Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (Random like the plague)

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

Maybe it's like turning Japanese.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:多分それはオフのようだ日本.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Great, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all freaking night.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Beware the fury of a patient man.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

This is probably a bit too long for it to be considered fleeting or random, but I want it put down in any case...

One of my closest (if not the) friends from secondary school is dropping out of uni. He'd always been a bit of a slacker in the latter years I've known him, and while coming out with 'good' A-Levels and going to what looked to be a course he'd be passionate for, he ended up failing some modules of his first year course and the result was him having to degrade and retake first year entirely, which he managed. What I'd initially only heard as rumour in the last fortnight, was that he'd slacked off dramatically in second year and skipped exams. I was a bit bewildered when I heard that at first, 'cos he'd certainly not been giving away suggestions that his year had gone tits up like that. Pressing him out of curiosity this week I find he had in fact flunked 2nd year, is not gonna bother with summer resits, will hang around at what-was-to-be-his-third-year-residence, get a job and go from there. And his parents on another occasion last night divulge he'd not handed work in since January.

I know I shouldn't be surprised he's gone and squandered it by dossing away on PC games and whatnot. I do wonder if the course got the better of him and if he expected an easier ride; maybe he just got demoralised I don't know. And the thing is, it's affecting me kinda hard too. It's as if it's giving me some doubts about whether I've still got the passion for my course that I had at freshers' week or the UCAS application days, which isn't helped by the currently void-filled summer I'm having right now. I'd like the next two months to be over asap, hopefully with a passed driving test to show for what has been something so very uneventful. And yeah, I do hope something works out for my friend in the near future, I'd hate to see him being stuck in a dead-end or ending up regretting underachieving.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:This is probably a bit too long for it to be considered fleeting or random, but I want it put down in any case...

One of my closest (if not the) friends from secondary school is dropping out of uni. He'd always been a bit of a slacker in the latter years I've known him, and while coming out with 'good' A-Levels and going to what looked to be a course he'd be passionate for, he ended up failing some modules of his first year course and the result was him having to degrade and retake first year entirely, which he managed. What I'd initially only heard as rumour in the last fortnight, was that he'd slacked off dramatically in second year and skipped exams. I was a bit bewildered when I heard that at first, 'cos he'd certainly not been giving away suggestions that his year had gone tits up like that. Pressing him out of curiosity this week I find he had in fact flunked 2nd year, is not gonna bother with summer resits, will hang around at what-was-to-be-his-third-year-residence, get a job and go from there. And his parents on another occasion last night divulge he'd not handed work in since January.

I know I shouldn't be surprised he's gone and squandered it by dossing away on PC games and whatnot. I do wonder if the course got the better of him and if he expected an easier ride; maybe he just got demoralised I don't know. And the thing is, it's affecting me kinda hard too. It's as if it's giving me some doubts about whether I've still got the passion for my course that I had at freshers' week or the UCAS application days, which isn't helped by the currently void-filled summer I'm having right now. I'd like the next two months to be over asap, hopefully with a passed driving test to show for what has been something so very uneventful. And yeah, I do hope something works out for my friend in the near future, I'd hate to see him being stuck in a dead-end or ending up regretting underachieving.

I ended up blowing my 9th semester at college (you sound English and I'm American, but his situation sounds similar to mine). I stopped going to class completely about halfway through the semester (and didn't attend exams) because I was enormously depressed and lonely and playing computer games to escape. Computer games are not likely the cause of his trouble. Game addiction, if he has one, tends to be a symptom of a larger depression or life crisis. If he wasn't gaming and escaping from the troubles he's having, he might just be lying in bed, unable to move.

