Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gears
Bulletproof

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby Gears » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:21 am UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:Dad, for the last time, will you please get out of my fora?

Is that what they're calling it, nowadays?
That's icky.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

mjec

Postby mjec » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:54 am UTC

wizardy42 wrote:I can't decide whether it's better to have people ignore me completely, or be patronisingly nice.
Life would be so much better if I had nice hair and could talk to people.

Failing the whole nice-hair thing, I think it's better to be ignored than patronised. That's just me though, a personal opinion.

In other news, my last visit to xkcd fora was Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:38 am (UTC). I've missed you all.
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:55 am UTC

Playing bowling, while high on pot, with candles in your ears, which happen to be ON FIRE.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:00 am UTC

mjec wrote:In other news, my last visit to xkcd fora was Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:38 am (UTC). I've missed you all.

I'm not quite sure how accurate that sentimental statement can be, because if you've been gone that long, you'll probably have never even seen most of us before.
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:01 am UTC

boring bore wrote:
mjec wrote:In other news, my last visit to xkcd fora was Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:38 am (UTC). I've missed you all.

I'm not quite sure how accurate that sentimental statement can be, because if you've been gone that long, you'll probably have never even seen most of us before.

It was only like a year ago! Whippersnapper!
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 am UTC

You mean two years ago?
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:14 am UTC

Oh, yeah. I forgot that it was 2010...
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:20 am UTC

Old-timey geezer!

I wonder how far back mjec bothered to catch up on his/her threads.

Also: 100th non-Forum Games (which is important to note) post. Yay. Celebration. Yay again.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
Internetmeme wrote:I am behind...

Spoiler:
YOUR MOM LOLWUT

/immature
Dad, for the last time, will you please get out of my fora?
belial banned my dad for me
ImageImageImageImageImage

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 am UTC

I have my avatar back! SQUEE!

I didn't have it for ages because I'm far too lazy for my own good.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 am UTC

It's a rabbit! It's a man wearing a hat! I'm sure it's other things too!
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Raoul Duke

Postby Raoul Duke » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am UTC

brakos82 wrote:Playing bowling, while high on pot, with candles in your ears, which happen to be ON FIRE.

Bowling while on the pot? Sounds dangerous. But not as dangerous as being the only non-high person at one of those lets-be-ironic college bowling birthday parties... I really didn't think it was possible to make more testicle based jokes than we did that time we bought a whole crate of oranges, but I was sadly mistaken.

On another note, wooden crates own cardboard boxes when it comes to fort building, you just can't get the Robinson Crusoe/Swiss family Robinson effect without em (though that's mostly a hypothetical, I've never had more than one crate in the house at a time, so I wouldn't really know).

mjec

Postby mjec » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:55 am UTC

boring bore wrote:Old-timey geezer!

I wonder how far back mjec bothered to catch up on his/her threads.

(FTFY)

I hardly caught up at all. Either they were dead threads (with maybe one or two posts since mine) or they were epic threads with hundreds of new pages since last time I checked. Bleh. Starting anew. Even thinking about posting in introductions thread again.

boring bore wrote:I'm not quite sure how accurate that sentimental statement can be, because if you've been gone that long, you'll probably have never even seen most of us before.

I think more I've missed the abstract (call it the Platonic form) of the xkcd forum inhabitant. I never really got to know anyone specifically on here but I love the intelligence, rationality, pedantism, interest, knowledge, coyness and sexual tension. It's simply marvelous. It's what xkcd means.
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

boring bore wrote:

I think I was probably there! It's possible for you to miss me!
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

"Catwoman" was on TV last night. Wow. People weren't kidding when they told me it was like the worst movie ever. It was downright appalling.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Damn, these guys look bad-ass.

Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Damn, these guys look bad-ass.
Spoiler:

*spoiler mine
They see us rollin, the hatin.

FT: I want my timetable! I want to know if I get Thursdays off!
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

1,325/2,000. I am pretty much out of things to talk about. Pretty sure I need to hit at least 1,500 though, really...so need to find another couple of paragraphs from somewhere. I am just not entirely sure where yet...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:1,325/2,000. I am pretty much out of things to talk about. Pretty sure I need to hit at least 1,500 though, really...so need to find another couple of paragraphs from somewhere. I am just not entirely sure where yet...
Have you written the conclusion yet? Thats usually the first thing I turn to when I'm running out of things to write.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

Yea, it might be worth trying to get the conclusion out of the way...was hoping to try to get another paragraph in first but I'm not sure I have a lot to go on. (I'm not good at jumping around in essays -- once the conclusion's written I'm unlikely to insert anything else in before it.) But then I do have a habit of ending up with pretty long conclusions, so a few hundred more words out of it isn't a completely unrealistic expectation...

I'm doing not too badly anyway, considering I tend towards the far too concise. Second longest essay I've written this year already, without being finished. (Longest one was one I also struggled to pull over 1,500 and just managed to, but it was a bit of luck as I managed to realise I had a point left to make once I started on the conclusion. But maybe that could happen again!)

(Edit) Finished! 1,587 words, which is good enough for me! And stupid referencing done which always takes far longer than it ever actually should...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

I just cleaned my desktop (the real world, physical one with computer monitors on it). ... Wow. It's almost sanitary and professional-looking now.

FT: I should clean my desktop -a lot- more often.

