Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Carlington

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:49 am UTC

We asked around, apparently this is a neighbourhood kitty, so we're happy to have her visit.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:28 am UTC

poxic wrote:Careful, you may get adopted.

It already has a collar.

Just butcher the connyving little minx and sell the bones to passing gypsies in exchange for cloth.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:34 am UTC

A collar, but no tags, and has been seen wandering the neighbourhood a lot.

Why would I, or anybody for that matter, butcher a kitteh? Besides which, gypsies are disappointingly uncommon in Australia.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Did I ever say by tranq I meant tranquilize?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

No, but I assumed that was it.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Guy finds out I'm a woman on the internet during our game of LoL, what's the first thing that happens? If you guessed that he carried on treating me the same way, you'd be incredibly wrong.
Instead he opted for the 'call her a cunt and threaten her in real life' routine, and then call me a coward when I point out that he's a fricken moron for doing so.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

I hate that people like that exist.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Guy finds out I'm a woman on the internet during our game of LoL, what's the first thing that happens? If you guessed that he carried on treating me the same way, you'd be incredibly wrong.
Instead he opted for the 'call her a cunt and threaten her in real life' routine, and then call me a coward when I point out that he's a fricken moron for doing so.

League of Legends has quite possibly the worst online community, unless you count shit like stormfront etc.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

I pardon less than 10% of people on Tribunal, so I'm inclined to agree >.>
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:It bugs me when people use "racism" to mean "only systemic racism". Because I'm pretty sure when the average person thinks of racism they think of prejudice based on race, and not power structures and privilege and things.

Of course it's useful to be able to refer to systemic racism instead of the generic kind, but I feel like we can do better than calling it "racism". Social justice movements are nothing if not good at making up new words.

I invite you to make a complete list of all the things that bug you about racism. See if the definition for it comes in the top ten or not. Or top fifty or so.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I pardon less than 10% of people on Tribunal, so I'm inclined to agree >.>
Nothing quite like reading "HAH Like I'm getting banned for this" and hitting punish.

I hear the DotA (2?) community is actually worse than LoL because of associated elitism or somesuch.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

The gaming community is one of several that I am a member of and feel dirty by association. There are plenty of great people but I am always upset at the amount of hatred and jerkishness that is there too.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:I hear the DotA (2?) community is actually worse than LoL because of associated elitism or somesuch.

That's debatable.

Dota 1 population is slighly less stupid but more arrogant.
The tendancy accentuates in HoN.
Dota 2 is completely overrun by juvenile russians that are complete assholes, and they infest even the non-russian servers (I assume they don't want to play with the russians either). I understand russian, and they just spout an uninterrupted flow of insults and boasts while lacking any shred of teamwork. It even more of a shithole if you understand what they say - but if you don't panimaioo rooskii, they are like bots that never cooperate, and this is better than LoL. Also those are bots you can very easily taunt into attacking you for the rest of the game ("lol u suk like all rus") and this is fun if you are playing a tanky character. You also see WAY less russians in high brackets.

In conclusion, my assessment: Dota 2 (if you speak russian) < LoL < HoN < Dota 1 < Dota 2 < Dota 2 (high rating)

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
yurell wrote:Guy finds out I'm a woman on the internet during our game of LoL, what's the first thing that happens? If you guessed that he carried on treating me the same way, you'd be incredibly wrong.
League of Legends has quite possibly the worst online community, unless you count shit like stormfront etc.
It's a good thing they started banning people. I know 2 people who've been banned and rightly so. The issue is that they just make new accounts.

Regulating negative players is incredibly difficult. The best thing you can do is eliminate the mechanisms which they use. On the game I manage, we constantly get complaints about racism/etc and we never have enough staff to deal with it. If you punish 1 person for something, people complain someone else is getting away with the same thing when no one is watching. Even then, strict rules are flexible enough to completely destroy gameplay within the rules.

Example: Excessively using taunt is abusable at the moment. I know that's exactly what it's intended for (Although shouldn't be as spammable) and can be disabled, but people generally don't. Furthermore it doesn't come up in tribunal chat logs. I did see someone who got banned partly as a result of taunt spam reports... which is a terrible decision at best.

Also, higher elo LoL play isn't quite as bad. Around the base 1200 it's really quite bad, gets quite a bit better by even 1400. About the same after around 1600-1700.

On racism:
I'm not racist, but* one thing that really bugs me is when foreign people who can't properly speak the native language get hired for jobs that require a lot of interaction with people. Too many times I've been on the phone trying to sort out something where I simply can't understand the person due to thick accent and poor use of English. If they were able to speak English well and with a more English accent (Very thick Irish and Scottish accents can be less than easy to understand as well), then that's a lot better. Rather funny hearing Indians speaking with the Queens English, accent and all; but it's hugely more practical.
I really don't care what race the person I'm talking to is, but on a practical level if it's their job to convey/provide something to me which I'm paying for, then they should be able to speak the language well enough for it to go smoothly. That's usually best done by people of the same race; hence can be perceived as racism, but isn't.

