Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:09 am UTC

I want to say "don't do anything stupid" but that isn't what I mean. I mean "don't do that one dumb thing that I'm thinking about, or at least not until I get there."

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I'm always disturbed by people blaming 'the media' as though 'the media' isn't just made up of other people.

those people have a mindset for money though. it's a specific group of people bent on making the most money no matter what the price on society.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 am UTC

as far as I can tell... most people have a mindset toward money. The media isn't the only place. The media gives what it thinks people want. Unfortunately, a lot of the time they're right. That's why MTV is still freakin' huge, and 'My Super Sweet 16' makes me want to carve out my eyeballs with a rusty exacto knife.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Why the hell does my brain seem so focused on the word cookie of late?

whenever I'm not thinking of anything I just think COOKIE! Not even the actual object/substance, just the word. It means that eveyrone thinks I want cookies, when really I don't (well not that badly, I mean I like them, but) but I just like to say the word. and stuff.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:31 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote: 'My Super Sweet 16' makes me want to carve out my eyeballs with a rusty exacto knife.

Really? It usually makes me want to carve out other people's, the ones of people who participate in the show in particular.

@Nyarlathotep: I think because it sounds funny and interesting.

Coooooooooooooooooooooookiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee

Damn it, now you've got me doing it!
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote: 'My Super Sweet 16' makes me want to carve out my eyeballs with a rusty exacto knife.

Really? It usually makes me want to carve out other people's, the ones of people who participate in the show in particular.

COOKIE!
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:58 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Marbas wrote:

COOKIE!

*Twitch*

I do believe we've stumbled upon one of the key components for that "signal" in Cell that causes everyone to turn into a horrible zombie hive mind person.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:37 am UTC

I've just realized that the 'A' key is much more worn than my 'W' key. How the hell'd that happen? I'm pretty sure I go forwards more than sideways in games. Sure, all the WASD keys are worn a little, only natural with such a layabout like me who spends all his time on RPG games. Perhaps it's because I've usually got my finger on the 'W', whereas I press the 'A' on and off. Especially since I'm kind of left-dominant when it comes to directions. Hmm, this deserves some more extrapolation and theorizing...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:38 am UTC

That, and be honest.. you use A more than W when you type.

Look at this post alone... 6 As, 2 Ws.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

schumi_girl wrote:I'm scared of dying; of growing old; of losing the ones I love.
I'm fairly certain there is already a thread about this. Search function ftw.

I am scared of growing up. Like just getting older and having to worry about money and choices and shit. It's scary. It's like my biggest fear but I had the best conversation with my guy about it.

Me: "I don't want to get old. What if I suck at it?"

Him: "Then you'll be just like everyone else."

It was actually the best thing he could have said and it made me feel so much better.

Castaway wrote:Also, if you consider a bell curve for breast size, fewer people have huge breasts, so it makes sense that there is a smaller variety. The same would occur for tiny breasts, but if your breasts are that small, you don't need a bra at all. Also, since buxom ladies need bras, i guess it's easier to make them settle on the point of aesthetics.

Actually there are heaps and heaps of small tiny bras. The widest variety of styles I think. And it's not true that fewer people have tiny breasts, there are just fewer women with tiny breasts. The girls going through adolescence get bras too, and they start of with tiny boobs. Actually every girl has tiny boobs at some time.

pulltheotherone

Postby pulltheotherone » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I've just realized that the 'A' key is much more worn than my 'W' key. How the hell'd that happen? I'm pretty sure I go forwards more than sideways in games. Sure, all the WASD keys are worn a little, only natural with such a layabout like me who spends all his time on RPG games. Perhaps it's because I've usually got my finger on the 'W', whereas I press the 'A' on and off. Especially since I'm kind of left-dominant when it comes to directions. Hmm, this deserves some more extrapolation and theorizing...

I find that wear on keys greatly depends on the kind of key-finger interaction. For example my right shift key is actually has several fingernail grooves in it from me tapping it quite hard and directly downwards with my right ringfinger. No other key seems to suffer this kind of punishment.

Maybe your A key gets worn from having your finger constantly touching it and sliding around it as you move your other finger between the W and D keys. Also, the D key is not as worn? Maybe the A key gets more pressure because that's actually the direction where your wrist is...

