Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby roband » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Would you rather it was a picture of a hard drive? So.. a rectangle, with no real distinguishing marks :P

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

The save icon in OpenOffice is a harddrive. At least I think that's what it's supposed to be.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

roband

Postby roband » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The save icon in OpenOffice is a harddrive. At least I think that's what it's supposed to be.

Srs? That's interesting.

edit: a quick google led to this image - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Save_ ... Office.png

and I can't find anything like you said.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The save icon in OpenOffice is a harddrive. At least I think that's what it's supposed to be.

OpenOffice? What's OpenOffice? Don't you mean LibreOffice?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Screenshot-8.png
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Screenshot-8.png

Fork that!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

OpenOffice?
You're such a hipster.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Kang

Postby Kang » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

So you are too young to remember 3.5" diskettes?

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

I think that the HDD symbol is not specifically an OpenOffice icon, but an icon of GNOME Desktop. I occasionally personally wonder what would be a good icon for such an abstract action as "saving a file", because referring to internal parts of computers just don't really make sense as it assumes too much knowledge. That said, it's also odd that Windows and Mac OS both display drives (which are really partitions) as HDDs. Of course many other actions have not that well-defined icons.

-----------------

Now I started to wonder if manual saving could be ditched altogether. What you see is what is stored. There could be an additional checkpoint functionality to make it possible to stick to a version. Maybe "open file" should actually be just "look at the files" - essentially giving more weight to the file browser/manager as a method to open files instead of having that inflexible small dialog box that's missing all kinds of functionality such as looking at file info (as in file metadata).

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:I think that the HDD symbol is not specifically an OpenOffice icon, but an icon of GNOME Desktop. I occasionally personally wonder what would be a good icon for such an abstract action as "saving a file", because referring to internal parts of computers just don't really make sense as it assumes too much knowledge. That said, it's also odd that Windows and Mac OS both display drives (which are really partitions) as HDDs. Of course many other actions have not that well-defined icons.

-----------------

Now I started to wonder if manual saving could be ditched altogether. What you see is what is stored. There could be an additional checkpoint functionality to make it possible to stick to a version. Maybe "open file" should actually be just "look at the files" - essentially giving more weight to the file browser/manager as a method to open files instead of having that inflexible small dialog box that's missing all kinds of functionality such as looking at file info (as in file metadata).

I think it's still considered a good idea to minimise disk IO as much as possible. Hard drives are still pretty slow, and if different applications are constantly reading files there's going to be latency when you really need to access a file as you wait for you "turn" at accessing the disk.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

True, but the disk writing doesn't have to continuous to have a system that is effectively* what I mentioned. Maybe it would be something like auto-save every x minutes and also when the document is closed, and even the former is mostly to account for the inevitable crashes.

This could also be helped with some sort of abstraction that would automatically map the file-on-disk and file-in-memory in some way so that the manual management that happens nowadays would be transparent. And when the program crashes, again, and again, the abstraction would be really cool if it actually handled program crashes well, for example by making those "checkpoints" automatically. Not that crashes should be too easily forgiven, but user's data is more important.

* Effectively, as in from user's perspective. A pet peeve of mine is that too often what's good and easy for computer is by default more preferable than what is good for user. Not to blame you, Ptolom, for doing this, of course.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:46 am UTC

Ubik wrote:True, but the disk writing doesn't have to continuous to have a system that is effectively* what I mentioned. Maybe it would be something like auto-save every x minutes and also when the document is closed, and even the former is mostly to account for the inevitable crashes.

This could also be helped with some sort of abstraction that would automatically map the file-on-disk and file-in-memory in some way so that the manual management that happens nowadays would be transparent. And when the program crashes, again, and again, the abstraction would be really cool if it actually handled program crashes well, for example by making those "checkpoints" automatically. Not that crashes should be too easily forgiven, but user's data is more important.

* Effectively, as in from user's perspective. A pet peeve of mine is that too often what's good and easy for computer is by default more preferable than what is good for user. Not to blame you, Ptolom, for doing this, of course.

Listen. I hate you. Now I'm going to be thinking about this, and going on wild tangents in my mind because of this, until I finally get to bed. And I do not know nearly enough about operating systems (yet) to figure out if it would actually be viable to make something like this.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 am UTC

I like this blog. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:True, but the disk writing doesn't have to continuous to have a system that is effectively* what I mentioned. Maybe it would be something like auto-save every x minutes and also when the document is closed, and even the former is mostly to account for the inevitable crashes.

