Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Inspirations

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:04 pm UTC

OK, so do the fora just come to a halt whenever reddit blows up?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:18 pm UTC

I guess a lot of people only come to the fora when they've already caught up on Reddit. With Reddit down, they have to wait until they have access to Reddit again before they can catch up on it, so until that happens they're stuck not being able to check the fora because they're too busy checking whether they can catch up on Reddit yet.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

Umpteen years on, and I've still never seen the appeal of Reddit. Is it one of those "everyone younger than me" things?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:33 pm UTC

I can see the appeal - it's one bookmark or default tab that contains a site that lets you pick categories of things you like seeing and provides a mechanism for crowdsourcing the curation of content and crowdsourcing the process of separating out the good bits. If you're the sort of person who enjoys having the option of mainlining ridiculous amounts of content at any time (or at every time) then it's quite appealing. I just don't think I'm that sort of person, so it doesn't work for me.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

I've never really got in to reddit.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

I don't have an account but I have lurked in a subreddit for a little while.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

Wow.

Taylor's reported departure, which has been dubbed AMAgeddon, led other moderators of the marquee IAmA subreddit to switch the page's settings to private, rendering the Reddit userbase unable to view the page. Since then, dozens of other subreddits including /r/askreddit, /r/videos, /r/gaming and /r/gadgets — each with several million subscribers — have also been made private, instead re-directing readers to a static landing page.

This comes in the wake of other highly controversial events like the response to what became known as The Fappening, and the more recent ban of the controversial but popular FatPeopleHate subreddit.

Reddit is much bigger than I thought.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

I occasionally glance at a couple of subreddits but mostly leave it well alone.

As a discussion medium it seems ok, but I've just never really got into it. It just seems a bit intimidating with how ridiculously huge and broad it is. Fora seem much more approachable to me even when they are fairly broad (like this forum).

I guess it's that I started using forums back in the mid noughties and reddit had yet to become particularly well known then. Instead I hung out on a warhammer 40k forum for a while before eventually settling on here. I guess I might get involved in reddit at some point.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

Reddit has streamlined instant satisfaction content binging. Click through hundreds of funny pictures, or rambling but interesting stories, or memes that relate to your particular worldview.
It is also alright for getting advice and discussing topics, but I find that instant satisfaction browsing eats up a lot more time.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:32 pm UTC

The problem I have with reddit is that my reddit browsing sessions generally go [cool], [funny], [interesting], [funny], [some bigot posting some awful, awful shit]. Maybe I'm hanging out in the wrong subreddits, but so far that aspect of it has put me off spending much time on it.

Given that I have 500+ interesting articles saved in my evernote account that I haven't got round to reading yet, and 90+ saved youtube videos, and 20+ TED talks, I don't really need to go to reddit for content at the moment, and I have the fora for discussion.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

All of the default subreddits are terrible (at least the comments) because their cups runneth over with the general internet population. Anything that's strongly moderated or not very large is usually fine.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

Aunt: "Might need to learn to change diapers yourself soon."

...Whose? Yours?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

Story time!

I'm trying to sort out my first privately-rented flat a while ago. The whole experience is very stressful but me and my SO manage to find a place. However, things get way more stressful than they should because they forget that I needed a guarantor on the rent. My mum agrees to act and it turns out that she needs a reference. So I'm practically emailing the lady who is in charge of this whole operation every day and get very used to writing her name down on things. Then one day I send her an email and manage to sign off on the email with 'Best, Sarah'. Sarah is her name.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

I went through a stage in my PhD where I was writing a lot of formal emails to set up a collaboration. My mum thought it was a little strange when I started signing off my emails to her with "yours sincerely".

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

Funny, debit card purchase emails don't even make it through. It's an automated system that happens instantaneously. Such a hideous experiment. let me guess, the only jobs are hairy ass bags of American twats shoved in your face. Fuckin Stupid! You don't think I see it? It's a shame so many good people have died for such a lie. Today I think of all the good people who have died for such shite. I'm speaking to you from the grave you son's of a bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc I was well kept in Mexico.

cash.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA

Fuckin Cowards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWEv9Q0XQ4

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 am UTC

Everyone who's in Oxford seems to sign their emails 'best wishes' (or, if you're my tutor who writes all his emails on his blackberry 'bw')

Even I do it now.
GNU Terry Pratchett

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

Best wishes seems pretty universal here in the light blue corner as well. I think lots of other places use kind regards similarly.
my pronouns are they

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:59 pm UTC

On the rare occasions I write work emails in English, I aways stress about which valediction I should use to have the correct level of formality. Same with the initial greeting.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:18 pm UTC

Huh. What options other than "Dear recipient" are there?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:30 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Huh. What options other than "Dear recipient" are there?

