Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

emceng

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby emceng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Van wrote:
The Cat wrote:Image

Oh Holy Lycanthrope, Canadia's First Lady! Lady had the buzz, all she wanted was some toast, y'know? Jacob's sole purpose: keep an eye on the toaster. Kept getting distracted! I shouted at the TV every time he walked away from it. Holly, though, she ate the burned toast, announcing it as "barbecue-y". Despite the whole breakfast being ruined, she found positives. That's the best lesson a kid can learn.
:P

:)
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Curiously, is that Lidsville?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFMuNkse ... re=related

Lidsville, great holiday "topper".

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Sweetness, but that was all mere stream of consciousness. Did anyone watch Under the Umbrella Tree? It ran from 1987-1993, and was geared towards the (younger) Sesame Street crowd. So if you were born between 1981-1987 it would have been right up your alley. Used to confuse it with Lamb Chop's Play Along*, another childhood gem. The episode I keenly remember is one morning, the puppets rose early to make breakfast for the beautiful Holly, but it's (literally) a recipe for disaster, as every task they set each other (frying eggs, toasting bread, slaughtering a baby lamb for its flesh...) they turn out to be incapable of fulfilling. i.e., the toaster did not 'pop up' as toasters are wont to do, so Jacob (the bluejay puppet) had to keep an eye on it. However! His attention kept getting diverted by the other puppets, and he kept walking away from the fucking toaster. I screamed at the television, cheeks burning, tears streaming down my face, "no, Jacob! You'll burn the toast!" and lo, round after round of square white bread blackened. Eventually, they went upstairs, where the radiant Holly was sleeping, and brought her the spoiled breakfast. Like the Venusian champion she is, she accepted the breakfast mess with a warm heart and a winning smile, and tells the puppets she loves them all. Catharsis achieved, I told the characters on my fuzzy television screen I love you, too.

But...But Iggy, you can't collect sandwiches.

*where sad is bad, and happy is cool!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Speaking of TV shows you watched when you were young. In Sweden, there was this show called Ika. It consisted of a woman wearing high contrast make-up, speaking strangely, making no goddamn sense, and messing around with trippy 1990s era video effects. Scared shit out of most kids watching it.

Here's a nice subtitled example (with horrible subtitle color). I like the part, around the middle of the clip, where she's pleading to the antenna on her head that he should relinquish control of the world's televisions.

Now I'm mostly conflicted, because while she was the terror of my childhood, she's also frickin' hot.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

Depicted horrifying violence against balloons. Even splattered a gore-like substance on Holly. Imagined an Old Yeller ending, considering the plot. Borderline inappropriate for children.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y I NO GET TO BED AT A REASONABLE TIME?!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Mousou

Postby Mousou » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:29 am UTC

I am... Intrigued and confused at the same time... She makes no sense at all, but I just can't stop watching it Oo

Just to add to the list of strange children's programmes, I bring you a norwegian show (from before my time, but I've watched a fair amount of it nonetheless): Pompel & Pilt (subtitled) (title loosely translated to "Butt and Schlong")

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 am UTC

I've recently moved house and am still unpacking. I've decided it would be a good idea to put my books on my shelves in alphabetical order by author. This is a good plan, but is throwing up some interesting juxtapositions.

Good: Jules Verne next to H.G. Wells next to John Wyndham.
Bad: Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov) next to The Time Traveller's Wife (Aubrey Niffeneger). That just seems wrong.

Ah well, they probably won't last, I'm sure these will be split up as I find more books.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 am UTC

Surely sorting them by genre would make more sense?

Reinvent the dewey decimal system!
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am UTC

Yeah... that wouldn't make much difference. My collection is at least 75% fantasy and science fiction, with a bit of crime and some human drama thrown in. I'm separating out the non-fiction I use for reference from the ones I use for entertainment, though. Reference gets a separate section, entertainment goes in with everything else.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Maybe sort them by color? :P It'll look pleasing to the eye, in addition to being fuzzy enough to separate unrelated books.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

Sorry, I'm sticking with:
Alphabetical by author, then in-universe chronological order for series. Standalone novels and single-author story collections go next to the series.

