Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Cat

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Pander to the Borg)

Postby The Cat » Tue May 17, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Good luck in the race. Hope better than last time :o
____

No idea where the z gill deal is/was going.

____

I hope everyone has a nice summer vacation.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 17, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:
emceng wrote:I have never cleaned a bike chain. Is an old toothbrush good for doing so? I could probably buy super expensive brushes at the bike shop, but I figured a toothbrush would be just as good. I also need to buy chain oil.

What are you cleaning off the chain? Anything normal shouldn't require more than just a rag.

Normal gunk. The chain maybe isn't so much of an issue as some of the gears. The bike shop people helpfully sold me expensive cleaning solutions last night. If I have time tonight I'll get it cleaned.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Tue May 17, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

You should just be able to run a rag through them to get it off, but whatever floats your boat. Make sure you re-oil the chain when you're done with some specialty oil (wd-40 and other such things wear out after a few minutes and so are not really sufficient) as the cleaning will remove that, and without it the chain will make lots of noise and wear out quickly.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue May 17, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

I should get some oil for my bike chain. And some brake pads.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue May 17, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Don't forget some streamers.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 17, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

I just paid for Spotify unlimited. I don't really want it, but they fucked up the free version, and I can't afford to buy a fraction of all those albums I depend on for continued mental health.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue May 17, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Augh. I have been doing this same testing work for the past four days. I am almost done, but I keep getting held up by setup work that's not there yet. I just want to finish and then collapse face first on my desk. So. Freaking. Tired.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue May 17, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I have never cleaned a bike chain. Is an old toothbrush good for doing so? I could probably buy super expensive brushes at the bike shop, but I figured a toothbrush would be just as good. I also need to buy chain oil.

There is this stuff in my shed that I like to use (dunno what it's called, but it's in a big yellow spray can) and it cleans of all dirt and rust. I once had this completely rusted chain on a bike I got and after I used that stuff on it, it was as good as new.

Also, can you get food-poisoning from something you ate yesterday morning? My sister ate egg salad a couple of days after the expiration date yesterday morning and she came home at about 14:00 today because she had all the classical symptoms of food poisoning, but I feel like it should've happened sooner than that.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue May 17, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

Short answer, symptoms can occur immediately (as soon as 30 minutes) or within a day or two.

Less short answer:
Food poisoning is a common, usually mild, but sometimes deadly illness. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea that occur suddenly (within 48 hours) after consuming a contaminated food or drink. Depending on the contaminant, fever and chills, bloody stools, dehydration, and nervous system damage may follow. These symptoms may affect one person or a group of people who ate the same thing (called an outbreak). source

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 17, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:Fiddling with yourself.

Give this man an Internet. On my tab.

Second. *claps*

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue May 17, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

I am a bad person, I have an exam tomorrow - our hardest one - and I can barely motivate myself to do anything. It doesn't help my hand is sore from the last two days of exams, and I'm exhausted :(
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue May 17, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Don't feel bad. There are much worse people. I couldn't even get myself to study for most of my high school exams, and those things were the most important thing I ever did so far. ( well, maybe except failing college the next year )

Point being, your lack of motivation isn't because you're a bad person but because exams are hard, annoying and often uhm involuntary. Besides, it's quite human to not want to study because you're exhausted from two days of exams.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Tue May 17, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

Yeah, try to motivate yourself to do some study if you can, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. Regardless, make sure you get to bed early and get a decent night's sleep so your brain will be working properly.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I am a bad person, I have an exam tomorrow - our hardest one - and I can barely motivate myself to do anything. It doesn't help my hand is sore from the last two days of exams, and I'm exhausted :(

Ooh, me too. Yet here I am looking for the most shocking rock music I can find on the internet and playing go.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Angua wrote:I am a bad person, I have an exam tomorrow - our hardest one - and I can barely motivate myself to do anything. It doesn't help my hand is sore from the last two days of exams, and I'm exhausted :(

Ooh, me too. Yet here I am looking for the most shocking rock music I can find on the internet and playing go.

Blast some Psychosocial Baby as loud as you can. It's got the shock part down - shockingly awesome, that is.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 17, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

Yes sir

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Screech: I really can't stand the traditional reddit format. Periodically I'm linked there for some interesting discussion or other, but the draw of the content has to be REALLY, REALLY HIGH to get me past the "UGH, I'm reading this POS formatted crap again?"

The thing I don't get, though, is I don't just blanket hate all threaded discussions. I think maybe my annoyance springs from how their ranking system makes following a conversation temporally nearly impossible. Meh.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

I will only read a reddit page once, because of that temporal thing. Also I will read anything this user writes: http://www.reddit.com/user/complete_disclosure
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue May 17, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Short answer, symptoms can occur immediately (as soon as 30 minutes) or within a day or two.