[Firstname],
[Title. Lastname],
[Honorific],
Dear [Firstname],
Dear [Title. Lastname],
Dear [Honorific],
Dear [Firstname]:
Dear [Title. Lastname]:
Dear [Honorific]:
Dear [Position at company]:
To [Firstname Lastname]:
To [Title. Firstname Lastname]:
To [Position at company]:

Those seem to be the common ones. The distinction between Dear ___, and Dear ___: is informal vs business letters.
Hi you.
she/her

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

Also the business about when you're not sending a letter to a specific person but a committee or organisation. The traditionally "correct" opener has been "dear sir or madam" but, as a non-binary person, I'm not really very comfortable with it and, when I had to write such a letter recently I toyed with using the opener "dear sir, madam or otherwise," but thought that a letter which mattered as much as that would have probably wasn't the place to challenge society (or the university)'s ingrained binarism.
my pronouns are they

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:33 pm UTC

What about "To Whom It May Concern" as a non-gender-specific salutation?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

It works, though it sounds a bit outdated to me. I'm getting into the habit of starting work emails with "Good morning" or "Good afternoon". Not sure that it's entirely free of sarcasm. Sometimes it's entirely full of sarcasm.

(E.g.: "Good morning. Has anyone noticed that the QA server is down?")
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:03 pm UTC

I had to send a letter to the IRS recently and I wanted to start the letter with 'Dear Sir/Madam/Otherwise' and my mum shot it down because it sounded unprofessional. I went with 'To Whom it may Concern' so as to be inclusive.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:09 pm UTC

"To whom it may concern" is both a bit formal and indiscriminate. It's the sort of thing you'd expect to be followed by "As should be obvious from what you see around you, we have all perished, and I entrust this, the tragic chronicle of our voyage, to you, nameless traveller, to convey back to civilisation".

Fine for the IRS but not something you'd send to someone to whom you're not just a number on a file.

How about "Hey!" or "Hey, <name>!"? Always seems reasonably cheerful to me, and is entirely gender neutral. Or something like "Hey buddy!".
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:14 pm UTC

Never, ever, ever, use "hey" as the opening to an email. If you're doing something so informal so as to fit with "hey," either don't put it in an email, or skip the introduction entirely. "Hey" sounds to me like "Hey, you. Hey! You! You're ignoring me! Pay attention to me, you idiot!" All that with three characters (or four, if you've included an exclamation point). "To Whom It May Concern," on the other hand, is awesome, and should be used whenever you don't know the name of the person you are formally addressing.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

I usually go with 'Hi, [name]' if I'm emailing someone I know. It usually works as an informal greeting.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

I always go with To Whom it May Concern when I am uncertain of the person's name (I've never done a Dear Sir or Dear Madam).
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:38 am UTC

Within my company I use "Dear Firstname" for the UK and "Dear Title Fullname" for Koreans. With the UK company, after the first exchange we'll just switch to "Firstname", but with most Koreans I stick to "Dear Fullname". If I'm writing to Koreans in Korean, then it's either "Position" or "Fullname Position". If someone signs off their emails, I'll switch to using that name format in any subsequent mails I write to them.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:49 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:What about "To Whom It May Concern" as a non-gender-specific salutation?

That sounds more like a formal way of addressing a note left on a car windscreen where I don't have any idea who's reading rather than a case where I know the committee it's going to, just not the specific person. It certainly works though and I'll have to remember it. I'm not 100% sure I'd want to break it out here though because growing up I was always taught that the "correct" form was the sir or madam one and, sadly, this university is definitely one where knowing those shibboleths is useful (but that may just be me worrying more than I need to).

