Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: Inspirations

Postby addams » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:43 am UTC

Good Guesses!!
How did you do the craters on our moon?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:22 am UTC

All correct. Pleased. We did the craters by letting the icing set and then poking it with the end of a chop stick. The others are Iapetus and Titan. I think they'll come out a bit better next time. Enceladus' tiger stripes will be better.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 am UTC

They're excellent. I love science cakes (I would say space-cakes, but that's something entirely different).

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:54 am UTC

You could do a Death Star cake and if someone asks which moon it is your SO can reply
"That's no moon".
:)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

It has definitely been said a few times now. With the 'that's no moon, it's a cupcake' not being quite as catchy as the original.

FT: Could we, as a humanitarian collective strive never to force our children to study plays from the scripts? Honestly, one of my favorite plays is 'The Importance of Being Ernest' and even the wit of Oscar Wilde gets a little muddied if it has to sit on the page. Honestly, I think we're destroying Shakespeare for a whole generation because we're making them learn it for exams from just the scripts where it would be so much more exciting to watch several different interpretations of a play (movie, stage, whatever) and then analyze the differences instead of getting school children to mumble through their own bored voices reading it.

Shakespeare is one of the most widely interpreted playwrights ever, when you have a crap ton of movies that riff on the original themes, why ruin it? Like, for Romeo and Juliet, I'm sure there's an old-timey version knocking around somewhere, you could go Romeo+Juliet, you could even go with West Side Story, there's a freakin' Gnomeo and Juliet. Watch everything! It's a medium that is supposed to be watched? Why are we mucking around not watching it?

Sidenote: if you google 'Romeo and Juliet Adaptations' the weirdest entrants are: Lion King 2, Gnomeo and Juliet, Romeo and Juliet Sealed with a Kiss (about seals), Underworld, and Pizza My Heart.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:You could do a Death Star cake and if someone asks which moon it is your SO can reply
"That's no moon".
:)

Potentially dangerous.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

Wait, Underworld?

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm UTC

Yeah, she's a vampire, he's bitten and becomes a werewolf and then they run away together or something? (I have watched the Underworld Films at least a couple of times each with supplementary reading the wikipedia plot and can never make anything of that film stick in my mind. I have a similar problem with the Jason(?) Bourne Films.)
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Yeah, she's a vampire, he's bitten and becomes a werewolf and then they run away together or something? (I have watched the Underworld Films at least a couple of times each with supplementary reading the wikipedia plot and can never make anything of that film stick in my mind. I have a similar problem with the Jason(?) Bourne Films.)

If I'm not mistaken, he becames/is kind of an hybrid of vampire and werewolf and is super duper? Or something.

And it doesn't feel right to me calling generic "forbidden love" stories adaptations of Romeo & Juliet.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

I am also not comfortable with that. I also don't know the plot of Underworld very well. However, that is what google told me so google *gasp* might be wrong.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:06 pm UTC

Forbidden Love has been a literary (and oral tradition) theme since we've been telling stories, I don't think Romeo and Juliet gets dibs on that shit.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:32 pm UTC

For it to be Romeo and Juliet, they have to die and their families have to be reconciled.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:26 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Lion King 2

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen 2, but I find it kind of odd that it was Romeo and Juliet given that 1 was Hamlet and 1 ½ was Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:09 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:It has definitely been said a few times now. With the 'that's no moon, it's a cupcake' not being quite as catchy as the original.

FT: Could we, as a humanitarian collective strive never to force our children to study plays from the scripts? Honestly, one of my favorite plays is 'The Importance of Being Ernest' and even the wit of Oscar Wilde gets a little muddied if it has to sit on the page. Honestly, I think we're destroying Shakespeare for a whole generation because we're making them learn it for exams from just the scripts where it would be so much more exciting to watch several different interpretations of a play (movie, stage, whatever) and then analyze the differences instead of getting school children to mumble through their own bored voices reading it.

