Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

No, just fencing a builder.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

Look, the link at the top is back too. So many good things happen while I sleep.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:This thread has turned into an orwellian nightmare.
Don't commit any thoughtcrimes on this page, big brother is watching you.

How fitting...

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

I don't mean to brag, but I didn't have any problem with the last unread post button, and I don't really know what link you guys were talking about...I'm using subsilver.
Screech: French keyboards are bizarre. I won't be able to type when I get home...
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:I don't mean to brag, but I didn't have any problem with the last unread post button, and I don't really know what link you guys were talking about...I'm using subsilver.
Screech: French keyboards are bizarre. I won't be able to type when I get home...

When using French keyboards, I've never been able to azertyn what I find odd about them.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

o_O are posts vanishing from this thread?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:o_O are posts vanishing from this thread?

Maybe? Or they are being restored? I notice the pony that was a page topper isn't a page topper anymore, it looks like it's been shifted ahead a couple posts (or back a lot). Maybe soft-deleted posts are being made visible back in the depths of time?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:o_O are posts vanishing from this thread?

Maybe? Or they are being restored? I notice the pony that was a page topper isn't a page topper anymore, it looks like it's been shifted ahead a couple posts (or back a lot). Maybe soft-deleted posts are being made visible back in the depths of time?

I made a 1984-related post on page 1984. Now it's on 1983.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

Maybe soft-deleted posts are being hard-deleted?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Maybe soft-deleted posts are being hard-deleted?

Winner winner

Something about dinner involving chickens..... I don't get it
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Flail

Postby The Flail » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:56 am UTC

Heeyyy everyooone! I'm new! Hee hee ^-^

I'm confused. Is there some hidden meaning referring to the state of a boiled egg? Or is it perchance a mere coincidence within posts?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 am UTC

The Flail wrote:Heeyyy everyooone! I'm new! Hee hee ^-^

I'm confused. Is there some hidden meaning referring to the state of a boiled egg? Or is it perchance a mere coincidence within posts?

Boiled egg?
I'm afraid I don't know what pattern you're referring to...
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 am UTC

I think they're referring to the 'hard-delete' and 'soft-delete'.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:41 am UTC

Call it a delayed reaction, but I just realized that Tom Cruise likes to play lead in movies where
Spoiler:
he's set up by his superior and after many close calls still manages to get the girl. (The Firm, Minority Report, MI3 that I know of)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 am UTC

You just described like half of the action movies.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 am UTC

I'm not new, and I kinda have no idea what this hard/soft-delete thing is either.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:06 am UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:I'm not new, and I kinda have no idea what this hard/soft-delete thing is either.

Soft-deleted = the user deleted the post, but the post is still viewable for moderators and administrators
Hard-deleted = the post was completely deleted and cannot be viewed by anyone
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:I'm not new, and I kinda have no idea what this hard/soft-delete thing is either.

Soft-deleted = the user deleted the post, but the post is still viewable for the user themselve moderators and administrators
Hard-deleted = the post was completely deleted and cannot be viewed by anyone except possibly moderators and admins

FTFY. It varies from implementation to implementation.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 am UTC

I'll admit my only experience with the subject is with vBulletin, and not phpBB.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:48 am UTC

So is mine, and there moderators had to/could delete the deleted posts, but no normal users (including the OP) couldn't see it. Unless I'm remembering very wrong.
You rang?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 am UTC

No, if it's hard-deleted we can't see it. Soft-deleted posts can be seen by the person who posted it and mods/admins.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

Hard-delete means the post just straight-up doesn't exist any more... in stock phpBB, this is the only kind of deletion. Once it's gone, it's gone, and the post doesn't exist anywhere in the database any more.

Soft-delete is an add-on to phpBB we were running for a while which meant that posts could be "deleted", but they still existed... they could be seen by the user that posted them, and by moderators/admins. Gave the mods a little bit more flexibility re deleting things but keeping records, and helped save users who deleted their posts by accident (as soft-deleted posts could be un-deleted). However, it had a lot of glitches, especially with page counts (since posts were visible for some users and not others, the exact length of threads, and thus which page of a thread certain posts are on, could vary from one user to another, and the code didn't account for that in all cases), so in the recent upgrade it was removed. There are still some flow-on effects, but hopefully they will be cleared up over time.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

"mweck mweck"

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

Ah, Orwell page (for me, at least)

When I was in Paris the ducks had an accent. I confirmed this in Toulouse by listening the Cows and Volcan Le Donk. He sure did tear a lump out of Toby's 'airyside. Still scarred, I'm promised. When I'm down I listen to the Cagney & Lacey theme tune; it's the campest sax theme out there, save everything else in the 1990s (don't believe me? 1.) how dare you and 2.) search for fagney & gaycey on YouTube. It's jokes). How can you play 'my first, my last, my everything' well on a pair of acoustic guitars? These are questions that need swift answers! There's also an Elbow in there, too. Chop chop - the wedding's in April so start furnishing. Is Goldeneye on the PS3 as good as Goldeneye Source? I was disappointed to find I was the first person to make an arrow to the knee reference on the forums, but it's a title I'll take nonetheless.