As for what people want from [title] [first name] [second name], I usually open with the whole lot (and sign with my full name, no title) and then copy how they sign off (switching to signing with just my first name).
my pronouns are they

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:17 am UTC

I seem to remember reading a book where one of the characters (a young child) started all of her letters with "Dear Sir or Madam", even if she was writing to her mum.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:33 am UTC

Meh, I was always taught the To Whom it May Concern one was correct at my school, and have never gone wrong with it.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:52 am UTC

If I'm writing a letter/email to an organisation or committee and I don't want to be as formal as "To whom it may concern" I'll often write it to the group as a whole e.g. "Dear IT team". I'm not sure whether that's technically "correct", but it seems to work fine.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 am UTC

In the beginning I was weirded out by using "Dear <name>" in a professional email. It seemed too personal.
Also, I have noted that German suppliers tend not to use "Dear <name>". To them I don't either. I use "Hello <name>", or "Hi <name> if I have spoken to them on the phone (in German*). Emails to American suppliers do start with "Dear <name>", although it still feels a bit overly personal.

*When phoning a German supplier I speak German. When emailing I write English. This is a direct result of German grammar: in spoken word it doesn't matter that much but when you read it the errors just smash in your face. I don't know enough German grammar to make written text presentable but I do know enough to make spoken word good enough (combined with the fact that all contacts like it when you speak their language).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:16 am UTC

Hummer - "Firmly plant your carbon footprint."
- someone else
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:06 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:*When phoning a German supplier I speak German. When emailing I write English. This is a direct result of German grammar: in spoken word it doesn't matter that much but when you read it the errors just smash in your face. I don't know enough German grammar to make written text presentable but I do know enough to make spoken word good enough (combined with the fact that all contacts like it when you speak their language).

This is also the case for me in Korean. I can get my point across without sounding like a total idiot in spoken Korean, but in written Korean the grammatical mistakes are much more obvious. I think this is probably true in most/all languages, but I'm not sure.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:30 am UTC

I think a lot of people in English use "Dear" as a sort of automatic letter opener that they were taught. It does get a little weird when you begin to think about it, but I also think a lot of English readers just sort of pass over it.

I use a variety. I tend to go "Hi [person]" in a more familiar email and just state the name and/or title of the person I'm corresponding with when it's formal or new.

Signing off, I usually go "Thanks" when in a familiar tone, or "Sincerely", "respectfully", or "regards" or something else when it's formal or new.

I once wrote a resignation letter in Sonnet form to some people who had particularly annoyed me and wasted my time, and after lambasting them signed the letter "With due respect", which is respectful on the face of it, but in context one can come to the conclusion that I didn't think they were due much respect at all.

To date I consider it one of my finest pieces of professional writing.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:53 am UTC

Agreed on the use of "Dear". If I ever actually think about what it means, it feels completely out of place in almost every email or letter I write. None of these people are particularly 'dear' to me; if I'm writing to someone who I actually do hold dear, I'll normally go with either no introduction at all, or a simple 'Hi' or 'Hey', with no name or title. "Dear" is the default letter-starter in English, though, and the letter-starting "Dear" is now almost a different word from the adjective form.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:17 am UTC

Yep.
'Dear', in American English correspondence is not cuddly and familiar.
To put the cuddly back in I might write, "My Dearest Somebody; ...."

I very rarely put the cuddly back in.
In American business writing 'Dear' means, 'Not an AssHole'.
And; Just barely that.

I am so very impressed with the ability of Neal and Adacore and so many others
that can move from one language to another language with ease and grace.

That skill is very rarely developed by the Americans I have met.
And; I have met a lot of Americans.

I think it is an educational and social deficit.
The Baggers and the English Only's won.

The rest of us lost a great deal.
Freedom of speech is meaningless to those that can not speak.

First, we lost foreign languages.
Then, we lost English.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:35 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:*When phoning a German supplier I speak German. When emailing I write English. This is a direct result of German grammar: in spoken word it doesn't matter that much but when you read it the errors just smash in your face. I don't know enough German grammar to make written text presentable but I do know enough to make spoken word good enough (combined with the fact that all contacts like it when you speak their language).

This is also the case for me in Korean. I can get my point across without sounding like a total idiot in spoken Korean, but in written Korean the grammatical mistakes are much more obvious. I think this is probably true in most/all languages, but I'm not sure.

In both Dutch (native) and English I feel like I sound much stupider when speaking than when writing. AFAIK this is a result of the English grammar being easier, me having far more experience with it (yay Internet) and the lack of backspace in spoken word. And for Dutch the experience with it is even a bigger factor, while the grammar is a bit more complex.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “General”