Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: unwashed dishes and toilet paper tubes

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

The kind of a buoy by which ships sail, not the kind of a boy that's a juvenile male.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Angua wrote:The latest episode of Bones has the worst portrayal of medicine ever.

Almost everything they have said/done is wrong, and every justification they give for why they're doing what they're doing is ludicrous.

I think it's a mistake to confuse anything in that show for realistic. I mean, they have a frickin' Star Trek holodeck, for one.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

roband wrote:buh-oi

bwo-ee

boo-oi

Not seeing it

Try any of the following: boye (Middle English), boeye (Middle Dutch), or bouee (Middle French)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Angua wrote:The latest episode of Bones has the worst portrayal of medicine ever.

Almost everything they have said/done is wrong, and every justification they give for why they're doing what they're doing is ludicrous.

I think it's a mistake to confuse anything in that show for realistic. I mean, they have a frickin' Star Trek holodeck, for one.

I generally give them a very large benefit of the doubt. However, this just had so much wrong with it it was ridiculous!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

The show just kind of scours science and general news for neat things and then incorporates it, somehow, crudely, into the storyline. House did the same thing, but had better writers and at least closer to accurate incorporation.

Bones lost me when they recovered evidence from a skeleton that had been dissolved in acid by using a 'Monte Carlo reconstruction'.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The show just kind of scours science and general news for neat things and then incorporates it, somehow, crudely, into the storyline. House did the same thing, but had better writers and at least closer to accurate incorporation.

Bones lost me when they recovered evidence from a skeleton that had been dissolved in acid by using a 'Monte Carlo reconstruction'.

I mean, if you're going to be Sci-fi, there's a lot cooler plots available.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Bones lost me when they recovered evidence from a skeleton that had been dissolved in acid by using a 'Monte Carlo reconstruction'.
My favourite bit so far is when their GC identified a bit of crushed something-or-other from a tire as "pinnate leaflets".

That's some kind of gas chromatograph if it can tell what shape the fucking leaves were before they were run over by a car. :lol:
He/Him/His/Alex

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:

I generally give them a very large benefit of the doubt. However, this just had so much wrong with it it was ridiculous!

I just looked up the episode summary so that in a few months when I get around to watching it, I'll vaguely remember that Angua said it was ludicrous. I expect this to increase my enjoyment of the episode at least three fold!

A while ago my med-student-wife and I watched an episode where Bones looked at a chest xray and said something like "the heart was removed!" and my wife immediately rolled her eyes and said "no, the heart is right where it should be. But that guy sure has a nasty case of pneumonia." It cracked me up. :)
-Adam

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

I thought the bone scan was hilarious. I didn't know we had developed x-ray sonar.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

My pet peeve is when they speciate bacteria through a gram stain, or worse, a wet prep. Maybe, maybe you can get the genus, but species? Impossible.

And as far as House being more accurate, they once irradiated someone with a Staph infection because they couldn't be bothered with a blood culture. It's ludicrous.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Eating dory toes in bed is a terrible idea, but do as I say, not as I do.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:A while ago my med-student-wife and I watched an episode where Bones looked at a chest xray and said something like "the heart was removed!" and my wife immediately rolled her eyes and said "no, the heart is right where it should be. But that guy sure has a nasty case of pneumonia." It cracked me up. :)

Okay, that's funny.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Oh: another good one was when they had the body that somebody had tried to dissolve in hydrofluoric acid. So they tracked it to a garage. Where they had a giant, open drum of HF in the middle of the floor.

I screamed out loud.
He/Him/His/Alex

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:Eating dory toes in bed is a terrible idea, but do as I say, not as I do.

I didn't think she really had toes as such...

Spoiler:
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

I'm watching it now, and it is painful.

"A big enough drop in eosinophils or neutrophils would ensure the virus would grow unimpeded." Actually, that would mean the lymphocytes are doing their job, since they're the virus fighters.

Monocyte-derived macrophages. They're trying to kill me.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Great moments in irony: I just got an SQL error while trying to access the online SQLite documentation.
He/Him/His/Alex

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Despite being a first gen core 2 duo system, my pc still runs almost everything at a satisfactory level. Excluding compiling, dealing with lots of chrome tabs, and a few other bits. This is mildly annoying because I can't really justify getting new bits out of necessity.

Banks really do kinda rip people off with interest rates; they're basically 0 after inflation is taken into account and lowered interest in old accounts. There's so many easy and relatively secure investments that give substantially better returns. After some recent successful investments, it just blows my mind how much banks could make with the amount they deal with. Wouldn't really want to be a trader for a bank though, seems pretty stressful.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

I recently upgraded my core2duo system, having been stuck in the same mindset. The thing that sparked the upgrade was my PSU suddenly dieing, and recieving a larger tax return than expected. Definitely don't regret my i5, but also it's 100% luxury.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Just so we're clear, I did not just go and reference my lecture notes for a thread in reddit/r/asksciencefiction.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Van wrote:Saw sje46 get bestof'd to the front page of Reddit. Thought of ya'll.

Yo.

It's kinda embarrassing how popular that post got, seeing how utterly shitty it was. I wrote that at fuck-me-o'clock. I couldn't even get across my thoughts correctly, seeing how many people thought I was saying it's perfectly acceptable to call people white-knights (which it isn't, unless, of course, they were literally knights clad in white armor.

