Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Username4242
Location: (Previously) Montana State University--Bozeman, Montana.

Re: unhatched fishes and turtle excluding devices

Postby Username4242 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:The dumpster has its own shed, and we found out why... it was basically as close to punching someone in the face a smell can get. Like, everybody moved their head back instinctively. A shed's worth of sewage detritus dumpster gas. Yum.[/spoiler]

Last summer (2012), I worked on a project that used a combination of fermented cow blood and fish guts to attract bears into a wired corral site designed to snag their hair for genetic studies. Needless to say, bottling the bait was an adventure. One of our crew members smelled so awful after a bottling session that he was kicked out of a gas station the moment he entered it by the person behind the counter. We also had a media person nearly vomit / pass out when she took her first step into the shed.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dnd is so fun!

like i knew it would probably be a good distraction considering current events.

but. OH. MY. GOD.

i laughed so hard during parts of it, the entire thing was a riot. made a new friend too.

i am officially hooked. love this game.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

It's only fun when you get to attack the darkness.

I got to witness that. The absolute joy on the guy's face as he said "I've wanted to so this for years - I attack the darkness" And it made perfect, logical sense in context!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Rotten fish/guts is the worst thing I've ever smelled. The bear chum sounds really nasty.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Putrefaction odours can be pretty bad, but there are worse ones. An old "favourite" is butyric acid, which smells like essence of vomit; unsurprisingly, it's often found as a component of putrefying flesh.

Chemist Derek Lowe has written some great articles on organic chemicals that smell horrible. We have a thread dedicated to him over on the Science forum. Here's an excerpt of a post I made in that thread a year ago in reference to Derek's article (and reader's comments) on selenophenol.
selenophenol [...] The chemical literature has numerous examples of people who are at a loss for words when it comes to describing its smell, but their attempts are eloquent all the same. A few years ago, Gaussling at the Lamentations on Chemistry blog referred to it as "The biggest stinker I have run across. . .Imagine 6 skunks wrapped in rubber innertubes and the whole thing is set ablaze. That might approach the metaphysical stench of this material."

[...]

Linus Pauling: Now, Matt, hydrogen telluride smells as much worse than hydrogen selenide as hydrogen selenide does compared to hydrogen sulfide. [hydrogen sulfide is commonly known as rotten egg gas]

[...]

Great Fieser's Ghost! I would not describe the effect of selenophenol on the human body as a smell but as a state of mind. It is a hypnotic effluvia which beams its essence straight to the area postrema. It should be packaged as a gold standard, triple-your-money-back, Jenny-Craig-bankrupting weight loss device.

That said, PhSeNa and PhSeCl are such darn good reagents that I put up with a little violent bilious retching now and again.

[...]

Indeed, PhSeH has nothing on Benzyl mercaptan. In grad school we referred to the latter as fermented-cajun-skunk-turd-on-fire.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:05 am UTC

Mercaptans in general are utterly horrific. It's definitely a rotten fish smell to me.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:28 am UTC

What is it with this thread lately? First there's maggots and crap, now rotten fish?

This is even worse than the great ass-storm of page 1556. Took like 11 pages before that crap weathered.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

And now I've read the whole ass-storm and laughed my, well, ass off. On a related note, my boyfriend and I have spent the past month replacing song lyrics and other quotes with the words "fuck a horse" or anything implying a man/horse relationship.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

My motivation is watching some hillbilly from Kentucky, and congress in general. I find the similarities disturbing. However, in this case, the maggots aren't even waiting for it to die. They're killing it! President hasn't lost his honesty cred, and congress looks like maggots feeding on big money and the American people. I suppose dead bodies are in the best interest of maggots, more food for their foul offspring. Fuck congress! Demand, indeed. That's their job! Meet demand with supply. Serve the people. When the lies stink so bad, no amount of air freshener can cover it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNsEK_IIs9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9puHtVcU5o

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's only fun when you get to attack the darkness.

I got to witness that. The absolute joy on the guy's face as he said "I've wanted to so this for years - I attack the darkness" And it made perfect, logical sense in context!

