially if the response is that your parents make you share it. Which isn't a bad choice on their part; I bet it's an attempt to teach you to be less self-absorbed by providing a negative consequence (having to share) for a behavior they wish you wouldn't resort to. So next time, just put it away.

It would also be perfectly reasonable (if you use your big boy words) to tell your parents that you aren't interested in spending one-on-one social time with a 9 year old. Regardless, you will still be expected to be civil and engaged when the parent-friends come over with him. And that might suck, but oh well. Also, unless you find a way to keep yourself "busy" (sitting around playing video games is not "busy" in the eyes of many parents) your success in freeing yourself from spending additional (non-parental-visit) time with him will be limited. So, I dunno, go hang out with your own friends?

... seeing how my mom had me at 36 and my dad's a year older than me (I was born in November '99)
So you're 14, your mom is 50 and your dad is ... 15. Words, they are important.

* Wait, 14 and in the 7th grade per your alt? Given the way you post, I'm thinking the key metric here is the 7th grade bit. If you'd like us not to think of you as an annoying middle school twerp that we'd like to see leave, you can attempt to improve your posts in two easy ways:
1) It's not all about you. Whinging to us about trivial social considerations is ... awful. We don't care.
2) Post the way you'd write for an English assignment. At least for a while.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Man I'm 19 and I think they're fine fucking rules.

+1 (replace "19" with "my twenties", though)
Azrael wrote:Please understand that on this forum, you're the annoying 9 year old. Why does a 9 year old want to hang out with a 14 year old? Why do you want to participate here?

+1

You sound really immature and whine a lot. While it's (possibly) a good way for you to vent some of your teenage angst, I'm not exactly sure what sort of response you're looking for. "Poor you, I'm sorry you're not so abrasive that everyone else hates you?" "Gee, it must really suck to have someone want to hang out with you like once or twice a month?"

How about "so you want some suggestions on dealing with people who aren't in your exact same age range?" How's it going to be when you get a job (*gasp*) and have to DAILY interact with a boss, coworkers, and customers who aren't in your exact age range?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Wednesday wrote:Man I'm 19 and I think they're fine fucking rules.

+1 (replace "19" with "my twenties", though)

-1 (the game rule), dependent on the implementation. Wanna bet they watch more than a half-hour of television, and are fine with him watching that too?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Wanna bet they watch more than a half-hour of television, and are fine with him watching that too?

I don't. Do you?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

My parents do. All my parents' friends do. My grandparents do.

(I don't watch tv as in "stuff that's via cable", but I do watch stuff like Scrubs and MASH more than half an hour a couple of days per week. And I definitely waste more than half an hour per day on reddit and the forums here.)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Kids can actually be pretty interesting if you talk to them like they are real people. After all, your parents talk to you, don't they? And that age gap is, like, fucking huge!
If you have a chore you hate, get the youngster to help with it. Not have him do it all, but work together.
Also, people learn how to behave by watching and interacting with those around them. You are not leading by example here.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:58 am UTC

So...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107320

We had what was considered a "troll" thread by "ConservativeKid" a little whiles back, subsequently locked.

This is a somewhat similar sounding kind of rant from "LiberalKid".

Anyone thinking of a connection?

(Not saying we don't take poster seriously now, since we seem to be and by all means it could be perfectly valid. But pointing it out)

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107395

"and a hit from the ban hammer"

Yes, definitely the same person, and a troll.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Yeah, it was pointed out way earlier and he's since been banned. But yeah, you're right, they were the same person.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:09 pm UTC

I am AMAZED by these parents of my friend's.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Posting in troll thread.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

Please don't
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”