Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lucrezaborgia

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Frankly... there's a whole hell of a lot to this post that just.. irks me. There's the notion that his sexuality or sexual identity is *wrong* because he wants to be the First Lady. There's the notion that he has a dream of being the spouse of the president in the first place which appears to be backed by nothing more than a desire to see his spouse succeed which is a desire most spouses have, but let's move on from that. There's the notion that the husband of the President would be known as the First Lady which.. is wrong, as it'd be the First Gentleman.....

So.. yeah. Facts wrong about the title, facts odd about the desire, sentence pretty phobic of anything that isn't ironclad gender-role-filling heterosexuality....

I know you probably meant it as a throwaway joke comment, but.. please rethink the entire statement you're about to say when posting in the future, okay?

Usually I'd be more nice, but not to a man who runs an X-gay therapy service and whose wife is actively anti-gay. I'll start treating Marcus with respect when he starts treating people with the respect they deserve. Not gonna hold my breath on that one...
Last edited by lucrezaborgia on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

...fair enough.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...fair enough.

If Marcus and Michelle weren't so rabidly anti-gay I'd totally defend Marcus against the people who say he's "obviously gay".

Why? Because I have to do it all the time for my fiance! :evil:

"Wait...he can sew, decorate, cook, likes to read, doesn't like sports...you sure he's not gay?"

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

Couldn't he just be "First Dude" like Mr. Palin?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Had cake and frosting. Yay, correct? Attempted to spread the (cold) frosting onto the (cold) cake. Reduced the cake to bits without any frosting leaving the knife. Applied the frosting to the plate, ditched the knife, and tried using a finger. Poked it repeatedly without success. Resigned to a mouth mixture method and unequal ratios. Still tasted fine, fortunately. #firstworldproblems

May be spoiled from spreading it on (warm) toast. And from spreading more peanut butter than frosting by a factor of one hundred.

Briefly heat frosting in microwave. Frosting goes soft again. Spread onto cake. Success. #nomorefirstworldproblems
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:Usually I'd be more nice, but not to a man who runs an X-gay therapy service and whose wife is actively anti-gay. I'll start treating Marcus with respect when he starts treating people with the respect they deserve. Not gonna hold my breath on that one...
Relevant:
Spoiler:

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:
Deva wrote:Had cake and frosting. Yay, correct? Attempted to spread the (cold) frosting onto the (cold) cake. Reduced the cake to bits without any frosting leaving the knife. Applied the frosting to the plate, ditched the knife, and tried using a finger. Poked it repeatedly without success. Resigned to a mouth mixture method and unequal ratios. Still tasted fine, fortunately. #firstworldproblems

May be spoiled from spreading it on (warm) toast. And from spreading more peanut butter than frosting by a factor of one hundred.

Briefly heat frosting in microwave. Frosting goes soft again. Spread onto cake. Success. #nomorefirstworldproblems

Heated the cake instead of the frosting. Avoided scraping frosting off of the plate or letting the frosting sit out for ages. Worked passably. Posted this here instead of the Rant Thread due to the simple solution. (Will not rupture a vein over frosting either. Just ate cake too. Cannot rage after that.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:33 am UTC

I love it when there are co-winners on Jeopardy. Unlike anything else, when you tie, you both win instead of both losing. Everytime someone wins by a dollar and the other person goes home with $2000 instead of 26thou or what ever they earned makes me really sad for them.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Nexan

Postby Nexan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 am UTC

Having a big stack of banknotes, even if they are just ones, sure does make me feel like a badass. I've considered going to the bank and just getting out $100 in ones for this purpose.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:23 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I love it when there are co-winners on Jeopardy. Unlike anything else, when you tie, you both win instead of both losing. Everytime someone wins by a dollar and the other person goes home with $2000 instead of 26thou or what ever they earned makes me really sad for them.

I was watching Wheel of Fortune the other day and there was this woman who had racked up $13000 in cash and prizes and when it came to solving the puzzle, she was off by one letter ("SWIMMING ALONG TROPICAL FISH" vs. the correct "SWIMMING AMONG TROPICAL FISH"). She lost it all because the next contestant solved it, and she ended up only going home with $1000. I would hate to lose all those winnings because of a tiny mistake. You could tell she realized she had made the mistake as soon as she had finished saying it. Sucks.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 am UTC

I just lost my DS9 virginity. Life is good.

Also: in itunes, is there any way to force two specific songs to play together? I always want We Will Rock You to be followed by We Are The Champions.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 am UTC

I have not opened up iTunes in a long time and my version is probably outdated and I don't feel like updating now...
*opens iTunes and checks*
Apparently you have to do that when importing from a CD. I can find no other way to do it. When you import, select the two songs and go to Advanced > Join CD Tracks.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:04 am UTC

The EGE wrote:I just lost my DS9 virginity. Life is good.
The fucking best ST. Sisko foreva.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:33 am UTC

Why is there blueish camouflage army clothing? As far as I know the colours on a suit merge to the total average of groundcolours in one area. Where is the average of groundcolors blue?
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 am UTC

On the ocean.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:09 am UTC

Zarq wrote:On the ocean.

Liar. Everyone knows sailors wear happy Sailor-suits.
Also: Wouldn't it make more sense to wear grey camouflage or are they afraid of being sniped out of the water if the ships sinks?

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:14 am UTC

it's to camoflouge to the water, but it's more for matchy-matchy to all the other uniforms than anything else, cause chances are if they are in a place they might be seen, some one will notice the boat first. also, it makes it even more impossible to rescue a man overboard.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:
Zarq wrote:On the ocean.

Liar. Everyone knows sailors wear happy Sailor-suits.

Seaman Ship, Seaman Ship, for Love!