Overanalyzing trival matters is nice :)

xooll

Postby xooll » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

I don't like the WASD configuration for movement in games. My ASDF (left, back, forward, right) configuration is much easier on the hands.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:01 am UTC

I've being thinking way too much about zeppelins recently for some reason.... for instance, earlier today I had to help move a huge swing thing over my backyard's fence (the base is too big to fit through the gate, and there's no easy way to take it apart and put it back together again), and when I first saw what we had to do, my first though was, of course, "This would be sooooo much easier if we had a zeppelin."

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:59 am UTC

Master Gunner wrote:I've being thinking way too much about zeppelins recently for some reason.... for instance, earlier today I had to help move a huge swing thing over my backyard's fence (the base is too big to fit through the gate, and there's no easy way to take it apart and put it back together again), and when I first saw what we had to do, my first though was, of course, "This would be sooooo much easier if we had a zeppelin."

It's just because zeppelins are the coolest invention in the history of mankind.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

pulltheotherone wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:I've just realized that the 'A' key is much more worn than my 'W' key. How the hell'd that happen? I'm pretty sure I go forwards more than sideways in games. Sure, all the WASD keys are worn a little, only natural with such a layabout like me who spends all his time on RPG games. Perhaps it's because I've usually got my finger on the 'W', whereas I press the 'A' on and off. Especially since I'm kind of left-dominant when it comes to directions. Hmm, this deserves some more extrapolation and theorizing...

I find that wear on keys greatly depends on the kind of key-finger interaction. For example my right shift key is actually has several fingernail grooves in it from me tapping it quite hard and directly downwards with my right ringfinger. No other key seems to suffer this kind of punishment.

Maybe your A key gets worn from having your finger constantly touching it and sliding around it as you move your other finger between the W and D keys. Also, the D key is not as worn? Maybe the A key gets more pressure because that's actually the direction where your wrist is...

Overanalyzing trival matters is nice :)

The only finger I ever move in WASD is my middle one, since there's no point having a finger on both the forward and back keys at the same time. The 'D' key is actually more worn than the 'S' key, which makes sense since I don't usually go backwards, and the 'A' key doesn't get pressure from my wrist since I rest my left elbow on my leg, which pretty much puts it directly beneath (in 2D anyway) the centre of the WASD.

I wish this discussion was on deviantART, because then I could just go :iconitsamysteryplz: and then you'd lol. But alas, there are no plz accounts on xkcd. Ah well.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Well, I'm feeling kind of sick and dizzy today, so it's totally not my fault that I got all the way to 1 PM before I realized my panties are on inside out.

Yep, I'm awesome. (it's not like one side of these things is really any different from the other side. It's just the principle of the thing.)

I'm tired. Can I go to bed now?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

I heard Stephen Colbert use "blogodome" on his rapport. I've only seen combinations like that used here. Hmm.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

They should build a blogodome. It would be three miles wide, made of the finest crystal glass, and house thousands of bloggers clad in their capes and goggles. There would be a bustling community of the world's top bloggers pouring of pages of data to send out to the world. It would be a pilgrimage for internet goers everywhere, right up there with the the deviantART Gallery, the Zoo of *chantards, and the Mac Gamer.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

It's not going to be good news when I decide working sucks.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:25 am UTC

This sentence,
Wacław Franciszek Sierpiński , a Polish mathematician, was born and died in Warsaw

really threw me off because it combines a passive verb and an active verb; it sounds almost as if somebody is dyeing him.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:Why the hell does my brain seem so focused on the word cookie of late?

whenever I'm not thinking of anything I just think COOKIE! Not even the actual object/substance, just the word. It means that eveyrone thinks I want cookies, when really I don't (well not that badly, I mean I like them, but) but I just like to say the word. and stuff.

I do that. Except with a guys name, every time I get embarrassed or realize I made a mistake or something, his name suddenly flashes in my mind.

fragsta

Postby fragsta » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:20 am UTC

Shizo wrote:I heard Stephen Colbert use "blogodome" on his rapport. I've only seen combinations like that used here. Hmm.

Perhaps Stephen Colbert is a fan of xkcd and a member of the forum..? That would be quite cool.

Quick, someone email him!

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:47 am UTC

Istrom wrote:I do that. Except with a guys name, every time I get embarrassed or realize I made a mistake or something, his name suddenly flashes in my mind.

Out of curiosity, what is the nature of your relationship with this guy?
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

fragsta

Postby fragsta » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:45 am UTC

When artificial intelligence reaches a level where we can create sentient beings, if they use the web will they be offended by websites which have CAPTCHA devices with instructions including the phrase "prove that you are human" or "no bots"?