But thanks, glad to see some people here still remember me. :)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

What even was it?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Thought-terminating clichés remind me of semantic stopsigns.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Dammit, I just put myself on a very strict budget, and AliceCooper.com puts out an awesome lithograph. Want so much.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

It is commonly said that every snowflake is unique; that if you examine a snowflake, then there are no others like it.

How do they know? How many possible shapes are there for a snowflake?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Well, I suppose you establish maximum dimensions a snowflake could occupy. Then you assume radial symmetry so you divide that volume into a certain slice depending on how many times the pattern repeats. Then you calculate m, the maximum number of ice molecules that could exist in that space. There there may be up to 2^m possible snowflakes, assuming no molecules other than frozen H2O can be part of the structure and that distance between individual molecules is constant. (Also assuming that ice molecules can float in fixed location in the structure, but it would be way too complicated for me to weed those out, hence the "up to".)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

I have no idea what that means, but it looks like someone just got math'd.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:It is commonly said that every snowflake is unique; that if you examine a snowflake, then there are no others like it.

How do they know? How many possible shapes are there for a snowflake?

Due to a texture error in the matrix, there are only 37 snowflake designs currently. Next update they'll expand to the full expanse of snowflakes, and also fix the glitch involving human-dolphin communication.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

i can imagine that with the vast number of snowflakes on this planet, at least two of them have to be the same shape, it would be statistically probable for the same thing to happen at least twice if not more times in a set as large as that.

tms

Postby tms » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Snowflakes are also huge. Denied.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Well not necessarily. If you shuffle a deck of 52 cards, then the order of those cards will be unique in the history of everything ever, just due to the fact that there are so many possible orderings for a deck of 52 cards.

But I don't think snowflakes work the same way. Snowflakes have to obey certain physical and chemical laws; it's not all down to random chance like a deck of cards is. They're basically crystals made of H2O. I don't have the informations of knowledges to know exactly how many possible configurations there are, but I'd be interested to find out.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

I forget exactly how it works but it is because snowflakes form out of a nub in the center, and the formation process is a random one. This essentially gives a unique snowflake when the flake is fully formed.

The snowflakes tend to exhibit six-fold symmetry because of the symmetry of the molecules it is made up by.

Luckily, Google was able to find a better explanation
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Thanks to the sheer size and scope of existence that it is likely somewhere in the universe somewhere in time there was another snowflake exactly the same as the one you are examining except for the fact that the atoms themselves aren't the same ones (and maybe the specific heat).

And inversely (because the universe is a jerk) multiple decks of cards could be repeated dozens of times while others will never be organized between now and the heat death of the universe.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:44 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well not necessarily. If you shuffle a deck of 52 cards, then the order of those cards will be unique in the history of everything ever, just due to the fact that there are so many possible orderings for a deck of 52 cards.

But I don't think snowflakes work the same way. Snowflakes have to obey certain physical and chemical laws; it's not all down to random chance like a deck of cards is. They're basically crystals made of H2O. I don't have the informations of knowledges to know exactly how many possible configurations there are, but I'd be interested to find out.

Snowflakes do have substantial restrictions placed on their configurations due to being made from water however snowflakes are absolutely enormous and the effect from size is easily going to dominate that due to the restrictions.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 am UTC

How different do snowflakes have to be to be considered different? Is moving a single molecule enough? Or is this a 'there doesn't exist n grains of sand such that n grains of sand is a pile and n-1 is not' thing?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 am UTC

yurell wrote:How different do snowflakes have to be to be considered different? Is moving a single molecule enough? Or is this a 'there doesn't exist n grains of sand such that n grains of sand is a pile and n-1 is not' thing?

I'm rusty as shit on quantuum mechanics, but aren't atoms defined by functions? How would you compare that?

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:03 am UTC

I don't see why that's a problem. We still have means of ascribing something comparable to position to a wave, and if that's not acceptable we could just replace a hydrogen with a deuterium, blast out an oxygen atom or something similar; the point is 'what degree of difference is required to make two snowflakes different'.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:42 am UTC

Sometimes I wonder how wikipedia would be without the ridiculous bureaucracy and power plays.

This comment has been nominated for speedy deletion. See: WP:FUCKYOU

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:I forget exactly how it works but it is because snowflakes form out of a nub in the center, and the formation process is a random one. This essentially gives a unique snowflake when the flake is fully formed.

The snowflakes tend to exhibit six-fold symmetry because of the symmetry of the molecules it is made up by.

Luckily, Google was able to find a better explanation

so, interesting.
Will someone put in a link to snowflake chemistry? please.
Will someone put in a link to images of snowflakes.

Some of us do not have Super link Powers.
It is exciting to look at Snowflakes.

Each one such a beauty. Well; Most.
The Rod shaped ones branch like quartz, sometimes.

Snowflakes are like spiders. One at a time, on a screen, underglass=Fun.
Snowflakes are like spiders. Too many of them in one place causes them to lose their individual charm.

Are there Two exacty the same? Maybe.
Why?

Over and over, again.
This idea captures the imagination.

Why? What do we want The Truth to be?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “General”