Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

torontoraptor

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby torontoraptor » Wed May 02, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

I'm going to go buy paint and possibly a nerf gun! Because looking for a summer job is over rated :D
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:You can do my homework if you want. Do you have any Java experience? Some statistical analysis perhaps? How about making an abstract about some IEEE featured article concerning multimedia? Or analyzing methods for adaptive video encoding maybe?

(Holy crap, I still have a lot of stuff to do.)

Yeah...I was a clinical laboratory science major. Need to do a project on bacterial infections maybe?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:You can do my homework if you want.

no

Do you have any Java experience?

yes

Some statistical analysis perhaps?

sorta

How about making an abstract about some IEEE featured article concerning multimedia?

that's vague

Or analyzing methods for adaptive video encoding maybe?

yes

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

SlyReaper, check your member interview.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 03, 2012 2:43 am UTC

I missed my arbitrary large round number post.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 am UTC

I probably have double the amount of posts stated there, but they don't show up, so I learned not to care. But congratulation.

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm UTC

Dunno, oh bouncing one, 3003 is a pretty awesome number.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I probably have double the amount of posts stated there, but they don't show up, so I learned not to care. But congratulation.

At the time of that last post, I had 4404 total posts. Cool! Repeating digits!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 03, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Its grossly pleasant when people learn about really useful shortcuts on their computer. Seeing a programmer discover shift + right-click for opening command prompt, or copying filepaths is a bliss that everyone can share in.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu May 03, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

I recently finished Weaveworld. I enjoyed it, but dammit, I feel like I need to go back and re-read it again. The first time through I was so concerned with finding out what happened I mentally skimmed parts. The prose was quite good, but I didn't enjoy it because I was too busy trying to plow through to the conclusion.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Its grossly pleasant when people learn about really useful shortcuts on their computer. Seeing a programmer discover shift + right-click for opening command prompt, or copying filepaths is a bliss that everyone can share in.

You just made me shift right-click my whole computer. It took me about five minutes to work out where it is you shift right-click to open the command prompt; it's the desktop.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

roband

Postby roband » Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:Its grossly pleasant when people learn about really useful shortcuts on their computer. Seeing a programmer discover shift + right-click for opening command prompt, or copying filepaths is a bliss that everyone can share in.

You just made me shift right-click my whole computer. It took me about five minutes to work out where it is you shift right-click to open the command prompt; it's the desktop.

Huh? In win7 you can do it anywhere. Shift+right-click gives you 'extra' options, including 'open command window' and 'copy file path'.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Dthen wrote:

Huh? In win7 you can do it anywhere. Shift+right-click gives you 'extra' options, including 'open command window' and 'copy file path'.

You can? The only place it seems to work for me is the desktop.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

It works for me on Desktop and explorer windows. On other applications I just get the application's right click menu.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

On me, it only works on the desktop/explorer. However, since there was a significant delay between the click and the context menu appearing, I had tabbed back to Firefox, in which case the context menu showed up and now will not go away unless I click one of its options.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri May 04, 2012 7:48 am UTC

"There is a rumor going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely, because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." -- Terry Pratchett

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Fri May 04, 2012 7:58 am UTC

roband wrote:
Dthen wrote:

Ahh, I see what my issue was. I was trying to do it from "Computer", which, not being a real directory, confused the poor thing terribly.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Yeah, by "anywhere", I meant anywhere in Explorer :)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri May 04, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

I usually just press windows key + R to bring up "run", and "cmd" is already there so I just press enter.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I usually just press windows key + R to bring up "run", and "cmd" is already there so I just press enter.

But then you aren't in the folder which is the point of the shift + right click variant.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri May 04, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Oh! Wow I totally didn't catch that.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

"Drag shit into the command window" always worked fine for me. Works on most OSes, too.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

Drag? Window? What is this gibberish? Everyone knows M-Return brings up an Xterm.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat May 05, 2012 1:13 am UTC

I'll admit, I choked up just a little when the local DJ said "We're going to be playing a lot Beastie Boys tonight. We'll make sure MCA makes it home safe." Not too sure of my religious beliefs, but I think the sentiment is beautiful.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat May 05, 2012 7:40 am UTC

I've been trying to figure out a good Mother's Day gift besides the usual bouquet of flowers. I think I might have figured it out, as dumb as it sounds, but I'm having serious trouble trying to find it.

