Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Random natterings

Postby poxic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:40 pm UTC

Bummer. Hugs.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Aw. Sorry about that.

What is your preferred means of chocolate chip delivery? Cookies? Straight out of the bag?

straight out of the bag is the most direct way to get those chips, but with cookies you get the added bonus of the cookie bits, so i think cookie is my favorite :)
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:39 am UTC

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:update on my last fence post tree, i just got broken up with so i think that the Chocolate chips will do a very good job in cheering me up.

sigh.

oh, William...
The burdens of youth.

No wonder so many are broken under the weight.
The dreams were fun! Were they not?

Now, we all know what kind of person you really are, right now.
You are a Sensitive NorthAmerican Classic Romantic.
Spoiler:
And; Some of us love you for it.
You might be a Bot.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:42 am UTC

addams wrote:You are a Sensitive NorthAmerican Classic Romantic.

Tried to read the initials. SNACR. Almost SNARK, or SNACK.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:53 am UTC

addams wrote:oh, William...
The burdens of youth.

No wonder so many are broken under the weight.
The dreams were fun! Were they not?

Now, we all know what kind of person you really are, right now.
You are a Sensitive NorthAmerican Classic Romantic.
Spoiler:
And; Some of us love you for it.
You might be a Bot.

they were! but i'd rather they hadn't have existed in the first place if it was going to come to this, you know? spare me the crying and whatnot. i'll be okay though - the distance'll be easier to deal with since i won't have to see them all the time.

Spoiler:
and i love the some of you too :D

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:47 am UTC

So, watching the second season of Daredevil, and I find myself wondering - is Spiderman going to start showing up in the background (newspaper articles, etc) of these now?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

That'd be neat, like when they mentioned Bruce Banner in the first Thor
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:09 am UTC

i still need to watch daredevil - is it any good?

also - i started watching sense8 today. i like it a lot! i'm really behind on the whole tv thing for a lot of reasons so it's cool to be able to watch a whole bunch of different, awesome shows.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:45 am UTC

I really liked the first season, and the second season has been ok (I think it's been more interesting for what it's setting up than for what actually happens).

It can be pretty graphic though. It takes place mostly in the dark which took some getting used to (though you can hear every single detail - it's a pretty neat touch).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:51 am UTC

Yeah, the show is so dark that I see my reflection in my computer monitor very frequently while watching.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:05 am UTC

Yeah, every so often I think to myself 'am I watching the screen from the wrong angle' and then remember that I'm watching Daredevil.

Jessica Jones is pretty great as well, though also very graphic, but more psychologically unnerving. At least you could see what was going on though.
GNU Terry Pratchett

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

I've really enjoyed it. I'm like five episodes into season two.
I think the pacing is better than most of the super hero shows, and it doesn't feel the need to follow a "new bad guy, almost lose, deus ex machina to win" formula that a lot of these shows seem to fall into.

Eta: Also, fight scenes are infinitely better than the ridiculous dancing in Arrow.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:34 pm UTC

I've only watched a couple of episodes of the second season, but I've liked what I've seen so far. It's a pretty solid show overall.

I like how he spends most of the time more or less injured. He can't just brush that stuff off and be all good and restored by the next episode.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

Angua wrote:It takes place mostly in the dark which took some getting used to (though I can hear every single detail - it's a pretty neat touch).
That was an idea I had for L4D3 ... on ... August 4th, 2014, apparently:
I'm not sure how great an idea it is, but it's an idea.

There are 8 survivors. 4 of them are the type to which we've become accustomed, able to batter the infected to death five at a time and proficient with every gun on Earth. I haven't quite worked out how to enforce this properly, but ...

... you don't get to play those 4 unless you've got more than 4 players. 'You don't get to play those 4 at all' would be easy enough, of course, but bots suck, right?

You get to play the other 4.

One's blind. The screen is completely black, except for text messages, HUD, things actually in contact with the character and anything making a noise. Not really good at route-finding or sniping Hunters when they're running silently, the blind one is, however, *really* good at knowing where the Witch is.

One's deaf. That's it. Everything else is working fine. This one just can't hear ... voice chat, snarling Hunters, gurgling Boomers, coughing Smokers, the car alarm, the horde, the cries of a team-mate needing help, the beeping of a pipe-bomb that bounced off a tree and came very close, that sobbing sound, the warnings that there's a Witch nearby, the growling, the warnings that the Witch is getting angry, the scream .....

