Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tomlidich the second

Re: Fluff

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Hey I remember you.

I remember you too! :D

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

Welcome back, Tom2.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:34 pm UTC

Welcome back, good to see you again :)

SurgicalSteel wrote:It probably has a lot to do with the nationalist hysteria that gripped the country for several years after (and still does to an extent). 9-11-2001 is supposed to be the USA's year zero. We were told that if you weren't completely destroyed by it, and don't view it as the most important event not only in the last twenty years, but in your lifetime, you hate America and must side with the terrorists. Our national myth is that we're the innocent victims of ongoing terrorist plots, and every policy change, new legislative act, and troop deployment is in self-defense. "Keep calm and carry on" wouldn't support that narrative.

The nationalist hysteria is the response I'm contrasting with the UK's reaction to 7/7. Once that's happened the rest follows pretty naturally.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Hey I remember you.

I remember you too! :D

I remember the both of you!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

I was not supposed to be alone this weekend, but my bf decided camping was more important than spending the last weekend with me before I go.

So I'm all alone in my new house (all the other house mates are away for whatever reason) and this is really not the best doctor who to be watching alone at night....
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:29 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I was not supposed to be alone this weekend, but my bf decided camping was more important than spending the last weekend with me before I go.

So I'm all alone in my new house (all the other house mates are away for whatever reason) and this is really not the best doctor who to be watching alone at night....

What Dr. Who was it?
Why didn't you go Camping?

it's daylight, now.
Are you ok?

I know, Camping is Hard.
And; It's sort of Stupid.

We struggled as Individuals and as a Species.
We have made great strids toward our own Godhood.

Getting dirty and tired and hurt and cold and hot and hungry and did I say tired....
....Maybe I do it Wrong.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

It's the latest doctor who, so no spoilers...

I didn't go camping because it was with the walking club which I'm not a part of and wouldn't be experienced enough to go with them anyway. There's a lot of walking around with heavy bags and that sort of stuff.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:02 pm UTC

There's always IRC, if you're really bored.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

I'm about to go to bed now that I've finished Dr Who.

Been trying to avoid IRC because revision :P :P

I can't wait until January is over.
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

Revision? January?!

Fuck.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

... you are a great deal more studious than I.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:36 am UTC

Sadly, there is a lot of stuff to learn between now and then.

Too many things can go wrong with the human body. And drugs sometimes have the most random names/side effects, they take a lot to remember.
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 am UTC

Angua wrote:Sadly, there is a lot of stuff to learn between now and then.

Too many things can go wrong with the human body. And drugs sometimes have the most random names/side effects, they take a lot to remember.

oh, you poor thing.
Pharmacology?

oh. It's hard.
If your faculty does it right it can become manageable.

You are not a Pharmacologist.
They have to Know drugs.

What are you, again?
Pharm is hard.

Pharm is something ya' 'gotta do'.
How much do you 'gott'a do'?

I was thinking about the PDR and it's companion book a day or two ago.
Do you use those?

It is So funny.
A person could walk in and hand us a pill or handful of pills.
With those two books we were expected to be find those pills and know what to do about those pills.

Of course, you learn to recognize the common ones the way you recognize a person's face.
There are some Uncommon ones. And; Some pretty ones....

You don't waste your time that way, do you?
A computer matches the size and shape of the pill.

Lucky you.
You get to spend your time on Patient Care.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:11 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I didn't go camping because it was with the walking club which I'm not a part of and wouldn't be experienced enough to go with them anyway. There's a lot of walking around with heavy bags and that sort of stuff.

I believe the term is backpacking.

and yes, it can be a tad rough on a beginner, i wouldn't recommend it until you are comfortable with that sort of thing.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

He's the one who said camping, not me. Maybe it's a UK vs US distinction.
GNU Terry Pratchett

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

To me camping would imply staying in a tent, whether it's in one location or several as you travel.
And backpacking would imply travelling between locations, whether you stay in hostels or tents.

I've done a bunch of both, but not been part of any backpacking or camping 'scenes', so there could be people with a better right to the terminology.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:To me camping would imply staying in a tent, whether it's in one location or several as you travel.
And backpacking would imply travelling between locations, whether you stay in hostels or tents.

I've done a bunch of both, but not been part of any backpacking or camping 'scenes', so there could be people with a better right to the terminology.

it pretty much refers to how you get the gear there, though there may be a country distinction.

backpacking- everything is carried on your back for quite some distance. lightweight equipment, dehydrated food, small tents. finding a campsite with a water source makes things easier.

car camping- camping off of a car, just unload the equipment right there. its easier.