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 pm UTC

Why is there blueish camouflage army clothing?

I'm not one to tread on a mans grave, did you really need to ask?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMmueKdNMSU

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

Also: in itunes, is there any way to force two specific songs to play together? I always want We Will Rock You to be followed by We Are The Champions.

Helped someone lose their Futurama v-card last night. It was good times.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:Why is there blueish camouflage army clothing? As far as I know the colours on a suit merge to the total average of groundcolours in one area. Where is the average of groundcolors blue?

Oooh! Oooh! Something I know the answer to!

The USN adopted the blue camo for a couple reasons. The first is that a way was needed to reduce the number of uniforms needed by the average seaman, and they saw that the Marine Corps' recently adopted uniform was suitable for Navy use (meaning they didn't have to spend as much money studying the problem). Further, adopting it brought the Navy's enlisted uniforms more in line with the other branches, creating a more "military" atmosphere; this was a big morale improver.

As for the color scheme, it was selected because the inside of a ship is dirty, especially the working spaces. The digitized blue pattern does a great job of concealing dirt, oil and grease stains, and the particular colors of paint used inside ships. This, in turn, lengthens the average time between issuing the uniform and declaring it unserviceable, which makes it cheaper to supply.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
BIGGEST CAPTAIN IS BEST CAPTAIN!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Dark567 wrote:
Yeah, I just started DS9 again actually, and although I am not sure it ever hit the highs that TNG did, it doesn't really have terrible episodes either. TNG has some real turds in there.

Plus its interesting to watch it after BSG, and see how the ideas in DS9(and to a lesser extent the ideas, but not the execution of Voyager) led to Ron Moore's decisions in BSG. Although he handled the ending with the prophets way better then he handled the ending with the ... "Angels".
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
Dark567 wrote:
Yeah, I just started DS9 again actually, and although I am not sure it ever hit the highs that TNG did, it doesn't really have terrible episodes either. TNG has some real turds in there.

Seriously. "The Game?" WTF was that? Also, too: every episode with Troi as the main character.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

You know, I liked The Game.

Wonder why.....

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 pm UTC

Troi, ugh... Thine Own Self was painful to watch, even though I was like 8 when it came out. I like the actress, but the character had no business being in command of anything.

blag

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 am UTC

nehpest wrote:Troi, ugh... Thine Own Self was painful to watch, even though I was like 8 when it came out. I like the actress, but the character had no business being in command of anything.

To be fair, counselors (much like children -- except Wesley Crusher) don't really have much of a place on a starship in the first place.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:24 am UTC

Ahahahahaa. This campaign keeps getting more hilarious. And depressing.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:28 am UTC

Enjoyed the show. I watched War Horse Christmas day. The locations reminded me of Ireland, beautiful country. Very well done. The charge scene sent chills. The trench warfare was tough for me. There was a speaker right next to my ear, when those machine guns opened up, it reminded me of Saving Private Ryan. I was squirming around in my seat. Its an emotional journey.

I wish it would get light sooner, it isn't safe to run around here in the dark. I can hear the night crawlers just getting in...

Ahahahahaa. This campaign keeps getting more hilarious. And depressing

Right! I cant bare to watch anymore of the non sense. It's like little kids on the playground.

He said something bad about me? I'd like to see him say it to my face! Tell him to meet at the chocolate factory after lunch!

Advisor- Sir, you really shouldn't be seen at a chocolate factory, I don't think it bodes well for the image we're trying to create/get away from.

I disagree, this will be a great opportunity to show America what a hard worker I really am, like Regan!

Advisor- Sir, Regan was a Cowboy. I don't think we're gonna be able to cultivate that image.

Get those two Hispanics Bubba has down at the cotton gin, I'll roll up my sleeves and show em what a hard working person I really am!

Advisor- Sir! Are you really suggesting that we put a Hispanic on either side of you while you stack chocolate?

Yes!

Advisor- I quit!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

The number of books in my "to read" pile has exceeded 40. I really should stop buying books for a while.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

613 read, 217 unread, according to my little spreadsheet I made a year ago. Little has changed, I've hardly bought any new books since The Destitutioning, but haven't read much either. About 150 of those books I am never going to read, or got about ~8% in and went nah.

I had about the same read:unread ratio of ebooks on my Stanza, too, but the app decided to fnargle and I reinstalled it, losing all my ebooks. Now I only add them as and when I'm planning on reading them.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

I have one book I want to finish.

And it's on my desk.

Eh... *pokes with stick*

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

You can't say stuff like that without specifying which book it is. It's against the law!
You rang?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

Katzenjammer is the most awesomest band evarr!

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

I'm beginning to suspect that books are in some sort of conspiracy. I don't get nearly as much reading done as I'd love to and despite reading a chapter or two every now and then it always seems like the bookmark wasn't moving towards the back at all. Do they add more pages to the end while the book is lying on my desk?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

Do they add more pages to the end while the book is lying on my desk?

The never ending story, I've been reading that one as well.

I enjoyed a Magnum of fine champagne last night. Extremely well crafted. However, I don't care for the store clerk. I'm gonna go shopping elsewhere in the future. Same owners, but I won't see that clerk again.....I'm heading to the pub for a glass right now. Cheers!

I didn't seem to get enough of the electrolytes....probably too worried about the hawk...lol
Last edited by The Cat on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

I think it should be required for everyone to listen to John Murphy's Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor) once a day, to remind everyone of humanity.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:I think it should be required for everyone to listen to John Murphy's Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor) once a day, to remind everyone of humanity.

And those that don't shall be killed?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

I enjoyed it. Good morning coffee music. Nice way to start the day.

Weather is so nice, It feels like San Diego. Pacifico con un limon.

Old acquaintances b forgotten (clerk).

Return to “General”