Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: unwashed dishes and toilet paper tubes

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu May 09, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I think I'll go hang out at the nicest place on the internet until this blows over..

Yeah. If Facebook and my other forums are any indication, EVERYONE ON THE GOD DAMN PLANET has been suicidally depressed, and they just didn't know it until Hyperbole And A Half. But they're all fine now.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 09, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

"I got a C- on my test! I'm so depressed now!"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Eh, for a former-Straight A student who busts their ass but has lately not been seeing the point in anything and as such has difficulty in studying and in even completing a test on time due to depression, getting a C- could be an absolutely crushing blow.

So... yeah. C- = depression spiral.

That's the whole thing with depression, that it makes no damned sense even to the person experiencing it and yet there it is.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAH4vipYD_U

Now that's depressing!

______

You can't let rounding get under your skin! Ciao! Este es no importante! Your ability to sell yourself will be the difference in getting a job. Not the difference between .125-.25 on some report card. In 25 years and countless interviews (both sides of the table) I've never discussed GPA. A good manager will be able to ascertain your ability and fit through a pleasant conversation. If your curriculum is in alignment with that company, expect a few question about specific skill sets...They wanna know if you can do the job they're hiring you for. Can he or she get it done. Small town news ain't worth the print.
Last edited by The Cat on Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Eh, for a former-Straight A student who busts their ass but has lately not been seeing the point in anything and as such has difficulty in studying and in even completing a test on time due to depression, getting a C- could be an absolutely crushing blow.

Especially if people have been telling the student their whole life that they're so smart and they're definitely going to grow up to be successful.

(Parents: do not do this.)

Also I've been noticing a lot lately when people use "depressing" to mean "sad". I don't know if I have a problem with it, just...

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Especially if people have been telling the student their whole life that they're so smart and they're definitely going to grow up to be successful.

Makes me think of this blog by Zinnia Jones, where this part applies to me too:

As a kid, my identity was defined by one word: “smart”.
That’s what the adults decided I was from an early age, and this was the lens through which they and the other kids always viewed me. It was solidified and made especially visible as the centerpiece of my identity when I was placed in classes two grades ahead. This effectively made being “smart” the most important thing about me, the first thing anyone would notice, and an unavoidable topic of conversation. My life was defined almost exclusively by academic obligations that I was expected to meet simply because I was able. The questions of who I was, what I wanted to do, or who I wanted to be never seemed relevant. The idea that this was up to me rarely even entered my mind. That was for other people to decide, as always.
Looking back, it’s easy to see why the situation deteriorated so badly when it turned out I wasn’t that smart after all. Everyone’s expectations had been crushed, and I felt utterly lost. I had never developed a sense of myself beyond someone whose job it was to do schoolwork, and after I dropped out of school at 14, I ended up spending years doing nothing simply because I had no idea what to do with myself. It took me that long just to get to a point where I could envision myself as someone who could have a genuine identity, let alone define it for myself.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 am UTC

I love golf! Great game. U.S. Open next year. Love to go to the Masters! Tough to get tickets, darn near impossible. Rockin away on the front porch listening to Ray. I hear they have a nice aquarium too. En DC, everyone has tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSF6hh2QlCg
Last edited by The Cat on Fri May 10, 2013 1:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri May 10, 2013 1:38 am UTC

China Daily - China is the 'Good Samaritan' to Africa
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkedition/ ... 464877.htm

"The fact that China has been so helpful to Africa stands in stark contrast to the leading Western countries, which have mostly shunned its needs, although until the 1950s and 60s most African countries were still Western colonies."

Had enough of 'journalistic integrity', a 'free press' and all that other rubbish?
Then what you need, friend, is a little China Daily in your life! :D

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 am UTC

I was mostly struck by how different her struggle with depression was from mine. I get the numbness, but there is soooooooo much sadness.

And when people say depressed when they mean sad, I get angry. It just makes it harder for people to understand and makes me even less motivated to talk about it, if that's possible.
Last edited by UniqueScreenname on Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 am UTC

U.S did a great deal in Africa under the Bush administration. That is a fact. (voted Obama twice) Fighting for resources will continue indefinitely. Unfortunate reality.
_____

Modernize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmvf3b6GvEA

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 am UTC

lynx wrote:China Daily - China is the 'Good Samaritan' to Africa
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkedition/ ... 464877.htm

"The fact that China has been so helpful to Africa stands in stark contrast to the leading Western countries, which have mostly shunned its needs, although until the 1950s and 60s most African countries were still Western colonies."

Had enough of 'journalistic integrity', a 'free press' and all that other rubbish?
Then what you need, friend, is a little China Daily in your life! :D

Yeah, I think they are definitely skewing things, though it wouldn't surprise me if China actually does give quite a lot of aid to Africa - they are doing a lot in the Caribbean (as is Taiwan) as well. It helps garner support for things that countries have votes for in the variation international things that countries vote on.

And now for something completely different:
This is a great way to deal with people who think that sexuality is a choice:
http://www.upworthy.com/watch-these-straight-people-answer-a-question-gay-people-have-been-asked-for-years-6?g=6
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Nice to see ya, Angua.
Last edited by The Cat on Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Hola Cat!!!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

How the islands treating you?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri May 10, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Currently the British isles are treating me well, with a rare spell of sunny weather. Why, just the other day I went to fly a kite!

How goes it with you?
GNU Terry Pratchett

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

just finished marine tech degree, moved out of old digs (thank god), and am playing golf with pops in an hr. heading west this summer. its been sometime since i've flown a kite. how was it? probably really fun! Cheers! i'm out the door.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 10, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Note:Wolve make Cats more focused on the task at hand. This requires more observation
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:just finished marine tech degree, moved out of old digs (thank god), and am playing golf with pops in an hr. heading west this summer. its been sometime since i've flown a kite. how was it? probably really fun! Cheers! i'm out the door.

