Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fossa

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby Fossa » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:05 am UTC

I have determined, through extensive trial and error, the most annoying (PG-13) place to cut yourself.

It is, without question, the space between the thumb and index finger. Bandaids don't really work, liquid stitches won't cut it, butterfly closures can't manage... The staple gun is looking more and more appealing every day.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 am UTC

You put bandages on your cuts? They almost always eventually scar over for me anyway.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:13 am UTC

Briareos wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:roasted onion stuffed with onion and an onion garnish with onion dip
I would eat this.
Replace onion with garlic and I would eat this.

edit: actually, I'd eat both, but I like garlic better.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:15 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I wonder if dolphins can have fetishes.

[Insert joke about fishnet stockings here]
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I ask because it's notoriously difficult to cook for one person. Oh, it can be done, sure. And there's lots of things you can do. It's just easier to cook for two or four people. You can buy a pound of ground meat, no problem. Buying a pound and dividing that up into half or quarter chunks then freezing the excess until you need it is... kinda annoying. And crap that you have to cut up.. onions, for example.. it's rare to find a dish for one person that requires a whole onion that isn't "roasted onion stuffed with onion and an onion garnish with onion dip" and it's a pain to save them.

So that may be part of the problem, if you're shopping for one.
Indeed, just me. I don't mind the divide/store too much (well, as long as I have good containers, I hate using cling-wrap), it's more of the general idea that I am now almost entirely responsible for my own nutrition, which is weird.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:21 am UTC

poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:26 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:http://xkcd.com/418/ ?

I used to make bacon and eggs on Saturdays. It was awesome. I looked forward to it all week. I don't know why I stopped.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:28 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I wonder if dolphins can have fetishes.

[Insert joke about fishnet stockings here]
... I should've seen that coming.

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:http://xkcd.com/418/ ?

http://xkcd.com/236/ ?

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Briareos wrote:You put bandages on your cuts? They almost always eventually scar over for me anyway.

This was a a little over a quarter inch (>6mm) deep which means it's through the epidermis and the dermis and into the subcutaneous tissue. When I first took the stitches out and it opened up again (sans bleeding) it looked like a fricking cross section from a text book. So yes, I'm doing everything in my power to keep it closed up as much as possible. I'm guessing there is going to be one heck of a scar...

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Just a thought. It may not be the best option but if you really want to keep it closed...
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Whelan wrote:
Rakysh wrote:GCSE results in three weeks tomorrow.

The :shock: smily has never been more appropriate.

You seriously don't know how easy you have it. A levels will fucking end you.

The worst case scenario is I get 6/7 A*'s and 3/4 A's, but the pressure I put on myself to get straight A*'s is frankly fucking stupid, which is what's making me 0_0. A levels are gonna be tough, but I'll never have 9 1.5 hour+ exams in four days again. Hopefully, anyway.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:29 am UTC

Sarr wrote:Just a thought. It may not be the best option but if you really want to keep it closed...

Been using it. That was the "liquid stitches" i referred to.

Unfortunately the area changes shape so much that it cracks, splits, forms extruding edges that snag, and eventually rips off even if I'm careful. I can only get 24-36 hours before I have to reapply it, and every time I tear the remnants out I'm a little worried I'm setting back the healing process. Plus, the site you linked confirms my own research by pointing out "Even with the medical form of superglue, some skin deterioration or irritation may occur and delay healing." So every time I have to reapply it I'm setting the healing back a little bit more...

Seriously, watch that part of your hand as you move it, pick up a glass, a pencil, open a door, scratch yourself, type... It flattens out, curls up, gets compressed, gets stretched out. The crazy glue can't hack it the way I imagine it would if the cut were ANYWHERE else including on most other joints.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:44 am UTC

Having fairly decently burnt that same section of skin in a very stupid accident, I can empathise. I ended up using a wrist spint and compression bandage to mostly immobilize the area, and a gauze dressing with some Polysporin. If you can keep your thumb in a fixed position relative to the rest of your hand, you don't lose a whole lot of function and can stop a lot of the movememt that causes problems.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:18 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Yeah pesc is the way to go if you really like fish. My sister started out pescatarian because, in her words, fish are stupid. She's a moral vegetarian and stayed pesc for a long time.

