Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Oh, God. Hollywood Russian makes me cringe. And it's not just the accent. It's when they actually try to speak Russian, too.

In other news, pumpkin spice and salted caramel have arrived at Starbucks! I really need to learn how to make this stuff myself; it's getting expensive.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Oh, God. Hollywood Russian makes me cringe. And it's not just the accent. It's when they actually try to speak Russian, too.

I like it when they slip up and mix Russian and American r-sounds.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:Oh, God. Hollywood Russian makes me cringe. And it's not just the accent. It's when they actually try to speak Russian, too.

Can you give an example? I know Russian, but apparently not enough to immediately understand what you said.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Ah, I love it when a product fails inside the warranty and you get a replacement which is so much better.... It's like trading in something old for new for free. Although, the new SSD replacement is more than twice the speed, it's half the price that I bought the original. Still, the solid state drive sector is quite rapidly advancing.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:When you tell kids today they were a megabyte and took ages to completely write to they don't believe you.

A little off-topic, but I like the idea of using grains of sand as a metaphor for bits. A kilobyte becomes 8192 grains of sand, and if you take Wiki's definition of medium sand being ~62 nanoliters that's about a tenth of a teaspoon. A megabyte is about half a liter of sand, and a gigabyte is about half a cubic meter. A terabyte is bigger than the average house.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:45 am UTC

If a gig is half a cubic meter, then a terabyte is 500 cubic meters, or 5m*10m*10m. That's about house-sized.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Slyreaper, you sure the car is actually revving that much? Or just showing that much revs?

Well know. Like I said, I think the rev counter is dodgy because the engine doesn't sound like it's over-revving at all. But that's just a subjective judgement from a guy whose idea of how cars work is "suck squeeze bang blow" -> makes the wheels turn.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Slyreaper, you sure the car is actually revving that much? Or just showing that much revs?

Well know. Like I said, I think the rev counter is dodgy because the engine doesn't sound like it's over-revving at all. But that's just a subjective judgement from a guy whose idea of how cars work is "suck squeeze bang blow" -> makes the wheels turn.

You could always get a friend, put the car in neutral and let it idle for a while, then press the accelerator a bit, keeping it steady while you watch the rev counter and the other listens to get engine revving and see if there's any discrepancy.

You, sir, name? wrote:

That's usually how I feel about Hollywood Dutch and German. Dutch is my native language and I grew up with German, and the Hollywood versions are so aweful it makes me cringe

silent man

Postby silent man » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

Keeping in mind that my knowledge about reciprocating engines comes almost exclusively from university lectures rather than experience:

- as long as the engine doesn't exceed its rpm range (usually marked red on the instrument, should be ~5 to 6k for an Otto-engine), there should be no danger of it getting damaged or exploding
- a lack of oil or coolant is almost certainly not the cause of the problem
- assuming that the clutch is fine: Do you have to depress the accelerator more or less than before to reach a given speed? (Alternatively, does the car drive faster or slower when you let it idle?) If the engine actually is running faster, it should put out more power (unless your car has another problem that causes it to lose exactly the amount of power that the increased rpm adds). If a set combination of gear/accelerator setting/ground speed shows different engine speeds, it's almost certainly the indicator that's broken.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

3000 RPM in neutral is waaaay wrong. How old is the car? If it's recent, I would be surprised at that because idle speed is managed via the PCM. If it's a particularly old one then I would say there might be something wrong with the throttle valve that it isn't actuating properly and staying open more than it should. Purely guesswork based on the information provided, though.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

Can you give an example? I know Russian, but apparently not enough to immediately understand what you said.

Russian (and some rhotic dialects of British English) has rolling r-sounds (I think the technical term is trill). American English and RP usually doesn't (I think the technical term for the American and RP r-sound is aveolar approximant).

Fake Russian puts a lot of emphasis on the r-sounds, but when speaking quickly it's easy to slip and drop a few American r-sounds, especially in the middle of words.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:3000 RPM in neutral is waaaay wrong. How old is the car? If it's recent, I would be surprised at that because idle speed is managed via the PCM. If it's a particularly old one then I would say there might be something wrong with the throttle valve that it isn't actuating properly and staying open more than it should. Purely guesswork based on the information provided, though.

It's 18 years old, and it normally idles at 1k. The thing that confuses me is that if the engine really is overrevving, then the car should be moving more quickly for a.given gear, right?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

Russian (and some rhotic dialects of British English) has rolling r-sounds (I think the technical term is trill). American English and RP usually doesn't (I think the technical term for the American and RP r-sound is aveolar approximant).

Fake Russian puts a lot of emphasis on the r-sounds, but when speaking quickly it's easy to slip and drop a few American r-sounds, especially in the middle of words.

Ah, thanks. That's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Hawknc wrote:3000 RPM in neutral is waaaay wrong. How old is the car? If it's recent, I would be surprised at that because idle speed is managed via the PCM. If it's a particularly old one then I would say there might be something wrong with the throttle valve that it isn't actuating properly and staying open more than it should. Purely guesswork based on the information provided, though.

It's 18 years old, and it normally idles at 1k. The thing that confuses me is that if the engine really is overrevving, then the car should be moving more quickly for a.given gear, right?

In theory, yeah. Definitely take it to a mechanic because at that age there could be any number of things that could be causing it. Hopefully it's as simple as a faulty instrument.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

I sense an upcoming Syfy (I hate typing that) original:

Big fossil croc may have competed with giant snake
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:

In theory, yeah. Definitely take it to a mechanic because at that age there could be any number of things that could be causing it. Hopefully it's as simple as a faulty instrument.

I was hoping to avoid that because my experience with mechanics usually entails spending a great deal of money to diagnose "issues" that turn out to be nothing.

