Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rakysh

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby Rakysh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Hey. Hey ubisoft. Good work, hope you enjoy bankruptcy.

(The saddest thing is, people will still buy it.)

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Don't change it! I like the pink thing!
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

Chicostick wrote:Anyone else ever type out part of a post or message to someone, stop and stare, then erase it and close the window because you realize you're being a wanker? (honestly I just was dying to use the word wanker cause it sounds cool with a Maine accent and I've been saying it aloud to myself for some reason).

That's not a bad thing. I've read that Lincoln wrote many scathing letters, denigrating political opponents or his generals. He never sent them, and they were found in his possessions after he died.

It might feel good to rip into someone, but it usually is better to wait a while and let your feelings moderate.

Now if only I could take my own advice.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

The only thing you'll have to do is lower your self esteem!
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

Chicostick wrote:Anyone else ever type out part of a post or message to someone, stop and stare, then erase it and close the window because you realize you're being a wanker? (honestly I just was dying to use the word wanker cause it sounds cool with a Maine accent and I've been saying it aloud to myself for some reason).

I've done that after realizing that the post was too angry, or that I had descended into triviality.
Exit the vampires' castle.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:

I've done that after realizing that the post was too angry, or that I had descended into triviality.

So often, I have typed out what I thought was an eloquent and interesting post. I have then looked back at it and thought "I'm a moron" and not posted it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure I type as many posts that don't get posted as those that do...a while ago I had a policy of actually submitting every post I started typing, but that died out at some point.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:

If I didn't check my posts for triviality before hitting 'submit', my post count would be at least triple what it is now.

Baldur wrote:This is a little odd to see, to say the least! The Eager Lolsaur was a bit of a let down.

Sorry about that...kind of figured the Gaming forum traffic might not be familiar with you and Teapot, but I took a stab at it anyway.

Eager Lolsaur
2G
Creature - Human Lolsaur
As long as you control a Teapot, Eager Lolsaur gets +0/+3, trample, and double strike.
3/1

Better? :)
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"

Most of my posts do not improve upon silence, so I don't end up saying much.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

bobjoesmith

Postby bobjoesmith » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Does it make me a bad person if i took something from my second grade classroom once?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

"Have no friends not equal to yourself"

Hmm.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

MEPS is really slow and annoying....
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:49 am UTC

I am surprisingly self-conscious about people watching/hearing me blow my nose. This has led to multiple class periods where I'm sniffling audibly, but still trying not to draw any attention to the fact that I'm congested. Sometimes I realize I'm pretty weird.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:Anyone else ever type out part of a post or message to someone, stop and stare, then erase it and close the window because you realize you're being a wanker?

All of my posts are the result of me not realizing this and hitting Submit anyway.

Rakysh wrote:Hey. Hey ubisoft. Good work, hope you enjoy bankruptcy.

Que?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 am UTC

FT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

My university got a great idea a while back. They decided that instead of letting all the institutions manage their own websites, they would put them all on some huge centralized website on a CMS written by a bunch of holwer monkeys with design degrees. Result:

1. One in four page loads results in an error message.
2. The back button doesn't work.
3. You can't bookmark a page.
4. 50-70% of every page consists of pictures of people of different races getting along well. That's great, but I want to know what courses I can select from next term.
5. Since stupid PR content takes precedent over actual relevant information for students, it's downright impossible to find any information that isn't directed at would-be students.
6. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
7. This is how it's been for like 6 months now.
8. People who dynamically load static content should drawn and quartered.
9. Aesthetics should not come at a price of functionality, and functionality should pimp-slap aesthetics across the room for trying.
10. The most important lesson: Don't fix what isn't broken.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 am UTC

RetSpline wrote:I am surprisingly self-conscious about people watching/hearing me blow my nose. This has led to multiple class periods where I'm sniffling audibly, but still trying not to draw any attention to the fact that I'm congested. Sometimes I realize I'm pretty weird.

I always thought it was acceptable to blow your nose in public. I was wrong.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Chicostick wrote:Anyone else ever type out part of a post or message to someone, stop and stare, then erase it and close the window because you realize you're being a wanker?