She did eventually transition to veggies only+dairy, because of dolphins getting caught in tuna fishing nets (I think). And dolphins aren't stupid. I dunno. Anyway, consider pescetarianism! It's a good way to keep your protein intake at a healthy level without supplementing.

(I hope it doesn't come off as if I am telling you how to live your life. But if you really really like fish after going without them for a while, considering a diet modification could increase your happiness!)

I'm trying to cut dairy and egg from my diet too, so going pescetarian seems like a bit of a step backward to me, but I am considering allowing myself eco-friendly fish once in a while, since the environmental footprint would be negligible and frankly no fish ever again is a bit depressing.

NotGrouchy

Postby NotGrouchy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:There are no "half" uncles. You can have a step-uncle, but not a half-uncle.

But what if he has no arms and no legs ?

He could enter a talent competition as Simon & Half-Uncle

-NG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., hugs!
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to SPREAD LOVE AMONG HIS FELLOW MAN....
Sungura wrote:I really miss him. Every day. He was pretty snuggly.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:56 am UTC

NotGrouchy wrote:He could enter a talent competition as Simon & Half-Uncle

You made coffee come out of my nose. :lol:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

TiLt
Location: North of where all of the convicts got shipped to from Old England Town

Postby TiLt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am UTC

To quote myself from about a week ago during a rather boring chemistry class "Lit up like a burning magnesium tree".
Guns and Banjos, odd band.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:02 am UTC

Man setting up a university society looks like hard work... Essentially I'd need to get at least 20 members from the university and I could have members from outside uni but they couldn't make up more than 25% of the overall number of people involved plus I'd need to get them all to pay at least £3 upfront which I'd have to set up a special bank account for then I'd have to assign someone to be secretary and someone to be treasurer (I want to be the president of the society so that's sorted). Then I'd have to find a space we could use to hold our meetings and decide on the time of those meetings plus I'd have to set the date of our first AGM. On top of that I'd need to set up a website for the society to prove that it exists or something. All before it even gets to be approved as a society in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that I have no idea how much money I'd need to raise in order to have enough for all the stuff I'd need. I don't think £60 is going to cut it though.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:13 am UTC

Drew a bath for the first time in at least 8 years to try to make my muscles and joints relax before getting on another flight (after an 11-hour one yesterday). Made it a little too hot because what I like from a shower is too hot for a bath. Don't quite see the fuss about baths, honestly, though my hotel admittedly doesn't have wacky, strangesmelling bathstuff. Will probably not use this much water for bathing again in the near future.

EDIT: Exited bath and felt entire body relax and am in practically no pain. Am now pro-bath. Now to square this with concern for the environment...
Last edited by Chai Kovsky on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 am UTC

Baths are no fun without bathtoys.

*sploshes Yellow Submarine about*

Interesting fact: my yellow submarine has the four Beatles' heads poking out, and my dog (when he had teeth) liked to chew it. First he chewed off John Lennon's head, then George Harrison's... Then Paul McCartney's. He's so far left Ringo Starr's head untouched.

OMINOUS.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 am UTC

I got a teapot for my birthday today, what a great gift.
Also: a book my mom bought with me over 2 months ago and which she kept on her desk ever since.
Most of my friends are on vacation, and even my grandparents had other plans for today.

I'm used to having boring birthdays, but I can't quite remember one like this.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:33 am UTC

oooo, bad birthdays? well i had breakfast with mom than sat around and read and interneted, then my dad picked me up for an early dinner, then i came home again and got ready to go out with my friends who never came because they never got around to leaving where they were, or bothering to get me an invite. i did however finsh my book. this is not as bad however as my 18th, where i invited atleast 30 people to have dinner with me, and aside from my mom, only one person came, and not anyone i'm terribly close to.
you want to talk bad birthdays, don't even start with me.

srry, it's been less than a week. /me is still bitter
ImageImageImageImageImage

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am UTC

;__; (for both of you)

Cait, just cling to the cake, you'll always have the cake (unless you send me a piece then you'll always have *some* of the cake. You should send me a piece of the cake).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:EDIT: Exited bath and felt entire body relax and am in practically no pain. Am now pro-bath. Now to square this with concern for the environment...
Oh, it won't square. It'll hypocube.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:
Chai Kovsky wrote:EDIT: Exited bath and felt entire body relax and am in practically no pain. Am now pro-bath. Now to square this with concern for the environment...