*Read: for comic effect (if you didn't get that)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

The Dominion section of the community, especially the higher elos, is pretty damn nice, at least relatively. I regularly visit an in-client channel and the pros occasionally give out advice and stuff.

Dominion also has one of the highest elo players. His name is...Sauron.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

*tin foil hat* SlefBalia is still lurking.

UniqueScreenname wrote:Stuff

Have you dyed your back-violin-thing, or was it always purple?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Image

Oh man, that's brilliant.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

I just love "нуб".
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:01 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:*tin foil hat* SlefBalia is still lurking.

UniqueScreenname wrote:Stuff

Have you dyed your back-violincello-thing, or was it always purple?

Someone empurpled it for me a while back, and as I'm now the Secretary of Purple on Team Shivahn, I needed to don it.

Note: this is FaiD stuff.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:29 am UTC

I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I'm 26 and my Fridays still consist mainly of alcohol, video games and pizza.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I'm 26 and my Fridays still consist mainly of alcohol, video games and pizza.

I'm 33 and my Fridays consist of D&D and occasional alcohol.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 am UTC

Are you happy with your lot? If so, then don't worry. Believe me, there are so many worse things you could be doing with your life.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:37 am UTC

At 28 that sounds like a pretty decent Friday night with my wife, so unless you feel that those activities are holding you back from doing something else with your life, I don't see the problem.

Spoiler:

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:50 am UTC

Hawk, yurell, are there any other Australian meetup happenings? Sydney never happens ever.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Interesting. I'll be chewing on this all day. learning a new language can be tough.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

I saw this trailer a while back.

Really irked me.

Apparently, for women, using a pencil is a bit on the difficult side, so when at all possible they do all their drawing with the more familiar instrument red lipstick instead.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Bah. Attempting to buy a smart phone from eBay is both nerve wracking and maddening. I'm never sure if I should be disappointed or relieved when I get out big.

My reasons for buying a used phone now:
Spoiler:
On Verizon with unlimited data. No other internet connection available at home, so I tether my devices (wii xbox and computer) to my phone. I've used more than 10gb this month (cycle ends tmrw *shrugs*). I can't resign on my current plan. If I want a subsidized phone I'd have to accepted a tiered plan. My two year old Droid X is 3g not 4g. My phone is starting to show its age, I dropped it this weekend and now there are dead pixels.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I saw this trailer a while back.

Really irked me.

Apparently, for women, using a pencil is a bit on the difficult side, so when at all possible they do all their drawing with the more familiar instrument red lipstick instead.

Without context other than the half-second fragment, I'd say the following are possible explanations:
-she had no pencil
-it distinctly needed to be a red line, and she had no red pencil
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I saw this trailer a while back.

Really irked me.

Without context other than the half-second fragment, I'd say the following are possible explanations:
-she had no pencil
-it distinctly needed to be a red line, and she had no red pencil

seems legit.

if anything, it would show that women are more resourceful since, in any given situation, your average man wouldn't have a writing/highlighting utensil anywhere near them*. the average woman with a purse will have at least one thing you can write with inside of said purse (unless you're my wife, in which case you'll have enough supplies to recreate a make shift Sistine chapel in full color). so maybe they're BETTER for using their lipstick because they had something to draw with in the first place

*based on the context of the clip, i'm imagining this lipstick-to-map experience is somewhat clandestine and probably not in an office or somewhere that one would expect office supplies to be prevailant
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

What sort of a savage doesn't carry a pen or a pencil with them? Besides, lipstick is a pretty terrible drawing utility because of the smearing factor. Should only be used for writing redrum on doors.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:What sort of a savage doesn't carry a pen or a pencil with them? Besides, lipstick is a pretty terrible drawing utility because of the smearing factor. Should only be used for writing redrum on doors.

it's horrendous for permanent marking of things because of the smearing factor..but a quick route highlight on a map before a spy raid seems like a decent usage of it
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:What sort of a savage doesn't carry a pen or a pencil with them? Besides, lipstick is a pretty terrible drawing utility because of the smearing factor. Should only be used for writing redrum on doors.

I'm pretty much the only non-woman I know that always has a pen with me.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

I don't know of anybody who carries pens or pencils unless they carry a purse or backpack, and even then it's not guaranteed.

I do know of a lot of people who own smartphones.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Pencil in the shirt pocket is the #2 rule of fashion of theoretical physicists.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

What's #1?
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Tape?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Pocket protector?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:

I'm pretty much the only non-woman I know that always has a pen with me.

I always carry one. Who knows when you need to write something down.

It's also good for stabbing someone should it be necessitated by a dire situation of self defense.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I always carry one. Who knows when you need to write something down.
Eh, I can "write" anything I need to on my phone.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I always carry one. Who knows when you need to write something down.
Eh, I can "write" anything I need to on my phone.

I have gargantuan hands, so my touch screen keyboard accuracy is something like 30-40%. Needless to say I don't use my phone for writing anything more than I absolutely need to.

Return to “General”