The new Microsoft Office does something like this. It saves every minute or so and if you don't save it, it will be on the side for you to have access to again. However, I don't know if it will do this in an endless loop, like if you open and close the same file more than once without saving it it will keep it available for you.

I personally have no problem with saving manually. It helps to keep me organized.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Oh so it is. Interesting.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

I suppose you could have the operating system keep track of file access and maintain its own cache of files being edited. Then it could pass the cache instead of what's on the disk if access to an open file is requested, and push it to disk when it's convenient. What happens if two programmes want to edit the same file though? It would be good for sharing files between user applications, but for some things it could be disastrous. What happens if the system tries to run a python script while it's being edited?

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

I have been reading the Malazan book of the fallen series lately, and it seems like it would make a great sandbox video game like Oblivion or Skyrim. Even just a mod to one of those, with the different races, magics, and such.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:I suppose you could have the operating system keep track of file access and maintain its own cache of files being edited. Then it could pass the cache instead of what's on the disk if access to an open file is requested, and push it to disk when it's convenient. What happens if two programmes want to edit the same file though? It would be good for sharing files between user applications, but for some things it could be disastrous. What happens if the system tries to run a python script while it's being edited?
Good points, there's definitely lots of things to find out. Two programs editing the same file - that could be a case for nope, not going to happen, but maybe the file system could tell the program about the change? Files could be used for interprocess communication that way. Or maybe the other programs will just not be given write access to it to prevent all the complications? Some options just would feel like giving in on a thing when the point is to not be forgiving to programmers and making things really "just work" from user's perspective. Maybe transactional databases should be used as an example... One thing I thought of myself is large files. There probably would have to be some neat/nasty streaming going on to make huge files work.

This is definitely just a thought instead of a plan so far, though this does feel like interesting thing to think about.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 am UTC

UURRRGGGHH. What could possibly cause my computer to suddenly lose its internet connection AND its window transparency? Weird graphical glitches/losing connection happens when my comp gets too hot, but it wasn't doing anything to overheat! I'll be glad when this thing is old enough to justify replacing it.

Never, ever buy a laptop if you're planning to use it for video games, kids.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:32 am UTC

Squee.

On October 12, 2011, the official title of the fifth Die Hard is called A Good Day to Die Hard.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

The battle progressed into outer space, and though Ivan consistently had the upper hand, he was destroyed when the Ninja Falcon-Megazord kneed him in the groin, which sent him flying into the path of Orion's Comet, which happened to be passing.

We need more plots like that.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

I've always wanted to align old landscape photos with what the place looks like today. So I set about finding a random photo, ending up with one from 1944, and doing a bit o' detective work to find its exact locale. Observe! (Click on the photo for Google Maps Streetview link)

I'm going to do this more often. If only I had app-making skills, I could create a whole database integrated with Google Maps.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:OpenOffice?
You're such a hipster.

Is Open Office really that hipster? What should I be using instead without shelling out 150$ for Microsoft Office?

Serious question, I don't really like Open Office but it's the best I got.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

LibreOffice. It was forked from OpenOffice, but is now considered the main project.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

So today is my 94th birthday - according to another website I visit that required giving your birthdate when signing up.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

need to see if this is a universal phenomenon or if it's just me.

i sleep on my stomach (i wish i could sleep on my back, i'm convinced it would be more comfortable, but i can't), when i've got a cold or other sickness that results in a runny nose or stopped up nose or other nasal related malady, i find that when i lay down or sleep that the nostril farthest away from the pillow (i.e. the one closest to the ceiling) is the one that gets stopped up while the lower nostril near the pillow clears. this does not seem to jive with physics and gravity unless my mucus is lighter than air. does this happen to anyone else? anyone know why?
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Felstaff: my search-fu is failing me, but that kind of reminds me of some website or tumblr I've seen lately.

People find old photos of things or family. Then go to where those photos were taken and line up the shot with the scene in the background and the original photo in the foreground so that the photo kind of lines up with the environment.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:need to see if this is a universal phenomenon or if it's just me.

i sleep on my stomach (i wish i could sleep on my back, i'm convinced it would be more comfortable, but i can't), when i've got a cold or other sickness that results in a runny nose or stopped up nose or other nasal related malady, i find that when i lay down or sleep that the nostril farthest away from the pillow (i.e. the one closest to the ceiling) is the one that gets stopped up while the lower nostril near the pillow clears. this does not seem to jive with physics and gravity unless my mucus is lighter than air. does this happen to anyone else? anyone know why?

It's the opposite for me. Usually the nostril closest to the pillow fills up first.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
DSenette wrote:need to see if this is a universal phenomenon or if it's just me.