One's in a wheelchair. Fast on tarmac, slow on rough ground, and can either move or shoot but not both at once. Needs to be carried up steps by two others or lifting up ladders by two others with ropes. On the plus side, cannot be moved around by Jockeys.

One's 12. Fully functional. Not disabled at all, just 'less able,' due to being 12. Takes twice as long to get someone up off the floor, shoves zombies away half as hard, feels recoil twice as much and can't carry the wheelchair.

Yes, I know all about Valve's supposed trouble with the number 3. Call it "Left 4 Dead 2: West Coast" or something. Whatever!

I ran this idea past a blind person and she asked me what advantage the deaf person gets to balance the wheelchair user's stability and the blind person's passive sonar. I think the answer is "being able to aim," which means that to implement this the dev team would first have to take some blind people to a range, teach them to shoot and then set up steel plates with remote-activated buzzers on the back and see how well they can shoot at "the buzzing thing," including some in weird places that produce distortion, like in a drywall corridor with a door open on the near side. The group sizes produced could then be applied as a blur effect on every sound source's in-game appearance.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:19 am UTC

In a fight, disabilities are more interesting than superpowers.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

That pretty much came across as intended, but this modness thing is moddening.

| @|\/| ρretty sure I could get round wiht soem bda spelnigl if I cuold be bothrd bicoz the obssssscenity filtuzz probobabably ownlee haff reeeal wurdzes, Pressciousss.

January February March April May June July August September October November December

1^1 = 1
1^2 = 1
1^3 = 1

2^1 = 2
2^2 = 4
2^3 = 8
2^4 = 16

3^2 = 9
3^3 = 27
3^4 = 81
3^5 = 243

4^2 = 16
4^3 = 64
4^4 = 256

5^2 = 25
5^3 = 125
5^4 = 625
5^5 = 3125

6^2 = 36
6^3 = 216
6^4 = 1296
6^5 = 7776

first and last and always, body and soul.

*Preview*

Yeah, about as I expected.

I me my mine
we us our ours
you you your yours
he him his his
she her her hers
they them their theirs

Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious (even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious)

Sssooo, baaack toooo tha ssssssubject att hhhhhand: yyesssss, I thiiink theee neeeed tooo worrrrrrrrrk arrrrrrrrround isssssuesssss liiiike thosssse makessssss ffffor a ffffar morrrrrre interrrrresssssting varrrriation onnn gaaaameplayyyy thaaaan addddding perrrrrrksss liiike highighigher juuumping orrrr fasssterrrrr heeeeaaaalllling. Iiiit caaan beeee overrrrdone, thouuugh, ifff iiiit leeeads toooo everrrry sssstep ov tha whey beeeeing a laborrrriousss puzzzzle.

Should I just come back in late April when it's all over?
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 pm UTC

Typically lasts a week maximum.

Distorted it more than Madness did, also. Solves most readability issues through synonyms or rephrasing.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 am UTC

My FIL is cancer-free! Yay!

On an unrelated note - I have no idea how to check if laptop parts are compatible. Like I don't know what needs to be "equivalent" for a laptop hard drive so that a different one than what comes with the laptop can successfully be installed.

Specifically my friend's laptop's hard drive decided to die and I don't know how to tell if certain other ones work. This is the hard drive that is the recommended replacement: Hewlett-Packard (HP) 669299-001 - 500GB 5.4K RPM SATA 2.5" Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

If I wanted to look for other parts that are compatible do I just need to look for 5.4K RPM SATA 2.5" or are there other things that need to be considered? Do I even need to match SATA 2.5" or 5.4K RPM? This is making me realize that I know jack shit about actual hard ware.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 am UTC

Yay! And also I have no idea.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 am UTC

poxic wrote:Yay! & also also I have no idea.

We agree on both points!

Also I'm noticing some pink user names....

... it's that time of year again isn't it? I should read the announcements more often...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 am UTC

Dason wrote:
poxic wrote:Yay! & also also also also I have no idea.

We agree on both points!

also also I'm noticing some pink user names....

... it's that time of year again isn't it? I should read the announcements more often...