Shakespeare is one of the most widely interpreted playwrights ever, when you have a crap ton of movies that riff on the original themes, why ruin it? Like, for Romeo and Juliet, I'm sure there's an old-timey version knocking around somewhere, you could go Romeo+Juliet, you could even go with West Side Story, there's a freakin' Gnomeo and Juliet. Watch everything! It's a medium that is supposed to be watched? Why are we mucking around not watching it?

Sidenote: if you google 'Romeo and Juliet Adaptations' the weirdest entrants are: Lion King 2, Gnomeo and Juliet, Romeo and Juliet Sealed with a Kiss (about seals), Underworld, and Pizza My Heart.

That is such a good rant.
The crib notes do just fine for most of that stuff.
....umm...(don't they?)
Crib Notes.
Spoiler:
(idiomatic) Any summary or quick reference used as a shortcut or reminder, such as an aid for public speaking.

Yes. Or; Taking a test on the book or talking with some kind of understanding to an expert.

I swear; There was an entire section in the bookstore for Crib Sheets.
It served the purpose wikipedia serves today.

You obviously know and care about the legacy of Western Culture.
Maybe, people like you can keep it from dying on the vine.

Spoiler:
Mahatma Gandhi said "It would be a good idea."
When asked, "What do you think of Western Culture."

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:43 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Could we, as a humanitarian collective strive never to force our children to study plays from the scripts?
My beef is teaching Shakespeare's plays by (just) reading them or seeing them. Shakespeare has a lot of in jokes, and a lot of vocab and culture that need to be learned before one can get the jokes, or in some cases, even follow the plot. What the ch*rp is a "fardel" or a "bodkin"?
Spoiler:
Yes, I know what they are. But first time readers probably don't, and following a footnote to find out spoils the flow of the play when it has to be done constantly.
I think students should learn about the times and the goings on (maybe even writing short skits using that material), and then read Shakespeare. It would make much more sense.

Ditto opera. The music may be beautiful, but the stories tend to be rather convoluted sometimes, no?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:33 am UTC

I think a lot of it can be picked up from context in the setting of a play or a film. If someone uses a word that you don't understand but is gesturing to a cup, it might provide a clue into what they're talking about. By all means, have a look at the script later, but forcing them to read it all out when they have no understanding of what's going on or these random words that turn up really kills the whole thing imo.

Also, the whole Shakespeare having invented a crap ton of words - I read somewhere that what he did was something like changing 'soft' into 'softly' so it wasn't like people had never seen these words ever before, he was just making words suit his purpose. Could I get a fact check on this?
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:50 am UTC

Wikipedia wrote:He created these words by, "changing nouns into verbs, changing verbs into adjectives, connecting words never before used together, adding prefixes and suffixes, and devising words wholly original."

[…]

While it is true that Shakespeare created many new words (the Oxford English Dictionary records over 2,000), an article in National Geographic points out the findings of historian Jonathan Hope who wrote in "Shakespeare's 'Native English'" that "the Victorian scholars who read texts for the first edition of the OED paid special attention to Shakespeare: his texts were read more thoroughly, and cited more often, so he is often credited with the first use of words, or senses of words, which can, in fact, be found in other writers."
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:55 am UTC

So yes & also because Shakespeare is so widely read, people attribute things to him that might have been from someone else? Huh. Maybe I should have tried wikipedia first.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:06 am UTC

Shakespeare was the first one to attribute first instances of many things to Shakespeare.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:For it to be Romeo and Juliet, they have to die and their families have to be reconciled.

That's pretty much just Troilus and Criseyde which, as a story dates back at least as far as Chaucer and, given Troilus' history in greek literature, the entire story may well be much older.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:27 pm UTC

Yeah Shakes is pretty much useless, in a world where Greek exists.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm UTC

Shakespeare's plays are great but as devices to teach modern teenagers how to use and enjoy English, they're terrible.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

True, but as a device for beating modern English-speaking teenagers in to submission and teaching them to knuckle under and repeat back what they've been told, they're pretty good... ;-P
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:39 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:Shakespeare's plays are great but as devices to teach modern teenagers how to use and enjoy English, they're terrible.