FT2: For whatever reason, I've suddenly started pulling my act together. Cleaning stuff up. Sleeping a reasonable amount of time ... at night. Actually studying instead of putting crap off until the week before the exams. For the life of me, I don't know what's up with that.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:FT2: For whatever reason, I've suddenly started pulling my act together. Cleaning stuff up. Sleeping a reasonable amount of time ... at night. Actually studying instead of putting crap off until the week before the exams. For the life of me, I don't know what's up with that.

I've been doing this too, and it makes me feel much better as a person. Also, getting back to some of my old pastimes (gaming and reading) has helped. I just need to find a D&D group, and I'll be set as a functioning but nerdy guy :)

FT: My city seems to assume an average pedestrian crossing speed of around 2m/s. I'm not sure what this information is useful for, though.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:FT2: For whatever reason, I've suddenly started pulling my act together. Cleaning stuff up. Sleeping a reasonable amount of time ... at night. Actually studying instead of putting crap off until the week before the exams. For the life of me, I don't know what's up with that.

I've been doing this too, and it makes me feel much better as a person. Also, getting back to some of my old pastimes (gaming and reading) has helped. I just need to find a D&D group, and I'll be set as a functioning but nerdy guy :)

I think it may have started last week when I used the 28-hour day to change time zone back to local time. And in doing so, I got an exuberant amount of sleep (like 9-10 hours a night, at one time, even 11 hours), something I haven't gotten since I don't remember when. And this, no longer shambling through life as a sleep-deprived zombie (as I normally get like 6-7 hours of sleep a night, despite continuously rotating my sleeping cycle by 1-2 hours a night), presumably set it off.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

Raoul Duke wrote:
brakos82 wrote:Playing bowling, while high on pot, with candles in your ears, which happen to be ON FIRE.

Bowling while on the pot? Sounds dangerous.
for some odd reason i feel burning candles in your ears in any state is more dangerous than bowling while stoned
ImageImageImageImageImage

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

Hey.
You guys.

I was born 14 days after Jurassic Park was released, and I'm old enough that the government trust me to drive a car now.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:Hey.
You guys.

I was born 14 days after Jurassic Park was released, and I'm old enough that the government trust me to drive a car now.

Thank you. My day is now complete. With that, goodnight. (youngsters!)
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Ugh. I feel like I passed my expiry date. I can't draw (or think of stuff to draw), I can't study, I can't even be bothered to cook proper meals. I... just...

*slumps*
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

I just got a text message!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

I hate when my phone has a dead battery. Vibrate "Woo! Text!" nope just a dead battery.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:22 am UTC

FT: Writing jazzman831's username in Firefox doesn't cause a red underline to appear (the word username does, though). Kind of weird.

FT2: If you don't look too closely at the xkcd symbol thingy on the left side of the tab and address bar you're currently on, you could mistake the girl for a short guy with a beard. At least, I did.

FT3: The number of my posts in F/R T added to the # of my posts in General equals my total non-Forum Games posts. Useless but true.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Where the fuck did Belial go?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 am UTC

Chfan wrote:Where the fuck did Belial go?

Anywhere, Everywhere, Over the Hill, Under the Hill, Towards the Moon, and Down to the Sky. I know why!

Also, Butter is saturated fat for the soul. I am going to use my life savings to create a restaurant where every dish contains only butter and bacon, in varying amounts. All drinks will be straight cream with alcohol and served in a glass made of frozen syrup. It will be called Heaven on a Stick, with a location in close proximity to the nearest hospital. The waiters will wear swim wear made of buffalo wings, and every table will have LSD instead of salt and pepper.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 am UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:Also, Butter is saturated fat for the soul. I am going to use my life savings to create a restaurant where every dish contains only butter and bacon, in varying amounts. All drinks will be straight cream with alcohol and served in a glass made of frozen syrup. It will be called Heaven on a Stick, with a location in close proximity to the nearest hospital. The waiters will wear swim wear made of buffalo wings, and every table will have LSD instead of salt and pepper.

I would go there, even though I don't eat many fatty foods.

I promise I'll try not to throw up on your hypothetical restaurant's floors. Although with the LSD I might not be able to navigate to the bathroom, or become too terrified of the buffalo-wings-wearing waiters (who have obviously at this point morphed into dragons with zebra heads made of noise, music, and onomatopoeia who breath demonic rainbows) to make it there.

Only one way to find out! I'll totally be an investor.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 am UTC

What bathroom? The ones who need to use the facilities will have already passed out or stopped caring. We just need some mops or a politician's head.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:26 am UTC

Vohu Manah wrote:What bathroom? The ones who need to use the facilities will have already passed out or stopped caring. We just need some mops or a politician's head.

I vote for the politician's head. I think it would add to the ambiance.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:58 am UTC

Wolf wrote:I vote for the politician's head. I think it would add to the ambiance.

Perfect. We can call it the Bureaucratic Roomba.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 am UTC

We do, doodley do, doodley do, doodely do,
What we must, muddily must, muddily must, muddily must;
Muddily do, muddily do, muddily do, muddily do,
Until we bust, bodily bust, bodily bust, bodily bust.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 am UTC

My room smells like a datacenter. I'm not sure what to make of this.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:It's a rabbit! It's a man wearing a hat! I'm sure it's other things too!

As near as I can tell, it's a man made of cheese wearing a hat whilst being eaten by the ghost of a rabbit.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 am UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:Hey.
You guys.

You're having far too much fun telling people that.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Return to “General”