Multiple-author story collections, research reference books and comics / graphic novels each get their own section.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

Yeah, I can't sort by author, as I have too many books. Instead I sort by size. All the normal paperbacks I can stick on certain shelves, sometimes 3 deep. The harcovers and oddly shaped books are then sorted by which shelf they fit on, plus what looks good.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

Screech: I just heard one of the current batch of anti-drink-driving adverts over the radio. It was a testimonial from a guy who had been caught: "I had to spend a night in the cells, it was terrible", "I got a X month driving ban", "I lost my job", "it put strain on my relationship with my girlfriend and we ended up splitting up", etc etc.

It struck me that none of these things are consequences of driving drunk. They're consequences of getting caught and being punished for driving drunk.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

That goes for pretty much any law. It doesn't punish anyone for committing a crime, it just punishes them for getting caught.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

It just strikes me as the wrong message to send. If it was a testimonial about a guy who got drunk, drove, and ended up killing someone and now he has to live with that guilt for the rest of his life (as well as whatever punishment he was given), I think that would be the right message to send. As it is, it's saying "don't get caught". And in this particular testimonial, the drunk driver didn't hurt anyone, he was just pulled over randomly and breath tested. That makes it sound like the drink driving laws were set up simply to persecute motorists, rather than prevent deaths. "Don't do X because we have mechanisms in place that will punish you if you do X", not "Don't do X for reason Y". I mean, surely they could have found one person who actually had killed someone while driving drunk, and was willing to give a testimonial.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

But then the message would be "It's OK to drive drunk as long as you don't kill anyone." I'm not sure that's a good message to be putting out.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Yeah, thing is, what's the easiest way not to get caught?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

But that's the thing - drunk driving IS a victimless crime, at least until you hurt someone. I don't approve of it, and it is horrible when someone is killed due to a drunk driver. But that does not mean if I have a BAC of .09 and drive home I'm suddenly a horrible person who would punch babies and grandmothers.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

No, you'd just practice blindfolded jujitsu in a combined nursing home and nursery.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Oh me yarm It's been 4 hours since anyone's posted anything here. This sort of madness cannot be.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

It's finals week. Presumably, people are studying and not wasting time on forums.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Woo hoo, my finals are done. I have all sorts of time to waste on fora.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I agree with SlyReaper. The message should be: don't drink and drive because you don't drive safely anymore. Getting caught and taking a ride with the police certainly isn't the worst that can possibly happen. Maybe they have different ads with different cases?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Kang wrote:I agree with SlyReaper. The message should be: don't drink and drive because you don't drive safely anymore. Getting caught and taking a ride with the police certainly isn't the worst that can possibly happen. Maybe they have different ads with different cases?
In situations like this, I am going to go the effectiveness route and say the message should be whatever keeps drunk driving the lowest. If the possibility of punishment scares people to not drive drunk more then the guilt of possibly killing someone, I am going to say go with it.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Screech: I just heard one of the current batch of anti-drink-driving adverts over the radio. It was a testimonial from a guy who had been caught: "I had to spend a night in the cells, it was terrible", "I got a X month driving ban", "I lost my job", "it put strain on my relationship with my girlfriend and we ended up splitting up", etc etc.

It struck me that none of these things are consequences of driving drunk. They're consequences of getting caught and being punished for driving drunk.

Indeed. A while back there was a campaign of "Drink. Drive. Go to Jail."