Less short answer:
Food poisoning is a common, usually mild, but sometimes deadly illness. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea that occur suddenly (within 48 hours) after consuming a contaminated food or drink. Depending on the contaminant, fever and chills, bloody stools, dehydration, and nervous system damage may follow. These symptoms may affect one person or a group of people who ate the same thing (called an outbreak). source

Ok, got it. Guess I've had food poisoning more often then I thought then :P The only time I was actually sure was really bad. Also really intense, because I felt (and, eh, reacted :wink: ) absolutely terrible for all of 12 hours. After that I was pretty much better.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Seeing the Witcher 2 thread over in games reminds me of that one cracked.com article about the Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan forum.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 am UTC

So there's apparently a fossil museum somewhere here in Washington (state) called the Berk Museum. Ha.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Wed May 18, 2011 3:41 am UTC

Burke Museum. Burke.
(It's on the University of Washington's campus: it's pretty small, though)

(At least, I'm assuming this is the museum you're talking about)

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Wed May 18, 2011 3:58 am UTC

Probably. I heard about it verbally though, so I didn't know the spelling. It's much less interesting now, though.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 am UTC

I've had enough, this is my prayer, that I'll die living just as free as my hair. :D

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 am UTC

's always a good feeling when you successfully request something on the radio.
uhhhh fuck.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Midnight wrote:'s always a good feeling when you successfully request something on the radio.

One thing that pisses me off about local radio stations (and I assume it isn't just the local ones): you request a certain song off one of an artists albums, and the jockey plays the hit off that album over the song you requested. Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

On a related note to the above but unrelated to the conversation: I want to learn how to sing. Or as Cee Lo Green put it, I want to learn how to saaaahng, as in learn how to use my voice to hit actual notes. As opposed to just faking it. I don't even know where to begin.
Last edited by Ortus on Wed May 18, 2011 7:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 am UTC

Today: Maths exam!
Ptolom wrote:penis

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed May 18, 2011 7:27 am UTC

Ortus wrote:
Midnight wrote:'s always a good feeling when you successfully request something on the radio.

One thing that pisses me off about local radio stations (and I assume it isn't just the local ones): you request a certain song off one of an artists albums, and the jockey plays the hit off that album over the song you requested. Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

On a related note to the above but unrelated to the conversation: I want to learn how to sing. Or as Cee Lo Green put it, I want to learn how to saaaahng, as in learn how to use my voice to hit actual notes. As opposed to just faking it. I don't even know where to begin.

dunno if you should learn from Cee Lo.
Unless you want to sing out of your nose forever.
uhhhh fuck.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
Ortus wrote:

dunno if you should learn from Cee Lo.
Unless you want to sing out of your nose forever.

Hah, nah, it was just a reference. Perhaps a bad one?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Ivora wrote:I'll die living just as free as my hair.

Your hair is anchored! It cannot be untethered without decapitation or brute-force haulage. It's the least-free substance since that tree grew out from the middle of a concrete block down the end of my road.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed May 18, 2011 9:57 am UTC

Spoiler:
Ptolom wrote:penis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 am UTC

It has now been 6 days. My home Internet connection could be restored any time between now and Sunday afternoon. Please let it be today. Please please please. I don't know how much longer I can last.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Yesterday, I stood in the pouring rain because I was talking to a salamander. I named him Adrian. :shock:

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Wed May 18, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Ortus wrote:I want to learn how to sing. Or as Cee Lo Green put it, I want to learn how to saaaahng, as in learn how to use my voice to hit actual notes. As opposed to just faking it. I don't even know where to begin.

Protip: Hitting notes is entirely unlike singing them. Hitting things is for hammers.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed May 18, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

It's the least-free substance since that tree grew out from the middle of a concrete block down the end of my road.

Those roots can crack the concrete block. Just give it a little time.

Kick your feet up and take it easy, Felstaff.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Ivora wrote:I'll die living just as free as my hair.

Your hair is anchored! It cannot be untethered without decapitation or brute-force haulage. It's the least-free substance since that tree grew out from the middle of a concrete block down the end of my road.
Hair are your aerials, man. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into your brain. This is the reason why bald-headed men are uptight.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:Kick your feet up and take it easy, Felstaff.

I'm trying, but work is really trying today.

:(

...I've also ad-blocked emoticons, out of ennui for productivity.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:This is the reason why bald-headed men are uptight.

http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 am UTC

Return to “General”