All of my posts are the result of me not realizing this and hitting Submit anyway.

Fixed for how I read it at first. I think it fits better this way.

SecondTalon wrote:
Rakysh wrote:Hey. Hey ubisoft. Good work, hope you enjoy bankruptcy.

Que?

I assume it is a reference to:
Wikipedia wrote:In January 2010, Ubisoft has announced the Online Services Platform, which forces customers to not only authenticate on the first game launch, but to remain online continually while playing, with the game even pausing if network connection is lost. This makes it impossible to play the game offline, to resell it, and means that should Ubisoft's servers go down, the game will be unplayable. http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/
Does seem like a little bit of a dick move.

[edit]
Ubisoft's FAQ wrote:Will customers need to upgrade their Internet connection to broadband speed?
No. We've made sure that the game is playable even with the lowest (A)DSL connections.
Does not compute...

Is this just a regional thing? Here, the word "broadband" refers to pretty much "everything that's faster than dialup"...
Last edited by phlip on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 am UTC

MrGee wrote:
RetSpline wrote:I am surprisingly self-conscious about people watching/hearing me blow my nose. This has led to multiple class periods where I'm sniffling audibly, but still trying not to draw any attention to the fact that I'm congested. Sometimes I realize I'm pretty weird.

There's blowing your nose in public, and then there's blowing your nose in public. There's nothing I hate more than people who blow their nose -at- me and/or expect me to shake their hand afterwards. But as long as you do it reasonably discretely and away from people's faces it really isn't that big of a deal, at least in my book.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Greatgreen

Postby Greatgreen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 am UTC

phlip wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Que?

I assume it is a reference to:
Wikipedia wrote:In January 2010, Ubisoft has announced the Online Services Platform, which forces customers to not only authenticate on the first game launch, but to remain online continually while playing, with the game even pausing if network connection is lost. This makes it impossible to play the game offline, to resell it, and means that should Ubisoft's servers go down, the game will be unplayable. http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/
Does seem like a little bit of a dick move.

In addition, you have to reload the previous checkpoint if you lose your connection even for a few minutes. This article told me everything i needed to know.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 am UTC

Wow, fuck that. There's DRM that's mild enough that it doesn't bother me, and there's DRM that is a blatant infringement on the game experience. No prizes for guessing which that is.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 am UTC

I wonder how Im going to feel 10 years after 9/11?

Gosh... I can't help but be embarrased about what I was doing when it happaned. :oops:

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 am UTC

I assume I'll feel the same as 8.5 years after it happened.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Ivora wrote:I wonder how Im going to feel 10 years after 9/11?

Gosh... I can't help but be embarrased about what I was doing when it happaned. :oops:

I'll take the bait. What were you doing?
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:07 am UTC

MrGee wrote:

I always have to go into another room away from people to blow my nose because I blow my nose fairly loudly. This often attracts stares which cause me to lock up and not be able to continue blowing my nose because I know people are watching me. Therefore, I have to blow my nose where people can't see me.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:24 am UTC

kaimason1 wrote:

Given the smiley and age, I'm assuming skipping school. And possibly masturbation.

Me, I was sleeping. As was my roommate. Which is bad, because he was supposed to be at work at 9am, a good hour away from the apartment when you take traffic into consideration. I was woken up by a call asking where he was, telling me to tell him to not come in, and to turn the TV on.

Which is a lovely way to start a day. When you're a surrealist.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 am UTC

I once had the idea of adding Jesus to random historical works or into a TV show.

You could include stories and fables from history too.

"Jesus pulled the sword from the stone, proclaiming himself as the true son of God. He then used the sword to chop down the magic beanstalk, killing the giant that was climbing down. Using his magic, genie inhabited lamp he traveled the land kissing every sleeping princess he could find."

Think about it, 'Jesus' Fables', or 'Jesus and Friends', like that lame Garfield cartoon.

You could even turn it into a children's book series.