I'd think "Drink. Drive. Die." would be a little more direct, correct, and just work a hell of a lot better better thanks to our friends alliteration and the letter "D".
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm UTC

Have it all. Get fined, go to jail, wreck your car, kill somebody, kill yourself.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

philsov wrote:I'd think "Drink. Drive. Die." would be a little more direct, correct, and just work a hell of a lot better better thanks to our friends alliteration and the letter "D".
I don't know. Honestly most of the people I know don't drive drunk because they are afraid of getting caught not because of the possibility of death. Honestly I am guessing the research has been done, and the reason why the ads are the way they are is that it was found to be the most effective. All Kang's shotgun method of just pointing out all the possibilities does seem best.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

so long as they can all be reduced to monosyllabic words that start with D I'm content with that solution.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 am UTC

Telling people they'll go to jail if they drive with a BAC over a certain amount probably works better because if you just say "don't drive while drunk because you're impaired and you might kill someone or yourself" there will be people who won't believe that they're impaired, whether they're right or not, and try it. If you tell them that it doesn't matter how impaired you feel, if your BAC is above X you're going to get arrested, it works on more people.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Best way to get your entire IT department to go on a long coffee break simultaneously:

"My computer is broken again! Now what am I supposed to do? PLEASE CALL ME RIGHT AWAY"

Now you are supposed to stop panicking because the computer shut down after you ran the backup like I told you it would (so you can run it at night and leave it because anything else would be too much work). I know the monitors didn't come on this morning. I told you we could troubleshoot it remotely since it worked fine in my lab. Please. Calm down. Stop trying to outdo my mail server in maintenance time requirements.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

So the new Avenged Sevenfold song says something about being "chained like a snake." I really don't think it's possible to chain a snake to anything. I have one. They fit through pretty small spaces, so even if you got a chain small enough for it, it would probably crawl right out. And it's not like there are any limbs to keep it from getting out. I feel this is a flawed simile.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:So the new Avenged Sevenfold song says something about being "chained like a snake." I really don't think it's possible to chain a snake to anything. I have one. They fit through pretty small spaces, so even if you got a chain small enough for it, it would probably crawl right out. And it's not like there are any limbs to keep it from getting out. I feel this is a flawed simile.

Slave, not snake.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Oh, what the crap. They're making an Old Man's War movie, or at least optioned for it. That isn't going to work at all. It is a great book, but it won't translate into a movie very well - at least not a movie Hollywood would make. It will be full of explosions and action, instead of pointedly showing issues with war.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

I suppose you could give a snake a body piercing, then chain it up using that.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Dude, you wouldn't even need to pay me. Shit kickers are all polished up <3. How desperate do they gotta be? Well, good luck with that moral high ground. My pointed stick(Lapiz) and camp fire are ready! I GOT one hell of a camp fire for this character. It boggles the mind! Even if the GOP tortured every American from now to the election, they would make due rather than voting for this guy. They're clearly underestimating the resolve of the American people. At least Perry is affable! This guy has NO redeeming qualities. Just a giant bottle of crazy pills! It's gotta be part of a larger plan. It could be in line with an average looking gal hanging out with less attractive friends.....a little crass, but paints a good picture. How bad does Mittens look NOW deep pockets?

Spoiler:
staypuft-smore-cropped.jpg

graham cracker crust :)

They went straight to Sheriff Buford T Justice! Junior, LOL! If that's the result of their "re-branding" campaign, I can only imagine their real vision for America's future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4WMpAjJ ... re=related

( I've edited so much good stuff)
Last edited by The Cat on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

silent man

Postby silent man » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Dear @esa and @esaoperations: Please make up your minds. You can either be entirely different feeds, or make the same tweets ALL the time so I can stop following one of you. Your current level of doubling is rather annoying.

I understand why they want to keep the four surviving orbiters in the US, but I'm still a little sad that Enterprise didn't go to Speyer. They would have made another great double exhibit.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

You'd think I'd eventually catch on that 8 beers on 5 hours of sleep and 3 sandwiches all day isn't a good idea. Good thing I had dinner about an hour ago, starting to feel sober again... :P

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I suppose you could give a snake a body piercing, then chain it up using that.

Or tie it into a knot? Though that might be a lot more difficult.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

It worries me that my job is letting me go, after I'm the only person who made the reccomendations that prevented it from shutting for health and safety reasons. They're perfectly within their rights to let me go, I'm just a temp, but... Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Return to “General”