It was a lot of fun, thanks! Will be going again sometime soon with someone who's never done it, which should be even more fun!

Have a great day.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Re: Human settlement on mars? what do you think?

Postby Adacore » Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Angua wrote:And now for something completely different:
This is a great way to deal with people who think that sexuality is a choice:
http://www.upworthy.com/watch-these-straight-people-answer-a-question-gay-people-have-been-asked-for-years-6?g=6

I like that they left all (or at least a complete range) of the answers in, rather than just editing it to keep the most moronic answers, of which there weren't very many. Mostly the people they asked seemed pretty reasonable. It does make you wonder just how many people had to be interviewed to create the viral 'X group of people are idiots' type videos you see from time to time.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat May 11, 2013 11:40 am UTC

I'm buying a field bed (like in this image) as a guest bed, largely because they fold into much smaller space when not in use than the regular guest bed thingies. A web store that has a lot of military surplus stuff, has used US army beds (70 €), and very similar new ones (100 €). I can't decide if I should go with the cheaper option or play it safe and get a new one.

Edit: Decided to get the cheaper one.

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 11, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

http://open.salon.com/blog/kactz/2012/0 ... _silverton

A Rant turned into a Question.
The last panel of the Four Freedoms is written text.
It asks, "What is The Status of The Four Freedoms Today?"

Freedom from Fear (?)

Freedom form Want (?)

Freedom of Speech (?)

Freedom of Religion (?)

oh. You need a guest bed? Lucky you.
Freedom of Speech seems to be Doing the very best.

Everyone is talking. No one can be heard over the Amplified Noise and The Other Noise!
The World is Loud! It always Has Been.

Water Falls and Waves and Wind and Thunder are Loud!
Engenes are Loud. Power Tools are Loud.
Those weird little cars that go Thumping-Thumping are Loud.

People Sometimes need to Yell to be heard over all the Noise.
How can People Think with all the Noise?

Quiet is a Luxury? Always has been?
(huh?) No body tells me anything.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat May 11, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

They've been doing work on the building I work in, and part of it seems to involve taking hammer drills to the concrete making up the floor below me. I don't particularly hate construction noises - they've been working on this building long enough to grow used to it - but it's an insidious, reverberating buzzing that absolutely drives me nuts, possibly because it isn't so much a noise itself as a raising as the noise floor.

So, yes. Quiet is a luxury.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:I think Metro 2033 is the newest game that would be a FPS that I've purchased. And that was released in 2010.

I hope you are looking forward to it's sequel?

Not anymore

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 11, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:And when people say depressed when they mean sad, I get angry. It just makes it harder for people to understand and makes me even less motivated to talk about it, if that's possible.

I think it's kind of complicated because there's the mood called Depression and the disorder called Depression. Some sad things really are depressing, like having people close to you die suddenly, and it's normal to feel hopeless and unmotivated for a few days. But it can be hard for people to understand the life-ruining kind.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 am UTC

And if they were talking about something serious, I'd be fine with that. It's hard to explain, because for people with depression any situation can be a trigger. It's like the difference between fresh food and frozen food. Why it tastes different is hard to explain, but noticeable.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 am UTC

If you've ever read a Dan Brown novel and were blown away by the fantastically ridiculous imagery, this article is for you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10049454/Dont-make-fun-of-renowned-Dan-Brown.html

It's hilarious.
GNU Terry Pratchett

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 12, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Writing sorting functions while drunk isn't easy, but by George I did it.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun May 12, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Angua wrote:If you've ever read a Dan Brown novel and were blown away by the fantastically ridiculous imagery, this article is for you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/10049454/Dont-make-fun-of-renowned-Dan-Brown.html

It's hilarious.

Adacore

Re: Edited Title 3

Postby Adacore » Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:And when people say depressed when they mean sad, I get angry. It just makes it harder for people to understand and makes me even less motivated to talk about it, if that's possible.

I think it's kind of complicated because there's the mood called Depression and the disorder called Depression. Some sad things really are depressing, like having people close to you die suddenly, and it's normal to feel hopeless and unmotivated for a few days. But it can be hard for people to understand the life-ruining kind.

There's also the problem that because the stimuli that tend to provoke feelings of sadness are similar to those that provoke feelings of depression, it's very easy for people to get the definitions blurred. I know for a long time I personally would've used 'depressed' as much more of a synonym for 'sad' than it really should be, before I realised what depression actually was.
Last edited by Adacore on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Adacore wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

There's also the problem that because the stimuli that tend to provoke feelings of sadness are similar to those that provoke feelings of depression, it's very easy for people to get the definitions blurred. I know for a long time I personally would've used 'depressed' as much more of a synonym for 'sad' than it really should be, before I realised what depression actually was.

This post had objectionable content.

Removed discussion of Dear SB thread. -lanicita
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Doctor Who wants to be a millionaire?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

No he doesn't.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 12, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

I'm less than a year away from being 10,000 days old.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

With a 3D printer, I could make skulls for the skull throne, by where will I get the blood for the blood god?
Last edited by The Scyphozoa on Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

3D print a blood bank, and then take some of the inventory for your throne.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon May 13, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

It's strange, thinking back to how many people called the White Stripes / Jack White a musical genius and a legend in his own time, when I listen to those albums and all I can think is "Wow, you're just shamelessly ripping off Big Sugar, aren't you?"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Pfft. Like Canadians count.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Hey, I count all the time. One, two, many, lots.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Hey, I count all the time. One, two, many, lots.

Whoa, whoa, slow down, I've only got so many fingers...

Return to “General”