Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Scyphozoa

Re: unwashed dishes and toilet paper tubes

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun May 19, 2013 5:46 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Even the thoughts I'm not actively controlling are laced* with sarcasm.

*By which I mean marinated and deep fried in sarcasm.

So...your parents didn't love you as much as they loved your siblings? Is that why it's sarcastic?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

Yes. That's the sarcasm.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
grumpy cat lottery.jpg

:D

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun May 19, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

I'm listening to men without hats and eating curry.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

cplns

Postby cplns » Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

I have a date.
I have
a date.
WHAT.
WHAT.
WHAT.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun May 19, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

guys

my friend Catherine won't eat alone

I have to be in the room

it's quite insistant about it

how do I make it independant

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon May 20, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Wow, that's a nicely-framed post if I've ever seen one.
Spoiler:

(Spoiler for unintentionally huge phone screenshot.)
Signature looks like a nice continuation of the poster's bewilderment.
Avatar looks like the kind of delusion you might expect one who has never had a date to envision. I mean, if those are supposed to be humans.

8.5/10, would have been better if the username was also related, but you can't have everything.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Rium

Postby Rium » Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 am UTC

Random question: How long until you can expect to see results from nutritional changes? I’m looking into the effect of eating certain kinds of food, like soy, on my energy levels, and I don’t know if doing one week without soy is enough to judge whether it helps or not.

(cplns: Congrats! You remind me of myself a month ago.)

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 am UTC

I've sometimes heard a week recommended and sometimes a month.

I haven't really researched the issue, though. So you shouldn't trust me.

cplns

Postby cplns » Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Wow, that's a nicely-framed post if I've ever seen one.
Spoiler:

(Spoiler for unintentionally huge phone screenshot.)
Signature looks like a nice continuation of the poster's bewilderment.
Avatar looks like the kind of delusion you might expect one who has never had a date to envision. I mean, if those are supposed to be humans.

8.5/10, would have been better if the username was also related, but you can't have everything.

I tried for you. Really, I did.

Also, it went well, which I'm glad for, because otherwise I'd have to lock myself in my room, hide under my bed and never talk to human beings again. Perfectly rational and all that.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon May 20, 2013 10:03 am UTC

cplns wrote:I have a date.
I have
a date.
WHAT.
WHAT.
WHAT.

Chillax, it's just some dried fruit.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 am UTC

I just tried to upvote Zarq :(

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

I did everything i ever planed in my life (haven't planed a lot), so now i have no goal in life any more...
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Marvin wrote:I did everything i ever planed in my life (haven't planed a lot), so now i have no goal in life any more...

Since you're done with planing, have you considered helicoptering?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Marvin wrote:I did everything i ever planed in my life (haven't planed a lot), so now i have no goal in life any more...

Since you're done with planing, have you considered helicoptering?

I was thinking more in direction of planes, but yes, i have considered it. But i don't see that as feasible in forseable future, so that can't be goal for now, only a dream, and those are a dime a dozen.
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

And as of a few minutes ago, I am done with anything in school I need to put any effort into. All that's left to do is stay here for 5 more hours today and show up 10 more times.

cplns

Postby cplns » Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Chillax, it's just some dried fruit.

10/10
Although oddly, I've never had a date.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue May 21, 2013 2:49 am UTC

They're delicious.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 am UTC

A coworker received some prepackaged dates from a friend in Saudi Arabia for her birthday last week. She brought them in, and I tried one. I didn't much care for them. They were coated in I'm guessing honey or some kind of syrup, and some had sesame seeds on them. I don't know if it's just that how long it took to ship them here, and being in transport for so long, but they tasted dry, stale, and just not all too pleasant.

Of course, whenever I hear of someone eating dates, I'm reminded of two movie scenes: First, in "Raider of the Lost Ark", as Indy is about to eat one of the dates, Sallah catches it, points to the dead Nazi monkey, and says, "Bad dates." Second, in Mel Brooks' "Robin Hood: Men In Tights", the Sheriff of Rottingham offers Maid Marian a date from a platter, and when she accepts, he asks, "How about next Thursday?"
PRG

An important message for you:

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

I swear my body was trolling me last night.

Around midnight, my body's all "You're really tired. Go to bed." So I go to bed. Then it's all "trolololol, you can't actually sleep at all. You just get to lie in bed and periodically shift your position."

Then around 3 AM, my body says "You need to defecate." So I go to the toilet. So my body says "trolololol, you can't really defecate. You can just fart once and that's it."

Then around 6 AM, my body says "You have a raging erection." So I say "I may be tumescent, but I really don't feel horny. I'll wait for it to go away." My body: "Nope. It's not going away any time soon." So I say "Fine. I'll masturbate." I get some lube and get to it. My body says "trolololol, you don't get an orgasm. You just lose your erection halfway through."

Frustrating night.

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

I feel bad that I didn't remembered what a date was last night but instantly recalled it this morning, and first(and last time) I had a date it was so minty I nearly gagged(the fruit).
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 am UTC

I have an irrational fear of making phone calls. It's such an awkward phobia.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 22, 2013 6:21 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:I have an irrational fear of making phone calls. It's such an awkward phobia.

I know them feels. I'm much more comfortable sending an email or text or just talking to them in person. But for some reason, I hate making phone calls, and will go to quite a lot of trouble to avoid making them.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed May 22, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

I tend to have to psych myself up before making a lot of phone calls.

Having a job where I have to interact with customers over the phone pretty regularly has nearly gotten me over that.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

I hate deciding to order takeaway as a group, because it's always me who makes the phone call.

I don't dislike phone calls, which is the reason everyone gets me to do it.

The way I learned to not dislike phone calls was by doing them a lot. Ordering food is literally a zero-pressure situation - if something goes wrong and you want to bail, hang up, no repercussions.
I've explained this to those who want to order food whilst wanting me to make the order. They don't care.

I hate deciding to order takeaway as a group.

cplns

Postby cplns » Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

I didn't use the phone for something like 9 years unless it was to call immediate family - anything else was too terrifying and threw me into an instant panic attack. Now I'll make calls that are necessary (doctors, mostly) if I absolutely have to, but I still have to psych myself up for a few days beforehand, and most of the time I will still choose to take a trip across the city to talk to someone before I choose to pick up the phone.

Social anxiety is a bitch.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

I guess I don't really have that much anxiety over phone calls, though I would much rather do ANYTHING over the internet instead of the phone if that's an option.

However, I don't like leaving voicemail. How the fuck -- no seriously, how in the FUCK do you end those things? Do you say "bye"? You were never actually talking to each other in the first place!

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

I normally end voicemails with "Thank you" if I've asked them to do something (undertake a task or call me back) or "see you later" (if I'm calling someone to make plans - more informal).

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Yay!, I'm not totally insane.

The Scyphozoa wrote:However, I don't like leaving voicemail. How the fuck -- no seriously, how in the FUCK do you end those things? Do you say "bye"? You were never actually talking to each other in the first place!
This is the worst, I have everything written down that I'm prepared to say for when they answer and then the machine says "sorry the person you are trying to reach..." and I awkwardly fumble through the message and then I say "call me back" and I forget to include my phone number -because I don't have it written down- right after I hit end call and then I call back and leave a second message to include the number and feel even more awkward.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed May 22, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Sometimes when I call someone (especially a customer) and get voicemail I hang up and think about what I'll want to say. Then I'll wait a bit and call back and hope they answer. If not, I have something ready to say for voicemail.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Wed May 22, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

I sort of prefer leaving voice mail messages to actually talking to someone a lot of the time. Well, if it's something urgent ("I'm waiting at our meeting place. Where are you?") or I need in-depth information, I'd prefer a conversation, but if I'm just conveying info or asking one question, I'd usually rather get voicemail/message machine.

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

If I have to make a phone call to someone I don't really know, I usually write down what I need to say. Or at least say it out loud once. I guess that's sort of weird.
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 22, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

quetzal1234 wrote:If I have to make a phone call to someone I don't really know, I usually write down what I need to say. Or at least say it out loud once. I guess that's sort of weird.

I used to do this when I was cold-calling people and lying about my identity.

I miss aspects of that job.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

I'm fine with leaving voicemail, even if it's a bit awkward sometimes. Receiving voicemail, answering phones... getting better, but still learning... and decidedly not my favorite activity. (Office phones and transferring and... fun times...)

(and i'm with roband, either "thanks" or "see you later/have a good day/bye". there aren't many situations that one of those won't cover, and no one is going to think "what did they mean, bye?? they weren't even here!!" just like it doesn't literally mean "god be with you" every time you say it, it's just social shorthand for "i'm ending our interaction now". even if that speech was one-sided, it's okay. they'll be there and listening it when they play it back, even if they weren't when you said it.)

(also, it's more to prepare for, but if there's a significant chance you're going to get someone's voicemail, try to prepare for both? that's what i do, and it's not too different of a script. try to memorize a bit of a spiel-- "hey! this is x, i was just calling about y. my number is z. call me back/thanks/see you later/otter/duck!" if you say it often enough, you can kind of get into the rhythm. if you can write it down somewhere near your phone, that's a thing that can help.)

Adacore

Re: Length of undergraduate degrees - confused!

Postby Adacore » Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

I don't particularly enjoy calling people, but leaving messages that request/invite a non-immediate response (either voicemail, email, or some other kind of text chat/message service) gives me real anxiety issues. If it's something I care about at all, I'm just on edge constantly until I receive the response, jumping every time my phone buzzes.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed May 22, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

"Hi this is Adam, just wondering if we're still on for tomorrow. We said 3, right? Yeah that sounds right. Maybe I should check my email. Whatever, give me a call back. Or not, and I'll just see you at 3. Wait, actually, call me back no matter what. I had something else I need to ask you. Ummm... I forget what it is. So yeah 3 oclock tomorrow. Sounds good. See you then. Wait no, you're going to call me back. OK then. Oh yeah I remember what I was going to say, but I don't need to know right now. I'll just ask you tomorrow. Haha that's kind of mean, now you're going to wonder what I'm going to ask! I guess I'll just ask now: I was going to see if you wanted to do this thing next week with my wife and I. So call me back and let me know. Wait you can just tell me tomorrow. AH but if we're not meeting at 3 then call me. OK talk to you tomorrow. Or sooner. Bye I guess."
-Adam

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

:D

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:then I say "call me back" and I forget to include my phone number -because I don't have it written down- right after I hit end call and then I call back and leave a second message to include the number and feel even more awkward.
This was me the other day:
Hi, this SurgicalSteel, I'm returning your call. If you could call me back when you get a chance, I'm at 123-456- ... uhh ... ... 1234.

*a minute later*
Hi, this is SurgicalSteel again. I gave you the wrong number before, it's 123-456-7891.

So, yea. I know the feel.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

I've noticed something really weird.

I've had reccurring suicidal thoughts for a number of years. What's strange, though, is that every time they really peak, they coincide with dizziness (makes sense) and altered depth perception. Everything feels really close - especially as I close my eyes; then, everything feels a few centimeters distant. Maybe it's a hallucination from feeling "trapped"? I don't have claustrophobia or anything, so this is weird but curious weird not disturbing weird. Everything also feels sort of two dimensional, like the walls and the ceiling are the same and objects are blended together in one indifferent ovoid surrounding me.

I can't find much literature on the subject, but I'd like to know more, if anyone has knowledge pertaining to this matter.

cplns

Postby cplns » Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I've noticed something really weird.

I've had reccurring suicidal thoughts for a number of years. What's strange, though, is that every time they really peak, they coincide with dizziness (makes sense) and altered depth perception. Everything feels really close - especially as I close my eyes; then, everything feels a few centimeters distant. Maybe it's a hallucination from feeling "trapped"? I don't have claustrophobia or anything, so this is weird but curious weird not disturbing weird. Everything also feels sort of two dimensional, like the walls and the ceiling are the same and objects are blended together in one indifferent ovoid surrounding me.

I can't find much literature on the subject, but I'd like to know more, if anyone has knowledge pertaining to this matter.

Obligatory-internet-I'm-not-a-doctor-warning here, but that sounds a bit like derealization to me. I've experienced both that and depersonalization as part of my anxiety and panic attacks, which comes hand-in-hand with my depression and suicidal thoughts. So maybe?

Return to “General”