Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, I don't get one because.. I'm not in the "Gee Willikers YOU NEED ONE" demographic, and I'd rather some elderly person who actually needs it because the flu could kill them get the shot rather than I.
Wait, is there some flu (I keep spelling it flue :( ) shot shortage in America that I don't know about?

Also:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm#howserious wrote:Over a period of 30 years, between 1976 and 2006, estimates of flu-associated deaths range from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.

During 2009-2010, a new and very different flu virus (called 2009 H1N1) spread worldwide causing the first flu pandemic in more than 40 years. It is estimated that the 2009 H1N1 pandemic resulted in more than 12,000 flu-related deaths in the U.S. In contrast to seasonal flu, nearly 90 percent of the deaths occurred among people younger than 65 years of age.
I interpreted the post about 49k deaths to be per annum, and I'm guessing others might have too. Though that bit about H1N1 is interesting.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby meatyochre » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:43 am UTC

ooh happy page 1400!

ATTENTION XKCDIANS: It has been brought to my attention that "procrastination" can be reworked to say "raptors inaction." Therefore, I urge you all to engage in procrastination, lest the raptors leap into action!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:49 am UTC

Google is teh funny.

Image
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
NecklaceOfShadow
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC
Location: In the alchemical aether
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Now try recursion.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

User avatar
Okita
Staying Alive
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: Finance land.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Okita » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:01 am UTC

I finally made it through 50% of Final Fantasy XIII.

It's been a while since a game made me teary eyed.

Parts that got me include:
Spoiler:
Snow saving Hope who forgives Snow, Hope meeting his Dad, anything having to do with Sazh and Dajh. Oh man, Sazh and Dajh really tugs at the heartstrings for me.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:15 am UTC

i once, for psych had to read like 10 articles and write a paper on each. the sixth article was about happiness. I wrote a really convincing essay on how because of the article i had been convinced not to do the rest of the work. I got an A+ on that essay. failed the 4 i didn't do though. oh well.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:ATTENTION XKCDIANS: It has been brought to my attention that "procrastination" can be reworked to say "raptors inaction." Therefore, I urge you all to engage in procrastination, lest the raptors leap into action!
Unfortunately, its also an anagram for "raptors in action."
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

scienceroboticspunk
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(or in NJ, USA)

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Hi night, what are you doing up this late?

I'm fine and you?

Thats good, just need to finish up some work.
these are words
type, type, type

scienceroboticspunk
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(or in NJ, USA)

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Hi night, what are you doing up this late?

I'm fine and you?

Thats good, just need to finish up some work.
these are words
type, type, type

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:02 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:Now try recursion.

Recursion is an anagram of recursion, which itself is an anagram of recursion...
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:13 am UTC

... Wow. On a private forum I sometimes visit, the date is appended to everyone's posts in the form "month.day.year" (meaning today, posts end with "9.29.2010").

A random noob just tried to complain that he didn't want everyone seeing his IP address.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:17 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:... Wow. On a private forum I sometimes visit, the date is appended to everyone's posts in the form "month.day.year" (meaning today, posts end with "9.29.2010").

A random noob just tried to complain that he didn't want everyone seeing his IP address.


Why did they choose such a horrible and wrong date format?
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7569
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby phlip » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 am UTC

This is why I like phpBB's ability to customise your date format... you don't have to put up with the software forcing MDY on you. Mine is "D d M, Y G:i:s".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8515
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Zohar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 am UTC

And you know, it's pretty common to the US.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Aleril » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 am UTC

I usually use DD/MM/YYYY when it's obvious which one is which, like 31/09/10 as apposed to 10/09/10
Image

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:51 am UTC

It's still horrible and wrong. Wrong because the size of units should be increasing or decreasing, MDY doesn't. Horrible because it's confusing; for example the 11th of Febrary looks like the 2nd of November in that format.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Aleril » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:56 am UTC

I do it when I can but people often complain that I am not doing it as they are accustomed to.

It really doesn't make sense though.
Image

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8515
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Zohar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:59 am UTC

It makes sense because you verbally say "July 20th, 1969", which is nicer than "The 20th of July, 1969". In Hebrew, however, we say DMY and we also write DMY.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Aleril » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 am UTC

Zohar wrote:It makes sense because you verbally say "July 20th, 1969", which is nicer than "The 20th of July, 1969". In Hebrew, however, we say DMY and we also write DMY.