I can beat that. Earlier in one of the campaigns I'm playing I got to cast magic missile at the darkness.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 am UTC

I'm meant to be hosting an English Club (a discussion group for Koreans to practice their English) this weekend, so I need to put together some resources for it now-ish. Our discussion topic for this month is generational differences, and it would be good to have some media - ideally short videos with subtitles - related to generation gaps, differences in cultural perception between generations, that kind of thing. Anyone have any ideas?

For reference, last month the topic was Nostalgia, and the facilitator used clips from Mad Men and Midnight in Paris, plus a written interview with a psychologist as jumping-off points for the discussion.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:52 am UTC

Found some partially related comics.

Suggests playing older music and recent music together. Leaves recommendations to more music-savvy individuals. Might help to play songs familiar to them.

Liked segments of this video. Lacked decent subtitles, though. Found better ones here.

Votes for Pokémon also, depending on student age.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am UTC

I should start a blog on horrible Dutch subtitles I've seen. One I saw yesterday:

Guy in chopper says "It's like a warzone down here.". Dutch subtitle says "Dit is oorlog", which means "This is war". Why? Where do they get these people? And it was the only line in 15 seconds, so it wasn't a pacing thing.

Then again, English subtitles have their problems too. I don't exactly pride myself on hearing comprehension and I've caught quite a few mistakes. The actor acknowledges he mispronounced it as "bunk red" like 5 seconds later, and you still subtitle the original as "bunk bed"?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 am UTC

If we're talking about generational gap, there's the new trend how 90's-00's is the new Nostalgia Era, and it feels weird, how back then we were the ones treated as "the generation of handheld vidya gaems, the hunchbacks and pokemon catchers" and now we treat the new generation as "the generation of iPhone and iPad".

In general, nostalgic ones are Sony games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro or probably FF series but I don't really know since we're not rich enough for a PS. And of course the cartoons in the 90s like powerpuff. Now compare that to Phineas & Ferb. But I'm lost at games. Counterstrike 1.6 is still popular here, so I don't think anyone would have nostalgia about it, or at least at our culture(PH) since we never had the best PCs to run the new games.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dnd is so fun!

but. OH. MY. GOD.

i laughed so hard during parts of it, the entire thing was a riot. made a new friend too.

Happy dance!

Our game last night, the first real dungeon crawl I've done in over a decade, was a blast.

Our dwarf paladin is afraid of the dark, our kobold sorcerer is afraid of heights, and our half-elf rogue hates our adopted NPC and keeps trying to hurt him. So naturally, there were dark things (darkmantles), collapsing floors, traps, and lots of carrion crawlers. Our fighter managed to hook the NPCs leg with a grappling hook, and almost drag him over the edge of a pit. The scythe trap bounced off the paladin's armor (which gave the rogue and sorcerer a few minutes of hilarious critique - "Who the hell makes such a crappy trap?" "Yeah, they suck. I'd have done..."). Carrion crawler tentacles make a thwapity-thwapity-thwap noise as they flail all over. Good times were had by all.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's only fun when you get to attack the darkness.

Ha! had this happen last night too! Kobold sorcerer couldn't see the darkmantle on the fighter's head, so he targeted the darkness with his magic missile! (still missed, but it was wicked funny!)
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Found a Skyrim mod that adds Batman to the game.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dnd is so fun!

but. OH. MY. GOD.

Happy dance!

Our game last night, the first real dungeon crawl I've done in over a decade, was a blast.