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:58 am UTC

More importantly, will they put up problems that are difficult for humans to do to restrict access? "Please perform this computationally intensive task to prove that you are a bot."
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

fragsta

Postby fragsta » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:05 am UTC

antonfire wrote:More importantly, will they put up problems that are difficult for humans to do to restrict access? "Please perform this computationally intensive task to prove that you are a bot."

One of the many events that will lead to the human-robot divide, and the eventual war. I know which side I want to be on, for both moral and cowardly reasons.

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:15 am UTC

Random thought: I was just reading The Stand and I noticed there's a soldier with a "recoil-less gun firing 70 gas-tipped bullets per second" and thought, that'd be awesome. Only, how does it work? Could it be the bullet is filled with a gas with lower density than air that's shot out ahead of the bullet as it flies so it can go faster? I've heard of a similar system for underwater torpedoes but using it on land seems silly.

Or mr King could have meant a gas core that'd do interesting things with a bullet and/or its target as it hits. Any ideas?
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 am UTC

If you have the gun shoot two bullets in opposite directions at the exact same time, there should be no recoil.

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 am UTC

I think it works by having a large weight that's mechanically thrown back to counter the recoil. But what about the gas-filled bullets?

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:35 pm UTC

Er, if it fires that fast, it'd have to pull the weight back into position pretty quickly, which gives you the same recoil. Conservation of momentum and all that.

But, yes, gas-tipped bullets don't sound like they'd work too well. Is it meant to be some corrosive gas that gets released when the bullet hits its target?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

My guess would be incendiary.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

There are silent letters that we don't pronounce, like in "thought", but there are also invisible letters that are not written but are spoken.
This implies the existence of letters that are neither written or spoken, the presence of which is impossible to detect. (except, perhaps, through Braille)

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:23 pm UTC

Have you read the Invisibles by Grant Morrison? They have an invisible alphabet with 64 higher-dimensional letters that form words indistinguishable from the things they describe. Funny conspiracy mindscrewy stuff.

zenja72

Postby zenja72 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

I can't stand comedies, because the best comedies make you feel awkward and I hate it. :cry:

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

I agree with Zenja, but it's just those comedies that I hate.

Isn't there this new electric pulse method of firing that does away with most of the recoil? The rest of it could be absorbed by a weighty weapon.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

drosophila

Postby drosophila » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:Or mr King could have meant a gas core that'd do interesting things with a bullet and/or its target as it hits. Any ideas?

I think that some assault rifle bullets have a little bubble in the tip that causes them to tumble on entry for more knockdown power. So that way you can use some copper-jacketed high velocity small bore round that goes really far but can still stop a guy coming at you like the bigger caliber bullets do.

Ima go look for a source...

madjo

Postby madjo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:whenever I'm not thinking of anything I just think COOKIE! Not even the actual object/substance, just the word.

I have a similar thing, but then with the Dutch word for bicycle: "fiets" (that's pronounced as "feats")
Dunno when it started, but at some point it got in my head, and stuck there...
the word that is, not the actual bicycle...
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

drosophila

Postby drosophila » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

I do the exact same thing, with "chicken". And when conversations reach those uncomfortable pauses, occasionally I'll just blurt out "chicken".

PandaFluff
Location: NH 9 months out of the year and PA the rest of the time

Postby PandaFluff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

I just felt like using this thread to vent about my recent thoughts (made about 5.9 times more intense by reading Friday's comic just now).

Anyways, I've been thinking a lot about relationships. My closest friend finished college and his last semester was this past spring. I just moved back to school literally last night, and already I feel completely lost without his companionship. I'm not really sure how to deal with this. I mean, I have my boyfriend, my roommates, and my fencing buddies, but I feel like I'm missing an important part of college. I know it will pass with time... I'm just not sure how to adjust to the fact that we aren't a daily part of each other's lives anymore.

Also, that comic today really hit home for me, because that's one of my biggest fears. I've been through so many relationships, that up until now I thought that I didn't believe in or want a choir of angels to accompany the meeting of my true love. Now I'm starting to think that I want that, and it might be possible for me. But I've had so many relationships get deep enough for me to feel like I could spend my life with the person, so I'm not sure if there is a "true love." In fact I'm inclined to believe there isn't... but I still want it to be true...

Logic and reason have no place here, and I guess that's my main problem.
PF

Return to “General”