You can try reaching out to him, but don't be condescending. He already knows he's not doing the best thing for his future (which would be to apply himself and graduate). But he might feel isolated or depressed or just sick of school, and dropping out is his choice to make. Maybe he's not willing to ask for help, or maybe he doesn't even think he has a problem. A good friend should listen and respect whatever choices are made, in this situation. This is not the time to come down on him with harsh advice (o.m.g. what are you doing, you're ruining your life you idiot!). It will go in one ear and out the other, and you'll be down a friend. Just try to find out what about college he is having problems with. If he lets you help him, cool. If he wants to vent, cool. If he tells you to bugger off, cool. I know that I began hating my coursework (in addition to loneliness and depression), and instead of changing majors a third time I decided to just sod it and quit wasting my money. He could be in a similar situation, you never know unless you ask.

Good luck.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:I ended up blowing my 9th semester at college (you sound English and I'm American, but his situation sounds similar to mine). I stopped going to class completely about halfway through the semester (and didn't attend exams) because I was enormously depressed and lonely and playing computer games to escape. Computer games are not likely the cause of his trouble. Game addiction, if he has one, tends to be a symptom of a larger depression or life crisis. If he wasn't gaming and escaping from the troubles he's having, he might just be lying in bed, unable to move.

You can try reaching out to him, but don't be condescending. He already knows he's not doing the best thing for his future (which would be to apply himself and graduate). But he might feel isolated or depressed or just sick of school, and dropping out is his choice to make. Maybe he's not willing to ask for help, or maybe he doesn't even think he has a problem. A good friend should listen and respect whatever choices are made, in this situation. This is not the time to come down on him with harsh advice (o.m.g. what are you doing, you're ruining your life you idiot!). It will go in one ear and out the other, and you'll be down a friend. Just try to find out what about college he is having problems with. If he lets you help him, cool. If he wants to vent, cool. If he tells you to bugger off, cool. I know that I began hating my coursework (in addition to loneliness and depression), and instead of changing majors a third time I decided to just sod it and quit wasting my money. He could be in a similar situation, you never know unless you ask.

Good luck.
This may not be exactly accurate to the situation, but it fits the last few years of my life so perfectly that I have to second it. I guess the most important thing to keep in mind is that he most likely is aware that he is in a bad situation, and telling him that, directly or indirectly, will only frustrate him more (again, assuming this is at all like what I've experienced, which it sounds like).

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

FT: I never liked away missions. We should just stay on the ship and do science from a distance.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

So I decided my room was dirty. Now, my room is usually messy, but it's rarely ever dirty.
I took action and cleaned every single inch of my room, including reorganizing my drawers and my closet.
The last thing I did was windex off my large mirror, which had gotten rather smudgy thanks to my younger sister.
As soon as I wiped my mirror off, I realized that was the only part of my room that was "dirty" and the only thing that was actually bothering me.

I'm not sure if this is F/R/T, but I didn't know where else it might belong... hmm..
Magnanimous wrote:I used to be really into nostalgia a few years ago. Man, those were the days.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 am UTC

I'm terrible at cleaning because I always get ridiculously obsessive/perfectionistic... Once I found myself wondering how to clean the insides of my lightbulbs.

FT: Badly-punctuated dirty talk is a little hilarious. It's surprising how many people enjoy cumin.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 am UTC

The new set of kitchen scales only measure in grams, as opposed to grams and ounces (to accommodate people like me). This is going to be a confusing couple of weeks, fraught with awful awful food and possibly apron-clad hissy fits.
We tried to make blackberry and pear crumble the other day and ended up using four times the necessary amount of flour.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Why does the eye in the sky have a pink eye? :oops:

NotGrouchy

Postby NotGrouchy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Where does the mare in the lair keep its pink hair? :oops:

Eternal questions! (Fa fa fa faa fa fa faa fa faa fa)

You have a Super Day now !

-NG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., hugs!
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to SPREAD LOVE AMONG HIS FELLOW MAN....
Sungura wrote:I really miss him. Every day. He was pretty snuggly.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:28 am UTC

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 am UTC

Ivora wrote:Why does the eye in the sky have a pink eye? :oops:

Why would an eye have an eye at all? It is an eye. Unless it's some kind of mutant eyeball, with a second, smaller eyeball growing out the side of it?