I got a digitron pianola.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

Um, how exactly is it possible that I can access a website but I can't tracert it?
I believe the website has been the victim of a DDoS recently, and may have some kind of DDoS protection. Could that be it?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Um, how exactly is it possible that I can access a website but I can't tracert it?
I believe the website has been the victim of a DDoS recently, and may have some kind of DDoS protection. Could that be it?

Because it's behind a firewall that allows HTTP but not ICMP.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Re: "mweck mweck"

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:It's jokes

Your The Cat impression is great. This is all I understood, and it made me smile.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 am UTC

I'm interested in trying to build a "robot" with sensors, motors and what-have-you. I need it to be expandable, too, so I can add on stuff as I go. There's just one major thing I want: I want to remotely control it from my computer, and send it commands over wifi or bluetooth.

Is there some sort of tool/package for this? I'm currently doing this (while very limited and very expensive) on a Lego Mindstorms set. I have a friend who's playing with a Raspberry Pi, but I'm not sure it can actually go and power motors, accept battery power, etc.

Of course, the backup plan would be to build this thing full-size and embed an entire computer in there...

And if I do that, is there an easy way to just plug in servo motors, sensors etc to USB?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am UTC

Typically for that sort of thing, the power doesn't come from the controller. Even for small things, it's just too much power draw, way more than electronics need. A Raspberry Pi would work but possibly overkill. Maybe look into Arduino stuff?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I'm interested in trying to build a "robot" with sensors, motors and what-have-you. I need it to be expandable, too, so I can add on stuff as I go. There's just one major thing I want: I want to remotely control it from my computer, and send it commands over wifi or bluetooth.

Is there some sort of tool/package for this? I'm currently doing this (while very limited and very expensive) on a Lego Mindstorms set. I have a friend who's playing with a Raspberry Pi, but I'm not sure it can actually go and power motors, accept battery power, etc.

Of course, the backup plan would be to build this thing full-size and embed an entire computer in there...

And if I do that, is there an easy way to just plug in servo motors, sensors etc to USB?

An arduino would be perfect to use, you can either get the module with bluetooth or wifi, or build it yourself. You'd need to have the receiver on the robot, and then use your computer as the transmitter. Depending on range, radio might actually be a better, and cheaper bet.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

FRT: why is there a "Top" button with every post but no "bottom"?
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

Pro-tip to D&D players: If you need to drink a health potion but don't have enough time to get the bottle open, just eat the entire bottle. Sure the glass is going to rip up your mouth, but the potion will take care of that.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

Will do. Ivy league redirect? Not sure on the games.

Funny, Roo

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:An arduino would be perfect to use, you can either get the module with bluetooth or wifi, or build it yourself. You'd need to have the receiver on the robot, and then use your computer as the transmitter. Depending on range, radio might actually be a better, and cheaper bet.

Josephine wrote:Typically for that sort of thing, the power doesn't come from the controller. Even for small things, it's just too much power draw, way more than electronics need. A Raspberry Pi would work but possibly overkill. Maybe look into Arduino stuff?

Thanks guys, I'll take a look more at the Arduino. I checked it before, but seemed more low-level, and my biggest concern was power supply. I'm also not that experienced with soldering, though this could be a great excuse to get some practice.

I was hoping for some dead-simple, connect-to-bluetooth device that would just output power/return data on demand. I wonder if that's possible with a smartphone...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I'm interested in trying to build a "robot" with sensors, motors and what-have-you. I need it to be expandable, too, so I can add on stuff as I go. There's just one major thing I want: I want to remotely control it from my computer, and send it commands over wifi or bluetooth.

Based on my limited knowledge, you'll be able to power very little through the Pi. The upside is that it can accept low-powered USB peripherals, like certain USB wifi modules (Adafruit sells one that should be compatible, but a lot of them are probably too power-hungry). Pi + wifi is probably slightly cheaper than an Arduino with matching wifi module, and you get a Linux platform and more computing power. I don't know about the power consumption of Pi vs. Arduino. The Arduino is a bit more flexible in terms of inputs and outputs (the Pi doesn't have any analog IO). I've heard of people attaching an Arduino to a Pi for similar reasons.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
torontoraptor wrote:An arduino would be perfect to use, you can either get the module with bluetooth or wifi, or build it yourself. You'd need to have the receiver on the robot, and then use your computer as the transmitter. Depending on range, radio might actually be a better, and cheaper bet.