It's the opposite for me. Usually the nostril closest to the pillow fills up first.

I'm like Pod. I also have this problem all the time - even when I don't have a cold, I have to toss and turn because I can only breathe properly (or at least, that's how it feels) when the one closest to the pillow is the one that's breathing.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

It just seems to be a random nostril for me. I generally lie on my side anyway, so choose my side so the unblocked nostril is uppermost, minimising the risk of accidentally squashing it closed with face pressure.

I don't have a cold at the minute though, despite spending ten hours out on a picket line and protest yesterday.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

It has been like thirty of your earth replies since I last posted in this thread. I need to do less productive things so i can be more active.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Panonadin

Postby Panonadin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Squee.

On October 12, 2011, the official title of the fifth Die Hard is called A Good Day to Die Hard.

For some reason that title hints to me that the series might finally die.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the series, but he is like 50. The last one however, I don't care what anyone says was comic GOLD.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:Now I started to wonder if manual saving could be ditched altogether. What you see is what is stored. There could be an additional checkpoint functionality to make it possible to stick to a version. Maybe "open file" should actually be just "look at the files" - essentially giving more weight to the file browser/manager as a method to open files instead of having that inflexible small dialog box that's missing all kinds of functionality such as looking at file info (as in file metadata).
Not intending to ignore the discussion after this post, but: this is exactly where Apple is heading with iOS and Mac OS X 10.7.

Ubik wrote:
Ptolom wrote:I suppose you could have the operating system keep track of file access and maintain its own cache of files being edited. Then it could pass the cache instead of what's on the disk if access to an open file is requested, and push it to disk when it's convenient. What happens if two programmes want to edit the same file though? It would be good for sharing files between user applications, but for some things it could be disastrous. What happens if the system tries to run a python script while it's being edited?
Good points, there's definitely lots of things to find out. Two programs editing the same file - that could be a case for nope, not going to happen, but maybe the file system could tell the program about the change? Files could be used for interprocess communication that way.
This is the case in Plan 9 from Bell Labs.

The Scyphozoa wrote:UURRRGGGHH. What could possibly cause my computer to suddenly lose its internet connection AND its window transparency? Weird graphical glitches/losing connection happens when my comp gets too hot, but it wasn't doing anything to overheat! I'll be glad when this thing is old enough to justify replacing it.

Never, ever buy a laptop if you're planning to use it for video games, kids.
Just a guess: HP Pavilion?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I've always wanted to align old landscape photos with what the place looks like today. So I set about finding a random photo, ending up with one from 1944, and doing a bit o' detective work to find its exact locale. Observe! (Click on the photo for Google Maps Streetview link)

I'm going to do this more often. If only I had app-making skills, I could create a whole database integrated with Google Maps.

I'd like to bring to your attention: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/the-ghosts-of-world-war-iis

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:51 am UTC

Panonadin wrote:For some reason that title hints to me that the series might finally die.

Counterexample:

The Final Destination (fourth movie in the Final Destination series) - released 28 August 2009
Final Destination 5 - released 4 August 2011

ಠ_ಠ
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:42 am UTC

Kang wrote:
Felstaff wrote:I've always wanted to align old landscape photos with what the place looks like today. So I set about finding a random photo, ending up with one from 1944, and doing a bit o' detective work to find its exact locale. Observe! (Click on the photo for Google Maps Streetview link)

I'd like to bring to your attention: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/the-ghosts-of-world-war-iis

That's wonderful. Cheers!

I might have a go at that myself, actually. My only criticism is that the blending seems a bit amateurish (soft-edged brush in Photoshop used indiscriminately); the juxtaposition calls for more hard-edged starkness between the 1940s photos and the current ones.

Still, I'm impressed by the photographer managing to align the pictures perfectly. Shit be hard, yo.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Panonadin wrote:The last one however, I don't care what anyone says was comic GOLD.

Fighter-jet surfin'!

Can't even do that shit on Saints Row 3!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

You haven't played Just Cause 2, have you? Surfing Fighterjets is, like.. 95% of that game*.

*Lies. It's only 30%. It's 150% surfing cars, usually while the people inside are trying to kill you with guns.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

150%? Does that mean it keeps on happening outside the game? That would be an awesome way to get to work, even better than the Barclaycard rollercoaster / waterslide.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:150%? Does that mean it keeps on happening outside the game? That would be an awesome way to get to work, even better than the Barclaycard rollercoaster / waterslide.

The daily commute of a gamer (Features car surfing. With guns.)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Return to “General”