I'm also interested to know why anyone would suspend an eyeball in the sky.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Ivora wrote:Why does the eye in the sky have a pink eye? :oops:

Why would an eye have an eye at all? It is an eye.

So it can see while it sees.

That was poor, I apologise.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:41 am UTC

Yo dawg, I heard you - NO! I won't do it!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:48 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Yo dawg, I heard you - NO! I won't do it!

I will!

Yo Dawg, we heard you like seeing, so we put an eye in your eye so you can see while you see.

No shame!

Spoiler:
Untitled.png
Yo Dawg
Untitled.png (36.93 KiB) Viewed 3634 times

I realise the picture is a bit rubbish.
Was rushed

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:FT: I never liked away missions. We should just stay on the ship and do science from a distance.

That sounds like red shirt talk to me. Just get down there and die on some unknown planet where no one will remember you.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

It Should Be Real wrote:The new set of kitchen scales only measure in grams, as opposed to grams and ounces (to accommodate people like me). This is going to be a confusing couple of weeks, fraught with awful awful food and possibly apron-clad hissy fits.
We tried to make blackberry and pear crumble the other day and ended up using four times the necessary amount of flour.

I never usually even bother with measuring ingredients when I cook... :/

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

So, if a man and a woman have a child, and the man's father and woman's mother also have a child...
How do you describe the relationship between Child 1 and Child 2? Child 2 is the half-sibling of both the Man and Woman, so does that mean Child 2 is the half-uncle of Child 1... twice? Double-half-uncle?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

The same way you'd describe the relationship between a child and a parent's half-sibling. As far as I know, English doesn't have language to describe something like that, so it'd be Uncle.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

Actually it would be uncle/aunt, regardless. Your uncle/aunt is the brother/sister of your father/mother. There are no "half" uncles. You can have a step-uncle, but not a half-uncle.

The EGE wrote:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

Why can't you have a half uncle? Surely a parent's half brother/sister would be your half uncle/aunt...
Ⓞⓞ◯

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

It's the nature of the concept. Half, or other, they are still the brother of your parent.

The EGE wrote:

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:It's the nature of the concept. Half, or other, they are still the brother of your parent.

Well if we make a distinction between brother and half-brother, then why can't there be a distinction between uncle and half-uncle?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:It's the nature of the concept. Half, or other, they are still the brother of your parent.

Well if we make a distinction between brother and half-brother, then why can't there be a distinction between uncle and half-uncle?

Because the mad ocelot god in my mind is telling me that you can't. You want to argue with the mad ocelot god, knock yourself out.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

The English culture from which the English Speaking World get's it's language doesn't care about the precise nature of relation to someone that distant?

I know, it's not exactly like I'm talking about an eighth cousin, I'm just saying that the language for discussing families and the culture itself seems far more interested in the up-down movement on a family tree than the left-right movement.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Just wondering, what kind of hat is it supposed to be that that hat-dude from the xkcd-comics (does he have a name?) is wearing?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

From what I recall, the consensus is a Pork pie hat. Though it may be a bowler.

BLUUUUUUEEEEEE TEEEEEEEEXXXXXTT!!!!!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Looks like a pork pie style hat to me.

Edit: Damn you, Second Talon! Damn yooouuu!
Ⓞⓞ◯

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Yeah, I should've known somebody had already asked that :D
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

SexyTalon, you have redeemed yourself by posting a link to that thread where I already made many suggestions. Go you!
Ⓞⓞ◯

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Yeah, I was about to say that you were far more verbose the first time around.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Oh deer, I must have reached my peak all redy.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I just figured out who the Black Hat Man is.

He's a raving hobo under the seaside town?
Spoiler:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

You play KoL? I just started again, super cool.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

It's the <beat> Ides of MacGuyver, it's the thrill of the night
Makin' up all the answers for survival
And the last known MacGuyver walks away to the right
And he's watchin' us all on the IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDES of MacGuyver

The EGE wrote:

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

Why isn't there an English word for uncle-in-law? I want to distinguish between the blood relatives in my family and the ones who married in in an easy and convenient way.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Return to “General”