RV- not camping. don't kid yourself.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:26 pm UTC

See, here backpacking definitely includes "backpacking across Europe" or "backpacking across Thailand" - staying in hostels and using public transport on a budget.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

I'm from the UK (like bigglesworth IIRC) and their distinction is exactly the one I'd make whilst I'm not familiar with yours Tomlidich. Pretty sure it's a BrE/AmE distinction then.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

*shrugs* still learning how this english thing works in the global community.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:To me camping would imply staying in a tent, whether it's in one location or several as you travel.

it pretty much refers to how you get the gear there, though there may be a country distinction.

backpacking- everything is carried on your back for quite some distance. lightweight equipment, dehydrated food, small tents. finding a campsite with a water source makes things easier.

car camping- camping off of a car, just unload the equipment right there. its easier.

RV- not camping. don't kid yourself.

...though I'd put Bear right above Glampers, it's otherwise fairly accurate.

Camping is the activity.

Backpacking is a subcategory of the activity, referencing that you're hauling gear on foot via a backpack from some point to the campsite.

Tourism Travel is the activity

Backpacking is a subcategory of the activity, referencing that you're hauling gear on foot via a backpack from some point to the next hostel, campsite, or whatever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Image

...though I'd put Bear right above Glampers, it's otherwise fairly accurate.

Heh.

SecondTalon wrote:Camping is the activity.

Backpacking is a subcategory of the activity, referencing that you're hauling gear on foot via a backpack from some point to the campsite.

Tourism Travel is the activity

Backpacking is a subcategory of the activity, referencing that you're hauling gear on foot via a backpack from some point to the next hostel, campsite, or whatever.

I like this definition. precision of language and all that. (yes, i saw the new movie, The Giver.)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Yeah, I can't disagree with anything ST said.

Well, I don't get the distinction between the types of tents one might carry in a car. There should be a distinction as to whether your car is travelling on roads or not. Though even then I've heard of some people turning things like Pinzgauers or Unimogs into RVs/Campervans.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Well, I don't get the distinction between the types of tents one might carry in a car.

Some of it is posturing. some of it is actually chuckling at the people who need to have everything with them.

if that tent that you can stand in has several rooms, an air mattress, a table, a small flatscreen TV, a small fridge, Kitchen sink, AC, and heating, i might laugh a bit at you.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

Yeah, I've been in tents that are basically portable rooms. I think one I was in once was larger than my home office. I think the manufacturer said it could sleep 20. Seriously, fucking thing was huge.

Which, if you've got 20 people, that's fine. If you've got 3 people, you basically have a portable house.

In opposition, I've never seen a tent that I couldn't stand up in that slept more than 3. And those three would need to be really good friends.

Basically, there's people who think that if you're comfortable, you're somehow doing it wrong. I can see the argument for not bringing a giant 20 person tent for 3 people as finding a space large enough for the fucking thing may be problematic in lots of areas, but using that same critera to throw out the relatively small tents that nevertheless are tall? Seems silly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:20 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:In opposition, I've never seen a tent that I couldn't stand up in that slept more than 3. And those three would need to be really good friends.

Theres a few designs around that sleep about 5-6 (more like 3-4 if you have your gear and stuff in the tent) That my head rubbed against the top of.

SecondTalon wrote:
Basically, there's people who think that if you're comfortable, you're somehow doing it wrong.

Its more "being comfortable with less gear" there are some very decent lightweight pads, down sleeping bags, and other minimalist gear that is a godsend for comfort. Having a good, sturdy camp chair can make the daylight hours alot more tolerable also, I will never put down someone for having one. they are damn comfy. sometimes i use mine at home not camping at all.

SecondTalon wrote: Seems silly.

Well we are a silly people after all.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

That is missing canoe camping, which is neither backpacking nor car camping.

A canoe without portage, or a small one, can often have most of the gear not in backpacks. With portage, everything is probably going in packs, but you aren't carrying everything in one trip always. If you are, you are also carrying a canoe.

How about someone who is dropped off on a northern river from a puddle jumper and canoes downstream for a week over the tundra before being picked up at the far side? Above or below ultralite campers?

Definitely under the thru-hikers (5 months is crazy -- what do you do for food? hunt? cheat?)

Why is glamping under RVs with hookups? RV people are richer? (A glamper is a camper trailer, right?)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

No - glamping is when you hire someone else to put up your tent for you, often includes permanent locations where they just pitch a tent over concrete, with carpeting, beds available.