I guess phonetically it makes sense, I thought people believed MM/DD/YYYY seemed right just because they had been conditioned their whole lives to think that way.
Last edited by Aleril on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 am UTC

Zohar wrote:It makes sense because you verbally say "July 20th, 1969"


I don't.

As a compromise, what's wrong with using YMD? At least then it's clear what 2010/2/11 means, because nobody ever uses YDM.
Last edited by SlyReaper on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Aleril
Le Rail
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm UTC
Location: Don't make me slap you.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Aleril » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:04 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Zohar wrote:It makes sense because you verbally say "July 20th, 1969"


I don't.


What do you say instead? The 20th of July?
Image

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:05 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Zohar wrote:It makes sense because you verbally say "July 20th, 1969"


I don't.


What do you say instead? The 20th of July?


Yes. Must be a peculiar English thing because so does everyone I know.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby JayDee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:10 am UTC

Same. Although I'd happily write out "July 8th, 1969" rather than "8/7/1969". Sacrifice brevity for clarity.

But then I'm like that. Don't even abbreviate in text messages. (okay, sometimes I do. But I put in the apostrophes.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7569
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby phlip » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:12 am UTC

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before, but yes, use the "fourth of July" word-order (written simply "4 July") for every day except September 11. And even then, when just referring to it as a day, rather than to the attacks.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6568
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:16 am UTC

Bah, to hell with you all, to me it is 2010-09-29 today.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
lemma
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby lemma » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:22 am UTC

I say, 'the 29th of September', but I write '29th September'.

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby rrwoods » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

I went to the vending machine to get a bag of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies. In the spot where they normally are, I see another item. I am sad.

Then I look behind that item. Famous Amos cookies. The vending machine is mocking me!
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
Sokh
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Sokh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

What item is in front of the cookies though? Worth buying to get to the delicious obstructed cookies? Who knows, you might get lucky and have both fall out but it never happens when you really want it to.

On a side note, anyone who says the happiest day of their lives was their wedding or the birth of their child, has clearly never had two kit kats fall out the machine when they only paid for one.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

Sokh wrote:On a side note, anyone who says the happiest day of their lives was their wedding or the birth of their child, has clearly never had two kit kats fall out the machine when they only paid for one.


:shock:
That must have been amazing!

Did you hear an angelic choir in the background aswell?

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

I've had 6 or so sodas come out of a soda machine when I only paid for one. That was a good day in the break room.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Sokh
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Sokh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

I did pause in shock and look at it amazed. The guy behind me said something along the lines of "wow, that was lucky"

Also there was the time the coffee machine was set to free vend for some reason at college, I think I nearly died from a caffeine overdose.

User avatar
RetSpline
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 pm UTC
Location: Íæû

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby RetSpline » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

I once had four bags of chips come out for only 50 cents, but that was mostly because of the way the stocker at my school stuffed the bags into the machine. They'd get caught together and pull each other out, so if you knew what to look for you could usually get 2 or 3 for the price of one.

User avatar
Sokh
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Sokh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

At the vending machine in my high school, we worked out if you tipped it to the right just after you made your choice, an extra bag of snacks (some chocolate wafer thing) would nearly always come out as well as what you hit on the keypad. I'd feel guilty about if they didn't charge you about 80p for a single chocolate bar.

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

I rarely use vending machines unless I think there's a chance of getting that to happen. I don't necessarily want the stuff, but I do like getting more than I was meant to.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Xeio » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Hrmmm, I got up early (for me, 7am is early, I was at work before 8! it's like, crazy!) now I'm hungry...

Must have beef'n'chedder....

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

I tend to use DDMMMYY.

Also, isn't a flue the thing in your chimney?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

Just heard on the radio someone died from drinking a pint of Vodka in like 4 seconds :shock:

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

...of what? Ulcer reaction? Pain? They should just vomit it back up if their body is reacting violently... How odd. Sounds like a mystery for the gang!
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby natraj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Ew, just reading that makes me want to vomit.
Last edited by natraj on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
Dave_Wise
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Wales. Explaining much.
Contact:

Re: Momentary/Meandering/Meditations (Random like the plague

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

Sounds like a mystery for the gang!
Wait, that's what they do in that bus thing they had on scooby doo? Just drink vodka, allegedly 'to see what effect it had on the body'?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests