Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wednesday

Re: unhatched fishes and turtle excluding devices

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 am UTC

)
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Story time!

About 8 miles south of downtown Boston, there's a commuter station called Hyde Park. Minor station, sees about 8 trains during rush hour and some others sprinkled through the day, but gets decent ridership.

It's located on a triple-track section of the Northeast Corridor - the single high-speed line in the US. To the south is miles of open track, but just north of the station, there's a blind curve. Because commuter trains share the tracks, trains can appear at any time on any track, even opposite the usual right-hand running. The Acela Express is cleared to run up to 120 mph (190 kph) through the station, meaning it can appear around the curve and be at the station just seconds later.

A fence is up between two of the tracks, but some still hop it to avoid a lengthy walk between platforms, despite the dangers. So the rail agency has found alternative solutions to keep trespassers from hopping it.

And that, dear fora, is how you end up with this sign.

sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Adacore

Re: Edited Title 4

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:23 am UTC

The EGE wrote:A fence is up between two of the tracks, but some still hop it to avoid a lengthy walk between platforms, despite the dangers. So the rail agency has found alternative solutions to keep trespassers from hopping it.

There are people that do that? Is it a common thing in the US? Because I don't think you'd ever see it in the UK (or Korea). There wouldn't even be a fence, because nobody would be stupid enough to try to cross the tracks without one; with a fence there, it's just insane.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

This guy showed up in gmail today

At first I thought it was a condom, which really confused me. Then I realized it was a bell.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:A fence is up between two of the tracks, but some still hop it to avoid a lengthy walk between platforms, despite the dangers. So the rail agency has found alternative solutions to keep trespassers from hopping it.

Ha, yes. I grew up in Sharon, a few stops south of there with a similar issue. There it is just the normal 2 tracks, but it does have that short, 3-foot fence between to prevent people crossing the tracks. A lot of other commuter rail stops have to fence, allow you to cross the tracks, and even have intended crossings (these trains do not use an electrified rail). But our line also carried the Amtrak regional train which does not stop in my town, so I guess they didn't want people crossing. Still, I remember people used to hop the fence all the time. When I was in HS and Amtrak got the even faster Accela, they got serious and greased the fence. You can't really see it in The EGE's picture but I remember a noticeable thick layer of dark grease along the top bar. I always thought it was a ridiculous (if slightly clever) solution compared to just building a taller fence.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:This guy showed up in gmail today

At first I thought it was a condom, which really confused me. Then I realized it was a bell.

Yeah, a condom for a very short penis with a single microtesticle and a bit of an air bubble problem.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:This guy showed up in gmail today

Yeah, a condom for a very short penis with a single microtesticle and a bit of an air bubble problem.

A rolled up one. Like this.
Spoiler:
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

No, you're clearly mistaken. The dot at the bottom is obviously a tiny testicle.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

So, we meet again, 30-Hour Work Day.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:So, we meet again, 30-Hour Work Day.

You too? That two-timing son of a bitch.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Jplus

Re: Edited Title 4

Postby Jplus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Adacore wrote:

There are people that do that? Is it a common thing in the US? Because I don't think you'd ever see it in the UK (or Korea). There wouldn't even be a fence, because nobody would be stupid enough to try to cross the tracks without one; with a fence there, it's just insane.

This isn't entirely true. Otherwise, this commercial wouldn't have been made by Britons.

Edit: it hadn't.
Last edited by Jplus on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 am UTC

That is very catchy! Also Australian, just for the record...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:12 am UTC

Cassi wrote:That is very catchy! Also Australian, just for the record...

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I thought there was an accent... ;)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 am UTC

Which isn't to say that there's not a problem here -- there was this quite recently, which is pretty monumentally stupid behaviour...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

So...people sometimes use the term "trans*" to refer to a wide range of sexual identities.
Is it bad that, because it looks like "trans-asterisk", I like to pronounce it "trans-ass" in my head?

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So...people sometimes use the term "trans*" to refer to a wide range of sexual identities.
Is it bad that, because it looks like "trans-asterisk", I like to pronounce it "trans-ass" in my head?

Try "trans star" instead. You may find it more suitable.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:33 am UTC

I just pronounce it "trans". I can't really think of a context where it would make sense for "trans" to exclude any of the identities covered by "trans*", the latter is just more explicit with its inclusivity so I don't think much is lost by pronouncing them the same.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So...people sometimes use the term "trans*" to refer to a wide range of sexual identities.

I automatically replaced the * in my head with words that fit the context and your post didn't make sense to me at first. :oops: am I turning into a computer?
But pronouncing it trans would make sense.