When I was little, my mom had this set of brightly-colored plastic cooking utensils. The set included two spatulas, a spoon, a slotted spoon, and this weird spoon/whisk hybrid thing. Many of the pieces of the set are long gone after years of use and damage, but the one thing that has (just barely) hung on is that the spoon whisk thing. It's broken and on its last leg, but my mom continues to use it when making stuff like pudding and gravy. She's mentioned on numerous occasions how she wishes she could find a replacement for it.

The spoon kind of looks like this spatula:

It's not like an ordinary slotted spoon, which has a very rigid bowl shape with small slots. This slots on this spoon are very large and make the bowl very flexible.

I can't for the life of me figure out what this thing is even called. I've tried several different search queries, such as "spoon whisk" or "whisk spoon" or just simply browsing through pages and pages of "slotted spoons", hoping I'd find it.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat May 05, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

A button we could all use! :)
http://make-everything-ok.com/

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been trying to figure out a good Mother's Day gift besides the usual bouquet of flowers. I think I might have figured it out, as dumb as it sounds, but I'm having serious trouble trying to find it.

When I was little, my mom had this set of brightly-colored plastic cooking utensils. The set included two spatulas, a spoon, a slotted spoon, and this weird spoon/whisk hybrid thing. Many of the pieces of the set are long gone after years of use and damage, but the one thing that has (just barely) hung on is that the spoon whisk thing. It's broken and on its last leg, but my mom continues to use it when making stuff like pudding and gravy. She's mentioned on numerous occasions how she wishes she could find a replacement for it.

The spoon kind of looks like this spatula:

It's not like an ordinary slotted spoon, which has a very rigid bowl shape with small slots. This slots on this spoon are very large and make the bowl very flexible.

I can't for the life of me figure out what this thing is even called. I've tried several different search queries, such as "spoon whisk" or "whisk spoon" or just simply browsing through pages and pages of "slotted spoons", hoping I'd find it.
Could it possibly be a "flat whisk"?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat May 05, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

That is incredibly close to what I'm looking for, except what I'm looking for is more spoonlike than whisklike, if that makes sense. I will go ahead and try that term and see what I get, though. Thanks!

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

I am facepalming very hard at something I said in February of 2011.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1231679/2

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun May 06, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

So I just saw a picture of Fry's dog in Futurama and I noticed he had a mustache. Who's the only other (important) character in Futurama with a mustache? Scruffy. Sc-RUFF-y. Scruff also develops a close friendship with Fry, is very loyal, and doesn't have an own opinion and just agrees with everyone (Second.). I'm telling you, Seymour reincarnated as Scruffy.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun May 06, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

I wasn't actually being serious with the "I'm telling you" part. It's probably all a coincidence. A funny coincidence. A reassuring coincidence for all those people who are still sad about the end of Jurassic Bark.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

This is what I hate about the internet: there's no tone.

I realized you (probably) weren't being serious. I meant to reply in kind. In real life this would have been evident from tone, although I'm not sure how I would have managed to get my voice to be clickable and to go to a webpage. I guess the internet has some advantages too.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 06, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:This is what I hate about the internet: there's no tone.
Wē cóuld ùse sōme kǐnd of tǒne mārk, bǔt thàt seéms còmplícàted.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 am UTC

It just looks like you have flies on your post.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am UTC

(Avatar by Sungura)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 am UTC

So... I'm thinking of moving my parents out here, with a possibility that we'd be living together in an apartment or house by the beginning of next year.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:39 am UTC

It makes no difference how good at chess you are, the pigeon is just going to walk around the board, knock over the pieces, crap on everything, and strut like it won.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 am UTC

I feel at this point, (11am) there is not a large chance of my getting a full night's sleep. It seems I accidentally an all-nighter.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Since when are crocheted lions "very British"?
Turkey doesn't claim land rights to the moon, either.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “General”