Josephine wrote:Typically for that sort of thing, the power doesn't come from the controller. Even for small things, it's just too much power draw, way more than electronics need. A Raspberry Pi would work but possibly overkill. Maybe look into Arduino stuff?

Thanks guys, I'll take a look more at the Arduino. I checked it before, but seemed more low-level, and my biggest concern was power supply. I'm also not that experienced with soldering, though this could be a great excuse to get some practice.

I was hoping for some dead-simple, connect-to-bluetooth device that would just output power/return data on demand. I wonder if that's possible with a smartphone...

A smartphone should work. It would be quite a bit heavier though.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 am UTC

You don't need to know how to solder to use an Arduino. You can do it the breadboard way, though it won't be as shiny. If you're going to be working with motors and sensors, you're probably going to want the low level stuff. But no, you're probably not going to get anything as easy as the Mindstorms core block.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Pro-tip to D&D players: If you need to drink a health potion but don't have enough time to get the bottle open, just eat the entire bottle. Sure the glass is going to rip up your mouth, but the potion will take care of that.
Pretty sure it's a free action to drink it (unless it's not a corked bottle?). Takes a standard to get it out of the bag generally though.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 am UTC

Pretty sure drinking a potion is standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity.1 Retrieving a stored item is a move action, and Pathfinder's rules at least are unclear about whether retrieving the potion from one's person is incorporated into the "drink a potion" action or not, leaving it - I'd imagine - up to individual groups' playstyle.

The illustrated method seems to be primarily a way of quaffing multiple potions at once, rather than reducing the quaff-time of a single potion - stuffing one's face and munching down on a mouthful of vials seems like a standard action at the very least. Personally, a simpler solution would seem to me to be storing a larger quantity of healing potion in a thermos or something, houseruled as a potion with multiple "doses," more than one of which may be taken in one quaffing if necessary.

1Doublechecked withPathfinder's online documentation . I believe 3.5 and earlier are similar, and can't remember how 4th Ed handles it and can't be bothered to check.
Have you given up?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

Noc wrote:Pathfinder's rules at least are unclear about whether retrieving the potion from one's person is incorporated into the "drink a potion" action or not, leaving it - I'd imagine - up to individual groups' playstyle.

I always assumed that health potions and the like were usually kept in a bit of leather or rope webbing on a quick release knot on your belt (since that's how they're generally pictured). I actually *have* one of these bottles, with a leather thong that loops over the belt and comes free when you tug it. If the cork is in shallowly enough, you can also thumb the cork off one-handed relatively easily. I could entirely see yanking it off your belt, thumbing off the cork, and chugging the bottle in one fluid motion. So that's how I'd rule it.

But then, I also always took issue with the rule that things like maces took the same action to "draw" as a sword or other bladed weapon. A sword is kept in a sheath, it has to be pulled all the way out, then turned around before you can bring it to bear (unless you're doing the sort of cool iajutsu stuff that the quick-draw feat was made for). A mace, however, since it's shorter and you don't have to worry about it cutting up your legs, would generally hang exactly the way I just described the potion bottle. Yank it off your belt, beat. Same goes for much shorter blades, really, like daggers and such. It just doesn't really make a ton of sense that these weapons take the same action to draw and ready as something like a sword or a longbow.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I always assumed that health potions and the like were usually kept in a bit of leather or rope webbing on a quick release knot on your belt (since that's how they're generally pictured). I actually *have* one of these bottles, with a leather thong that loops over the belt and comes free when you tug it. If the cork is in shallowly enough, you can also thumb the cork off one-handed relatively easily. I could entirely see yanking it off your belt, thumbing off the cork, and chugging the bottle in one fluid motion. So that's how I'd rule it.

I'm pretty sure there are items and such that allow you to drink potions more quickly. Unless specified though, they're apparently just tossed in your pack along with everything else and hence the move action to retrieve and the standard to drink.

But then, I also always took issue with the rule that things like maces took the same action to "draw" as a sword or other bladed weapon. A sword is kept in a sheath, it has to be pulled all the way out, then turned around before you can bring it to bear (unless you're doing the sort of cool iajutsu stuff that the quick-draw feat was made for). A mace, however, since it's shorter and you don't have to worry about it cutting up your legs, would generally hang exactly the way I just described the potion bottle. Yank it off your belt, beat. Same goes for much shorter blades, really, like daggers and such. It just doesn't really make a ton of sense that these weapons take the same action to draw and ready as something like a sword or a longbow.

As an adventurer you'd probably want a clip or something for the mace to ensure it didn't just fall off your belt in any number of adventuring situations (climbing walls, jumping over lava, dodging fireballs etc). I'll grant I don't see why drawing a dagger is as long as drawing a greatsword, but its one of the abstractions I guess you live with. Of course I guess move action is sufficiently vague in terms of duration that it could work. I mean drawing any sword takes less time than moving 30 ft I'd imagine yet both are still move actions.

Return to “General”