"See Jesus.
See Jesus run.
Run, Jesus, run."
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

guyy

Postby guyy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:FT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

My university got a great idea a while back. They decided that instead of letting all the institutions manage their own websites, they would put them all on some huge centralized website on a CMS written by a bunch of holwer monkeys with design degrees. Result: [madness]

My school used to have a somewhat old, but functional, email system. Then they decided to merge its login system with the same ridiculously-elaborate-password-requiring system used for the rest of the university stuff. Ever since then, logging in has been a horrifyingly slow and erratic process...when I type my giant password correctly. Though half the time it never finishes loading the login screen. And yet my professors still expect me to check email multiple times a day, what with sending printouts to bring to class the morning of the class, and things like that. Yuck.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 am UTC

Forward it to your gmail? I would be miserable, too, if I were forced to use my school's webmail client every day.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Yeah, my uni has some dismal web-based client that has an allotted storage space of like 14 kB, as well as a mandatory place on 73 mailing-lists that insist on sending out information that could just as easily have been sent as plain-text in the form of humongous PDF files full of fancy image headers and every other day. I just forward everything to gmail and forget about it's existence.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Wheat Thins + Nutella = Yum
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 am UTC

Lazar wrote:

Be proud of being trivial. I am. I cancel a lot of posts, but only because they make no sense/are contradictory.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
kaimason1 wrote:

Given the smiley and age, I'm assuming skipping school. And possibly masturbation.

Me, I was sleeping. As was my roommate. Which is bad, because he was supposed to be at work at 9am, a good hour away from the apartment when you take traffic into consideration. I was woken up by a call asking where he was, telling me to tell him to not come in, and to turn the TV on.

Which is a lovely way to start a day. When you're a surrealist.

I woke up in the morning to say happy birthday to my brother, and everyone was watching the TV. Because of cubic time, it actually happened here sometime late at night, and considering I was fifteen, it's entirely possible I was masturbating at the time.

Mostly at school it was all, "How many people do you think will die?" Conservative estimates put it at 100,000, but one radical was predicting 1,000,000 deaths. I suppose when you factor in the subsequent military excursions, he wasn't too far off.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:53 am UTC

Briareos wrote:Forward it to your gmail? I would be miserable, too, if I were forced to use my school's webmail client every day.

My school's webmail client actually looks you out if you are logged in for more than 45 minutes a day. It's also incompatible with Firefox.

:evil:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:40 am UTC

There's a reason webmail clients other than the big ones aren't often used by individuals. Their interfaces suck.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 am UTC

Briareos wrote:Forward it to your gmail? I would be miserable, too, if I were forced to use my school's webmail client every day.
my school e-mail is gmail. different @, but still it is hosted by gmail. i am told to check my e-mail everyday and do so
ImageImageImageImageImage

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:15 am UTC

I just fixed my clockwork pocket skeleton watch using a rubber (that's "erasor" to you leftpondians), some blu-tack and a pair of scissors. I'm like a modern day MacGyver. :D
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 am UTC

My phone has been kept working only by a small piece of plastic shoved next to the battery for about 3 months now, and has to last another 7 this way to keep me from having to pay for a new one... (Well, maybe. If it dies completely, I might throw it out a window or something to cause damage the insurance will definitely cover.)

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 am UTC

Confusionarizationalating: yay, suffices.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Whenever I hear someone speak of a time bomb, I always go "Awesome! A bomb that blows up time itself!" ... then I get disappointed when I realize it's just something bad that happens after some time has passed.

suffer-cait wrote:
my school e-mail is gmail. different @, but still it is hosted by gmail. i am told to check my e-mail everyday and do so

You could forward it to a personal gmail account as a matter of principle.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

I have 388 words of a 2000 word essay due in just under 2 weeks. I have several pages of notes that I've yet to fully determine the relevance of. I am very sick of Baddeley, but know I still have more to look up by him. I have been in the library for about an hour, and have decided the owner of the laptop several seats down is not actually in the library at the moment and has probably left it here while she goes to a lecture. I will be leaving for a lecture in about 40 minutes and should probably make some attempt to get more work done before then instead of typing rambly posts. Surely I could hit 500 words at least...

Return to “General”