Anecdata: as part of my studying English at university level in Sweden, we had an optional class whose exam was to perform a Shakespeare play. It did trip us up a little on words ending in -ed and will for the rest of our lives probably but all our other pronunciations of English were markedly improvèd. Also, Shakespeare is really dirty and I don't think you'd have any trouble teaching teenagers to enjoy, say, Twelfth Night, if you acknowledged this. But maybe some are not made to have greatness thrust upon them ...
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:39 pm UTC

Thanks for all the congratulations on the previous page!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
FierceContinent wrote:Shakespeare's plays are great but as devices to teach modern teenagers how to use and enjoy English, they're terrible.

Anecdata: as part of my studying English at university level in Sweden, we had an optional class whose exam was to perform a Shakespeare play. It did trip us up a little on words ending in -ed and will for the rest of our lives probably but all our other pronunciations of English were markedly improvèd. Also, Shakespeare is really dirty and I don't think you'd have any trouble teaching teenagers to enjoy, say, Twelfth Night, if you acknowledged this. But maybe some are not made to have greatness thrust upon them ...

I loved Shakespeare at school. Principally because the first thing our teacher did was show us modern film adaptations to ease us in gently, and the second thing she did was institute a competition for who could spot the largest number of dirty jokes in the text.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:58 pm UTC

Captain's dog, stardate 41254.7. Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:01 pm UTC

woof
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

Speaking of which, I'm increasing my convinced my downstairs neighbors are Klingons.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Speaking of which, I'm increasing my convinced my downstairs neighbors are Klingons.

Because of their Great Honour and unfailing courage in battle?
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:26 am UTC

Recently discovered that it's surprisingly difficult to exchange dollar bills for quarters.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:44 am UTC

notzeb wrote:Recently discovered that it's surprisingly difficult to exchange dollar bills for quarters.

ok. Why would you want to exchange light, portable bills for heavy coins?
Is this a laundry situation?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:34 am UTC

notzeb wrote:Recently discovered that it's surprisingly difficult to exchange dollar bills for quarters.

Most places are more expensive, right? Damn inflation!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:53 am UTC

I now have two copies of my degree certificate, because they'd lost the first one (apparently deciding to send it to me rather than having it available for me to collect along with everyone else's, but then losing all records of having sent it to me).

I guess I'll send it to my mother.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 pm UTC

Yey! Lucky your Mom.
Spoiler:
In my head, your Mom is forever associated with a cluster of piglets crossing the road.
Lucky you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

LOL.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 am UTC

#TRITONFACTS

Triton has a pretty weird orbit. It's almost completely circular, highly inclined and also retrograde (orbiting in the opposite direction from all the other Neptunian satellites). It is thought that it was captured into a highly eccentric orbit which then circularized. We'll talk about how that happened next time on...

#TRITONFACTS
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 pm UTC

This is a very good science feature, FT, I am very pleased.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 pm UTC

/subscribe #TRITONFACTS

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:13 pm UTC

Trying to read Ulysses
"He slipped card and letter into his sidepocket, reviewing again the soldiers on parade Where's old Tweedy's regiment?
Castoff soldier. There: bearskin cap and hackle plume. No.he's a grenadier. Pointed cuffs. There he is: royal Dublin fusiliers.Redcoats.
Too showy. That must be why the women go after them. Uniform. Easier to enlist and drill. Maud Gonnes letter about taking them off O'Connell street at night:disgrace to our Irish capital. Griffith's paper is on the same tack now: an army rotten with venereal disease: overseas or halfseasover empire. Half baked they look: hypnotised like. Eyes front. Mark time. Table: able. Bed: ed. The King’s own. Never see him dressed up as a fireman or a bobby. A mason, yes."

Kinda reminds me of Deva and addams' posts.

Return to “General”