It's pretty sweet, I did it in Kenya for a night.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

Hmm. What if you are backpacking along a trail/canoeing down a river, with tents set up a hike distance apart every night, for a week or more?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm UTC

With the tents set up by other people? Still glamping.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

Admittedly I had to google the term, but it seems like "glamping" is a portmanteau of "glamorous" and "camping." In which case making the sole distinction be who set up the tents seems silly. What if they just set up pup-tents over dry earth?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

Ye gods man, there's going to be edge cases!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

On camping/backpacking/walking:

I would use camping for both the travel-by-foot and travel-by-car variants. Backpacking makes me automatically assume medium-long duration international trips on minimal budget, staying at hostels and the like (probably in Southeast Asia*, but it could be anywhere). For the 'travel by foot to a campsite' type camping, I'd most likely refer to that as a 'walking' trip/holiday rather than as 'backpacking'. I think the main activity would determine whether I used 'camping' or 'walking' as the primary descriptor - if you're spending all day(s)trekking and just camping to have somewhere to sleep, I'd say 'walking', whereas if you're hiking to a camping location where you plan to chill out and have a good time, I'd say 'camping'.

Glamping, for me, likely includes luxury tents with amenities that are more akin to permanent hotel rooms than campsites. For example, beds instead of sleeping bags, and plumbing. I've seen 'glamping' sites which are little more than lodges made out of canvas instead of wood.

Also, tangentially, at the beginning of summer, I saw one of the department stores near my house selling car-roof-mounted tents. I'd never seen anything like them before - are they common in other places? They didn't seem like they'd be that practical in Korea, because you wouldn't often want to sleep in a car park, and a lot of camp sites wouldn't allow you to just drive your car right onto the lot.

*I'm told you can backpack around Southeast Asia with an extremely small bag - just one or two spare T-shirts and changes of underwear, and room for a bottle of water or two, relying on the extremely low cost of living to get your laundry done every couple of days, and on the subtropical climate to allow you to go without any warmer/extra layers, even if you have to sleep outside. Not really my thing, but a lot of my friends do it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:30 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm told you can backpack around Southeast Asia with an extremely small bag - just one or two spare T-shirts and changes of underwear, and room for a bottle of water or two, relying on the extremely low cost of living to get your laundry done every couple of days, and on the subtropical climate to allow you to go without any warmer/extra layers, even if you have to sleep outside. Not really my thing, but a lot of my friends do it.

My bf managed it with a 35L bag. He even had room for a sleeping bag!
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 am UTC

Angua wrote:My bf managed it with a 35L bag. He even had room for a sleeping bag!

I think the people I was talking to were using bags about half that size, but 35L is probably more sane, and a good compromise.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Also, tangentially, at the beginning of summer, I saw one of the department stores near my house selling car-roof-mounted tents. I'd never seen anything like them before - are they common in other places? They didn't seem like they'd be that practical in Korea, because you wouldn't often want to sleep in a car park, and a lot of camp sites wouldn't allow you to just drive your car right onto the lot.
They're not common here, but I've heard of them, and they seem reasonable popular with the overlanding crowd (which is sort of like a multiday hiking trip, but for offroad vehicles).
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
Adacore wrote:Also, tangentially, at the beginning of summer, I saw one of the department stores near my house selling car-roof-mounted tents. I'd never seen anything like them before - are they common in other places? They didn't seem like they'd be that practical in Korea, because you wouldn't often want to sleep in a car park, and a lot of camp sites wouldn't allow you to just drive your car right onto the lot.
They're not common here, but I've heard of them, and they seem reasonable popular with the overlanding crowd (which is sort of like a multiday hiking trip, but for offroad vehicles).

I assumed there were something from the US/Canadian market that had been imported to Korea. They make a lot more sense in places where it's actually possible to drive for more than 5 hours without running out of land (or entering a mine field).

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:58 am UTC

Real men go ultra-light on the triple-crown* hiking between trails without a break.

Turns out, all the real men died a while back.

*Appalachian Trail - Georgia to Maine
Pacific Crest Trail - Mexico Border to British Columbia, Canada
Continental-Divide trail - Mexican Border to Canadian Border, but through the Rocky Mountains instead of the coast
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 am UTC

What does it say about you when you see a gold on black gucci logo out of the corner of your eye andyour first thought is " Batman has a perfume now? "
GNU Terry Pratchett

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Angua wrote:What does it say about you when you see a gold on black gucci logo out of the corner of your eye andyour first thought is " Batman has a perfume now? "

it means you have an allergy to wheat.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Return to “General”