I've just ruled out clutch slippage by putting it into 5th while going along at 30, and flooring the accelerator. If the clutch was slipping, the revs would have shot up. They didn't. That reassures me somewhat; new clutches are expensive.

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

If you can't hear the increase from 1000 to 3000 RPM and the speed of the car is the same for a given gear as it was before, I would concur with your assumption of faulty instrumentation. If the engine actually does run at the wrong speed, there obviously are lots of things. One i'd like to throw in because it's a past experience is the lambda probe, which measures the oxygen content of the exhaust. If it gives faulty readings it will readjust the fuel mixture resulting in changes in RPM, though probably both up and down. It would be fairly inexpensive to get fixed, though.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

So I'm a pretty sturdy guy (due to a nice mixture of being very tall, pretty muscular, and also somewhat fat). So somewhere between Worf and Urdnot Wrex on the burliness scale. Most nights, I go for pretty brisk walks. Due to the nature of sidewalks, there's frequently someone walking a bit ahead of me. When they notice me, they get all paranoid, speeding up and looking over their shoulder like I'm about to rape and/or murder them.

How do I avoid this?

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:So I'm a pretty sturdy guy (due to a nice mixture of being very tall, pretty muscular, and also somewhat fat). So somewhere between Worf and Urdnot Wrex on the burliness scale. Most nights, I go for pretty brisk walks. Due to the nature of sidewalks, there's frequently someone walking a bit ahead of me. When they notice me, they get all paranoid, speeding up and looking over their shoulder like I'm about to rape and/or murder them.

How do I avoid this?

Wear a hat and a long black coat.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:So I'm a pretty sturdy guy (due to a nice mixture of being very tall, pretty muscular, and also somewhat fat). So somewhere between Worf and Urdnot Wrex on the burliness scale. Most nights, I go for pretty brisk walks. Due to the nature of sidewalks, there's frequently someone walking a bit ahead of me. When they notice me, they get all paranoid, speeding up and looking over their shoulder like I'm about to rape and/or murder them.

How do I avoid this?

Cross the road.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:46 am UTC

How do I avoid this?

Yell "I PROMISE I'M NOT GOING TO RAPE AND/OR MURDER YOU". Then they'll be reassured and much more calm!
double epsilon = -.0000001;

woddfellow2

Postby woddfellow2 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:51 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Rofl modern operating systems.

Creating a folder in Windows 95:
Right click -> Create -> Folder -> Enter a name -> Double click the folder

Creating a folder in Windows 7:
Right click -> Create -> Folder -> Nothing happens -> Press F5 -> A folder appears -> Enter a name -> The folder ignores the name you gave it and goes by New Folder anyway -> Double click the folder -> No such folder -> Press F5 -> A folder with the name you entered appears -> Double click the folder.

All I have to do is run:

Code: Select all

mkdir <Enter a name>

I very rarely use a file manager now. I have, but rarely use, Midnight Commander.

Even back when I used GNOME and Xfce, I rarely used Nautilus or Thunar, respectively. I used the standard coreutils file-management commands (ls, mv, cp, and the others) in a terminal emulator.
1-Crawl 2-Cnfg 3-ATF 4-Exit ?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:58 am UTC

How do I avoid this?

Wear light/happy colors and smile. Suites, button downs, or other more formal clothing would also probably help.

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:03 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:

How do I avoid this?

Wear light/happy colors and smile.

double epsilon = -.0000001;

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Just watched Red State. What, the fuck.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:24 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:How do I avoid this?
Ask if they want some candy and tell them you have a basket-full in your van.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 am UTC

How do I avoid this?

I've got the same problem for a bit. You know what somewhat worked for me? Growing a full beard. Somehow, people are more trusting. Still, some people still assume I'll rape and murder then (not in that specific order).

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:59 am UTC

What worked for me is to keep headsets on, carry a book, and smile if they look at me. Need to practice that smile to be less creepy and more friendly, though. =/
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:13 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Just watched Red State. What, the fuck.

So wait, why did his head catch on fire?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:24 am UTC

Redline is a strange, strange movie. Fucking hilarious though.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:35 am UTC

I thought you were talking about Red Dawn, and I was very confused.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:29 am UTC

How do I avoid this?

Get a silly hat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Or wear a ball gag or something. You know, something that says, "I'm your friend."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:12 am UTC

Do what I do: Cross the road.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Either slow down, so that the gap between the two of you gets bigger, or speed up and overtake them.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:55 am UTC

The first is better, I think.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Just gonna stand there and watch me roar, but it's ok because I am a dinosaur
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 am UTC

• Whistle a jolly tune, pretend you have not a care in the world
  • Fake a call on your mobile telephone, pretending you're talking to your sweetheart in saccharine baby-talk
  • Fake a call on your mobile phone, saying things like "I don't care if it takes me into the red, I want to donate every penny I can to that kitten orphanage!"
  • Skip
  • Moonwalk your way around town (elicit appropriate level of shamone! at regular intervals)
  • Tap-dance
  • 'Tight-rope' walk along the pavement. Give a victory punch if you happen to walk successfully along the kerb for over 16 metres
  • Blow bubbles
  • Pretend you are driving a race-car; make appropriate revving/gear-change/brake sounds*

*Vrrrrrrrr! VrrrrRRRR! VRRRRRRRRRRmmmmmmm ERRRRRRKKKKCHHHHHHHHH! Rrrrrrroom-brrrrrooooom! Nyarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr urrrchhhhhhhh! hvrum-hvrum-hvrum-hvrum-hvrum-hvrum-hvrum. Nyowwwww!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

For added fun make sure to intersperse some pewpewpews in there.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:[*]'Tight-rope' walk along the pavement. Give a victory punch if you happen to walk successfully along the kerb for over 16 metres

Best.

Return to “General”