Link

Postby Link » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am UTC

teenidle wrote:I automatically replaced the * in my head with words that fit the context and your post didn't make sense to me at first. :oops: am I turning into a computer?

If you were turning into a computer, you'd probably interpret it as 'tran' followed by zero or more instances of the letter s. ;)

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am UTC

Eseell wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:So, we meet again, 30-Hour Work Day.

You too? That two-timing son of a bitch.

I'm rocking 81 hour shifts once a month at the moment...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

I've been smelling shampoo all day, and it feels like someone who has recently shampooed their hair is following me. For the record, I have not recently shampooed my hair.

Two pigeons have been fighting in the same spot since 10 o'clock this morning. I'm sure it's not some sort of mating ritual, as they are really going at it hammer and tongs. I've put money on the one with the hammer. Four times now I've opened the window and physically said "break it up, you two", but they keep coming back.

If I ever get beaten up, I sort of want to be beaten up by Nath. I have a solid notion that not only will I be beaten up efficiently, I will also learn much about the science of beating people up, and can avoid the pitfalls in hypothetical future, non-Nath confrontations.

I accidentally spent money on a microtransactional free-to-play game, and I feel wicked cheated, as there was a non-monetary way around it. I don't trust the publisher enough to give them my money, and now I'm guilty of doing so.

Oh! It's my deodorant that smells of shampoo. It's a Vaseline-branded roll-on. Yeesh, it really smells like shampoo. I smell like fresh hair, which isn't as great as you'd initially think. It's a bit like smelling of fresh bread.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Vaseline makes deodorant?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Oops, my mistake. Vageline.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

I'm beginning to think this isn't deodorant after all.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I'm beginning to think this isn't deodorant after all.

Mmm.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

When I see the asterisk in "trans*" my first reaction is to look for a footnote :oops:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Huh. Google image search is actually pretty useful.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:02 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Huh. Google image search is actually pretty useful.

You think that's good, try reverse image search. That blows my mind sometimes.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:02 am UTC

I'm putting some Gayelord bars in my mouth. It doesn't taste very good.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

i want me some damn sushi.

why must 6 o clock not come faster.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

I've been thinking about my life, and lamenting this lonely miserable existence. I wake up in the morning, I go to work, do some work, come home, browse internets, go to sleep. There's nobody here. I'm alone. It's a bleak and empty existence and I wonder how I got here.

And then I realise something. This is what I wanted. This is what I've been aiming for my entire life. I've been so annoyed with the various people I live with; either they're too neat and tidy and they nag me to clean up my shit, or they're huge slobs and I have to nag them to clean up their shit. Other people's schedules clashed with my own. Other people would do annoying shit that distracted me from whatever I was trying to concentrate on. I would always have to explain myself to someone whenever I did something different to my usual routine. Being with people annoyed me so much that I wished for one thing: to be alone. Well, I got what I wished for.

Fuck.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

you mean living alone at some point in my life probably won't solve all of my problems either?
Fuck, indeed.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I've been thinking about my life, and lamenting this lonely miserable existence. I wake up in the morning, I go to work, do some work, come home, browse internets, go to sleep. There's nobody here. I'm alone. It's a bleak and empty existence and I wonder how I got here.

And then I realise something. This is what I wanted. This is what I've been aiming for my entire life. I've been so annoyed with the various people I live with; either they're too neat and tidy and they nag me to clean up my shit, or they're huge slobs and I have to nag them to clean up their shit. Other people's schedules clashed with my own. Other people would do annoying shit that distracted me from whatever I was trying to concentrate on. I would always have to explain myself to someone whenever I did something different to my usual routine. Being with people annoyed me so much that I wished for one thing: to be alone. Well, I got what I wished for.

Fuck.

i wished for pretty much the same thing, and decided to change it.

you don't have to have people live with you all the time, i know i wouldnt like having people around me full stream all day all the time, needs to be in limited doses.

call up a few friends, see if they wanna crash at your place for a few days

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Ah yes, friends. I remember those.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

no man is an island.

gotta be someone who you still have contact info for that you can pester.

Whizzkid1024

Postby Whizzkid1024 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:34 am UTC

bought my first pair of dancing shoes today, they seem to change my floor into a quasi-frictionless surface :D

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

What kind of dancing shoes? Resin powder is pretty popular for keeping satin, suedes and leathers from sliding around too much.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Yesterday at the train station I saw a pigeon with only, like, 2 toes on one of its feet. I just wanted to throw something at it so it'd go away and I wouldn't have to look at it anymore. I was angry. I had my own problems. I didn't need a pigeon with missing toes. Ugh.
Also, in the past month I saw a dead cat, a dead bird and a (probably) dead dog lying on the sidewalk.
how often do you people see dead animals? :?

Return to “General”