Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Whelan

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby Whelan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:53 am UTC

I'd say that this will end badly, but it won't. It'll end hilariously. Hell, it began hilarious.

Edit: There's one I wasn't expecting.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:31 am UTC

RT: I like reading Achewood, and I like seeing people's responses to Achewood, but I hate reading assetbar comments.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

boring bore

Postby boring bore » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:38 am UTC

Typing with one hand is much easier than typing with one pinky knuckle. But typing with TWO hands is even EASIER.
Guys you should totally register for this and join the xkcd team! Rath358 started us off and we're kinda small so the more people who join us, the better for our team and, hopefully, for humanity!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:I just created a fan page and group titled "Oprah is Awful at Narrating Life."

Cause she's awful at it.

I make this post in full knowledge that very soon it won't say the same thing.

There should be a law that requires that any show that has narration to be narrated by Morgan Freeman.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Yesterday: hot, typical summer day.
Today: winds of 120km/h, hail 6cm in diameter, intense winds and bucketloads of rain.
And my electricity is flickering. Great weather.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 am UTC

I've forgotten the first rule of fight club but the second rule means that I can't find out what it is :(
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 am UTC

Where

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 am UTC

[quote][The grated cheese! You are just in time for the Madness[quote]

I've had enough madness for one life time. My advice is stick with the bottled water.

Later

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:04 am UTC

I do not like dark corners. They make me so effing uncomfortable. Sigh.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 am UTC

This week my lecturers all decided it was time to hand out mini-assignments and have them due next week -.-
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

Just a thought: Could a minor request that his medical information be witheld from his legal guardians?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

Puppetmaster? You better toke up before trying to sell that shite. I don't think you could keep a straight face. More like lab rat.

The name that is not spoken. OK dumbelldork
Last edited by The Cat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Aaaaand
The Cat came back
The very next day
The Cat came back
We thought he was a goner but
The Cat came back
And just couldn't stay away
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

I'm running out of projects :( , and I was baited. The hook is coming out my eyeball.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Just a thought: Could a minor request that his medical information be witheld from his legal guardians?
Depends on the country, age of the minor and type of information, I believe.

In the US, for example... it's complicated. Sometimes the information is required by law to be shared with the guardian. Other times the physician is left to their own decision on whether or not to share the information with the guardian. And sometimes it's covered by standard doctor/patient confidentiality, regardless of the age.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

The text-changifiers don't replace thumb with penis do they? Because that would be cool.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

OK I was going to try to hit every changy-thingy in this post, but holy hell I can't find them all. So here's a bunch at once.

One day, rrwoods visited the forum to find all the forumites lol'ing over the mods calling themselves God and putting filters everywhere. No one's posts were making sense, (especially pirates vs ninjas debates). It was annoying some posters, but fuck if the things he was seeing on his laptop computer didn't make him laugh heartily. Nothing made any sense... it was as though people were speaking a different language entirely. No place was safe. Not LSR, not even FaiD... there was just general chaos all over the fucking place. The moderator's game -- it's for science, of course!

... Dammit, I just can't find a way to fit bunny, ninja'd, fixed, sigh, meetup, or also into that story before lunch.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

2 weeks off the booze. Whoo! Go me!

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

I realised that there isnt enough enthusiasm in the world to keep me concentrating at work but I'm stuck here for at least 2 years so that I can get out of debt and have enough money to get married.

Also boredom isnt helped by drinking lots of coffee, its just makes you more hyper-actively bored. :(
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Today's SMBC Theater was god-awful.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

So I'm not sure if I have this right, but as far as I remember, salt used to be an incredibly valuable commodity, even used as a sort of currency in some places. It was highly valued both for its preservative and flavor benefitting properties.

Using this (potentially incorrect) information and some wild leaps in logic only capable with 2 hours of sleep, I propose that Credits be replaced by kiloCals of High Fructose Corn Syrup as the generic SciFi currency.

I see nothing wrong with this idea.

micco

Postby micco » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

This song is awesome. And I want some mint vodka...
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Morgoth

Postby Morgoth » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm UTC

You know how heaven is supposedly paved with gold... well crackheads is a great candy. Each box of crackheads 2 has 600 milligrams of caffeine in them (about 6 cups of coffee!) pretty much they are chocolate covered espresso beans.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

micco wrote:This song is awesome. And I want some mint vodka...

That was pretty awesome. Folk is one of my favorite subgenres of metal... :) It's right behind symphonic and thrash.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

There's some mod-awful things going on here. I love it.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Cane

Postby Cane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

RetSpline wrote:So I'm not sure if I have this right, but as far as I remember, salt used to be an incredibly valuable commodity, even used as a sort of currency in some places.