Our dwarf paladin is afraid of the dark, our kobold sorcerer is afraid of heights, and our half-elf rogue hates our adopted NPC and keeps trying to hurt him. So naturally, there were dark things (darkmantles), collapsing floors, traps, and lots of carrion crawlers. Our fighter managed to hook the NPCs leg with a grappling hook, and almost drag him over the edge of a pit. The scythe trap bounced off the paladin's armor (which gave the rogue and sorcerer a few minutes of hilarious critique - "Who the hell makes such a crappy trap?" "Yeah, they suck. I'd have done..."). Carrion crawler tentacles make a thwapity-thwapity-thwap noise as they flail all over. Good times were had by all.

you can't beat our intrepid group attempting to get to the top of a flight of stairs that have folded in and can no longer be used n9ormally:

"so, how do we get up there?"

our goliath named sheva decides to use strength to throw our shardmind, bolo, up to the top.

its a REALLY high roll, so the DM says that the shardminds crystalline body got stuck to the wall. 50 feet in the air of course.

ok, time to get him down.

im a rogue with high acrobatics, skill, so i roll for a wall run. i roll a one. i fall on my butt.

another member of the party attempts to be thrown up there be sheva. sheva rolls a one, so of course that party member just got thrown at the bottom of the wall.

at this point half our party is on the ground dazed, one member is stuck to the wall, and the other is standing there confused. enter fifth party member, our sorcerer, who does an insight check:

"guys, you know you each have 100 feet of rope in your adventurer kit right?"

"uhhhh....oh"

also our sorcer had a falcon and also telkinetic ability, (up to five pounds) and was so able to throw the switch at the top of the stairs to let our party pass.

edit: yes, we got bolo down. we threw up a rope and sheva pulled on it.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

It's gonna be a great winter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmvf3b6GvEA

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Pfft, let's make the most of Autumn. I love that whole album.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

I played Ikea Furniture or Death Metal Band, and despite knowing Swedish, I got 3 wrong D:

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Knowing Swedish is cheating.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I played Ikea Furniture or Death Metal Band, and despite knowing Swedish, I got 3 wrong D:

I got 14/20 without knowing any Swedish at all.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

I once did the first chapter of a Swedish textbook instead of going to classes. Didn't get to the chapter of death and furniture though so it didn't help me. I'm also really bad at natural languages.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

I got 13/20 without ever having studied any scandi languages. Once I started thinking along "what could this word mean" lines my hit rate improved dramatically though.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

8/20, but im fairly confident thats because of random chance.

holy schnozzberries, thats a hard language.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:40 am UTC

Ah, thse smell of turning the on the heat for a the first tm n moths
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Does anyone have a CD Key for Hellgate: London they're not using? I got the game for three bucks (woo!) with no manual or key (boo!)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:10 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I got 13/20 without ever having studied any scandi languages. Once I started thinking along "what could this word mean" lines my hit rate improved dramatically though.

I just tried pronouncing it in a stereotypical death metal growl.

cplns

Postby cplns » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:18 am UTC

12/20 without knowing a single, solitary thing about death metal or ever having seen an Ikea.

(That neon green deer thing. What?)

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:04 am UTC

cplns wrote:1211/20 without knowing a single, solitary thing about death metal or ever having seen an Ikea.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:25 am UTC

It really irks me that the website equates black metal with death metal. Death metal bands not from scandinavian countries generally don't have nordic-inspired names and generally don't subscribe to the paganist/nordic ideologies, mythologies and image.
she/her

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:25 am UTC

cplns wrote:12/20 without knowing a single, solitary thing about death metal or ever having seen an Ikea.

PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 am UTC

cplns wrote:12 13/20 without knowing a single, solitary thing about death metal or ever having seen an Ikea.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

NieXS wrote:It really irks me that the website equates black metal with death metal. Death metal bands not from scandinavian countries generally don't have nordic-inspired names and generally don't subscribe to the paganist/nordic ideologies, mythologies and image.
If you're going to have a multitude of such narrowly-defined subgenres, you pretty much have to deal with it when people get confused.

Sincerely, a classical music fan.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

cplns wrote:OVER 9000/20 without knowing a single, solitary thing about death metal or ever having seen an Ikea.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 am UTC

I got 18/20. I listen to a lot of metal, and own most of the ikea furniture mentioned. The drawer pull and the deer were what I missed.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:19 am UTC

2/20. This is how I'm going to survive my next trip to IKEA.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:52 am UTC

I'm deleting my facebook account. So there's that.
Omni.

Return to “General”