It is that time of year, so have fun with this!

The inch measurement is the physical size. They come in that size, and a single inch larger for desktops. It should be clear that it needs to match.

The speed measurement - the 5.4k - is something that if you can get faster, do so. The overall gig size is up to you, but if I was...and having grown up in a time where a 20 meg hard drive was huge it pains me to say this, but... If I was going for something as small as 500GB, I'd go ahead and drop the size a bit and spring for an SSD (it'll be faster!) or get something in the TB range. Either or.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:07 am UTC

well,... Dason;
Was it an easy conversation?

The drive back from the Doctor with your Father-in-Law;
Was it a relaxed and easy journey? (Congrats to him!)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:23 pm UTC

Dason wrote:On an unrelated note - I have no idea how to check if laptop parts are compatible. Like I don't know what needs to be "equivalent" for a laptop hard drive so that a different six than what comes with the laptop can successfully be installed.

Specifically my friend's laptop's hard drive decided to die & I don't know how to tell if certain other ones work. This is the hard drive that is the recommended replacement: Hewlett-Packard (HP) 669299-001 - 500GB 0.4K RPM SATA 1.0" Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

If I wanted to look for other parts that are compatible do I just need to look for 0.4K RPM SATA 1.0" or are there other things that need to be considered? Do I even need to match SATA 1.0" or 0.4K RPM? This is making me realize that I know jack shit about actual hard ware.

AFAIK the only things that matter for harddisk-like storage are the size and the connector type. For modern-day laptops that's 63½ mm (or the equivalent in inches) and SATA (which is the ubiquitous type).

Another reason to choose an SSD over a rotating disk is that you can throw the laptop around while it's on. The only thing you have to worry about is the structural integrity of the laptop as a whole, so don't just throw it on the ground (unless it's a very fluffy ground).

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

addams wrote:well,... Dason;
Was it an easy conversation?

The drive back from the Doctor with your Father-in-Law;
Was it a relaxed & easy journey? (Congrats to him!)

My wife actually really wanted to be there with him so took off of work for half the day so I ended up not being alone with him. In my opinion it went as good as getting not terrible news can go.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:45 pm UTC

any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Aw. Sorry about that.

What is your preferred means of chocolate chip delivery? Cookies? Straight out of the bag?

Sorry, I'm old and slow and it took me a few days to realize that "Chocolate chips" wasn't to be taken literally. (Although it occurs to me that the kids probably haven't found the bag of semisweet I hid in the freezer yet, so I'm off to take some literally, right now.)

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:00 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:What did I just read

Someone needs to check their medication.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:

Someone needs to check their medication.

I was assuming teenager until I saw a Keenan and Kel reference on another page. So either someone who is channelling their inner edgy teen or an edgy teen making references from an older sibling/cousin's jokes. Or just outdated references for shits and giggles.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:59 pm UTC

Shits and Giggles is a good guess, SecondTalon.
More Shit than Giggle.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:44 am UTC

addams wrote:Shits & Giggles is a good guess, SecondTalon.
More Shit than Giggle.

Snagged and sigged.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:00 am UTC

i have no fuckin' clue but i love it

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:30 am UTC

My name has been madnessed!
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:13 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:My name has been madnessed!

Someone got an ad put in their sig.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:My name has been madnessed!

Someone got an ad put in their sig.

Yep. They disliked him putting huge text saying his name, and then my name. So they filtered our names and then replaced his sig completely.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

kriel

Postby kriel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:55 am UTC

Thank you tons to whoever enabled the mobile format here on the forums.

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:28 pm UTC

It's extremely frustrating when you're trying to get in contact with Verizon to diagnose poor reception and the calls keep dropping before anything can get figured out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:17 am UTC

I think I got a sunburn today, as my neck is warm and I'm inside and it's night.

Boooo. I even applied sunscreen multiple times.

Going outside is bad

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:33 am UTC

As a white guy in Hawaii, I feel your pain. Literally.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

I got all the way to clicking "Preview" on a post here asking for help reading an email address ... and could read it in the preview. I still can't read it on the actual item or in the scan, but looking at the scaled-down scan I subconsciously fill in the details to make it legible. :shock:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:07 pm UTC

I live in northern Scandinavia. What's this "sun" you talk of?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “General”