From now on, I shall refer to squares as hypocubes and triangles as hypotetrahedra.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Briareos wrote:

From now on, I shall refer to squares as hypocubes and triangles as hypotetrahedra.
I sometimes call triangles 2-simplexes. I miss algebraic topology.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Returning to the now slightly old conversation: the trick to cooking for one person is to learn to love leftovers and your freezer. One or two portions of leftovers are fine in the fridge for lunch or dinner the next day or two, and any more than that goes in the freezer. This means you always have the convenience of a ready meal on nights you can't be arsed/don't have time to cook, except it is much tastier and almost certainly healthier.

I'm still somewhat working on the whole variation in my cooking thing, though...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Sweat is literally pouring down my face. It is officially too damn warm and humid.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Sweat is literally pouring down my face. It is officially too damn warm and humid.

I pity the unfortunate souls who do not live underground. :mrgreen:

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

I think I've been bit by the writing bug again. I have that familiar, strangely comfortable itch.

If only I enjoyed writing things other people actually wanted to read...

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

You shouldn't write for others. Write for you!
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

((13x-23y)/24d)(Gnome)-(Khalmnpr)
(Giraffe+45)(Koalas)
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:((13x-23y)/24d)(Gnome)-(Khalmnpr)
(Giraffe+45)(Koalas)

It's the missing formula for the proof of the Riemann Hypothesis!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:Returning to the now slightly old conversation: the trick to cooking for one person is to learn to love leftovers and your freezer. One or two portions of leftovers are fine in the fridge for lunch or dinner the next day or two, and any more than that goes in the freezer. This means you always have the convenience of a ready meal on nights you can't be arsed/don't have time to cook, except it is much tastier and almost certainly healthier.

I'm still somewhat working on the whole variation in my cooking thing, though...

My roommates would eat my leftovers if I had any. It sucks =/

But canned tuna fish they leave alone... maybe they're too lazy to prepare my food, but willing to eat the ready made stuff?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:
Cassi wrote:Returning to the now slightly old conversation: the trick to cooking for one person is to learn to love leftovers and your freezer. One or two portions of leftovers are fine in the fridge for lunch or dinner the next day or two, and any more than that goes in the freezer. This means you always have the convenience of a ready meal on nights you can't be arsed/don't have time to cook, except it is much tastier and almost certainly healthier.

But canned tuna fish they leave alone... maybe they're too lazy to prepare my food, but willing to eat the ready made stuff?

An idea for you. Put the leftovers in two or more containers, and a sign on the fridge door saying "I have put laxatives in one of my food containers because I'm fed up with you guys nicking it. Are you feeling lucky?"

Whether you actually put laxatives in one of them depends on how likely you think they are to call a bluff.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
meatyochre wrote:

An idea for you. Put the leftovers in two or more containers, and a sign on the fridge door saying "I have put laxatives in one of my food containers because I'm fed up with you guys nicking it. Are you feeling lucky?"

Whether you actually put laxatives in one of them depends on how likely you think they are to call a bluff.

A fun and fruitful plan! Unfortunately I'm renting a room in their home so you know... probably not the best idea unless I want to end up homeless :P
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

I'd put laxatives in both, and probably get myself something else to eat.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:
Whelan wrote:
Rakysh wrote:GCSE results in three weeks tomorrow.

The :shock: smily has never been more appropriate.

You seriously don't know how easy you have it. A levels will fucking end you.

The worst case scenario is I get 6/7 A*'s and 3/4 A's, but the pressure I put on myself to get straight A*'s is frankly fucking stupid, which is what's making me 0_0. A levels are gonna be tough, but I'll never have 9 1.5 hour+ exams in four days again. Hopefully, anyway.

If it helps, other than helping convince your preferred 6th form to take you on in certain subjects, and occasionally some stuck up universities, a majority of A*s with the rest A is going to be absolutely fine. As for the 9 exams in 4 days thing...amen to that. You might in University but that's ages off :D

Also, oh yeah, AS results on August 19th. Where's my copy of Hitchhiker's Guide...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

Is youtube down or something? I can't seem to connect. I think it might just be my ISP...
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”