I believe this is the etymology of the word "salary".
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Cane wrote:
RetSpline wrote:So I'm not sure if I have this right, but as far as I remember, salt used to be an incredibly valuable commodity, even used as a sort of currency in some places.

And I heard a different version. The version I heard was that people used to complain that they were paid so little, they may as well be paid in salt. Hence "salary".

Cane

Postby Cane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:And I heard a different version. The version I heard was that people used to complain that they were paid so little, they may as well be paid in salt. Hence "salary".

To the Googles!

This site matches my recollection that it was from soldiers being paid in salt, but this link implies that their salt ration was only a portion of their compensation. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=salary

Here's a more complete answer:
Salary; Salt
In the early days of Rome its soldiers were given a handful of salt each day. The salt ration was subsequently replaced by a sum of money allowing each man to buy his own, and relieving the commisariat of the trouble of transporting it. The money received was referred to as their "salt money" (salarium in Latin). Eventually, the term would make its way into medieval France, where a soldier's payment was known as his solde (which is still in use today as the term for a soldier's or sailor's pay), and it was in paid for with a special coin called a sol. By extension, the word also came to refer not only to a soldier's wage, but also to the soldier himself, evidenced by the medieval French term soldat, which itself came from the Old French soudier. For its part, the English word "soldier" comes from the Middle English souder, which also derived from soudier [Footnote: Contrary to popular belief, salt--necessary as it was and unlike other spices--was never very expensive. It only became expensive towards the end of the twelfth century A.D., when it was used as a means of taxation and people often went without it, as a result--a fact not unconnected with the famines and deficiencies that afflicted so many generations of Europeans at the time).].
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Cane wrote:

And I heard a different version. The version I heard was that people used to complain that they were paid so little, they may as well be paid in salt. Hence "salary".

Here's what Wikipedia says:

By the time of the Hebrew Book of Ezra (550 BC to 450 BC), accepting salt from a person was synonymous with drawing sustenance, taking pay, or being in that person's service. At that time salt production was strictly controlled by the monarchy or ruling elite. Depending on the translation of Ezra 4:14, the servants of King Artaxerxes I of Persia explain their loyalty variously as "because we are salted with the salt of the palace" or "because we have maintenance from the king" or "because we are responsible to the king."

Similarly, the Roman word salarium linked employment, salt and soldiers, but the exact link is unclear. The least common theory is that the word soldier itself comes from the Latin sal dare (to give salt). Alternatively, the Roman historian Pliny the Elder stated as an aside in his Natural History's discussion of sea water, that "[i]n Rome. . .the soldier's pay was originally salt and the word salary derives from it. . ." Plinius Naturalis Historia XXXI.

Others note that soldier more likely derives from the gold solidus, with which soldiers were known to have been paid, and maintain instead that the salarium was either an allowance for the purchase of salt or the price of having soldiers conquer salt supplies and guard the Salt Roads (Via Salarium) that led to Rome.

I suppose you could... heh heh... take that with... heh heh... a grain of salt!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Cane

Postby Cane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

YEEEEAAAAHHHH!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Cane wrote:Image
YEEEEAAAAHHHH!

<3

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Morgoth wrote:You know how heaven is supposedly paved with gold
I thought it was the streets of Hell that were paved in gold.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Essah

Postby Essah » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Crying girls is irresistably sweet to the degree where you almost start crying yourself :oops:

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Morgoth wrote:You know how heaven is supposedly paved with gold
I thought it was the streets of Hell that were paved in gold.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, the streets of Heaven are paved with gold.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

[quote]You know how heaven is supposedly paved with gold.../quote]

To each his/her own. They plant grass in my heaven. Creeping bean, Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, and Bubba Gump. They feel nice between the toes. Maybe a little moss, it has a nice spongy feel. There is NO buffalograss in heaven!

http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/grasses.html

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

And good intentions never buttered any parsnips.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

"Random like the plague" is an anagram of "Melted Leg: A Porn Haiku".

I'd read that haiku.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:To each his/her own. They plant grass in my heaven. Creeping bean, Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, and Bubba Gump. They feel nice bewteen the toes. Maybe a little moss, it has a nice spongy feel. There is NO buffalograss in heaven!
Long as there aren't any bugs in the grass, then that sounds good. And since it's heaven you could probably wear socks on occasion without getting grass stains on them. :mrgreen:

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Only nice lady bugs:) Think "What dreams may come" What would gold be other than a color?

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Bark. Bark.

Also, my mid-semester math test went... well? I'm not sure. I don't expect much (failed my last exam), but I felt simultaneously like I'd done well and like I'd done terribly. Now my systems for determining my satisfaction are going out of whack. Great.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Return to “General”